Carrick

Classy Cannon

Left Back <font face="Arial"color="White"> in the
I might be wrong but Carrick was tracking Olics run from midfield which would mean Rio and Vidic taking over would be pretty stupid given that he has the run on them
Rio came out from the back looking to get to a play he had no chance of making. If he'd stayed where he was carrick could have just passed him on - I might be wrong though:p.

botond

if he doesn't fall on his face like a girl , olic does not have a clear shot
lost possession that led to the corner
missed a sitter

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Why are people blaming him for the first goal? .
Because he has no fecking business letting Olic score. After all it was he playing Olic on side. Which led him to being the one marking him

Where were Rio and Vidic? Rafael was caught well out of position as well. Shocking defending on all accounts but at least Carrick got back and tried to do something...
:lol: Lord almighty!:lol: Are you for REAL!!! :rolleyes:

You want to call defending like primary school kid''doing something'':houllier:.

I mean common! If another player had done that you'd be screaming blue murder right now.

MrK

Far too weak for the first goal, and caught dawdling badly in midfield before what led to the second.

Puzzling because in 06/07, 07/08 he was brilliant.

In those seasons our forward line had Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Saha, we had a hell of a lot of movement up there, and mostly played in a 4-4-2. Now we're far less fluid up there, a lone striker being shepherded by two centre backs, and wide players who tend to stay fairly wide, with little support from midfield. That sort of negates Carrick's main skill - finding players running into space with medium/long range passing.

I think the change in our style of play has had a massive effect on how useful he is to us.

SCM

Carrick has been poor all season and being brutally honest he has now been found out as a midfielder by the opposition. They know if you rush him he cant handle it and runs out of ideas of what to do to get out of the situation. He has had all season to adapt to counter this and he is still exactly the same player with no idea of how to deal with the oppositions pressuring of him. Started against Barcelona and continued into this season.

I have been saying he is out of form and needs to work hard to get back but based on when i said this last he has shown no effort since to sort out the aspects of his game that have been targetted by opponents. If it wasn't for Scholes, Giggs not being able to play all the time and Hargreaves out still Carrick would be spending more time on the bench only playing against teams where the way he plays suits the team we are facing.

Next season will be a big one for Carrick as if he cant improve the weaknesses that are now in his game he may not feature much if Hargreaves comes back to form or if SAF buys in a midfielder to strengthen the team.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Bad mistakes but not the only player to blame, VDS was beaten from a ridculously narrow angle, Carrick moves to block Robbens shot whislt everyone else gawps, wheres the support?

Also very short memories, he has been a mainstay of our central midfield for three seasons which have been as successful as we've ever had, players have bad seasons

Eriku

He looks like a kid fresh out of the academy and new to the bigtime. Worrying because he is capable of much better.
Yup, it's true... but you don't lose faith in him just because of a poor season. It's happened to better players. We've had full seasons where the general United supporter would be moaning over Giggs consistently. He's bossed the midfield (along with Fletcher, fair enough) against Inter at the San Siro... They couldn't do shit the first 20 minutes. Prolly the most glorious start of any away tie in the knock-out stages of Europe that I've ever seen, in terms of controlling the midfield (well... neverminding Barcelona.)

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
I can see that he's been consistently poor... utter utter shite is the kind of hyperbole that doesn't really serve the discussion
Fair enough.

It's just that the way you say it makes it seem as if you think that Carrick lucked his way through the first two seasons (he was excellent up till the last month and a half or so of last season,) which I find to be silly.
Not at all, he was under appreciated excellence in his first two seasons but since Rome he's largely for some reason (I'd love to know why) been shot - a passenger in many respects. He's had good games now and again and his fan boys will be quick to point that out but consistently United standard ? Nah, a long way off.

Eriku

Not at all, he was under appreciated excellence in his first two seasons but since Rome he's largely for some reason (I'd love to know why) been shot - a passenger in many respects. He's had good games now and again and his fan boys will be quick to point that out but consistently United standard ? Nah, a long way off.
Arite then, no disagreements here then. I'm just saying I'd not moan if he's here next season, as a part of Fergie's plans. Form is temporary, etc.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Hopefully we can offload him this summer for around £10m.

I'm sure Spurs will have him back, they can give us Modric in exchange.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Been shit since that final last year. Who knows what went on, perhaps Fergie laid the blame at his feet.

He's had up and down spells every season with us. Only difference being his good spell this year lasted about 2 games.

beergod

Carrick has been poor all season and being brutally honest he has now been found out as a midfielder by the opposition. They know if you rush him he cant handle it and runs out of ideas of what to do to get out of the situation.
This. We need a better option in his position for the big games because this issue isn't going away. I have no issues with Carrick for games where teams don't/can't press him hard but we badly need another option.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
I'm just saying I'd not moan if he's here next season, as a part of Fergie's plans. Form is temporary, etc.
Me too. I'd love for the hurt to hit home and he grows a pair and turns it around and shows us what he's capable of but I'm not going to pull the wool over my own eyes and pretend all his is well with his performances of late. I'd absolutely love to know what has gone wrong, I've a sneaking suspicion he's not been 100% fit all season. Certainly not 100% right in the head anyway.

Salvation

Damnation
Even though his individual mistakes should be scrutinized and Carrick must be criticised; until the sending off, the Carrick-Gibson-Fletcher midfield was as good as it got for United this season.

All three contributed their part, including Carrick, who was picking players out as the Carrick of old used to.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
This. We need a better option in his position for the big games because this issue isn't going away. I have no issues with Carrick for games where teams don't/can't press him hard but we badly need another option.
Thats a ridiculous thing to say, teams always press United, have done since Carrick got here, it's nothing new

askabob

Stop laying the fecking blame on Carrick every single fecking game. Yes, we know that he is not at his usual best, but give the lad a fecking break. Without him, we would be fecking useless, and although his contribution may seem little if none at all, believe me, he is a vital part of this team. He slipped for the first goal when he was trying to head the ball out, and there was absofeckinglutely nothing he could do about Robben's strike. In fact, some of his passes in the first half were absolutely magnificent - especially a 40 or 50 yard pass to Nani. fecking hell, people need to stop looking for scapegoats every time we fecking lose. We lost because we were complacent and careless and lost concentration. It was a collective effort that we lost - not because of one player. It's a hard pill to swallow but get the feck over it - we are Manchester United but that doesn't give us the right to win every game or criticize one of our players whenever he is off form.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Sell Sell Sell

Totally and utterly useless, I'm completely sick of seeing him swanning about Old Trafford as if he's Xavi; he's been diabolical all season and whenever we really need him he fails. It's just like the period after Schmiechael when we persisted with a string of sub par goalkeepers, otherwise we had good teams they were just let down by one position. We have a wonderful defence, good wingers in Valencia and Nani, an enviable front line and a great central midfielder in Fletcher why can't we just buy someone to play alongside him who can hold on to the ball?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Bad mistakes but not the only player to blame, VDS was beaten from a ridculously narrow angle, Carrick moves to block Robbens shot whislt everyone else gawps, wheres the support?

Also very short memories, he has been a mainstay of our central midfield for three seasons which have been as successful as we've ever had, players have bad seasons
Fair point

But for me Carrick hasn't looked anywhere near his best since the final against Barca last season. Any small mistake from him in a match seems to result in him losing his composure completely, the head drops.

As we all know, Fergie sets one question every summer "Have you still got the hunger?"

Carrick needs to pull up his socks pretty quickly because i bet the eye of Fergie is casting in his direction now that we're nearing the end of the season

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Stop laying the fecking blame on Carrick every single fecking game. Yes, we know that he is not at his usual best, but give the lad a fecking break. Without him, we would be fecking useless, and although his contribution may seem little if none at all, believe me, he is a vital part of this team. He slipped for the first goal when he was trying to head the ball out, and there was absofeckinglutely nothing he could do about Robben's strike. In fact, some of his passes in the first half were absolutely magnificent - especially a 40 or 50 yard pass to Nani. fecking hell, people need to stop looking for scapegoats every time we fecking lose. We lost because we were complacent and careless and lost concentration. It was a collective effort that we lost - not because of one player. It's a hard pill to swallow but get the feck over it - we are Manchester United but that doesn't give us the right to win every game or criticize one of our players whenever he is off form.
With him we are fecking useless.

SCM

Thats a ridiculous thing to say, teams always press United, have done since Carrick got here, it's nothing new
But since the Barcelona game and into this season Carrick has been struggling to deal with the opponents targetting him for extra pressure when he is on the ball. He should be able to adapt his game to counter this but based on this season he hasn't worked out what to do yet, he needs to sort this out for next season or he will keep on struggling.

championo

Top Stalker
Carrick is getting murdered online. I hope he does not go on blogs and forums.
Players like Carrick need players like Ronaldo for quick release. The type of ball Ronaldo can control is streets ahead of the type of balls Valencia can receive and still maintain possession. Carrick is a thinker, when he gets the ball, he is looking for players making runs and if his first scan does not reveal anything, then he gets into trouble.
We need a ball magnet. I hope the kids coming up have some ball retainers in there. You might argue that we have Nani, but he is not strong enough, he has all the skills in the world, but he can be pushed over.

IhabX7

Bad defending from Carrick but I think Van Der Sar could have done better.

RedDevil [NC]

In the Mountains of NC watching United like its my
Carrick is getting murdered online. I hope he does not go on blogs and forums.
Players like Carrick need players like Ronaldo for quick release. The type of ball Ronaldo can control is streets ahead of the type of balls Valencia can receive and still maintain possession. Carrick is a thinker, when he gets the ball, he is looking for players making runs and if his first scan does not reveal anything, then he gets into trouble.
We need a ball magnet. I hope the kids coming up have some ball retainers in there. You might argue that we have Nani, but he is not strong enough, he has all the skills in the world, but he can be pushed over.
He showed otherwise tonight!

johnmufc

In those seasons our forward line had Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Saha, we had a hell of a lot of movement up there, and mostly played in a 4-4-2. Now we're far less fluid up there, a lone striker being shepherded by two centre backs, and wide players who tend to stay fairly wide, with little support from midfield. That sort of negates Carrick's main skill - finding players running into space with medium/long range passing.

I think the change in our style of play has had a massive effect on how useful he is to us.
That's definitely true to an extent. Our style of play has taken a change. Probably for the worst; certainly so in Carrick's case.

Carrick has been poor all season and being brutally honest he has now been found out as a midfielder by the opposition. They know if you rush him he cant handle it and runs out of ideas of what to do to get out of the situation.
So you're saying at the age of 28 Carrick's been 'found out?' But in his days at Spurs and his first 3 seasons at United he was an unknown entity? What kind of logic is that? Nonsense is what it is.

He's in poor form and is finding it difficult to adapt to team and style of play in transition. No longer do we have a settled and consistent midfield nor do we have a fluid and hard-working forward line.

Even though his individual mistakes should be scrutinized and Carrick must be criticised; until the sending off, the Carrick-Gibson-Fletcher midfield was as good as it got for United this season.

All three contributed their part, including Carrick, who was picking players out as the Carrick of old used to.
Two good posts.

Shimo

Every ball that was ping out to Valencia and Nani today were instantly controlled. I can't think of many balls that Carrick has sprayed that were like OMG if that was Ronaldo ...

I am usually a staunch supporter of all our players but, I think Carrick has me at the breaking point when it comes to him.

Edit: The mainstay in previous season argument is a bit eh for me. Sure he's contributed heavily and for that we should give him our respect but, more and more he is not delivering for us and found to be wanting. He needs to pull it together or someone else needs to come into his place.

Eriku

Sell Sell Sell

Totally and utterly useless, I'm completely sick of seeing him swanning about Old Trafford as if he's Xavi; he's been diabolical all season and whenever we really need him he fails. It's just like the period after Schmiechael when we persisted with a string of sub par goalkeepers, otherwise we had good teams they were just let down by one position. We have a wonderful defence, good wingers in Valencia and Nani, an enviable front line and a great central midfielder in Fletcher why can't we just buy someone to play alongside him who can hold on to the ball?
Who'd you prefer to get in instead? He's shown that most central midfielders in the world can't really upstage him when he's on song... He's not, right now, but feck me... this only seems like a huge catastrophe because we've had Keane, Scholes, Robson, Ince, etc... we've mostly had a solid central midfield... We had a couple of seasons with Fletcher coming through but not being quite up for it yet, Kleberson, Djembax2, and then we spend a fair bit of money on Carrick, who's not proven internationally. What does he do? He becomes a BIG part of making our midfield look up for the bigger occasions... We get to the CL semis with too many injuries to our backline and the ball falling kindly for Milan, out we go. A narrow loss to Chelsea at Wembley, where we've seldom looked comfortable, and after a long spell without the PL trophy (by United-standards) we manage to get it and keep it for the next three years, and he was a big part of that, to me. People's memories are fecking SHORT, and it pisses me off.

OneUnited24

So you want half our defenders to leave their men to try to close Robben down? That shot was near perfect into the bottom corner VDS could not be blamed (altho you wonder why that post wasnt marked).

No one is arguing that Carrick hasnt been good for us but even you have to admit that recently having him isnt offering us anything other than a extra body in there

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
But since the Barcelona game and into this season Carrick has been struggling to deal with the opponents targetting him for extra pressure when he is on the ball. He should be able to adapt his game to counter this but based on this season he hasn't worked out what to do yet, he needs to sort this out for next season or he will keep on struggling.
I think that an exageration, he was villified for his passing last week, he was more accurate then Fletcher and one succeful pass short of matching Scholes. His big problem is his reluctance to boot it out, any ball to a team mate is better then just kicking it out, think of the pass to VDS, he should learn to just lamp it away

Eriku

Utter bullshit. Instead of closing it down properly he fecking turned away from it. Leaving Robben the whole bloody goal to aim at with one trick Robben is great at. Shooting with a accuracy and power from range.
lol... Robben had nowhere else to aim but that specific corner... It was a freak of a goal, and one that I begrudginly would consider special. Laying that one at Carrick's door is absolute toss.

SCM

So you're saying at the age of 28 Carrick's been 'found out?' But from in his days at Spurs and his first 3 seasons at United he was an unknown entity? What kind of logic is that? Nonsense is what it is.
Since the Barcelona game he has been nowhere near his best and if anything the opponents are targetting him more since then due to seeing a potential weakness in his game. It isn't nonsense at all but he should be more than capable of adapting his game to counter this but this season he just hasn't done so. As i said in a post later on he needs to sort this out for next season as otherwise he will lose his place against certain types of teams that face us.

You can also only use the poor form excuse so much before you have to look at the player and wonder what the hell is wrong with him that he just hasn't got rid of it. It isn't fitness by the way he is still covering the ground over the park which means something isn't right possibly in his head right now, which is affecting his game.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
So you want half our defenders to leave their men to try to close Robben down? That shot was near perfect into the bottom corner VDS could not be blamed (altho you wonder why that post wasnt marked).

No one is arguing that Carrick hasnt been good for us but even you have to admit that recently having him isnt offering us anything other than a extra body in there
Robben was only ever going to shoot there, close the shot down, any Bayern players left in the area would be offside if the ball had managed to find a way through.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Who'd you prefer to get in instead? He's shown that most central midfielders in the world can't really upstage him when he's on song... He's not, right now, but feck me... this only seems like a huge catastrophe because we've had Keane, Scholes, Robson, Ince, etc... we've mostly had a solid central midfield... We had a couple of seasons with Fletcher coming through but not being quite up for it yet, Kleberson, Djembax2, and then we spend a fair bit of money on Carrick, who's not proven internationally. What does he do? He becomes a BIG part of making our midfield look up for the bigger occasions... We get to the CL semis with too many injuries to our backline and the ball falling kindly for Milan, out we go. A narrow loss to Chelsea at Wembley, where we've seldom looked comfortable, and after a long spell without the PL trophy (by United-standards) we manage to get it and keep it for the next three years, and he was a big part of that, to me. People's memories are fecking SHORT, and it pisses me off.
It's just not acceptable to have an abysmal season, I can take a few games but come on he hasn't had a good game since before the CL final. I don't have a short memory and I'm fairly loyal to players but Carrick's career at utd should be over, he's a big game bottler. You ask me who I'd rather have? Okay: Milner or Lass Diarra are both perfectly buyable and would do a much better job than Carrick.