Castles: Man Utd return for Zlatan in January is on the cards and will open up funds for Mourinho

ti vu

But "ultra reliable" Richard Keys said he's about to sign for LA Galaxy
MLS was on the break on second half of major European league IIRC. So loan move still play for us is possible.

cfkane

Utd have Lukaku, Rashford and Martial. Why would they need to sign another striker? I'd actually bite your hand off for a backup striker like Martial..
Yorke - Lukaku
Cole - Zlatan
Sheringham - Rashford
Solskjaer - Martial

Having 4 makes sense to me.

edcunited1878

Two contradictory things following one another.
A diamond in the middle with Pogba and Herrera as the double pivot/base with Rashford ahead of them? Two wingers, one on either side...that's five across midfield. Two up front...that's 7. 3 at the back that's 10 w/ DDG or Romero in goal that's 11.

cfkane

completely uncalled for ffs

downright RUDE
Those are NOT "equals" signs! Not comparing those past players to the 4 of today. Just making the point that a treble winning United side had 4 strikers. You ask why would United want 4 strikers, I was showing that having 4 was usual for United in the past.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Those are NOT "equals" signs! Not comparing those past players to the 4 of today. Just making the point that a treble winning United side had 4 strikers. You ask why would United want 4 strikers, I was showing that having 4 was usual for United in the past.
Ok. I thought you were messing with my PTSD on purpose

frank lee madeer..

That was the past when we played 2 strikers. Who else has 4 central strikers & of what quality are they ?

tekkers3

The top clubs need three strikers, plus one who can play elsewhere too.
United currently has both Rashford and Martial who can play on the wings, so i think we need one more out and out striker to ensure that if Lukaku and Martial / or Rashford were to be unavailable, we are not relying on one guy for multiple games. It happened at the back end of the season with Zlatan out, and everyone could see that having to rotate between Rashford and Martial was a point of weakness. Having Zlatan to assist if Lukaku is out, or allow him to be rested, would be great. Allows for Greizmann next season too :P

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
This makes sense considering Lukaku asked Zlatan for his number. He wouldn't ask him unless he knew there was a chance he could stay at the club.

Ferguson

Personally think this would be a disaster.

Zlatan won't be happy sitting on the bench once fit whilst Lukaku cost £75m and he will have similar feelings.

Plus Rashford will be forced to play on the wing which he can't do and is a waste of his talent.
I think it's a sign that we are going to play with two up top. We have enough CB's for a 3-5-2. We are looking at players like Perisic and Fabinho who could play as wingbacks. We were in for Griezmann to play as a second striker before the ban. We have Lindelof who is perfect for a back three with his range of passing. And 3-5-2 is the trendy formation these days.

Adam_S

If Zlatan comes back as a kind of "lump it up to the big fella" type supersub then that removes the one remaining justification for Fellaini's continuing presence at the club. Make it happen, Woody!

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
It's spelt padantic.
No it's not.

pedantic
pɪˈdantɪk/
adjective
  1. excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous.
    "his analyses are careful and even painstaking, but never pedantic"
    synonyms: overscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, over-exacting, perfectionist, precisionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finical, finicky; More

tekkers3

No it's not.

pedantic
pɪˈdantɪk/
adjective
    synonyms: overscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, over-exacting, perfectionist, precisionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finical, finicky; More
don't be so finicky

OldTrevil

Your scenario ?

Imagine for a second how scared the chasing pack would be if we dropped the striker who had fired us to the top of the league for the guy who fired us to 6 th....do you actually believe that ?

They'd be over the fecking moon.
I meant as backup as @AndyJ1985 realised, someone to bring on when we would want a different look. It would give us a morale boost at the least and demoralize the opposition, I think Zlatan would do better coming off the bench on a strong team than leading the line from the start like last season at this stage of his career.

Eddy_JukeZ

This is only worthwhile for 6 months if Griezmann has to wait till summer, otherwise don't want
Griezmann in January isn't happening.

He'd be cup tied for us and Atletico won't sell him during a month in which it'd be very difficult to 'replace' him.

032Devil

Yorke - Lukaku
Cole - Zlatan
Sheringham - Rashford
Solskjaer - Martial

Having 4 makes sense to me.
I've always believed in 4 strikers. It's what worked best for United. BUT You can't compare the present 4 strikers with the one's under SAF. All 4 under him were deadly strikers while Lukaku is an unknown quantity until the season starts: Zlatan is deadly; Rashford is improving and was crucial in our run-in and Martial still needs to up his game.

pascell

Depends on Costa situation, he may already be signed!
I think we'd hear murmurs of it if we'd signed him, it's Griezmann after all. Athletico Madrid will more than likely be still in the CL come January as iirc that's just before the knock out rounds and we won't spend big money on someone cup tied.

macheda14

No it's not.

pedantic
pɪˈdantɪk/
adjective
Well you don't have to be such a pedant about it.

gotcha

Last edited:

addo

Please no, call me pedantic but I don't want a striker with a 12% conversion ratio back at the club.
Yes.. why would anyone want a 28 goals and 8 assists in 46 games.. in his first season in PL striker back in the team..

Robertd0803

Griezmann in January isn't happening.

He'd be cup tied for us and Atletico won't sell him during a month in which it'd be very difficult to 'replace' him.
Wont be difficult to replace because Atletico will have any new signings ready to go from January 1st.

And while being cup-tied would be a balls, Id still be all for him in January because you would still have him for half the league season while worse case scenario we may not be in the CL 2nd round or eliminated in the last 16. No sense in us ruling him out a transfer based on a possibility we may go further in the Champions League.

Now if Atletico want to keep him for the CL knockout stages themselves then fair enough.

Kapardin

Pogba won't let Zlatan go. Sweet. 20 goals from Lukaku and 10 goals + some assists from Zlatan at #10, and we are mint.

Zlatan won't leave. His ego won't let him go to MLS without a proper swansong in England.

clarkydaz

Pogba won't let Zlatan go. Sweet. 20 goals from Lukaku and 10 goals + some assists from Zlatan at #10, and we are mint.

Zlatan won't leave. His ego won't let him go to MLS without a proper swansong in England.
were in the champions league, he wont get that anywhere else again. He's going nowhere

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
were in the champions league, he wont get that anywhere else again. He's going nowhere
If we're still in it come january, if the transfers are going by this rate, it's gonna be a miracle.

joking
o