Cancel Culture

starman

Not so old video, but interesting take on the subject...

Whats interesting about it? its a video of a clearly defined side talking, mine was with a psychologist professor, who is Ben Dixon? I googled him, just seems like random social media guy. The host is basically your far left Ben Shapiro equivalent.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I dunno, for a start Mel Gibson is still around.
You might wanna take a look at that 5 year gap in his CV followed by a lot of shit talking movies that he was making after that. Everyone who saw it said 'the beaver' was good. But no one wanted to see it because he was in it. It wasnt until ironman did this(below) before he was starting to get accepted back into the fold. But theres still some who think hes a total piece of shit, and will piss on him any chance they get. John Oliver being one who still has sly digs.

Youll notice the comments are turned off.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You might wanna take a look at that 5 year gap in his CV followed by a lot of shit talking movies that he was making after that. Everyone who saw it said 'the beaver' was good. But no one wanted to see it because he was in it. It wasnt until ironman did this(below) before he was starting to get accepted back into the fold. But theres still some who think hes a total piece of shit, and will piss on him any chance they get. John Oliver being one who still has sly digs.

Right, but he's not actually been cancelled has he? Maybe he missed out on some roles for a while. Then at the time of his come back he had all the stuff with his ex-wife come out, guy is still out here starring in movies though.

nimic

something nice
Scout

People deciding not to see a film you're in doesn't mean you have been cancelled.

Norman Brownbutter

Right, but he's not actually been cancelled has he? Maybe he missed out on some roles for a while. Then at the time of his come back he had all the stuff with his ex-wife come out, guy is still out here starring in movies though.
Being cancelled doesnt mean never being able to come back. But hes still not really "back".

Norman Brownbutter

People deciding not to see a film you're in doesn't mean you have been cancelled.
Sure it does. "I dont want to see that movie, because he said/did something I dont like/agree with. And Im going to convince everyone else to think the same.".

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
For all the classical liberals here -
do you believe anyone should ever be cancelled for any reason?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sure it does. "I dont want to see that movie, because he said/did something I dont like/agree with. And Im going to convince everyone else to think the same.".
Boycotting maybe... But cancel culture? not in the slightest....

I mean it has to be something more involved than that right? Because what you're talking about is not a new phenomenon and isn't even a big deal.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Wait, so Mel Gibson isn't s piece of shit?
Nah, didn't you hear, it's just that these days you can't...

Call Jewish people oven-dodgers, say "the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" while shouting about the "fecking Jews", threaten to burn your wife's house down while saying if she gets raped by a "pack" of n-words it will be her fault, downplay the number of Jews killed in the Holocaust...

...without being labelled a piece of shit. What a bunch of snowflakes.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What is wrong with that? Is a bad review of a restaurant or a book also cancel culture?

NotThatSoph

When you really think about it, Britain would still be a colonial power if not for cancel culture.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Nah, didn't you hear, it's just that these days you can't...

Call Jewish people oven-dodgers, say "the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" while shouting about the "fecking Jews", threaten to burn your wife's house down while saying if she gets raped by a "pack" of n-words it will be her fault, downplay the number of Jews killed in the Holocaust...

...without being labelled a piece of shit. What a bunch of snowflakes.
Didn't know about the wife thing, just makes me want to be less of a snowflake and spend my money on his films.

NotThatSoph

Are you a regular watcher of The Last Week Tonight with John Oliver or did you cancel him?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Why did you add that last one? That wasn't part of your original argument, you just said "people didn't want to see it because he was in it". Why does your argument need a conspiracy to work?

Norman Brownbutter

What is wrong with that? Is a bad review of a restaurant or a book also cancel culture?
Thats being very disingenuous to what is happening. It not posting a review, its a continued assault on someones character. McDonalds served me cold chips once, so I now get to start a hashtag saying closedown mcdonalds and spread it to other people so we can all brigade against mcdonalds? I get to go on twitter about post horrible things to mcdonalds every day? I get to abuse mcdonalds so bad that they snap and then use that snap against them?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Thats being very disingenuous to what is happening. It not posting a review, its a continued assault on someones character. McDonalds served me cold chips once, so I now get to start a hashtag saying closedown mcdonalds and spread it to other people so we can all brigade against mcdonalds? I get to go on twitter about post horrible things to mcdonalds every day? I get to abuse mcdonalds so bad that they snap and then use that snap against them?
you have free speech and your personal judgement and you can use it in any way you see fit, including starting a hashtag about cold fries.

Norman Brownbutter

Are you a regular watcher of The Last Week Tonight with John Oliver or did you cancel him?
Why would I rally against anyone? I can just not watch. I dont go onto the internet, make myself a twitter account and post pictures of various water mammals that he happens to look like in an attempt brigade people to hate him.

Yes, I watch last week tonight. I like John Oliver. I dont have to agree with everything he says or does to like his and the entertainment he brings.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So like, what’s wrong with not wanting to watch a film if an actor in it is a known moron?

NotThatSoph

Why would I rally against anyone? I can just not watch. I dont go onto the internet, make myself a twitter account and post pictures of various water mammals that he happens to look like in an attempt brigade people to hate him.

Yes, I watch last week tonight. I like John Oliver. I dont have to agree with everything he says or does to like his and the entertainment he brings.
You don't make yourself a Twitter account, but you do make yourself a Redcafe account. So we have established, at least, that posting negative stuff about people you don't like isn't cancelling in and of itself, because you're not a canceller.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Then why are we pretending that people arent doing that?
you have lost me. do you think people are start hastags about cold fries? is this what this entire thread shoudl be about? and is it the same thing as not seeing mel gibson movies?

Norman Brownbutter

You don't make yourself a Twitter account, but you do make yourself a Redcafe account. So we have established, at least, that posting negative stuff about people you don't like isn't cancelling in and of itself, because you're not a canceller.
Never said it was. But are we really going to pretend that people dont go on twitter to brigade?

Norman Brownbutter

you have lost me. do you think people are start hastags about cold fries? is this what this entire thread shoudl be about? and is it the same thing as not seeing mel gibson movies?
Is this isnt a real conversation, youre just try to get a rise out of me. Fair enough. Have a nice day. Happy fishing.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If you're making up stories, then I assume McDonalds could sue you. If you're saying "mcdonalds burguers are shit, no one should eat there, who's with me?" I don't see a problem.

Are hashtags calling for boycotts on china or saudi arabia for their human rights abuses cancel culture? Nah it's people saying things and trying to convince others, it's the basis of free speech.

Norman Brownbutter

If you're making up stories, then I assume McDonalds could sue you. If you're saying "mcdonalds burguers are shit, no one should eat there, who's with me?" I don't see a problem.

Are hashtags calling for boycotts on china or saudi arabia for their human rights abuses cancel culture? Nah it's people saying things and trying to convince others, it's the basis of free speech.

But "cancel culture" doesnt exist...

NotThatSoph

Lets say you dont like what Im saying in this thread. So you go to other parts of this form and tell everyone Im being an asshole so that they will all come to this thread and abuse me.
Ok...

I'm not sure why this is relevant. Does it mean that saying bad stuff about Mel Gibson or John Oliver isn't cancel culture, but if you try to get other people to join in then it is?

Norman Brownbutter

Ok...

I'm not sure why this is relevant. Does it mean that saying bad stuff about Mel Gibson or John Oliver isn't cancel culture, but if you try to get other people to join in then it is?
Look up at my previous post about Gina Carano. Since I cant seem to explain it every well, Ill let the twitter examples do it for me.