Carrick's First Team

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think it will be same team with VDB instead of McTominay and Fred instead of Matic.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dont think it'll be anything different to Ole. Ole delegated plenty with footballing matters I'm sure. Delegated to Carrick, McKenna and Phelan. Those guys are still making those decisions. It's just a gang of mates who aren't good enough to be in those positions at a club like United.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think it’s going to be same as before, as he was key part of Ole coaching team.

Hopefully he would play VDB more though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We will see the same team as always

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I would play

De Gea
AWB Maguire Lindelof Telles
Sancho VDB McTominay Greenwood
Bruno
Ronaldo

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole had little hands on interaction with the team. The guy could even afford taking a long holiday in the middle of a crisis. So we presume that McCarricky had a huge say in Ole's administration which in turn translate to Ole's decision making being theirs as well. I can't see alot of changes happening against Villareal. United might decide to punish those they believe caused Ole's dismissal but that would be it.

the_cliff

Probably forced to play DVB cos of his performance and the fans reaction. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes 3 at the back.

I'm going:
De Gea
Lindelof Maguire Bailly
AWB Fred DVB Shaw
Bruno
Ronaldo Rashford/Sancho

I reckon he's more likely to go for Rashford than Sancho tbf to try and hit them on the counter.

Last edited:

spacetoonlover

since it's widely accepted that the manager wasn't good enough and the players are high class, then i don't think the coaching will change anything. they will be desperate to prove the sacking was wrong by putting on the same team. that way when we lose, it will be indicative that it wasn't the manager's fault.
So same team expect for VDB who will be instead of McTominay. Fred will be back again as i believe he didn't play because of the long travel he had. other than this it'll be a forced change because of injury/fitness issues like Martial for Rashford.

It will be interesting to see how much of an influence Carrick & Co really had on Ole. Do they use the same lineup or did they have different opinions.

OleBoiii

Managers generally tend to agree on the starting XI unless they play very different formations. If we play 4 at the back and 3 up front, then I reckon Carrick will play pretty much the exact same teams that Ole would play(provided no injuries). Maybe there will be 1 or 2 changes(Donny should have good chances now), but no more. The same would probably be true if Zidane or Ten Hag were in charge.

The issue was never the players starting(though in hindsight some rotation would probably have been preferable).

R'hllor

It will be interesting to see how much of an influence Carrick & Co really had on Ole. Do they use the same lineup or did they have different opinions.
Well they can also fake it.

Donut

He is kind of forced to play VDB, whether he likes it or not. The rest will be the same as with Ole.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The coaching will be the same unfortunately but that doesn't mean the team will be. Ole was still the manager after all, he picked who he wanted. Nothing to say Carrick won't have his own players he prefers.

Realisitcally there's only so much that can change though. But he might give the likes of VDB and Lingard more of a chance given we've heard there were complaints about squad players not being used more.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Villarreal will be rubbing their hands.

What's required to progress? Could we take a bit of a hammering here, beat Young Boys and still go out?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Wouldn’t be so sure lineup etc will be the same - nobody knows how much Carrick and co pushed for something or some people Ole didn’t fancy, also Carrick doesn’t necessarily have the same allegiances as he didn’t buy the players.

If Carrick has aspirations of one day being a top level first team coach, this is his chance to show he has some nous in the field, so just carrying on as is wouldn’t make sense from his perspective.

What will be equally interesting is if his in-game management is on point or if he gets tactically outdone at every juncture. Having said that, Emery as his first game is very much a write off in regard to this. In fact, Emery and then Tuchel, is terribly unfair on him so much so that he mightn’t express his true feelings on what he wants in favour of trying to avoid two humiliations in a row.

SouthernRedDev

Im not sure of his team selection, but if he stands on the touchline and waves his arms around a bit, during the game it'll be an improvement.

Oranges038

He should see it as an opportunity to put a few of these lads in their place.

Rashford, McT, AWB, Shaw and Maguire shouldn't even be on the plane.

justsomebloke

If you start from the positives these last few games:

- De Gea in great form
- Lindelof largely free of the horrenduous individual mistakes that have marred all the other defenders the last few games
- the vd Beek-Sancho combination in the second half against Watford

...and factor in the negatives:

- Shaw and Wan-Bissaka clearly out of form and lacking confidence
- Maguire a horror show, and Bailly still making far too many errors of judgment
- Marcus Rashford obviously not yet back in form
- McTominay among the worst performers lately, and clearly not suited to a situation where the team as a whole is struggling and where he has to operate in an environment that lacks structure. That's hard for anyone, but reading defensive situations doesn't seem to be his forte in the first place.
- Matic with a number of very ugly mistakes against Watford
- Bruno clearly out of form

...you get:

De Gea in goal
On the full backs, choose your poison: Continue with LS/AWB, or take your chances with the rather unproven option of Telles and Dalot. Either choice is hoping against better judgment.
On CB, play Lindelof. Hard to tell which is a worse choice right now between Maguire and Bailly.
Midfield; Fred and Donny. By default, and in Donny's case because he's earned it.
Forward line; Sancho for sure. Bruno, probably, unless you think he's too emotionally burned up right now. If so, give Lingard a shot. He deserves it. On the left - again, no very clear good choice. Stick with Rashford, yet another chance for Martial, or gamble on Amad.
Striker: I don't think you'd want to leave Ronaldo out in your first game as caretaker, and in any case he's been magic in the CL.

JB7

If you start from the positives these last few games:

- De Gea in great form
Literally at fault for 3 goals in one game at the weekend but ok.

Cannot believe this fecking mental rhetoric that he's having a good season is continuing.

hungrywing

I see the PR campaign is already up and running.
Is it?

Or when one considers how the dude admits to ghostwriting Carrick's autobiography, could it actually be him simply feeling he has some bits of info that not many had access to.

Plus how he prefaces/qualifies everything he says with 'Carrick now has to prove he wasn't part of the problems' doesn't exactly read like the strongest dose of "PR spin".

Nickosaur

Hopefully Maguire stays out. Suspended against Chelsea anyway so give Lindelof and Bailly some minutes together.

Cloud7

Probably

DDG
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles
Fred/Matic - VDB
Greenwood - Bruno - Sancho
Ronaldo

Based on nothing really

justsomebloke

Literally at fault for 3 goals in one game at the weekend but ok.

Cannot believe this fecking mental rhetoric that he's having a good season is continuing.
.....what? AFAICS, stopping any of those four goals would have been a wondersave.

Is it?

Or when one considers how the dude admits to ghostwriting Carrick's autobiography, could it actually be him simply feeling he has some bits of info that not many had access to.

Plus how he prefaces/qualifies everything he says with 'Carrick now has to prove he wasn't part of the problems' doesn't exactly read like the strongest dose of "PR spin".
Making him out to be some kind if meticulous, thoughtful genius in waiting. In reality he does feck all on the touchline and we've gotten worse since he joined.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Players getting their excuses in already.

Defeat tomorrow by 2-3 goals and a record defeat next Sunday.

But its the coaches fault Maguire is a clown.

IncyWincySpider

Changing starting eleven or tactics isn't going to do much, because I think about 90% of our problems stem from the training field. I doubt that's going to change.

But it will be interesting to see what happens.

Laurencio

Players getting their excuses in already.

Defeat tomorrow by 2-3 goals and a record defeat next Sunday.

But its the coaches fault Maguire is a clown.
I mean, they are not wrong. Ole famously delegated everything to do with training and tactics to those two.

Old Ma Crow

So just blame the coaches. Wtf are the players doing? The circus has returned!

hungrywing

Making him out to be some kind if meticulous, thoughtful genius in waiting. In reality he does feck all on the touchline and we've gotten worse since he joined.
Personally I didn't get that at all; the writer never crosses that line into, 'just you all wait, you'll see', despite setting himself up to do so multiple times - but of course it's possible to take it that way, as sort of a hedge.

Westerkerk

He should swap every single player that started on Saturday with someone who didn't

But he won't do anything dramatic except maybe provide the illusion that he has by starting VDB (who most likely will have a terrible game)

The rot doesn't stop at OGS unfortunately, it doesn't even start with him and that's the worrying part about our immediate future as a competitive club.