Can you see Diogo Dalot stating a serious claim for the RB-position?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It's Dalot's to lose at the moment. But he was once written off as trash similar to how many are doing to AWB now. It's hard not to think that with similar coaching AWB could improve significantly as well. He's basically been out due to injury since ETH has been here, I'd be interested to see if there's any improvement with him under ETHs management and coaching.
Surely AWB is getting the same coaching as Dalot?

Todd

I don't know if he's ever going to be one of the best in the business, but he has definitely improved and at this point I see him as a reliable first choice. Back in the summer I would have said that long-term we needed a replacement for him.

Fully Fledged

In so much that Right Back isn't a priority in the next few transfer windows unless there is a sever drop in form.
We need s striker and a right sided centre back with Varane's attributes but without his injury record.

Ludens the Red

I think we’re 12 games into the season and whilst his defensive game has improved he doesn’t show anywhere near enough going forward when you compare him with other right backs in the league. I think a greater sample size should be waited for ….At the moment we should 100% still be after a right back.

lex talionis

People were down on Dalot because he was playing badly. He wasn't merely not putting in world class performances, he wasn't putting in stolidly dependable appearances either. Even when he was playing regularly under Rangnick, it was one game offensively good/defensively passable and then another that was offensively invisible/defensively abysmal.

He's hugely improved this season though. As you say, long may it last.
Everybody, except De Gea and Ronaldo, played badly last season. Why? I'm sure someone is writing their PhD dissertation right now on the meltdown at Old Trafford last season, but the point is that Dalot was nowhere near as bad as AWB or even Shaw, and of course Maguire. He wasn't great, but wasn't that bad. I recall a lot of 5 and 6 performances but not a single 3 or perform4ance, the kind of which AWB and Maguire specialized in. As for the rest of the squad, they were turning in 3 and 4 performances throughout the season. Once you get past De Gea and Ronaldo, Dalot was actually one of our better performers last season...which perhaps tells you everything you need to know about the rest of the squad last season but it still stands that Dalot was one of our better performers last season. It's hard for a RB to put in top performances when everything around is shit.

edcunited1878

I think we’re 12 games into the season and whilst his defensive game has improved he doesn’t show anywhere near enough going forward when you compare him with other right backs in the league. I think a greater sample size should be waited for ….At the moment we should 100% still be after a right back.
What other right backs are you comparing him with, going forward? You want a RB that's 100% better than Dalot, but also comparable if not better than only a few other fullbacks better than him like Reese James, TAA, Cancelo?

Dalot is the first choice RB. It's extremely clear as day and he's earned it. Continuing to mature and grow as well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Defensively magnificent last game.
Another recent game he was doing everything right too, passing, runs, defending.

Does need to add a bit more attacking skill, but he's given himself a definite chance to have a long run here. From being seen as utterly dire by most before hand.

Foxbatt

He was a young promising FB who came to one of the biggest clubs in the world and had not played even 10 matches in top flight football anywhere let alone in a top league.

Then the manager who bought him got sacked and someone who has no clue in coaching at top level takes over. No wonder he did not improve. Once he is under a top coach we can see the difference.
He has earned his right to be the regular RB for Manchester United.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
In so much that Right Back isn't a priority in the next few transfer windows unless there is a sever drop in form.
We need s striker and a right sided centre back with Varane's attributes but without his injury record.
We still need a back up, as Ten Hag doesn't seem to trust AWB. It might be that Laird is meant to challenge next season but if not, then I think we should look for someone who's either clearly better than Dalot or someone like Malacia who's young and can push for a place while developing.

led_scholes

Surely AWB is getting the same coaching as Dalot?
People tend have started viewing coaching as a panacea.

For example, Savage and Scholes had the same coaches.

No matter what coaching AWB receives he would never become Cafu.

Lee565

He has looked so strong defensively and showing a warrior like quality all of a sudden second to martinez that I wonder if he could even be transformed into a centre back next to martinez in the coming years?

dal

All three of the things you mention there are just wrong. He was always out of position defensively, and usually not paying attention as balls were floated over his head. He’d also give the ball away as soon as he was under any pressure.

At a stretch you could say that yes, he carried the ball forwards, however in the context teams used us getting the ball to him as an opportunity to regain their shape due to his poor use of the ball so allowed him to carry it a few yards.
You probably said the same about Dalot.
He is a terribly average passer. He’s also terrible defensively. Awful positioning, never where he should be and simply only has his trusty slide tackle in his Arsenal.
You probably said the same about Dalot.

Fully Fledged

We still need a back up, as Ten Hag doesn't seem to trust AWB. It might be that Laird is meant to challenge next season but if not, then I think we should look for someone who's either clearly better than Dalot or someone like Malacia who's young and can push for a place while developing.
We do but we have bigger areas that need addressing first is what I'm saying.

tomaldinho1

He was a young promising FB who came to one of the biggest clubs in the world and had not played even 10 matches in top flight football anywhere let alone in a top league.

Then the manager who bought him got sacked and someone who has no clue in coaching at top level takes over. No wonder he did not improve. Once he is under a top coach we can see the difference.
He has earned his right to be the regular RB for Manchester United.
To be honest look across the whole team - Shaw looks switched on again, Rashford’s form is great, Martial looked superb when he’s played, DDG is actually doing some sweeping now, McT has generally been good, the new signings seem to be bedding in well, Bruno genuinely seems a bit more reigned in….we finally hired a coach who is hands on AND (because LVG was also hands on) not semi retired.

quirkey

He has looked so strong defensively and showing a warrior like quality all of a sudden second to martinez that I wonder if he could even be transformed into a centre back next to martinez in the coming years?
What’s the fascination on here with changing players positions? He’s a RB, he’ll never be a centre back. I even heard some on here pushing for AWB as a holding midfielder. We need to get Dalot to sign a new contract and then buy a better RB to ensure a strong squad.

Foxbatt

Who played regularly RB for Jose? I can't even remember now.

Greck

Gloating is unnecessary. I never backed AWB but can't fault people for going where the evidence trended. Everyone has that one they didn't know could be transformed by even Ten Hag.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

What other right backs are you comparing him with, going forward? You want a RB that's 100% better than Dalot, but also comparable if not better than only a few other fullbacks better than him like Reese James, TAA, Cancelo?

Dalot is the first choice RB. It's extremely clear as day and he's earned it. Continuing to mature and grow as well.
Well obviously those three but I’m not expecting him to be at that level yet but ultimately to compete at the top that is the level of right back you need or there abouts, from an attacking view point anyway. But even the like of Cash, Trippier and Castagne are better going forward than he is. I think competition for him would be good, and not someone in the mould of Wan Bissaka which is more or less what ten hag has hinted at.

justsomebloke

Everybody, except De Gea and Ronaldo, played badly last season. Why? I'm sure someone is writing their PhD dissertation right now on the meltdown at Old Trafford last season, but the point is that Dalot was nowhere near as bad as AWB or even Shaw, and of course Maguire. He wasn't great, but wasn't that bad. I recall a lot of 5 and 6 performances but not a single 3 or perform4ance, the kind of which AWB and Maguire specialized in. As for the rest of the squad, they were turning in 3 and 4 performances throughout the season. Once you get past De Gea and Ronaldo, Dalot was actually one of our better performers last season...which perhaps tells you everything you need to know about the rest of the squad last season but it still stands that Dalot was one of our better performers last season. It's hard for a RB to put in top performances when everything around is shit.
....the point being? Dalot vs AWB is not a debate. Unless he sensationally comes back a different player, AWB clearly does not cut it. That is neither here nor there with regard to whether Dalot does.

Dalot had more than a few stinkers last season. That was exactly the problem - his bottom level was really bad, especially defensively, and he showed it too frequently. His player ratings on this site provides a rough guide. He did not have a single 6 or better rating from 12 March onwards (which unfortunately is as far back the results can be viewed on his player page), and was 4 or worse seven times in that timespan. True enough, our back 4 last season wasn't the easiest to play in, but then again he was often one of the reasons the back 4 was bad.

Parting remark to this discussion in general. Some people seem to find it unsatisfying to merely note that Dalot is now playing at a level that makes him a viable starter at RB, and launch into speculation that he could have done this earlier if he had a) been given a chance and b) we had better coaching/management. Pure codswallop in my opinion. He's a 23-year old player who quite obviously is a much more developed player today than he was 3 or 2 or 1 year ago. He showed nothing in 19/20 to merit any notion that he was ready for prime time. His loan season at AC Milan wasn't any more sensational than that United were willing to sell him for 15m, which neither AC Milan nor anyone else was prepared to pay. What do you think that says? And we know how good he was last year, because he played enough to show it. So, what's the point of entirely wishful thinking-based conjecture merely to reinforce an already deeply held conviction of previous mismanagement's shortcomings?

Worse, people mix this up with an entirely unrelated issue; AWBs shortcomings. Let me put it his way: If management sat down in the summer of 2019 and made a completely accurate assessment of Dalot's trajectory and potential, concluding that he'd be ready for prime time in 2022, they would still have done exactly what they did in that summer: Gone out and bought a new RB. Because you can't get by for three seasons with, what, Ashley Young basically. They just made the wrong choice in who they got. Which has feck-all to do with how they rated Dalot.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Because he finally developed physically and gained confidence from the arrival of Ronaldo.

When he first came here he was scrawny and looked nowhere near ready.

wolvored

I read Mendes is trying to get Dalot to Barca, so can see TH buying a RB who will be a starter if Dalot has told him he wants out. He has improved, and has time on his side to get better, but if he does want out, we need to sell in the summer while his value will be higher than forcing him to stay for the extra year.

Son

His form of late and his links to Barcelona tell us he is maturing into a potential world class right back. I’m super happy with Dalot this season.

We need a quality backup or someone pushing him for that starting spot too. Shouldn’t be too expensive if we can sell AWB and buy smart.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His ceiling is far higher than AWB's.
Nothing against those saying lets see AWB in this system. I really doubt he would look that much different. Dalot simply as more ablility on the ball and more comfortable receiving the ball in advanced areas. There was a point Dalot received a high ball controlled it and volleyed a 60 yard pin pin point diagonal pass into the attacker's path (Can't remember the minute). AWB simply doesn't have that in his locker. He's a different kind of RB. But in a system where the fullbacks need to be as advanced as possible and need to make runs inside the channels, I would prefer the player with more ball playing ability.
I have always believed in him.
Imo, his talent was always apparent, just never got a run of games. The other thing is that his improvement actually started last season, not this one.

Golden Nugget

I was never keen on him defensively - but he’s improved a lot this season and was brilliant against West Ham. Hope it does continue as he’s been solid this season.

Attacking wise - I think he’s decent - but obviously can improve on. He usually does go up and at least give passing options - When he does drive into the box, I feel he does well but two areas I’d like to see improved are:

1) Crossing from where ever to Ronaldo. It just hasn’t worked.

2) His shooting. I don’t mind him shooting every now and then, as it makes him less predictable - but my goodness his shooting is bad (has he ever scored from outside the box?) he should just aim his shots to someone’s arm like Kimpembe

Natener

He's a 23yr old fullback. If we had just signed him this season, we would be talking of him locking down the RB position for the foreseeable future.

Elcabron

Villarreal at home was definitely a 2 or 3 out if 10. Danjuma tore him a new one.

Based on current form however he is good enough to be our right back. A poster above said he needs better attacking output but I saw a tweet saying he is second behind Bruno for chances created this season - more than any of our side players.

I'm not sure if there is another right back in the league who has been better than him this season? Tripper maybe.

justsomebloke

Villarreal at home was definitely a 2 or 3 out if 10. Danjuma tore him a new one.

Based on current form however he is good enough to be our right back. A poster above said he needs better attacking output but I saw a tweet saying he is second behind Bruno for chances created this season - more than any of our side players.

I'm not sure if there is another right back in the league who has been better than him this season? Tripper maybe.
I think it's between him, Trippier and James. But there hasn't been huge competition in that position, it's hard to think of anyone further really.

lex talionis

....the point being? Dalot vs AWB is not a debate. Unless he sensationally comes back a different player, AWB clearly does not cut it. That is neither here nor there with regard to whether Dalot does.

Dalot had more than a few stinkers last season. That was exactly the problem - his bottom level was really bad, especially defensively, and he showed it too frequently. His player ratings on this site provides a rough guide. He did not have a single 6 or better rating from 12 March onwards (which unfortunately is as far back the results can be viewed on his player page), and was 4 or worse seven times in that timespan. True enough, our back 4 last season wasn't the easiest to play in, but then again he was often one of the reasons the back 4 was bad.

Parting remark to this discussion in general. Some people seem to find it unsatisfying to merely note that Dalot is now playing at a level that makes him a viable starter at RB, and launch into speculation that he could have done this earlier if he had a) been given a chance and b) we had better coaching/management. Pure codswallop in my opinion. He's a 23-year old player who quite obviously is a much more developed player today than he was 3 or 2 or 1 year ago. He showed nothing in 19/20 to merit any notion that he was ready for prime time. His loan season at AC Milan wasn't any more sensational than that United were willing to sell him for 15m, which neither AC Milan nor anyone else was prepared to pay. What do you think that says? And we know how good he was last year, because he played enough to show it. So, what's the point of entirely wishful thinking-based conjecture merely to reinforce an already deeply held conviction of previous mismanagement's shortcomings?

Worse, people mix this up with an entirely unrelated issue; AWBs shortcomings. Let me put it his way: If management sat down in the summer of 2019 and made a completely accurate assessment of Dalot's trajectory and potential, concluding that he'd be ready for prime time in 2022, they would still have done exactly what they did in that summer: Gone out and bought a new RB. Because you can't get by for three seasons with, what, Ashley Young basically. They just made the wrong choice in who they got. Which has feck-all to do with how they rated Dalot.
We all have different points to make, but my point here is that Dalot always showed the potential to be a solid RB. Not all time great RB, but solid. No one disputes now that Dalot is performing at a high level, but the potential was always there to see even during the miserable season everyone, except De Gea and Ronaldo, offered up last season.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

This bolded bit is pretty amazing when you say it out loud. And absolutely true.

Foxbatt

Yes he was terrible. Really terrible. Never expected him to turn it around but he always had the potential. All he needed was a top coach to develop him.
As for his shooting, yes he has a very powerful shot but his aiming is all over the place. He needs to hit the target.

justsomebloke

We all have different points to make, but my point here is that Dalot always showed the potential to be a solid RB. Not all time great RB, but solid. No one disputes now that Dalot is performing at a high level, but the potential was always there to see even during the miserable season everyone, except De Gea and Ronaldo, offered up last season.
Potential, sure.

scottser

dalot is really making the right full back slot his own, and fair balls to him. we need a striker far more than we need another full back.

peridigm

Dalot has made the RB position his own this season. We need a quality backup. Not sure AWB is that player though. Is AWB even fit again and training? I'm happy with our current FB options at the moment. We have more pressing issues to deal with in the next couple of Windows, as long as Dalot stays on form.

CSMUFC90

Don’t get the ‘he doesn’t offer much going forward’ tag, he’s created loads of chances this season and can take on players with ease at times, he’s only going to get better and he has the personality were after - I trust him and got high hopes for him to be our first choice right back for years to come, just need a solid back up.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
What’s the fascination on here with changing players positions?
Exactly what I was thinking dude. We have a young RB who seems to be on a good trajectory and ... 'can we transform him into ****?' No! leave him being a good RB, he's the only one we have.