Can you see Diogo Dalot stating a serious claim for the RB-position?

Marwood

He’s too slow. That’s his biggest flaw for me. When he attacks, he leaves a lot of space that he cannot make up. I think in his mid to late 20s he’ll adapt and could become a top fullback. But right now might be too early for that.
He's supposed to be one of the fastest at the club.

But I agree, he's the slowest fast player I've seen.

To answer the OP's question though no I can't see it. I don't think Dalot really understands defending.

He needs a good two years in a tough division where defending is battered into him.

crossy1686

career ending
No? I think we've got more aggressive full back options in the reserves. I don't know if he's had the confidence beaten out of him and can't hack a big club or he's just no where near as good as we thought he would be. I really don't see what Ancelotti apparently see's in him.

Nickelodeon

I don't rate AWB very highly. But would still categorize him significantly ahead of Dalot.

The only scenario where I see Dalot becoming an important member of the squad is if AWB gets injured and Dalot actually manages to perform well for a few games in a row. But as things stand, I don't see Dalot being afforded that opportunity.

Having said that, I prefer Dalot over Williams as backup to AWB.

Adamsk7

When he came back this season I was quite enthusiastic. A full season getting a fair amount of game time in Milan and being called up to the Portugal national team when Cancelo left made me quite optimistic.

Within a few minutes of his first game back, he made an absolute howler to concede a goal by totally air balling in a dangerous area then really struggled for pace to get back in. At that point I thought “ah yeah, that’s why I didn’t think he was good enough the first time”

No thanks. Sell while his stock is relatively high

dalriada

I don't like casually writing off young players, he's young enough to improve, but defensively he's naïve and I wonder how he ended up playing at right back, even allowing for the vogue for wing backs. But SAF played Rafael, who LVG said couldn't defend when he let him go.

Andersons Dietician

I think he has all the raw ability and talent but he and Bissaka suffer from the same flaw which is lack of concentration and discipline along with looking quite inexperienced at times whilst defending. Bissaka always has the ace in his pocket that somehow he’s gifted with like The 300 hot gate tackle. So makes him a clear standout and to me near the end of the season he was really starting to improve.

Dalot makes better decisions in attack and has a far better delivery but overall I’d wager Bissaka wins this duel. Think more experience, more maturity they’ll both be good. It’s just can Dalot hang around as 2nd fiddle or would he be better to go elsewhere to get games and forfill his potential. At one point he was considered the most talented fullback in Europe.

Just look at the path of Shaw, Best you g fullback in Europe, to ridiculed by managers fans who said he was crap couldn’t defend, overweight and so on to now arguably the best fullback in the world.

RadamelFalcon

He's better than AWB right now. So yes. AWB is a liability and cost us time and time again with defensive mistakes in key matches last season. Dalot is less error-prone and also better at crossing and progressive passing.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No? I think we've got more aggressive full back options in the reserves. I don't know if he's had the confidence beaten out of him and can't hack a big club or he's just no where near as good as we thought he would be. I really don't see what Ancelotti apparently see's in him.
Who are you alluding to? The closest thing we have in the reserves is Laird (20) and he's on loan to Swansea.

When he came back this season I was quite enthusiastic. A full season getting a fair amount of game time in Milan and being called up to the Portugal national team when Cancelo left made me quite optimistic.

Within a few minutes of his first game back, he made an absolute howler to concede a goal by totally air balling in a dangerous area then really struggled for pace to get back in. At that point I thought “ah yeah, that’s why I didn’t think he was good enough the first time”

No thanks. Sell while his stock is relatively high
You wrote off a player because he made a blunder in his first minutes of the season coming on as a late sub in a preseason friendly? Oh my.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's better than AWB right now. So yes. AWB is a liability and cost us time and time again with defensive mistakes in key matches last season. Dalot is less error-prone and also better at crossing and progressive passing.
AWB is positionally error prone from crosses but that's all. It can be sorted out with a bit of positional coaching.

Every time he has played for us Dalot has been out of position multiple times a game. Also the amount of times he gets beaten by his man is silly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How can you seriously say that :lol: the only thing Dalot is better at is doing some Phil Neville step overs.

Jacob

This video makes him look like a God... Dalot has what AWB lacks and vice versa.

Good vision, progressive passing, dribbling and maybe crossing.

largelyworried

Honestly no, he looks a step below the required quality to me. But it looks like we're having him for the coming season, so let's cross our fingers and hope he steps up.

Pavl3n

I think he's better option than Williams. He's got potential, but there's a lot of work waiting if he's to come on the good end. Offensively he can get you out of your seat, but he can do the same defensively. Can't remember which game was it, but it was him and show vs 1 player down our right flank. He had to step in and clear the ball, but he kept stepping back until Shaw had no option but to commit a foul and get a yellow card.

If no one comes with acceptable offer for him - he's staying. I know the coaching staff will do their best to help him improve and guide him. He'll be in the right environment to do so.
If he shows improvement and has good games, which I believe will be based on his attacking output, then we could even think about keeping him beyond next year and give him more time to show if he can up his defensive game too.

So yes, I see him making a claim, but rather a claim for more minutes. It has to be a drastic improvement in his overall gameplay to threaten Bissaka's starting spot.

Blood Mage

Now this is a sizzling hot take.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
How did he play?
I'll echo what's mostly being said in here - he's a good backup option.

He's very likeable as a person, and works hard. Very professional. But at this time, he's a backup at best (or starter for a EL club)

Spaghetti

Mom's
Sounds like you’ve been reading forums instead of watching games. AWB is a solid defender and improving his attacking game week by week.

Dalot is nowhere near Wan-Bissaka levels of quality or potential.

I’m fine with Dalot being the back up, however.

crossy1686

career ending
Who are you alluding to? The closest thing we have in the reserves is Laird (20) and he's on loan to Swansea.

You wrote off a player because he made a blunder in his first minutes of the season coming on as a late sub in a preseason friendly? Oh my.
Laird and Williams were the two I had in mind, both not technically reserve players anymore, I know

RadamelFalcon

Now this is a sizzling hot take.
I really believe AWB is vastly overrated. He cost us time and time again last season frankly. I could write a book on his mannequin defending in his MUFC career so far and it would be a comedy and a tragedy. Even this season vs QPR and Brentford he was poor. 20/21 he was to blame vs Fulham H, Brighton A, Spurs H, Everton H, Leicester A and worst of all Leipzig A. I could go on. Why is it that people are so quick to say that AWB 'will improve with coaching' despite his many many mistakes, yet with Dalot, he 'will never be good enough'? I see Dalot as better going forward, passing and defending. It's that simple.

davidmichael

When we pay some of these players astronomical weekly wages, its no wonder we cant shift players.
We wanted to send BW out on loan only for the club (Southampton) to pull out due to his 60k per week wages!
Of course and I fully agree that it’s the clubs own fault as Woodward and Judge were basically trying to make out they had the biggest balls around by giving ridiculous wages out for average at best players, I just hope now with Murtough and Fletcher in charge of footballing decisions that stops.

We just have to prepare for the fact it’s unlikely we’ll ever recoup money back on players because of piss poor recruitment and absorbent wages for average players, when was the last time we pulled in a decent fee for a player that was a loss on what we paid ? I’m thinking Welbeck for £16 million to Arsenal.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Laird and Williams were the two I had in mind, both not technically reserve players anymore, I know
I never saw Laird apart from highlights. He excites me but seemed to play more like winger on his loan. Williams had an awful season, looked like disaster waiting to happen in most of his apps. Ole barely trusted him, which is why AWB had so many starts.

Dalot had plenty of starts at LB and RB for Serie A's no 2. They're not some joke team, we struggled against them in the EL.

Blood Mage

Dalot isn't bad going forward, I could honestly see him doing well as a wing-back in a 3 man defence system. But we don't play that system and his defensive frailties just get exposed constantly in a 4231/433. And to suggest that he's close to Wan Bissaka's level is laughable.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
No I think unless AWB gets injured it's his position.

I do think Dalot is a better reserve RB than it is being treated like with all the talk of trippier

sillwuka

I dont think so, unfortunately.

Against the narrative, i think AWB is a more dangerous threat going forward. 4 Premier league assists last season, only behind Shaw, Rashford and Bruno.

youmeletsfly

No, no chance, but if we don't sign a RB he needs to stay. He's decent for a backup, especially in easier games.

Blood Mage

I really believe AWB is vastly overrated. He cost us time and time again last season frankly. I could write a book on his mannequin defending in his MUFC career so far and it would be a comedy and a tragedy. Even this season vs QPR and Brentford he was poor. 20/21 he was to blame vs Fulham H, Brighton A, Spurs H, Everton H, Leicester A and worst of all Leipzig A. I could go on. Why is it that people are so quick to say that AWB 'will improve with coaching' despite his many many mistakes, yet with Dalot, he 'will never be good enough'? I see Dalot as better going forward, passing and defending. It's that simple.
It's crazy to suggest that Dalot is even comparable to Wan Bissaka defensively, sorry. You're entitled to your opinion though.

Dalot is a better crosser than Wan Bissaka maybe? But that's all he really has over him.

Matthew84!

This is pure crap, I've checked up on some of these games and its laughable to try and blame him. Definitely got an agenda against him.

RkkMan

Most of those games you're blaming him for were problems caused by our WHOLE defence not just him. I do agree he needs work especially back post defending but it's comically ludicrous to suggest Dalot is a better option
AWB is miles better at 1v1 defending, tackling and much quicker. You can't trust Dalot against a fast attacker like Mbappe in a foot race for all his faults AWB is much better at keeping fast wingers quiet. Dalot at best maybe has better passing and maybe crossing(marginal difference)but his attacking play is nowhere near good enough to make up for his defending which AWB despite his flaws is miles better at. Between the two AWB has more visible building blocks to develop into a top RB. If Dalot was so good we wouldn't have played a finished Ashley Young, FOSU MENSAH or Brandon Williams ahead of him

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I've never seen him have a half decent game. Genuinely looks useless.

I was wrong once in the late 90's so maybe I will be again.

RedKnight88

I think we might be stuck with him. Not sure how many would want him(for a decent fee anyways).
Bu yeah, I'd gladly ship him off if a £10m-15m offer comes in

One thing I appreciate about Dalot is his love for the Trivela. You can guarantee at least one a match, and he's pretty good at them too. The highlight video posted by @Jacob literally starts with a great example.

Clearly a Quaresma fan.

mancan92

If he can stay fit this season he will have his chances. Let's see if he takes his chances. Out of the defensive positions that's the only one where there is a little opportunity

tomaldinho1

You need to better familiarise yourself with our defensive system under Ole.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Most of those games you're blaming him for were problems caused by our WHOLE defence not just him. I do agree he needs work especially back post defending but it's comically ludicrous to suggest Dalot is a better option
AWB is miles better at 1v1 defending, tackling and much quicker. You can't trust Dalot against a fast attacker like Mbappe in a foot race for all his faults AWB is much better at keeping fast wingers quiet. Dalot at best maybe has better passing and maybe crossing(marginal difference)but his attacking play is nowhere near good enough to make up for his defending which AWB despite his flaws is miles better at. Between the two AWB has more visible building blocks to develop into a top RB. If Dalot was so good we wouldn't have played a finished Ashley Young, FOSU MENSAH or Brandon Williams ahead of him
7/10 they played ahead of him because he couldn't stay consistently fit. Both Mourinho and Ole had zero qualms playing him initially till his fitness made it untenable

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Exactly. He obviously needs to improve in some areas but writing off young players is never a good idea.
Even funnier are the comments 'he can't defend/doesn't understand defending". Like ANY player that clueless would get 21 league appearances in the Serie A for
a Milan. I'm guessing next to none of his biggest critics watched a minute of his loan last season and are just repeatedly judging him off his united past and his first game of this pre season...