Central midfield this season...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
One thing I will say is that we could have possibly signed a midfielder last season (maybe even the summer before). I'm not sure why we've been so slow in reacting to the quite obvious hole in midfield that we've had. Scholes' impact on the team was always going to slowly but surely wain. It would have put us out of sight by now.

My guess is Fergie knows who he wants and the player wasn't available last summer or was banking on Anderson to make his mark in midfield.

And Anderson being out injured has been a big blow IMO. Especially for these last two games. We could have really done with his bully like physical strength and drive in midfield.

Robbie Boy

Scholes is still the best MF we've got, we always have to rely on him...
Agreed, he was the one of our only players that performed yesterday, his passing was top-notch once again, although pretty much all of our football was played in front of Liverpool.

We should have started with a five-man midfield, but sure can't keep banging on about that. At the end of the day it is getting harder and harder to keep defending Michael Carrick who offered no support for our forwards and no support for our defence, once again the game completely passed him by. Scholesy was effectively our only centre midfielder.

Adebesi

One thing I will say is that we could have possibly signed a midfielder last season (maybe even the summer before). I'm not sure why we've been so slow in reacting to the quite obvious hole in midfield that we've had. Scholes' impact on the team was always going to slowly but surely wain. It would have put us out of sight by now.

My guess is Fergie knows who he wants and the player wasn't available last summer or was banking on Anderson to make his mark in midfield.

And Anderson being out injured has been a big blow IMO. Especially for these last two games. We could have really done with his bully like physical strength and drive in midfield.
It's the Anderson thing, that is my take. That, and not having the money it would take to buy something better than what we already have. Anderson was supposed to develop into the top notch midfielder many of us predicted he could become, the one he occasionally looks capable of being. This summer we probably can't afford to carry on with that gamble, the longer we wait, the less likely it is to happen.

Godfather

Agreed.

anver

Shart stop
One thing I have always been saying over here is that we have not gone in for a solid MF. I have been often called a whiner and a moaner by some of the very blokes who now complain of the lack of a MF, in this very thread. And I still say: we wont buy in the summer. We just dont have the money. It is in the bank, yes, but its not to be spent on players.

The signs were ominous in January. But we never even ventured to buy. SAF said before the Jan window opened, that we wouldn't buy; and we didnt. Of course we shall buy some cheap junk; but no quality players will come in.

I hope I am wrong, and some of the posters will have a field day slagging me off , come the summer. But my gut feeling is that we wont.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Giving Carrick and Fletcher new deals reduces the likelihood significantly.

Godfather

One thing I have always been saying over here is that we have not gone in for a solid MF. I have been often called a whiner and a moaner by some of the very blokes who now complain of the lack of a MF, in this very thread. And I still say: we wont buy in the summer. We just dont have the money. It is in the bank, yes, but its not to be spent on players.

The signs were ominous in January. But we never even ventured to buy. SAF said before the Jan window opened, that we wouldn't buy; and we didnt. Of course we shall buy some cheap junk; but no quality players will come in.

I hope I am wrong, and some of the posters will have a field day slagging me off , come the summer. But my gut feeling is that we wont.
Well Fergie said he tried to sign someone in Jan but couldnt get him in time and things will be solved in the summer. So hope is there :)

amolbhatia50k

It reduces the likelihood of signing two or more central midfielders but has absolutely no effect on the likelihood of signing at least one extra body in midfield, seeing as Hargreaves has more or less zero chance of a new contract.
Even two is a possibility to make up for Hargreaves+Scholes. Of course since two years back Gibson has emerged.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I don't think so. I reckon we could see abit of a clear-out in midfield, with players like Gibson and Hargreaves being sold. Scholes will not play as much next season which means we will only have 3 real players in midfield in Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson. As we know we can't rely on just 3 midfielders.

That and I also see Carrick being only a squad player from next season. I can see us bringing 2 midfielders in; one a hard man and one a creative playmaker.

amolbhatia50k

I don't think so. I reckon we could see abit of a clear-out in midfield, with players like Gibson and Hargreaves being sold. Scholes will not play as much next season which means we will only have 3 real players in midfield in Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson. As we know we can't rely on just 3 midfielders.

That and I also see Carrick being only a squad player from next season. I can see us bringing 2 midfielders in; one a hard man and one a creative playmaker.
I really hope so.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
New deals just make sense anyway - even if we were considering selling, which I'm sure we're not.

Fletcher to my mind should clearly stay at the club anyway. So should Anderson. Carrick probably deserves more time too though his poorish form is more of a problem as unlike Fletcher he's not great with being rotated and unlike Anderson he doesn't have time on his side.

I'm certain we'll be in the market for a new midfielder in the summer with Hargreaves dead and Scholes coming to the end.

Ole'sbodyguard

It reduces the likelihood of signing two or more central midfielders but has absolutely no effect on the likelihood of signing at least one extra body in midfield, seeing as Hargreaves has more or less zero chance of a new contract.

This is what I think will happen as well with Cleverley returning.

Whether Gibson is retained depends on Scholes's decision to retire or not.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is what I think will happen as well with Cleverley returning.

If Scholes retires we could also bring in another player.
Yeah, that's the way I see it. The return of Cleverley is probably bad news for Gibson but we're guaranteed to sign at least one new central midfielder in the summer.

If Scholes retires we'll need two. Which is why I don't think his retirement would be the disaster it first seems. Maybe it's no harm for Fergie to be forced to bite the bullet and get in two top class central midfielders this summer.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Incidentally, I think Ferguson did want to buy another midfielder last summer, but couldn't bring in an identified target for a reasonable fee, and probably had hopes of Hargreaves returning, and/or Anderson coming through.

Anderson was showing signs of doing that until he got injured. Real shame. If we can just get him fully fit he could be a regular I think and we just need someone to slot in next to him.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

bingo!

the question is - will this player be avaialbe in the summer

amolbhatia50k

Yeah, that's the way I see it. The return of Cleverley is probably bad news for Gibson but we're guaranteed to sign at least one new central midfielder in the summer.

If Scholes retires we'll need two. Which is why I don't think his retirement would be the disaster it first seems. Maybe it's no harm for Fergie to be forced to bite the bullet and get in two top class central midfielders this summer.
That's exactly how I see it. One is given, we will sign a midfielder. We simply have to. But I'd personally like to see two and if that means it requires Scholsey retiring then so be it. I love him to bits but it's a bit hard to see him against the more energetic teams these days. Maybe it's a tactical thing with the protection we need to give him but it kind of sucks to see a genius like him overrun against less talented but more energetic midfielders.

I feel sick after saying that. feck it, one more year of Scholes is worth it :D

Neutral

BTV
As someone else pointed out to be earlier today elsewhere...you want to see a United midfield full of verve, pace, strength, directness, drive and creativity, tune in to watch

the FA Youth Cup, also at Anfield next week.

Tunnicliffe, Pogba, Morrison....now that is a midfield to wank over.

*with Petrucci joining the fray in the not too distant future.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
That's exactly how I see it. One is given, we will sign a midfielder. We simply have to. But I'd personally like to see two and if that means it requires Scholsey retiring then so be it. I love him to bits but it's a bit hard to see him against the more energetic teams these days. Maybe it's a tactical thing with the protection we need to give him but it kind of sucks to see a genius like him overrun against less talented but more energetic midfielders.

I feel sick after saying that. feck it, one more year of Scholes is worth it :D
We're at risk of going down the same route with Scholes as we did with Keane - trying to accommodate a legend into the side as his limbs begin to age. The problem is that there is a disconnect between Scholes' view of wanting to play every game and reality, which dictates that he isn't capable of doing it any longer.

We need to bite the bullet and sort the midfield out once and for all. It's a vital area and it's the weakest part of our team.

amolbhatia50k

We're at risk of going down the same route with Scholes as we did with Keane - trying to accommodate a legend into the side as his limbs begin to age. The problem is that there is a disconnect between Scholes' view of wanting to play every game and reality, which dictates that he isn't capable of doing it any longer.

We need to bite the bullet and sort the midfield out once and for all. It's a vital area and it's the weakest part of our team.
Totally. And whenever the midfield does function it is still down usually to a 35 year old. It dangerous to be so reliant on someone who can turn it on not all that often anymore and frankly needs quite a bit of protection and compensation in terms of work rate and energy from those around him.

All in all we need a slight overhaul in midfield IMO. I'd personally like to see two new signings, and just for central midfield. I think we'll see one.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We'll face problems with keeping players happy. Its all well and good having a Scholes that we leave out periodically, a Gibson who probably doesn't complain all that much and a Hargreaves that's never available.

Replace any of those with a player that should, and will, play most games and everyone gets pushed one place down the pecking order. If we sign two players that problem expands further.

Don't get my wrong here though. Good for the club, and it needs to happen, but I find it odd logic that we extend the deals of these players if we intend to follow a course that will lead to less matches for some of them.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
One player, if it's the right player, can really change the entire complexion of the team. If we had, for instance, an Essien, it would make the world of difference - because he's be able to dovetail with any of our midfielders.

amolbhatia50k

One player, if it's the right player, can really change the entire complexion of the team. If we had, for instance, an Essien, it would make the world of difference - because he's be able to dovetail with any of our midfielders.
I'm not totally sure though. Of course Essien is a ridiculously talented player who can attack and defend very well, but in reality most midfielders out there wouldn't be so good in both aspects. I have a feeling we'll need two to complete our midfield. One who can take over Scholes' playmaking role and another who boss the midfield physically. Fletcher hustles and Carrick intercepts but Anderson is the only one who is physically a dominant midfielder at our club and I doubt his preferred role is tracking back and defending.

wr8_utd

:'(
bingo!

the question is - will this player be avaialbe in the summer
Nope. No value in the market.

In all seriousness though I'd be amazed if we did not get in a top quality central midfielder this time around. I think it's obvious to anyone with even the most limited footballing knowledge that we badly a midfield.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We really in dire need of a creative centre midfielder/playmaker like Wesley Sneijder. I cant see Scholesy carrying the team on his own anymore at his age now, especially for next season.

Ole'sbodyguard

We really in dire need of a creative centre midfielder/playmaker like Wesley Sneijder. I cant see Scholesy carrying the team on his own anymore at his age now, especially for next season.
I disagree with this. United play 4-4-2 for the vast majority of games domestically and we have so many quality strikers, it's difficult for them all to get games. Sneidjer's best position is behind the striker with complete freedom to hurt opposition sides. We already have Berbatov and Rooney who do this role fine.

Next season United could well have Anderson, Scholes, Giggs, Cleverley and Park. For me they are can all play the creative central midfielder role(obviously Park can only do this in 4-3-3) and all capable of playing that position well bearing in mind we already have two players, possibly three with the returning Welbeck who play the support striker role well. Ideally it would be Anderson taking on the role as main creative player with Scholes being his back up with the others slotting as back up if we play 4-3-3 and have a few injuries or players need a rest.

For me, what United really lack is someone who can distribute play well and also provide some defensive balance to the team or an allround central midfielder with an overall set of qualities between defense and attack. United only really have Carrick and Fletcher who offer any type of defensive balance to the side and Fletcher's game is more box to box, so the defensive can be left exposed if he partners anyone but Carrick. A perma crocked Hargreaves basically means Carrick always starts in big games BECAUSE he is the only player who offers acceptable balance with a more attack minded player.

If we were going to sign ONE central player this summer I'd be hoping we would be looking to sign someone who fits the above description which would improve us when we play either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We need two top quality midfielders.

We have possibly the weakest midfield still in the Champions League. Scholes is still class though!

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I disagree with this. United play 4-4-2 for the vast majority of games domestically and we have so many quality strikers, it's difficult for them all to get games. Sneidjer's best position is behind the striker with complete freedom to hurt opposition sides. We already have Berbatov and Rooney who do this role fine.

Next season United could well have Anderson, Scholes, Giggs, Cleverley and Park. For me they are can all play the creative central midfielder role(obviously Park can only do this in 4-3-3) and all capable of playing that position well bearing in mind we already have two players, possibly three with the returning Welbeck who play the support striker role well. Ideally it would be Anderson taking on the role as main creative player with Scholes being his back up with the others slotting as back up if we play 4-3-3 and have a few injuries or players need a rest.

For me, what United really lack is someone who can distribute play well and also provide some defensive balance to the team or an allround central midfielder with an overall set of qualities between defense and attack. United only really have Carrick and Fletcher who offer any type of defensive balance to the side and Fletcher's game is more box to box, so the defensive can be left exposed if he partners anyone but Carrick. A perma crocked Hargreaves basically means Carrick always starts in big games BECAUSE he is the only player who offers acceptable balance with a more attack minded player.

If we were going to sign ONE central player this summer I'd be hoping we would be looking to sign someone who fits the above description which would improve us when we play either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.
There's not many players in world football who is really good at that. I think our defensive side is ok. When fit, Rio and Vidic is already an excellent cover for the keeper. But yes, I do agree that we need someone who can distribute the ball better from centre midfield (like scholesy when on form).

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
TBF to all our players, we don't have the worst MF, they're just all off form... Ever since that loss to Barca, our players have lost something in them...

I'd say "Belief"...

Fletcher hasn't been putting enough pressure, he used to get very stuck in in that season, Same can be said for Carrick, he's passing was a tad quicker then he is this season.

Giggs and Scholes were awesome play makers that season too.

Its a real shame to see our whole MF losing form all at once.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
TBF to all our players, we don't have the worst MF, they're just all off form... Ever since that loss to Barca, our players have lost something in them...

I'd say "Belief"...

Fletcher hasn't been putting enough pressure, he used to get very stuck in in that season, Same can be said for Carrick, he's passing was a tad quicker then he is this season.

Giggs and Scholes were awesome play makers that season too.

Its a real shame to see our whole MF losing form all at once.
Yet for some reason they have all been recently rewarded with lucrative new deals! :confused:

For far too long we have had far too many players producing consistently poor performances. Last year Berba, Owen, Carrick, Anderson, Gibson and Nani. This year Rooney, Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Gibson, Owen, Obertan and Bebe. If anybody needs a reason why we are performing so poorly, so often, simply look at the amount of players who are regularly performing way below their best in the vast majority of games.

On top of that we have Fergie's almost inexplicable reluctance to sign new players for the first team. Since Ronaldo's sale only Valencia has been brought in to specifically strengthen the first team. This delaying in freshening the team has led to too many players sitting much too comfortably in the knowledge that their places in the team remain safe irrespective of the standard of performances they produce.

Such conditions inevitably place far too much responsibility on those select few who are performing well on a regular basis. This is not a healthy or productive scenario imo, and it comes as little surprise to me that it is proving increasingly detrimental to our hopes of continuing to seriously challenge for major honours.

Alex

Yet for some reason they have all been recently rewarded with lucrative new deals! :confused:

For far too long we have had far too many players producing consistently poor performances. Last year Berba, Owen, Carrick, Anderson, Gibson and Nani. This year Rooney, Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Gibson, Owen, Obertan and Bebe. If anybody needs a reason why we are performing so poorly, so often, simply look at the amount of players who are regularly performing way below their best in the vast majority of games.

On top of that we have Fergie's almost inexplicable reluctance to sign new players for the first team. Since Ronaldo's sale only Valencia has been brought in to specifically strengthen the first team. This delaying in freshening the team has led to too many players sitting much too comfortably in the knowledge that their places in the team remain safe irrespective of the standard of performances they produce.

Such conditions inevitably place far too much responsibility on those select few who are performing well on a regular basis. This is not a healthy or productive scenario imo, and it comes as little surprise to me that it is proving increasingly detrimental to our hopes of continuing to seriously challenge for major honours.
He was out injured for half the year

Ekeke

I think the contracts were to make sure we keep hold of experienced players. Over the next few years we're likely to be lacking it at times in the defence and goalkeeping departments (depending on which keeper we get) and the likes of Fletcher and Carrick need to provide some of the experience Giggs and Scholes have given the side over the past however many years.

That doesnt mean we dont need a couple of new faces in midfield to better replace what we miss without Scholes in the team, and to raise the level of competition so that only a Michael Carrick of Darren Fletcher in top form is starting matches for example. I mean for how many top clubs would out of form Carrick or out of form Fletcher be starting for week after week? When they are playing to their best theres nothing wrong there.

Cold_Boy

I would love to see Pogba get some action next season in the first team.

Looks a exact kind of central mid fielder we need.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Under no circumstances can the need for at least one new midfielder be denied, we simply have to sign someone this summer in that position

Take a look at our rivals and almost all of their central midfielders would get in our team, none of ours would get in theirs that's a big problem

Ole'sbodyguard

There's not many players in world football who is really good at that. I think our defensive side is ok. When fit, Rio and Vidic is already an excellent cover for the keeper. But yes, I do agree that we need someone who can distribute the ball better from centre midfield (like scholesy when on form).
I don't think we are adequately covered for midfielders who good defensive qualities as if Carrick is injured we don't really have one. Fletcher's not really a good partner for a more attacking player in a 4-4-2 and if we played 4-3-3 we have the same problem(e.g. no defensive player to balance out the options).

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I don't think we are adequately covered for midfielders who good defensive qualities as if Carrick is injured we don't really have one. Fletcher's not really a good partner for a more attacking player in a 4-4-2 and if we played 4-3-3 we have the same problem(e.g. no defensive player to balance out the options).
If I was given a choice, it would be a purchase for a very good defensive midfielder AND an attacking one. But the more important immediate issue is the attacking one in my opinion.