Carrick or Alonso

Fergies Formula

Im having this heated debate with my scouse mate, he is obviously a bit OTT now about liverpool and their title credentials and we moved onto a subject of comparing midfielders, i said that gerrard aside it was pretty even... But then we got onto the topic of who was better out of alonso and carrick, and i think its pretty even, and they both have areas where they are slightly better. He seems to think im bias and cant see the truth.

So what do you guys think, who is better and why?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In terms of ability, Alonso.

In terms of what they've brought to each team, Carrick.

In terms of consistency, Carrick.

Alonso shoots too much too, it irks me.

Leg-End

Carrick is very comfortable on the ball and his passing ability is probably the best in our squad. Alonso is much the same, in fact they are incredibly equal.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Alonso is at his best ( Real Sociedad and champions league Liverpool form) and Carrick at his best, I think Alonso is a more complete midfielder.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Both are competent passers of the ball and both have great shots on them but Alonso seems to be more consistent with his shooting imo. Although, I'd say Carrick is better defensively.

Scholesgoals

i think they are both very similar players.

I think carrick needs to shoot more, but perhaps he is too deep.

They both get a fifa rating of 84 in my book, with special skills in passing and positioning. Carrick is a better ballwinner, alonso a more frequent shot.

Lot 49

Doom
They're equally good and equally underrated by fans outside their respective clubs.

p.s. what do you mean about "aside from Gerrard it's pretty even". You don't think Mascherano would walk into our side?

Lot 49

Doom
Liverpool need Mascherano behind Alonso, to properly protect their back four.

Which says it all about what Carrick offers that Alonso doesn't.

Alonso is definitely a bit more of a goal-threat but, otherwise, it's Carrick all the way for me.
That's just Benitez being overly defensive. Alonso is great defensively, as is Carrick.

Fred the bin dipper

Don't blame me mate, it's everyone else's fault.
This is the same Michael Carrick who cant get near the England team, the same one who found himself behind Jamie Carragher as an England defensive midfielder? the same one was the laughing stock of the caf until you lot signed him and all of a sudden he became brilliant overnight? Alonso is so far ahead of Carrick in terms of technical ability its embarrassing.

Carrick looks a bit better playing for you lot than he did when he was at Spurs because at United he is surrounded by class players. that doesnt make him a class player. United have many top quality players in the side, but Michael Cattick is certainly not one of them. average, and certainly worth nowhere near what you paid for him.

Brwned

That's just Benitez being overly defensive. Alonso is great defensively, as is Carrick.
Carrick's better defensively. Alonso's a bit of a liability defensive at times.

Fred the bin dipper

Liverpool need Mascherano behind Alonso, to properly protect their back four.

Which says it all about what Carrick offers that Alonso doesn't.

Alonso is definitely a bit more of a goal-threat but, otherwise, it's Carrick all the way for me.
bit of a myth that. Xabi and Masch have played as a two more often than not this season, and if you even watched yesterdays game, you'd have noticed that Alonso was often the deepest midfielder. and Alonso is many things, but he is certainly not a goal threat, infact, his lack of goals is his only major downside.

Lot 49

Doom
Carrick's better defensively. Alonso's a bit of a liability defensive at times.
Nonsense, Alonso is as much of a defensive liability as Carrick is, so none at all.

In both 05/06 and 06/07 Liverpool only conceded 3 goals less than the team with the best defensive record in the premiership and Alonso was the main defensive midfielder in both those seasons. Granted Sissoko played a fair bit in the first year but he was a genuine liability who played defensive midfielder as though he was a bowling ball and the opposition were fecking pins.

Merman

Alonso was a great player before he came to liverpool. Just a shame that rafa ruined another great career.

Scholesgoals

This is the same Michael Carrick who cant get near the England team, the same one who found himself behind Jamie Carragher as an England defensive midfielder? the same one was the laughing stock of the caf until you lot signed him and all of a sudden he became brilliant overnight? Alonso is so far ahead of Carrick in terms of technical ability its embarrassing.

Carrick looks a bit better playing for you lot than he did when he was at Spurs because at United he is surrounded by class players. that doesnt make him a class player. United have many top quality players in the side, but Michael Cattick is certainly not one of them. average, and certainly worth nowhere near what you paid for him.

How much was robbie keane?

normally the scousers on here are a pretty reasoned bunch (st Red MnM) but you are a total muppet. Carrick has improved an incredible amount after his first season, its no surprise that with carrick as the new addition to the side we managed to win the league in 06/07, and a major factor behind that was his partnership with scholes.

also, other english players that are too shite for the england team

Steve Bruce
Andy Cole
Ian Wright
Paul Scholes (latterly, to make way for "mr liverpool" the hollywood ball extraordinaire)

so hows about you shuttah the feck up eh?

Fred the bin dipper

normally the scousers on here are a pretty reasoned bunch (st Red MnM) but you are a total muppet. Carrick has improved an incredible amount after his first season, its no surprise that with carrick as the new addition to the side we managed to win the league in 06/07, and a major factor behind that was his partnership with scholes.
we were mugged on Robbie Keane in much the same way you were for Carrick. A defensive midfielder was what you needed and you signed Carrick. just because he plays for you doesnt automatically make him brilliant, he is a decent player, but he isnt brilliant, and he would certainly get nowhere near the midfield of us or Chelsea, in the same way Robbie Keane would get nowhere near your team

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
This is the same Michael Carrick who cant get near the England team, the same one who found himself behind Jamie Carragher as an England defensive midfielder? the same one was the laughing stock of the caf until you lot signed him and all of a sudden he became brilliant overnight?
No, he has improved by about 300 per cent since then.
Alonso has not improved much and has also slowed a fair bit.
Both good midfielders but Carrick's passing towards the end of last season was unequalled imo.
Carrick must be sh1t now because we haven't heard anything about him for ages and he hasn't been playing for England.
Or he could have been injured I suppose..

Merman

Carrick looks good in a great team and Alonso was average in an average team. Not much between them using your logic.

Fred the bin dipper

Steve Bruce
Andy Cole
Ian Wright
Paul Scholes (latterly, to make way for "mr liverpool" the hollywood ball extraordinaire)

:lol:

Andy Coles international record was shite. 1 goal in about 20 games. Ian wright had a decent international career but happened to play at the same time as shearer and sheringham. Scholes opted out of international footie himself and so i'm stumped on why you incuded him. how Bruce never got capped i dont know

Brwned

Nonsense, Alonso is as much of a defensive liability as Carrick is, so none at all.

In both 05/06 and 06/07 Liverpool only conceded 3 goals less than the team with the best defensive record in the premiership and Alonso was the main defensive midfielder in both those seasons. Granted Sissoko played a fair bit in the first year but he was a genuine liability who played defensive midfielder as though he was a bowling ball and the opposition were fecking pins.
Alonso has played with Sissoko and Mascherano throughout his Liverpool career in centre mid, Carrick has played with Scholes and Anderson for the majority of his.

There's a big difference. If Alonso played in this team we wouldn't be as defensively solid.

Alonso's not a defensive midfielder either. :confused:

Gazza

we were mugged on Robbie Keane in much the same way you were for Carrick. A defensive midfielder was what you needed and you signed Carrick. just because he plays for you doesnt automatically make him brilliant, he is a decent player, but he isnt brilliant, and he would certainly get nowhere near the midfield of us or Chelsea, in the same way Robbie Keane would get nowhere near your team
Do you mean Carrick wasn't the player we needed? Because 2 league titles and a European cup would make a mockery of that.

Merman

Steve Bruce
Andy Cole
Ian Wright

You forgot Carra, the best defender in the world.

lesclaypool

I don't know about him being a laughing stock beforehand but Carrick had a great season with Spurs when they almost managed to finish 4th... Alright, the fee was extortionate but he's proven that since he's been here, he was worth the money, as he was exactly what we needed at the time. The two seasons he's been here, we've managed to win 2 league titles, and a Champions League... Now while you're right that we've got many other top quality players, he still had an important role in what we've won. He was one of our constants last season when fit, and you only have to look at his starts for us, relative to the trophies we've won to see that he's totally worth his place in the side.

BTW, isn't this the same Alonso that you were willing to offload to get Barry in?

Fred the bin dipper

Do you mean Carrick wasn't the player we needed? Because 2 league titles and a European cup would make a mockery of that.
i think there are better than Carrick out there yes. I'm not disputing what he won, Djimi Traore won a European Cup at left back, it doesnt make him a world beater. Carrick is a good player, but nowhere near as good as the central midfielders as Liverpool or Chelsea

St Red

KRAP
I actually quite admire Carrick as a player.
His gait when on the ball reminds me of Alan Hansen, he looks very comfortable.
As to whether he's better than Alonso, clearly I'm going with Xabi, but Carrick is also a good player.

Merman

thats total bullshit mate, you do make yourself look silly saying that
If you ever watched Alonso before he came to liverpool, you wouldn't say that. Alonso at his best is on a different level to Carrick. And he is not the only player who turned shite after playing under Benitez.

Fred the bin dipper

I don't know about him being a laughing stock beforehand but Carrick had a great season with Spurs when they almost managed to finish 4th... Alright, the fee was extortionate but he's proven that since he's been here, he was worth the money, as he was exactly what we needed at the time. The two seasons he's been here, we've managed to win 2 league titles, and a Champions League... Now while you're right that we've got many other top quality players, he still had an important role in what we've won. He was one of our constants last season when fit, and you only have to look at his starts for us, relative to the trophies we've won to see that he's totally worth his place in the side.

BTW, isn't this the same Alonso that you were willing to offload to get Barry in?

I'm not disputing his role in the team, he plays a very important role for you. but he isnt as good a player as Alonso, which is what the thread is about, he isnt as good as Ballack, or Mascherano, and there are many others.

vuc

First Team Serb
People seriously underrate Alonso's defensive abilities. I think there was a stat somewhere which had Alonso making more interceptions then any other midfielder.

Carrick is a great for me but when Alonso is on top form there is no debate that Alonso is better IMO.

Also Liverpool's form this season is largely down to the way Alonso has played. Liverpool always struggle when he is not in the team, and when he came back last year they went on an amazing run.