Central midfield this season...

Name Changed

weso26
Absolutely. That's why we're not that exciting a team to watch these days. Because you have pretty much no creativity from the heartbeat of the team. The one guy whose got it in him to be all of that still needs a year or two to completely refine his game (Anderson).
I'm not sure if our "boring" style of play is down tom the central midfield partnership though.

I always thought it was the pace of our wingers and strikers that made Man Utd play the football that we did. That seems to have gone.

johnmufc

You can't justify starting Anderson alongside Carrick in that formation because he's just not good enough when we don't have the ball. If you put him next to Fletcher with Carrick sitting behind them in a 4-3-3 then you obviously can't play both Rooney and Berbatov through the middle.

The balance of the side away from home in a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 formation at times, just hasn't worked this season. We're not able to control games or build possession from the back because the two in central midfield are often outnumbered. I also thinks it prevents our full backs from getting forward and attacking the wide areas which is normally where the most space can be found.

Personally I'd drop Berbatov and play Anderson in a 4-3-3 away from home but then there's still an issue with a lack of goal threat from midfield which is presumably why Fergie hasn't changed things.
Good post.

Sam

Just happened to come across our passing stats this season whilst looking for something else, and I was surprised to see how high a passing completion our central midfielders have this season...

Scholes 89.9 %
Carrick - 87.1 %
Gibson - 86.5 %
Fletcher - 85%
Anderson - 81.2 %

Average - 85.94 % Passing completion

I'm not really sure what these stats show, if anything at all, but something to think about. And just to put it into perspective, here's Arsenal's...

Denilson - 92.6 %
Diaby - 91.8 %
Song - 87.1%
Wilshere - 87 %
Fabregas - 80.8 %

Average - 87.86 % Passing completion

IrishLegend

Just happened to come across our passing stats this season whilst looking for something else, and I was surprised to see how high a passing completion our central midfielders have this season...

Scholes 89.9 %
Carrick - 87.1 %
Gibson - 86.5 %
Fletcher - 85%
Anderson - 81.2 %

Average - 85.94 % Passing completion

I'm not really sure what these stats show, if anything at all, but something to think about. And just to put it into perspective, here's Arsenal's...

Denilson - 92.6 %
Diaby - 91.8 %
Song - 87.1%
Wilshere - 87 %
Fabregas - 80.8 %

Average - 87.86 % Passing completion
Goes to show that pass completion percentages are meaningless.

What is far far more important is the killer pass, the one that sets someone through on goal or the pass that sets off a blistering counter attack.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Fabregas' passing has been a bit off this season is all that shows, he's been up in the high 80s every other season in his career.

And it's been just as evident from watching him as it is from looking at the stats, so I don't think it disproves the validity of stats at all.

Denilson with 93%, however...that does go to show that stats are pointless without context.

Alex

I hope there are three of them to start: Carrick, Fletcher, and Anderson, with Scholes on the bench to change the game for me.

Alex

How are the statistics misleading, they are fecking statistics; that said they are just stats, but in Darron Gibson's case that is damning.

Let me break it down MD style lite:

S: Most people think Gibson sucks
O: The stats prove Gibson sucks
A: Gibson is not good enough for Manchester United
P: Ship Gibson off to the highest bidder this summer

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm not sure if our "boring" style of play is down tom the central midfield partnership though.

I always thought it was the pace of our wingers and strikers that made Man Utd play the football that we did. That seems to have gone.
Our team sections also plays too separate from each oher. The center midfield and center defence fro example don't push up enough away from home. It causes our forwards to drop a bit too deep to help out with creating things. VS Wolves the midfield was behind the forwards by 50 plus meters.

R. Lim

How are the statistics misleading, they are fecking statistics; that said they are just stats, but in Darron Gibson's case that is damning.

Let me break it down MD style lite:

S: Most people think Gibson sucks
O: The stats prove Gibson sucks
A: Gibson is not good enough for Manchester United
P: Ship Gibson off to the highest bidder this summer
I'm not a fan of Gibson, either. The only reason why he had some play time earlier this season was so that Fergie could hopefully get a call during the transfer window. Obviously, it backfired, but it's a bit misleading to have those statistics when he's only played single digit games in comparison to the others who've played more games this season. The tendency to skew the statistics is much higher with the lower number of games, like how a defender's attempts/goal is much higher in percentage in comparison to a stiker's attempts/goal.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Scholes & Carrick in a 4-4-2 is suicide against the bigger teams as they don't have the energy that Fletcher brings. Play Scholes-Carrick-another in a 4-3-3 and it works (mostly)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be made to look so bad by this Liverpool team is a horrible sign. We've been slow, dull, uninventive and lacking in fight. Liverpool have been fast, aggressive and with lots of spark.

amolbhatia50k

We have Scholes, Giggs, Carrick and Berbatov as 4 of our midfield and front 6. Not enough pace and legs in that lot.

Godfather

It's getting frustrating watchin us play. And it was for way too many parts of this season. We need to invest, and I don't want to see some 19 year old unknown player that might or might not make it. We need instant successs in CM.

Mainoldo

It's getting frustrating watchin us play. And it was for way too many parts of this season. We need to invest, and I don't want to see some 19 year old unknown player that might or might not make it. We need instant successs in CM.
Thats the most important thing becuase we will invest but more than likely we will go for the cheap option.

Member 5225

totally agreed, hence why I was slightly surprised Carrick signed a new contract last week. I love him but thought it would be the organic end to his career with us (esp being 30 yrs old and that)

Member 5225

Thats the most important thing becuase we will invest but more than likely we will go for the cheap option.
Don't forget Ozil is around 21 years old, took the world cup by storm and was sold for around £8m! SAF's just being stubborn.

giggsyflying

Football is not life. It is more than life.
we got outplayed quite because our midfield lacks mobility. quite apparent that we had giggs and scholes who are in late 30s. carrick is also not quick as well. the loss of park and valencia (anderson to a certain extent) also hit us hard. but i cannot deny that our failure to bring in new midfielder at the season begining is a big mistake

Mainoldo

we got outplayed quite because our midfield lacks mobility. quite apparent that we had giggs and scholes who are in late 30s. carrick is also not quick as well. the loss of park and valencia (anderson to a certain extent) also hit us hard. but i cannot deny that our failure to bring in new midfielder at the season begining is a big mistake
:lol: funny how it was the same thing we said last year when we played at Anfield.

Devil may care

Our midfield has zero pace and no real steel in it, but today apathy was dripping from all corners of the team.

amolbhatia50k

Carrick is like some young inexperienced Italian that is struggling with the rigors and demands of through English game.

Werewolf

We are playing in a too much complicated way for the midfielders we have, the exception being Paul Scholes. Carrick can't handle quick moves and struggles when we are playing fast football.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
The only thing wrong is Carrick is he's too soft... He is an inferior version of Keane... To be on top of our game we definitely need a MF who can change games, Carrick just ain't that type of MF...

Defensively he reads the game great, but too soft when he's in the box, gets dominated again and again inside the box..

Attacking you can sense that he's a bit too slow at times...

Well, none of our players were much better last night.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It has disabled the whole team. Unless we're playing 4-5-1, it leaves the back open (so much for Carrick), leaves the forwards stranded, and offers nearly zero output in terms of goals or assists. A 4-5-1 offers the cover, but we are left as virile as an eunuch in front of goal.

It's a shame when a 35 year old man is the sole source of any creativity, output or fecking stability in the midfield. It's a shame when we have to stop playing 4-4-2 against teams not in the top 4, just because we can't afford to switch up a mediocre midfield. It's a shame when teams like Tottenham and Liverpool can continually bitch slap us in the center.

Something has to happen soon. I'm not calling for heads, there just needs to be some damn competition in the middle. Fletcher and Carrick, in their current form, should be on the bench, not first team starters. Get someone one who will breath down their necks (no homo) in the race for a starting slot.

And lastly, the next person who says, "but, but, Carrick is at his best when players around him do well", no shit. It's time players in the midfield start carrying their fecking weight. It worked when we had a demon on the right who frightened teams back into their own halves, all by himself. Those days are gone.

I can't believe we got shafted in midfield by Liverpool. Of all fecking teams.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
we needed one of our midfielders to be on their game today. Scholes we love a cherrish but he needs somebody next to him that will win tackles and give him the ball.

carrick is just becoming a liability.