Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We never had a line of thinking that saw us buy a DM though. Only with Matic ahead of Fabinho, but there isn't exactly others who want to join now is there?? And our need for one has never been greater IMO.

If this was going big on a striker or winger or CB or creative midfielder again, then sure... But for a DM? All for just fixing it even if it's only a few years. Gives Ten Hag a chance to implement a system with some midfield stability, and then work on what's next after. As it stands, he doesn't stand a chance
As I said to another poster, this isn't necessarily a comment on Casemiro, it was a general comment on us as a whole. I'm not that averse to this signing.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Good signing, but irrelevant in the wider context. Getting the owners out must be our main focus

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The fact is there is no evidence of any encouragement - just heresay. So you can't go out suggesting otherwise. The fact is most the catalan based outlets and also Romano have consistently said De Jong does not want to come here.
Like I said, I made that same point as you throughout the saga. But we still don't know the facts. And the "fact" is some outlets and journalists said he had given us assurances. So it is possible. And if it is possible that he did, probably to keep his options open at best, then I don't understand why anybody on here is still longing for him. Because we wasted the best part of 3 months. If he's even partly responsible for that then he's played a part in this shit show.

Chief123

It's also less expensive to enjoy the Etihad's atmosphere. You invest in 3 blue sky shares and put them in your living room.
You can also pop out to the stadium and get in easily like it’s a trip to the Trafford centre.

Sgreddevil

In the past I would not have agreed with the signing due to the age and estimated fees involved. However, I 100% support this now because that will mean we can finally break Mcfred midfield

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We are becoming Madrid lite? Varane, Ronaldo and now possibly Casemiro :drool:
Florentino Perez to potential signings:" Have you heard about our retirement program? Manchester United, you will love it. Now sign that under market contract, United will have your back in 10 years. "

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Like I said, I made that same point as you throughout the saga. But we still don't know the facts. And the "fact" is some outlets and journalists said he had given us assurances. So it is possible. And if it is possible that he did, probably to keep his options open at best, then I don't understand why anybody on here is still longing for him. Because we wasted the best part of 3 months. If he's even partly responsible for that then he's played a part in this shit show.
No they didn't. The credible journalists said that United wouldn't pursue a deal for so long if they weren't encouraged. They didn't have it on any authority that Frenkie wanted the move, but were guestimating theslves.

You're basically making a mother of assumptions to have a reason to mug off Frenkie, which is a bit silly. He never wanted to come here and that's been consistent. What outlets guesstimated is something else, that's not remotely close to the actual preference or even for us to insinuate one.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You can always and should always build long term. Cavani, Ronaldo.. short term stop gaps that would help us, did they?

Look at the well run clubs, Real, Liverpool, City.. they almost never sign players over 30, and definitely not for big money. Why? Because then you need to replace them in 2 years. Bayern signed Mane who's the same age.. but he cost £30m, not £60m, which is fairer value that takes into account age.

It was the other poster that said players like him improve in their mid 30s.

The point is we're nowhere near a complete team. We'll still need a RW, CM, Striker, RB. That's not going to happen this summer, and given how bad our recruitment is, probably won't happen next summer either. Then in 2-3 years time we'll need to replace the £60m DM we've just signed, but by then we'll still most likely need to fill other positions so we'll be reluctant to do it.

And that's of course if Casemiro can stay fit and playing close to 50 games a season doesn't catch up to him. I like the player but spending big money on him again strikes of no foresight or planning. We don't have a bottomless pit of money and need to be smart about our signings.
Cavani would have been a good stop gap if we followed it up properly. At first it was supposed to be Cavani for 2 years, let Ronaldo go to City and sign Haalands this summer. Stop gaps can be good, if you follow your plan after properly.

As of now, our DM position is the biggest problem in our squad. Sign him now, get Declan Rice later if he's still at West Ham (contract til 2025), west ham would only be reasonable in 2024 or when his contract is up in 2025. I think it's safe to say Casemiro has at least 2 seasons at his current level before we start wondering how long can he last, could be 2-4 years, but it makes sense as a plan. It allows us to shift focus on the other parts of the squad while having the midfield finally stabilized, and it lets our other talented players actually show their talent more, and show if they're up for it at all.

And I agree. 60m is huge money for his age. But we are in a desperate situation, and at least it isn't 80-100m. I fear for us this season if we don't get a top DM in, so he'll be a huge jolt to our team and a huge help for Ten Hag. We aren't Bayern, Liverpool, City or Madrid. We are nowhere near, we are negotiating from rock bottom. We can't attract good deals, because other top teams will just beat us to them essentially. Someone like Casemiro can calm the club down, be the leader in the team to get us going again and then we start addressing other issues from a position of strength, not desperation.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
That was my point. United don’t need to pay 75-80 for him because no one else is going to go anywhere near that amount.
It’s not about other bids, it’s about his usefulness to Madrid. This late in the window you’ll have to overpay.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You can always and should always build long term. Cavani, Ronaldo.. short term stop gaps that would help us, did they?

Look at the well run clubs, Real, Liverpool, City.. they almost never sign players over 30, and definitely not for big money. Why? Because then you need to replace them in 2 years. Bayern signed Mane who's the same age.. but he cost £30m, not £60m, which is fairer value that takes into account age.

It was the other poster that said players like him improve in their mid 30s.

The point is we're nowhere near a complete team. We'll still need a RW, CM, Striker, RB. That's not going to happen this summer, and given how bad our recruitment is, probably won't happen next summer either. Then in 2-3 years time we'll need to replace the £60m DM we've just signed, but by then we'll still most likely need to fill other positions so we'll be reluctant to do it.

And that's of course if Casemiro can stay fit and playing close to 50 games a season doesn't catch up to him. I like the player but spending big money on him again strikes of no foresight or planning. We don't have a bottomless pit of money and need to be smart about our signings.
Liverpool literally signed Thiago last year.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t get how Casemiro can be de jongs alternative when one’s a number 6 who is mainly a defensive type player and the other one is someone who progresses the ball. Our transfer policy is a joke.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don’t get how Casemiro can be de jongs alternative when one’s a number 6 who is mainly a defensive type player and the other one is someone who progresses the ball. Our transfer policy is a joke.
Probably a case of Ten Hag quickly realizing that a proper ball winner/defensive mid is in fact absolutely vital for us and that he can't coach any of our current crop to do it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Unlikely any of those will be good enough I'd say.
Of course, that's the reality for most youth players. But you increase the chances to miss on them if you don't give them the opportunity to play alongside stable players. In general we can't build long term plans or structures with the mindset that it's going to fail otherwise you may as well not have an academy and not sign players for millions.

Ghostrider318

We dont have a transfer policy. We just go after random players hoping the current manager can do something with them

Crashoutcassius

Of course, that's the reality for most youth players. But you increase the chances to miss on them if you don't give them the opportunity to play alongside stable players. In general we can't build long term plans or structures with the mindset that it's going to fail otherwise you may as well not have an academy and not sign players for millions.
I would just prefer a 25 year old who isn't going to decline right away, hasn't already won everything, isn't going to cost us 400k a week. There is just a long list of overpaid flops, very very few successes.

Status
Not open for further replies.