Carrick signs 1 year extension

dann496

Very reasonable decision as well as always good to have someone as Carrick as your midfield option.
He will be the experience and influence source in our team. Love this..

AgentP

Great news as long as this extension doesn't change our plans to sign a midfielder. We should use him the way Fergie used players like Giggs and Neville in their final few years.

Miscemayl

Good, we need him to keep the home grown numbers.

There are other home grown players that we should get rid of.

ricky-romeo

Good news and the right thing to do as he and rooney are the only two seniors left in the team (plus tony v) and rooney might be leaving.

Pogba, herrera, fellaini and carrick. One more CM please.

BigCaine

Great news as long as this extension doesn't change our plans to sign a midfielder. We should use him the way Fergie used players like Giggs and Neville in their final few years.
Actually this is exactly what we should be fearing. Neville retired after he was utterly and completely destroyed in his last match. Who could forget giggs playing in mf in a cl final against fecking barcelona. As much as i like fergie he lost his ruthlessness in his last few years. Keeping carrick will mean we will sign atmost 1 mf which clearly is not enough.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Good news and the right thing to do as he and rooney are the only two seniors left in the team (plus tony v) and rooney might be leaving.

Pogba, herrera, fellaini and carrick. One more CM please.
I expect Andreas to be in the first team reckoning too. I think Carrick will be used largely on bench or in cup games plus it's rumored that he'll have a coaching role in U23's too.

Norris

My favourite player at United right now. Glad he got an extension. He still can offer the team valuable experience and great tactical discipline. I hope we still bring in a DM though to reduce the burden on him.

BenjaminP

One of my favorite Unsung Heroes from Fergie era, alongside with Park and Fletcher

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I reckon Jose views next season as another transitional one, and his bosses are ok with that.

SteveJ

Scout
Because it's unreasonable to expect near-instant major success no matter how much money we spend.

darioterios

Because it's unreasonable to expect near-instant major success no matter how much money we spend.
I'm just a bit unclear how the team's chance to challenge for major success may or may not specifically be connected to Carrick extension

SteveJ

Scout
I'm just a bit unclear how the team's chance to challenge for major success may or may not specifically be connected to Carrick extension
Yeah, I didn't explain my POV well. I meant that I suspect Jose isn't being too drastic in overhauling things because United returning to past glories is a gradual WIP.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yeah, I didn't explain my POV well. I meant that I suspect Jose isn't being too drastic in overhauling things because United returning to past glories is a gradual WIP.
I hope you're wrong! If reports are correct and we sign another 4 players and spend c150-200m, there's no way we shouldn't be challenging. That would be 8 players Mou would have brought in which is almost a new team. LvG was sacked for a second poor season and i fully expect the same if Mou performs the same in his second season.

Back on topic, I'm pleased with the carrick extension, he's still quality and would be a major asset if used correctly, I.e. Shouldn't be starting 3 games in a week!

AndyJ1985

As long as we sign a CM and Carrick only makes occasional appearances, that's fine. If he's still a regular starter next season I'll be worried.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
every legend at United seem entitled for a year salary past his expiry date

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Big fan of Micky C. If he can start coaching the kids and Dier (if we get him) on the arts of composed defensive midfield play, then he's worth keeping for as long as we can.

On the pitch there will always be many games in a season where his skillset is a valuable asset in a starting or substitute capacity. Absolutely no problem with him being a squad player for another year or 2 yet.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The difference, for me at least, is that Carrick still has something to offer. Hopefully we sign a new DM and that new DM can learn from and rotate with Carrick. Sure, Carrick wasn't great in every game this season, but he still showed he can still play at this level if used the right way.

We need an rvn

definitely not a first XI guarantee I agree, but think this is good news as he's a good squad player and can still contribute when called on. We have played better with him on the pitch at times, but need someone who can do it 40+ games a season and put Carrick on when the player needs a rest

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The only way I can see us get something out of Carrick is to stop seeing him as a DM. Lets bring somebody to do the dirty work and allow Carrick to play the Pirlo role

Yagami

Good post resistant
The only way I can see us get something out of Carrick is to stop seeing him as a DM. Lets bring somebody to do the dirty work and allow Carrick to play the Pirlo role
I agree with you.

Kostur

海尔的老板
As much as I like Carrick I'm not sure I like this decision. For me he's had more questionmarks over him this season than he had pluses.

settembrini

I always like to see people being happy with a contract extension and then saying something like 'provided he hardly plays'.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I am and always have been a huge Carrick fan, but he did struggle a bit the last two years.

What I am hoping is that during his good patch this season he may have been overplayed, which is why he fell away in the second half of the season. Maybe if we spread out his games a bit more he can keep up that level for most of the season.

bobglory

never rated him in the fergie era as he would just get the ball and give it to scholes but who wouldn't i guess , once scholes left he kinda came into his own . has a great calmness about him and a classy passer of the ball and even tho his legs have kinda gone its the right move to keep him for another year.
you never know how a new signing is going to settle (especially foreign ones ) so it would of been kinda foolish to get rid of him .

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Smart move from Mourinho, fits in with the general quality of players the club is aiming at right now.

Lets hope that Rooney and Young will soon sign their extensions aswell because their tremendous experience and british nationalty will be invaluable for the club next season, especially now that we are back in the CL.

If we are lucky Ibra will accept staying with us for another season if we keep paying him £340k a week throughout his injurry and that will assure us we have the best striker in the world available to play for us for a couple more months.

All that remains is to add the likes of Keane and Dier and we will be all fired up to mount a serious CL challenge next year.

It is as if we just don't want to play good football at all...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Unexpected but not unwelcome.

Vida5Nick

NFP
Great. Still a very good passer and a good option to have for extra CL and cup runs that come with rotation. After the lesson we learnt from this season with injuries, this is welcome.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Has no influence on who we're going to buy, really. We were always going to buy a defensive midfielder. Although if Carrick went, we might had to add another one.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I expect Andreas to be in the first team reckoning too. I think Carrick will be used largely on bench or in cup games plus it's rumored that he'll have a coaching role in U23's too.
Yeah. Bar Dier, we've not really been linked to a midfielder so this news was to be expected.

MadMike

Good news, but I still hope we go out there and buy a very capable CM.

I don't really want us to be playing either Carrick or Fellaini as starters whenever we play 4-3-3 next year. Unless it's because of injuries or suspensions.

Another very high quality CM is definitely required after moving Bastian and Morgan on.

Zlatattack

I'm glad he's signed. He's still a very good midfielder when started sparingly or bought on when we need to protect a lead.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Fine, I guess... :p Hope he'll mostly be here in a coaching capacity and as a backup. He struggled to do well for much of this season. We still need to sign two great midfielders (a DM and an 8) this summer if we are to compete on all fronts next season.

Sterling Archer

Exactly. I was a tad nervous opening this thread that there might be a ton of boos and whistles because of his age. Good to see it's not the case.

We need senior Manchester United personalities in the squad. Forget his pitch time, the contract is surely about training and the locker room culture. That said, I bet he can still earn 20-some appearances off the bench with a couple starts here and there.

Klopp_De_Klown

FFS. Hope this doesn't mean we're not signing a Carrick replacement.
Yea and judging by Joses words he values him as much round the dressing room as on the pitch.

But, as MrSingh2002 said we also need his understudy to come in, and learn some good habits from Carrick. His experience, in the face of so many that have left in recent years is very much needed if we have any chance to keep progressing back to the top.