Challenge on McTominay today

King.of.Red

if that was shitty player, Pep and his lovers will moan, moan, and moan and FA will act fast to punish that kongolo cnut. I was so glad and amazed that he can continue playing for 90 minutes like nothing happen. Tough Life!

EyeInTheSky

Ummmm didn’t United win yesterday or did I miss something? Or is it just one of those lies people like to put out there to make themselves feel better? Has Fracture even commented in this thread since I noticed in The Top Red thread that seems to get thrown at him a lot.
Just patting each other’s backs feeding the delusion that everyone is out to get Jose or is an oppo fan :lol:
I don't know who you are or who fracture is nor do I care to be honest.

Sounds like your cage has been rattled. I am sure you were full of praise after the game.

Andersons Dietician

I don't know who you are or who fracture is nor do I care to be honest.

Sounds like your cage has been rattled. I am sure you were full of praise after the game.
You just made a statement insinuating a load of rubbish. Just simply called you on it, especially this bit
You should know that the same people saying that was not even dangerous are also the loudest when one of our players does something stupid and are never to be seen when we win and play well but only come out when we draw or lose or try and come up with something negative to tell you that we are just "papering over the cracks". Some are just oppo fans masquerading as United fans others just hate Jose.
Who are these people you speak of?

EyeInTheSky

You just made a statement insinuating a load of rubbish. Just simply called you on it, especially this bit

Who are these people you speak of?
you didn't call anyone out on anything. I don't know you or what you have posted or what your thoughts are. I did not mention you but for some reason, you felt it was about you which means you just called yourself out.

Congratulations on embarrassing yourself...

Andersons Dietician

you didn't call anyone out on anything. I don't know you or what you have posted or what your thoughts are. I did not mention you but for some reason, you felt it was about you which means you just called yourself out.

Congratulations on embarrassing yourself...
But who were you meaning? I wasn’t caring about myself, it was the fact you made an infactual comment. Asked you about it and you’ve avoided answering it twice which brings us back to the original point unfortunately that it was a bit of a lie.
The only thing that would be embarrassing was if you could point to these people that were slagging United after a win but aren’t around after a win as they go in hiding even tho we won yesterday so you would think by your logic they’d be in hiding. I just wanted clarification on that nonsense? Are they here or aren’t they because we won I mean your entire post was a contradiction.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Right in front of us and I was amazed he didn't give it, and live, I thought the lad was very lucky to stay on. Having see it again today, serious questions have to be asked of the ref, because the kid could have got badly hurt.
I thought the ref was poor, but that was a ridiculous non decision.

EyeInTheSky

But who were you meaning? I wasn’t caring about myself, it was the fact you made an infactual comment. Asked you about it and you’ve avoided answering it twice which brings us back to the original point unfortunately that it was a bit of a lie.
The only thing that would be embarrassing was if you could point to these people that were slagging United after a win but aren’t around after a win as they go in hiding even tho we won yesterday so you would think by your logic they’d be in hiding. I just wanted clarification on that nonsense? Are they here or aren’t they because we won I mean your entire post was a contradiction.
If you had read and comprehended what I said then you would see that I mentioned those who do post despite us winning will try and spin their negative agenda. If your last hope at saving some face was to suggest that these types of posters have actually gone into witness protection and would never post again then I am sorry to tell you that you have just embarrassed yourself even further.

It is very amusing how you read what I said and could not but help think it was about you which clearly means your cage has been rattled and you have exposed yourself as one of them. What is even funnier is that you are acting like you are a spokesperson for them. If you don't think there are people on here who are actually opposition fans wumming then you should ask the mods about those they have banned or those that admitted it themselves after lurking on the forums masquerading as United fans for years. There are also many who literally hate Jose and have admitted it but at least they are open and honest about it.

I am not saying that this is just based on a difference of opinion on a challenge on mctominay but on many factors and many examples of no matter what those types will either find a negative to try and take a dig or they won't post anything at all after a win. You yourself mentioned a poster out of the blue which means you feel he is one of those people otherwise why mention him randomly?? Is he someone you feel needs defending because both your views are aligned?

what was the "I wasn't caring about myself" part all about? Don't you care that you called yourself out or?

so you said I avoided answering something "twice" and said something "infactual" which I don't even think is a word. When it was, in fact, you who ignored what I said (see first paragraph) and said something unfactual(see 3rd para)

once again you answered your own question by mentioning another poster who along with yourself matches the profile of the type of poster I was talking about. Good to know for future reference.

Klopp_De_Klown

Not for me I’m afraid
Who are you? A sky pundit? That's the crap they come up with when they know they are wrong and don't want to admit they intend to just be biased.

Its dangerous play inside the box, recklessly making contact, late, with the players head who has just played the ball with total disregard for the opposing player safety. It's about 4 different penalty infringements rolled into one and its also where your opinion counts for Sweet Fanny Adams, or mine for that matter. What does count though. Is that it's against the rules. Letter of the law, its a pen. It's that simple! Just the dope of a ref, claims or it's assumed, from his viewpoint he could not see the extent of the impact. Or so Jose was told.

But thanks for sharing!

Andersons Dietician

If you had read and comprehended what I said then you would see that I mentioned those who do post despite us winning will try and spin their negative agenda. If your last hope at saving some face was to suggest that these types of posters have actually gone into witness protection and would never post again then I am sorry to tell you that you have just embarrassed yourself even further.

It is very amusing how you read what I said and could not but help think it was about you which clearly means your cage has been rattled and you have exposed yourself as one of them. What is even funnier is that you are acting like you are a spokesperson for them. If you don't think there are people on here who are actually opposition fans wumming then you should ask the mods about those they have banned or those that admitted it themselves after lurking on the forums masquerading as United fans for years. There are also many who literally hate Jose and have admitted it but at least they are open and honest about it.

I am not saying that this is just based on a difference of opinion on a challenge on mctominay but on many factors and many examples of no matter what those types will either find a negative to try and take a dig or they won't post anything at all after a win. You yourself mentioned a poster out of the blue which means you feel he is one of those people otherwise why mention him randomly?? Is he someone you feel needs defending because both your views are aligned?

what was the "I wasn't caring about myself" part all about? Don't you care that you called yourself out or?

so you said I avoided answering something "twice" and said something "infactual" which I don't even think is a word. When it was, in fact, you who ignored what I said (see first paragraph) and said something unfactual(see 3rd para)

once again you answered your own question by mentioning another poster who along with yourself matches the profile of the type of poster I was talking about. Good to know for future reference.
Note 1. The mentioning of Fracture was due to you being in the Top Red thread where there is mention of Fracture disappearing and only showing up for games when we lose. It was an example of these supposed posters. Here is what you wrote again.

You should know that the same people saying that was not even dangerous are also the loudest when one of our players does something stupid and are never to be seen when we win and play well but only come out when we draw or lose or try and come up with something negative to tell you that we are just "papering over the cracks". Some are just oppo fans masquerading as United fans others just hate Jose.
So from your passage you are saying that these people are in the forum currently comentating on this subject. They are the same people who go missing after a win, they post about papering over cracks or something. So from that I gather you’ve witnessed them in this thread. So who are these people that will go in hiding after a win but still post after wins slagging off the team.

The rest of your post is just you twisting lines of rubbish which I don’t need to bother responding to. Although how did I call myself out? What are you insinuating?

Mr Smith

feck me, do you even understand the rules?!
As I explained earlier:

I know penalties aren't given only for fouls denying clear goalscoring opportunities, but I do believe referees are reluctant to give them unless they do given how drastically a penalty can change a game. I think in this particular instance the ref decided not to give the penalty because the ball was already gone (given that as many have pointed out, its not like he didn't see it). I just feel like the ref might have been prepared to punish the offender directly (by sending him off) if it didn't also result in a penalty being awarded.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One of those infuriating "given anywhere else on the pitch" decisions. Aka, a referee bottle job.

The guy might not have meant to do it, might not have meant to be late, but you can't just bundle into someone ferociously, not get near the ball and smash someone to the floor.

Or can you?

Giggs86

That assault looks worse every time you re-watch it. What baffles me the most is the Mctominay had his eyes on the ball and actually got it, whether the flying cnut had no idea where the ball was. He did it only to take Mctominay down. That ref deserves to be demoted to the Sunday pub league.

EyeInTheSky

One of those infuriating "given anywhere else on the pitch" decisions. Aka, a referee bottle job.

The guy might not have meant to do it, might not have meant to be late, but you can't just bundle into someone ferociously, not get near the ball and smash someone to the floor.

Or can you?
Exactly. Whether he meant it or not is irrelevant to the rules it’s at least a yellow.

You would still have to be a massiv wum or just not that clued up to think he wasn’t trying to take mctominay out to prevent him from getting to it.

Brightonian

Yep. I'm not one of those who thinks refereeing is at a lower standard than it used to be, but one thing that does seem to have got much worse to me is the discrepancy between what goes in the penalty area and what goes outside it, especially when it comes to fouls that don't really involve the feet: pushing, jockeying, blocking, body-slamming etc. The game seems to be becoming less of a contact sport outside the area but defenders are still getting away with being really rough inside it. Which is weird because when it comes to tripping, penalties get given for much less now - any contact seems to count, even if there's no way it was anywhere near enough to actually bring the man down or even slightly impede him.

Although even as I'm writing it seems strange to fit this incident into any kind of trend. It's a blindingly obvious reckless foul.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yep. I'm not one of those who thinks refereeing is at a lower standard than it used to be, but one thing that does seem to have got much worse to me is the discrepancy between what goes in the penalty area and what goes outside it, especially when it comes to fouls that don't really involve the feet: pushing, jockeying, blocking, body-slamming etc. The game seems to be becoming less of a contact sport outside the area but defenders are still getting away with being really rough inside it. Which is weird because when it comes to tripping, penalties get given for much less now - any contact seems to count, even if there's no way it was anywhere near enough to actually bring the man down or even slightly impede him.

Although even as I'm writing it seems strange to fit this incident into any kind of trend. It's a blindingly obvious reckless foul.
With regards to this, lack of consistency is my main issue. I am still infuriated by being robbed at Newcastle by Mike Dean giving a pen against us years ago for Smalling grabbing at a corner. I have no issue with the foul itself, but could accept it more if it was in keeping with some new directive to start giving pens for that stuff. It wasn’t, Dean have the pen against us, and then refs went back to ignoring it every game.

Wilt

The user name is perfect :lol: “Wilt”

So never watched a game of Rugby? Normal tackle that and you don’t see people claiming it’s career threatening? Anything you do on a football pitch could be career threatening. Going for a header, trying to clear a ball anything that’s not violent conduct. That’s two people gone to challenge for a ball and one has come out of it better than the other.
To be honest I don't really give a toss that you (and seemingly only you) wish to troll this thread by trying to defend the refs appalling decision not to award a penalty.

However, I do take serious exception to you making comment on my username. A username which has special significance to me personally, the background of which you know feck all about!

There are some very unusual and somewhat off the wall usernames on this forum, how would it be if everyone was to stoop so low like you, as to resort to shitty, snide comments about others usernames?

RedfromIreland

I can't imagine that even the most diehard Huddersfield fans would have expected anything else but a penalty to be given.
It was just so obvious that a penalty was the only decision that should have been given.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I've never been more amazed by the award/non-award of a penalty at OT since Rio Ferdinand vs. Newcastle.

Even from my view in the Stretfod End you could see it was absolutely blatant. I doubt there was a single person in the ground - Huddersfield fans included - who didn't think it was a pen

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Savage challenge. I don't think it was malicious, but there were numerous of these poor, clumsy and dangerous tackles happening to our players. Once you can say fair enough, but it's not just bad luck when it keeps happening. It's not even the lack or penalties that's the concern for me, it's that people could get hurt and the people doing it weren't even being told they're doing anything wrong.

Also respect to Mctominay for getting up and continuing once he was able to, looks so nasty the way he lands when you watch it back.

NoLogo

So, is this going to be looked into?

Nothing was given on the pitch, so shouldn't the FA be looking at it today/tomorrow?
FA probably asked the ref if he saw it and he said yes and that in his opinion it wasn't a foul and I think if that's the case you can't ban a player retroactively?

Still if that is what the ref saw we might have good cause to question his eyesight and he should be banned from refing PL games for a while.

adnando

No ones mentioned anything about being a “hard man” it’s simply sport, and collisions happen. Static jump against someone moving the person moving (momentum) is always likely to get the highest. It’s miss timed, but he’s gone for the ball in an aerial challenge and his momentum takes him through McTominay who only has vertical momentum. If you think that momentum is wreckless then we might as well limit the game to only allowing 2 steps or something and ban jumping along with going for a header. Just ban it out right and be done with stupid debates.

Violent conduct is Young elbowing that dude, Fellaini elbowing the dude for the hair pull or Zlatan elbowing the villain from Flash Gordon. Even Vertongan this week grabbing Herrera. Something with clear intent to do harm to another person.

Yesterday is simply one guy trying to get to the ball that didn’t and unfortunately the momentum he had built up trying to get there carried him through.
Not saying that it is violent, or that he intended to do harm to McTominay, but I don't think that should really matter as potential head injuries could potentially not only end your career, but lower your overall quality of life if you are really unlucky. I know that it might be a fine line between this kind of challenges, but i think that it is shocking that head injuries are not taken more serious. When you lounge into a tackle you might break someones leg, and it is an universal agreement that leg breakers is an instant red card, but when Cahill breaks the skull of Mason he gets off without even a yellow.

My point is that the intent goes straight out the window in this kind of challenges. Just curious, what's your take on the Cahill challenge? And do you think that Alli deserved a red when he kicked Sanchez, as the intent was clearly there, even though it was clearly not a "red card challenge"?

And sorry for the "hard man" bit, was a bit hyped and that was uncalled for and off the point.

Last edited: