Can you see Diogo Dalot stating a serious claim for the RB-position?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's weird he's literally the opposite of what I expected him to be when Mourinho signed him and gave him the big buildup, I expected basically a centre back at fullback, an Ivanavic type I guess
Yeah the hype was there, but ultimately we haven't really seen much to suggest that he belongs at this level.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Clubs wanted him this summer aswell. Hopefully that won't be hard to get the next window.

sparx99

He's obviously still quite young and not played that much football. However, he's kind of average at everything. It's not like he is obviously a wing-back who can't defend. Or like AWB a FB who isn't great at attacking. He needs to have some serious development occur or he won't make it at a top club.

simplyared

Disaster of a game last night. I obviously overrated him grossly. (Yes I started this thread) He's nowhere near a place in our squad nevermind the starting eleven!

NewYorkRed

Typical overreaction to one bad game. Contrary to popular belief, footballers can’t just turn an on/off switch and instantly be good. Defensively he was shocking yesterday, and it is definitely concerning, but AWB is the biggest weak link in our team (yes, even more so than the MF), so I’m willing to give this kid a run of games. Hopefully Ole is too.

RUCK4444

Typical overreaction to one bad game. Contrary to popular belief, footballers can’t just turn an on/off switch and instantly be good. Defensively he was shocking yesterday, and it is definitely concerning, but AWB is the biggest weak link in our team (yes, even more so than the MF), so I’m willing to give this kid a run of games. Hopefully Ole is too.
Over AWB? Just, why?

AWB is many levels above him defensively, we don’t concede that goal yesterday with AWB on the pitch, he is quicker and much better defensively than Dalot. If AWB goes to ground like Dalot does after getting out-paced then he wins that ball 9 times out of 10.

Also Dalot going forward is almost as bad as he is defensively. He’s a terrible signing, no two ways about it, and I’m one who has a LOT of patience with players and managers, but this kid is awful.

NewYorkRed

Over AWB? Just, why?

AWB is many levels above him defensively, we don’t concede that goal yesterday with AWB on the pitch, he is quicker and much better defensively than Dalot. If AWB goes to ground like Dalot does after getting out-paced then he wins that ball 9 times out of 10.

Also Dalot going forward is almost as bad as he is defensively. He’s a terrible signing, no two ways about it, and I’m one who has a LOT of patience with players and managers, but this kid is awful.
AWB’s defensive ability is vastly overrated. I agree, we don’t concede the goal yesterday with him in the side. But his positional play is, frankly, awful for a defender. AWB, imo, and many will disagree, is our worst signing in years. How did they look at THAT and decide he was right for a team like ManUtd? He knows how to tackle, thats. it. He sucks in posession, he sucks going forward, he plays the back pass all the time. He’s not a footballer, he’s a tackler.

So yeah, I’ll take anyone over AWB. Including this kid who had a shocker last night, as least with him I can hope. With AWB there is none.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
AWB’s defensive ability is vastly overrated. I agree, we don’t concede the goal yesterday with him in the side. But his positional play is, frankly, awful for a defender. AWB, imo, and many will disagree, is our worst signing in years. How did they look at THAT and decide he was right for a team like ManUtd? He knows how to tackle, thats. it. He sucks in posession, he sucks going forward, he plays the back pass all the time. He’s not a footballer, he’s a tackler.

So yeah, I’ll take anyone over AWB. Including this kid who had a shocker last night, as least with him I can hope. With AWB there is none.
Another balanced poster. Great.

I agree AWBs positional sense can be poor at times (and Varane has shouted at him a couple of times "go there you plonker!!" In French obviously) but his defending is pretty good and in the last two league games, his attacking play has been A BIT better. Not great, better.

But overall, he's miles better than Dalot. Miles better.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s not good enough in defence or attack

Laird is probably already better

Cantonagotmehere

One bad game? Watch him not even try to track back at the end of the WH League Cup game.

Strelok

I am willing to give him another shot because he is coming in cold. But he was terrible yesterday.
What if De Gea won't be able to save his ass like yesterday, we lose and out of the CL group again because of that?

I watched the highlights couple hours ago and tbh I could find no word to describe his performance yesterday. Of my 25 years watching United I've never seen anything like that from one of our defenders. Even Jones in his worst comical days was miles and miles and miles better than this.

RUCK4444

See now I think your opinion on AWB seems overly harsh. Positionally he needs to improve, I agree, but he makes up for that almost every time with natural defensive ability.

When he’s in form he can shutdown the right side for us and usually keeps the opposition winger quiet.

Where he gets bags of stick is for his offensive ability getting forward. He has rough games but overall, and I said this last season, he has started to improve getting forward, you could see this in his last couple of league games, there were periods last season where he improved in this respect. I think he can improve a lot going forward.

With Dalot I just don’t see the basics required defensively to even build on what is a very poor output going forwards as well, he put one decent ball in yesterday but his crossing in general is SO erratic it makes AWB‘s look like Becks.

And we’ve just never seen really good performance from him have we? Not one. Whereas AWB like him or not was a mainstay for us in our 2nd place finish last season, not that it’s an achievement, but you don’t get there with an awful fullback (that you describe) playing all season.

FerociousCorgis

the problem on a couple was him getting overloaded with multiple players. Cant remember when but one he was clearly trying to call for help, gets 2 v 1 overloaded, thinks lindelof is there to help the inside guy so moves slightly to cover overlap, then the guy gets the shot off because lindelof/anyone else wasnt close enough to help. Yes Dalot was pretty bad, but also wasnt exactly getting help at times

But it is kind of funny how people are forgetting how bad AWB has been defensively when asked to do anything but make a desperation sliding tackle.

rpg

How many times Dalot got skinned yesterday? and that guy who skinned past him wasn't Messi. Plus he is way slower than AWB in going forward.

RedIan

No, hes decent on the ball and can attack well but hes not the defender AWB is. Teh modern game is all about attacking full backs but they have to be able to defend. He got skinned far to easily.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wednesday was a car crash of a performance, his defending hasn't improved at all despite a season of playing in Italy

If AWB gets injured we're fecked

afatzp

Dalot seems not master any new defense tricks during his spell in Milan. Did not even drop gravity to prepare for the take-on , and keep too much distance from his opponent which basically make his defense non-exist.
However, I don't give up on him yet. He actually can be a good crosser with both feet. All he needs is triple his overlapping runs and stop pretending he is Dani Alves and try play-making.

Oranges038

Only looking good because of how shite AWB has been.

He's still not good enough.

UpWithRivers

He's an asset against low block teams. Still not sure I wouldn't trust him against a top LW. Mane, Son etc would destroy him. But I would give him a run of games and see if he improves.

wolvored

Overall I would say hes slightly better than WB as he is now. WB has regressed as a player since he came from Palace. DD is much better forward and poorer defending. RR wants to play with wingbacks, DD is a wing back WB isnt. I would let him play until we get a better option. Of course proper coaching could improve both.

MalaysianRed7

Aside from the Villarreal game where Danjuma twisted him inside out, he has been close to faultless in all the opportunities he’s got this season. Based on this and maybe even last season in his relatively successful loan spell at Milan, he has almost every single attribute over AWB, from technical ability to defensive awareness. I’d only take AWB over him when defending 1v1s, but even in that case, Dalot took care of Zaha today and ESR on Thursday with consummate ease. It’s also obviously a little thing as I’d rather a good player than a passionate player, but I love his obvious passion and sheer will to win. AWB looks absolutely gormless and even a bit arrogant at times whenever he makes a mistake. An ‘oh well’ attitude, if you like.

He is indeed stating a real case, helped by AWB writing part of the personal statement for him. Put it this way, when AWB comes back from his hand injury (should that really be ruling him out?), it’s Dalot’s spot to lose. I’m pretty sure Ralf will agree with that as well.

SirAF

Ageist
He definitely deserves a run in the side now - two very good performances on the trot.

CM

Not really. He's been better in the last couple of games but Dalot has been a defensive liability in the past and I'd be surprised if he's suddenly over those issues.

Still, can't hurt to have a rotation option for Wan-Bissaka. If nothing else it might be a chance to get Dalot in the shop window if we eventually sort the RB position.

Norris Cole

His crossing could be a huge asset under Ralf and his preference for 2 strikers and bodies in the box.

I dont think AWB has the ball control and passing/crossing ability to thrive in this kind of system.

Norris Cole

He isn't the best defending but with Ralf's style that might not be a huge issue - just like TAA for 'Pool.

Reactions: 711

Trex

Zaha might not be the most ruthless winger, but his strength, pace and trickery makes him one the most difficult wingers to go up against in the EPL, for Dalot to handle Zaha the way he did today is impressive, if he continues this way He'll be staying in the first xi. Its up to awb to fight for his spot, the competition is only a good thing for United.

Reactions: 711

arthurka

If his defensive game is a bit shit his offensive game is so much better than AWB that he should get a run in the team. Been very good these two games.

King_Cantona07

Much better than awb. If he can handle Zaha, will be alright against most wingers. Also like taa in Liverpool his main role will be width and attack.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has half a chance after the last 2 games. Lucked out with timing a little, but he's taken his chance for now.

Skills

Snitch
We should've invested game time into him rather than the £50m and 2 years we spent on AWB

MUFC OK

Dalot and Telles both deserve a run in the team. Dalot is still young and Rangnick could teach him how to become a very effected attacking fullback.