Carrick's First Team

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not a thing has changed outside of removing one man that selected the team. All the staff that oversee match preparation and training are still there. The only thing Carrick can do different is pick a different starting 11, outside of that the amonut of change he can implement in a few days is really close to 0.

There's always the chance of a form bump. If Maguire suddenly has a worldie and AWB pockets everyone again that would be nice, but let's wait and see.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Hopefully Maguire and Shaw are dropped for Bailly and Telles (or Fred). They really need to sort their shit out before they play another game.
McT shouldn't start for us when other midfielders are available. I'd rather see Donny/Fred/Pogz in the #6 position if Matic can't play.

Hopefully no Maguire or AWB.
You want to see Dalot at RB?

MUFC OK

Villarreal will be rubbing their hands.

What's required to progress? Could we take a bit of a hammering here, beat Young Boys and still go out?
Yes, if we lose by more than one and then beat YB, we will still go out if Atalanta beat Villarreal.

GoldanoGraham

Think he might look at 3-5-2 as similar to Spurs game - that’s the only time in the last 10 games that we have looked like we weren’t going to concede a goal on every opposition attack…..also looked better shape from the front……

Carrick has a free role of the dice here……be interesting to see how he goes as they are all getting sacked when a new guy comes in so surely he won’t just play the same old shite system that hasn’t been working

JB7

.....what? AFAICS, stopping any of those four goals would have been a wondersave.
1st goal, just come and deal with it before AWBs terrible header. Simple goalkeeping. Positioning then poor for the cutback and Kings shot is then almost straight at him.
2nd goal, positioning again poor and ball shouldn't be getting across him.
3rd goal, literally goes through him.

We could look at the game before this? City, first goal, first cross into the box is the goalkeepers ball all day long but he does nothing and the ball gets recycled out for a second cross & on own goal. Second goal - come and deal with the cross, then certainly don't get beat at your near post if you do decide to stand in your goal doing nothing.

We could look at the game before that? Atalanta. First goal, literally straight through him. Second goal, his ball all day long to come and deal with but he does nothing at all and then he makes himself as small as humanly possible for the striker to poke the ball past him.

So that's 7 goals in 3 games we probably don't concede with a proper goalkeeper, I could keep going?

redrobed

In terms of the names on the sheet they’ll likely be the same but they might not be downing tools anymore.

Foxbatt

he is forced to play DVB and apart from the midfield it looks like it is going to be the same. As for his coaching a nephew of mine was coached by him and he said he was one of the most uninspiring coaches he had. This was before he became a coach at United.

OmarUnited4ever

Hoping Carrick sets up the team in a way that makes them hard to play through, not sure how he can do it, but hoping for it nonetheless

justsomebloke

1st goal, just come and deal with it before AWBs terrible header. Simple goalkeeping. Positioning then poor for the cutback and Kings shot is then almost straight at him.
2nd goal, positioning again poor and ball shouldn't be getting across him.
3rd goal, literally goes through him.

We could look at the game before this? City, second goal - come and deal with the cross, then certainly don't get beat at your near post if you do decide to stand in your goal doing nothing.

We could look at the game before that? Atalanta. First goal, literally straight through him. Second goal, his ball all day long to come and deal with but he does nothing at all and then he makes himself as small as humanly possible for the striker to poke the ball past him.

So that's 6 goals in 3 games we don't concede with a proper goalkeeper, I could keep going?
I'm sure you could, but I don't think I agree with your assessment of any of those goals.

Dan_F

There is no change. It’s a temporary fix for a couple of games until they can get someone for the rest of the season. Unless Carrick has some kind of masterplan that Ole didn’t like, then it’ll be the same kind of line up and especially the same style of play.

No coach in the world could change things in 24 hours, so let’s just hope Ronaldo’s finishing is more up to his normal standard than Saturday and try to progress in Europe for whoever comes in at least.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Players getting their excuses in already.

Defeat tomorrow by 2-3 goals and a record defeat next Sunday.

But its the coaches fault Maguire is a clown.
I mean, they have a point.

Similarly with Woodward's "resignation", everything the club does is tokenistic and PR lead. Suggest change without actually committing to anything beyond the commercial well-being of the club and ultimately the Glazer's pockets.

Is there anyone who couldn't do a better job at running this club than the clowns we're burdened with? How could they not have sounded out an interim replacement when it was so obvious one was going to be needed?

Ole may as well have stayed as manager for all it's worth right now.

iHicksy

It's going to be the exact same tactics with a slightly different lineup. Who do you think makes the recommendations about players in training?

Carrick and Mckenna are responsible for our tactical play and shape in and out of possession. This can't really be disputed as it's been confirmed by Ole several times. The only hope is that the players can slog through this until we get a capable interim coach in who will hopefully be allowed to bring his own men with him on short term contracts. Personally I would have given the job to Phelan. I don't rate him as a coach as our football in the last couple of years when he was in charge of 1st team operations was largely poor under SAF but at least he has the experience at this level to make changes. We're seeing what happens when a top football club puts amateurs in charge of it's entire operation. There's no one with any experience to lead the team. I really hope they bring someone like Wenger/Blanc in ASAP to get the players confident in the club before going all out for a top manager at the season's end.

JB7

I'm sure you could, but I don't think I agree with your assessment of any of those goals.
Cool. Check Liverpool out some time and see how much difference a proper goalkeeper makes to the team.

Heck even just check us out last season when we defended in front of Henderson instead of De Gea. Unless you think it's a coincidence that our defending has been largely calamitous for the last 10 years regardless of how many players we sign and coaches we bring in?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

What's required to progress? Could we take a bit of a hammering here, beat Young Boys and still go out?
We lose by more than 2 and then Villarreal are through and if Atalanta beat them, we're out.

Basically, we need two draws to progress but a loss here and a win vs YB might not be enough.

Surely Carrick and McKenna have to go? We have all been in agreement that the coaching has been the issue - these two head up the coaching!
Agreed, they need to be let go. The whole situation is a shambles, if I’m honest. Not surprised though.

justsomebloke

9 times out of 10 the existing coaches take over temporarily when a manager is sacked, this is no different.
No, that's also a fair point. But in this case, there seems to be an unsettlingly open time horizon on this, with really no indication that they are close to signing an interim manager and not even any statement of intent that it's not going to be long.

kiristao

I would go
DDG
AWB - Lidelof - Maguire - Shaw
VDB - Matic - Fred
Sancho - Ronaldo - Martial

With Matic sitting back to help out the CB's while VDB and Fred do the pressing and runs into the box as and when required.
Come the 65 min or so, Bring on Bruno for Matic if we need to chase the game or bring on Mctominay for Sancho if we are defending a lead and play VDB behind a front 2 of Ronaldo & Martial (Or Rashford to offer some pace upfront)

kiristao

9 times out of 10 the existing coaches take over temporarily when a manager is sacked, this is no different.
Generally that happens when the season is all but over and it makes more sense to wait till the end of the season to bring in a new manager as you have more options. Here we are just 12 games in so giving it to the coaches only means we do not have a replacement lined up or need this week to sort out the paperwork as we are poaching him from another team. Lets hope its the latter.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He should see it as an opportunity to put a few of these lads in their place.

Rashford, McT, AWB, Shaw and Maguire shouldn't even be on the plane.
Agreed, though I'd be a bit more willing to give Rashford the benefit of the doubt at this point, he's at least scored few goals since coming back, but he's been very poor in the last 2 or 3 games. He'd definitely be on the bench though, if it was up to me. He needs to earn his spot back.

Trouble with keeping AWB out is a lack of replacement, as Dalot looks equally as poor whenever he plays.. We really should've coughed up for Trippier.

MuFc_1992

Unless Carrick was orchestrating a Little Finger style plan to get rid of Ole and take over by purposefully making us lose only to take over and turn into a master tactician, I'm assuming there will be zero changes to the way we play under him.

Skills

Snitch
Maybe Ole pretended to the Glazers and Woodward that he actually did the training himself. Now they think by removing him, they're changing something but it's actually the same guys all along in the background doing the actual shit work

redshaw

I don't have much confidence in Carrick and McKenna but what a lot may not know is Ole admitted in an interview long ago that when he was caretaker he wasn't involved in the formation and tactics, it was Carrick and Mckenna doing a 433. A few months later Ole started implementing his own formation and tactic, we then went on a very poor run from March to the end of the season and then were bottom half to midtable in the first half of the next. When Bruno came in it made Ole's formation work.

The only thing is we had Herrera at the time of the 433 but credit to the staff they used him well. He wasn't going to stay so we need to change, we also had injuries to Pogba and Matic.

I expect Carrick to go with the usual but don't be surprised if it's something different.

justsomebloke

Agreed, though I'd be a bit more willing to give Rashford the benefit of the doubt at this point, he's at least scored few goals since coming back, but he's been very poor in the last 2 or 3 games. He'd definitely be on the bench though, if it was up to me. He needs to earn his spot back.

Trouble with keeping AWB out is a lack of replacement, as Dalot looks equally as poor whenever he plays.. We really should've coughed up for Trippier.
Specifically, he had a truly horrible game against Villarreal last time around. They lined up 4 or 5 top chances from their left wing in the first half alone.

DickDastardly

Surely he's not daft to pick the same team Ole picked.

In that case our former players really are a thick bunch.

I'd give Henderson a shot on goal, he deserves some game time.

Hendo
AWB Lindelof Maguire (until Varane is healthy enough) Telles
Fred
VDB Bruno
Sancho Martial Rashford

Shaw needs a rest.
Ronaldo needs a rest.

Oranges038

Yeah, Dalot is shite. Trippier would be just more deadwood in a year. No point bringing in lads like him at that age.

I'd rather have Williams stay to play instead of him or Laird should be brought back from loan or he should have been kept as competition. AWB needs a right kick up the hole or something to get his arse in gear.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

We really need a draw to be sure

If we lose and Atalanta win then we are in a situation that could mean a draw between Villareal and Atalanta will be enough for them to both progress regardless of what we do agaisnt Youngboys.

4 points to guarantee progression

justsomebloke

Surely he's not daft to pick the same team Ole picked.

In that case our former players really are a thick bunch.

I'd give Henderson a shot on goal, he deserves some game time.

Hendo
AWB Lindelof Maguire (until Varane is healthy enough) Telles
Fred
VDB Bruno
Sancho Martial Rashford

Shaw needs a rest.
Ronaldo needs a rest.
The caretakers first game and the game where our CL fate likely gets decided is not going to be the game where Ronaldo gets a rest. Especially not considering he has almost single-handedly kept us in the tournament so far.

ShinjiNinja26

Can’t see us suddenly improving just cause Ole’s left as it’s the exact same coaching staff that’s been stinking the place out all season.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Surely Carrick and McKenna have to go? We have all been in agreement that the coaching has been the issue - these two head up the coaching!
They're both too inexperienced to have been given so much responsibility so soon.

McKenna should be kept imo. Under a new manager who brings his own top class coaches, will help McKenna. He'll have less responsibility and can learn from the more experienced coaches around him. The problem at the moment is that he's got nobody to learn from.

Carrick and Phelan should both go though. Not really sure what Phelan does other than be a cheerleader and i'm not sure on Carrick's credentials but again maybe he would benefit from a better set up around him or maybe he should take the route McKenna did and coach the U18's/U23's.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yeah, Dalot is shite. Trippier would be just more deadwood in a year. No point bringing in lads like him at that age.

I'd rather have Williams stay to play instead of him or Laird should be brought back from loan or he should have been kept as competition. AWB needs a right kick up the hole or something to get his arse in gear.
AWB needs a talent transplant

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Lose by multiple goals and we definitely finish below Villarreal. If Atalanta win their final two games too, we finish below them too.

Lose by one and H2H will be equal, so we could finish above Villarreal on the final day if we overturned the goal difference by beating Young Boys and them losing to Atalanta. We would finish above Atalanta, by beating Young Boys and Atalanta and Villarreal drawing. If Villarreal win on the final day, also beating Young Boys on the final day would be enough to qualify.

A point is massive for United, a loss is perilous.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
We really need a draw to be sure

If we lose and Atalanta win then we are in a situation that could mean a draw between Villareal and Atalanta will be enough for them to both progress regardless of what we do agaisnt Youngboys.

4 points to guarantee progression
If we lose and Atalanta win we will be 3rd on 7 points Atalanta on 8 points and Villarreal on 10. So if those two draw in final game and we beat Young Boys we are though. The only way we go out in this scenario is Atalanta beating Villarreal and our head to head being worse than the latter

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can’t see us suddenly improving just cause Ole’s left as it’s the exact same coaching staff that’s been stinking the place out all season.
The only way I can see an improvement is if Carrick is lobbied by the senior players to try a more aggressive formation and more progressive on the ball tactics.

NewUser777

I think we will see some changes. Not because he didn’t have large input before, but he now have to take responsibility. Something has to change.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
If we lose and Atalanta win we will be 3rd on 7 points Atalanta on 8 points and Villarreal on 10. So if those two draw in final game and we beat Young Boys we are though. The only way we go out in this scenario is Atalanta beating Villarreal and our head to head being worse than the latter
my mistake - atalanta winning both of their games puts us bang in trouble.
https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/champions-league/

Good predictor here - I should have used that in the first place :houllier: