Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

Rocknrolla69er

The problem Cavanis having is Bruno and Rashford arnt playing the best currently, their passing and decision making on when to pass especially Rashford has been poor lately, they both produce moments of brilliance, but all round their games have been below par. Cavanis starved of good chances at the minute.

Our wide players tend to dribble shoot a lot rather than create.

Wing Attack Plan R

Cavani is like when you blow a tire and put the miniature replacement donut on to get you safely to a garage. He was never more than a stopgap measure.

He’s done at the top. He still has great instincts but his technique has been found wanting because he’s not 23 anymore.

Scoring every 4 appearances is not great. Hitting 9 or 10 league goals for a full season of appearances would put him about middle of the pack. That’s not good enough for a team hoping to get back on top. We need to replace him in the summer.

red4ever 79

Desperation signing, who going off the last two previous season was injury prone. Nothing has changed. Has had some good moments, but looks like his mind is somewhere else now.

dinostar77

The problem Cavanis having is Bruno and Rashford arnt playing the best currently, their passing and decision making on when to pass especially Rashford has been poor lately, they both produce moments of brilliance, but all round their games have been below par. Cavanis starved of good chances at the minute.

Our wide players tend to dribble shoot a lot rather than create.
This. Any CF would struggle with no proper service.

Maticmaker

Cavani's dad thinks he should move on and the old man's probably right!
Touch of desperation about his play last night, and his body language on leaving the pitch said it all.
Edison's time in the sun is all but done, a plane ticket to Montevideo awaits; good luck and thanks for some brief but special memories.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Desperation signing, who going off the last two previous season was injury prone. Nothing has changed. Has had some good moments, but looks like his mind is somewhere else now.
Yep. I think it was a last minute desperation once Sancho didn't work out to get some business done. Could be wrong but that's how it came across and has panned out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Been fairly decent, but no more so far.

Probably doesn't help him that we tend to play with two strikers in the wide positions, meaning no deliveries for him.
Plus the whole of our attack hasn't been in top form for a fair while either.

Idxomer

Leaning towards miss now.

Only Ibra qualifies as a hit from the set of strikers the club acquired the last 8 years (Falcao, Ibra, Lukaku, Ighalo, Cavani).

We still haven't replaced RVP with anyone that could work long-term.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How many strikers/goalscorers still cut it at top level when they reach 34? He's given us some moments but he's done with us now imo.
Tbf, Benzema (33), Lewandowski (32), and Ronaldo (36) are all still going at the very elite level. Can probably add Zlatan (39) to the level below. I think Cavani’s biggest problem isn’t so much the age, rather his injury proneness at his age. He started 7 league matches last season for PSG and he’s only started 10 here this season. It’s a similar boat to Aguero now.

Add to that what seems to be disinterest — I think the FA drama compounded with his fathers comments plus his own general want to go back to South America are running true in his mind.

Manncunian

He has scored a few goals so far but I am putting him in the Miss category.
The season still has a way to go and he may score some crucial goals that will make our season successful but I have not seen a good consistent level of performance so far. There is the other aspect of him being a great pro and the benefit of the other players watching him and learning from that but I must say I was expecting a lot more.
Yep. Get rid.

:rolleyes:

The guy is world class, and if you can’t see it, I pity you.

spiriticon

Just about makes it as a hit for me, but not by much.

My high bar for him was simply to be better than Falcao though, and that isn't exactly hard.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He's quite clearly still class.
A massive asset to the team, his movement is sublime, his hold up play is excellent.
We will miss him if he goes, and will definitely need to replace.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Still in the ‘miss’ column, but today’s performance means he’s trending towards a hit.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
34 and still delivering world class finishes.
Not only that, he was pressing like a demon at the death still...his fitness is incredible

dinostar77

34 and still delivering world class finishes.
Yep, which one of our other strikers would have scored with a diving header? None of them. Cavani is a proper CF. I hope they can agree to keep him at the club for another season. Very useful for Greenwood and Rashford to learn from.

Ace Krampus

He’s a good player. He’s scored some big goals. Some great link up play. What more do you want out of a free transfer?

RedIan

Hit - give him the service and its a goal. He feeds on service Like all top number 9,s...

last week he was poor , hardly a kick all game and thats The results of zero service

ReallyUSA

He’s a good player. He’s scored some big goals. Some great link up play. What more do you want out of a free transfer?
Fans just don't like getting 9's like him and Ibra after they've given clubs years of their prime. We want these guys at the peak of their career, and we haven't been able to do that since RvP,.

GBBQ

I’d say any money we saved on a transfer fee was offset by a signing bonus and the wages he’s on.

On his day he’s world class (today being a prime example) but his season has been stop start due to injuries and the ban. Was good to see him getting the full game today and he was still chasing late on. Will be interesting if he can keep this level for the run in and have us all be in agreement that he’s a hit.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Not only that, he was pressing like a demon at the death still...his fitness is incredible
yup!

our service to these guys from the wings over the years has been awful. Pogba drifts out to the wing. Gets some combinations going, plays a few in behind. Wow chances. Same with Greenwood’s early ball. The percentage ball is bread and butter to these guys. On another day that would get passed backwards. Take the chance. Feed the striker early.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Hit - give him the service and its a goal. He feeds on service Like all top number 9,s...

last week he was poor , hardly a kick all game and thats The results of zero service
And that's down to service for me. Going from an out of form Rashford and Dan James to Pogba and Greenwood is a big difference.

Varun1

Missed most of pre season, joined the club on the back on an injury, COVID, first season in the EPL, niggling injuries during this season, new team mates, new tactics - IMO, he has done enough.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
For those saying he’s a miss... what would a free transfer have had to do for you to consider them a hit??

He’s had a few poor games before today, but he was great today, as he was against Southampton, Everton in the cup and a fair few other games.

I think he’s definitely been worth signing, although, if we can get a world class striker in, I’d be more than happy to thank him and let him move on

GBBQ

”Offset” :lol:

How much do you think a new top number 9 would cost ffs and his wages? do you think he got a 60m signing fee :lol:

His signing bonus was reported as less than 4 mil.
I’m talking about what we would have paid to sign Cavani from PSG if his contract hadn’t run out. Why are you comparing his cost to that of a new number 9?

I’m talking about what we would have paid to sign Cavani from PSG if his contract hadn’t run out. Why are you comparing his cost to that of a new number 9?
Ok, go back to the original post that you responded to and instead answer ”what more do you expect from a forward that cost 4m euros”.

Do you have a point yet?

He was free, it’s been a cracking free signing and he’s on less than 200k /week.

The Hilton

Was clearly bang up for it today, and it showed with the best performance he's put in for us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's up to him but if he was open to staying it's a great squad option to have.

GBBQ

Ok, go back to the original post that you responded to and instead answer ”what more do you expect from a forward that cost 4m euros”.

Do you have a point yet?

He was free, it’s been a cracking free signing and he’s on less than 200k /week.
What are you on about? I made a point that we probably paid him what we would have signed him for. That was it.

I then went on to say he’s been world class on his day with us and if we see more of that we’d be unanimous in saying he’s been a hit. It’s clear he’s dividing opinions.

But thanks for your feedback and emojis.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
For those saying he’s a miss... what would a free transfer have had to do for you to consider them a hit??

He’s had a few poor games before today, but he was great today, as he was against Southampton, Everton in the cup and a fair few other games.

I think he’s definitely been worth signing, although, if we can get a world class striker in, I’d be more than happy to thank him and let him move on
Exactly. The ‘miss’ people have either moved the goalposts or were expecting way too much in the first place. He’s more than done the job he was brought in to do. Imagine we’d suffered Martial’s woeful form without Cavani on the books...

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Put it this way, if he goes at the end of the season we're back to Martial up front. Let's have a whip round for him?