Champions League — quarter-finals and semi-finals draw

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Thomas Müller: „The referee saw it clearly. The mistake was just too stupid for him to award a penalty. But it's not his decision to make. The referee is there to enforce the rules. Even if you may not be satisfied with the rule.“
Correct. If the player made a mistake then he and his team should have to pay for it. Add a goal to Bayern’s tally I say.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think that'd be an absolute nonsense decision to make, just use some common sense. You're hoping you get a cheeky decision but otherwise it's a nothing situation

tomaldinho1

Not giving the pen because "it's a Champions League quarter final" is a wild thing to admit by the ref. Does that mean he'd give it in a league match? In a group game?

Madness. Its a pen (or not) regardless of the game.
Has it been proven he said this? If so he should never ref CL again, it's a bonkers explanation.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Has it been proven he said this? If so he should never ref CL again, it's a bonkers explanation.
According to Tuchel that was the ref‘s explanation when Tuchel asked him about it. Hence me stating yesterday, that we won‘t be seeing the ref again in the CL for a while.

Wolfbot

It's definitely a penalty but you admire the ref for not giving it. Confusing.
It's not confusing at all. He's saying it was technically a penalty but admiring the ref for applying common sense to a misunderstanding over what the whistle was being blown for, just allowing play to go on as it would of otherwise. No play was affected, there were no Bayern players near, the ball had not been kicked out of the box even. It would have just been a shit penalty out of absolutely nothing which would have been far more controversial.

If that happened to United and a penalty was given we'd think it was ludicrous.

CoopersDream

It should have been a penalty according to the rules, but it's also a technicality so complaining too much about it seems a bit small club-y.

Marvin look out

Awesome to have this spirit of the game criteria to just decide to not apply rules when you feel like it. Can't wait to see more of its applicatio ns!
I can think of a few situations where it could be applied.

Let's say Bayern are in possession of the ball near the touchline, 25 meters away from Arsenal's box. Kane and Saliba are in the box. Tension arises between the two and Saliba punches Kane in the ribs and drops him. Bayern players were making little passes to each other and weren't even looking at Kane when it happened. Should it be a penalty just because the foul was in the box?

I'm sure it has happened before but I can't remember a game where it has.

For me after a VAR check, you penalize the defender with a straight red card but you don't give a penalty. The game then resumes where it left off. That's acting in favor of the spirit of the game.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It’s in the spirit of the game to follow the rules. Maybe we just start with that.
I was thinking this yesterday about dissent as well, should be about 20 yellow cards in the Real City game. Nearly every decision players throw a hissy fit at the referee and no one ever gets booked for it.

From the start of a season, they should just lay down the law on lots of things that aren't currently enforced. Specifically for dissent, the 6 second gk holding law and also for holding at set plays.

You probably end up with massive amounts of red cards and penalties for a while, along with more set piece goals, but ultimately if you hold the line you force teams to adapt and it would be a much better sport for it.

mctrials23

I think that'd be an absolute nonsense decision to make, just use some common sense. You're hoping you get a cheeky decision but otherwise it's a nothing situation
Exactly. I don't care if the rules state it should have been one. It would have been ridiculous to potentially decide the CL on a nothing decision like that. No one was disadvantaged or advantaged by it.

Semigoodlookin

Exactly. I don't care if the rules state it should have been one. It would have been ridiculous to potentially decide the CL on a nothing decision like that. No one was disadvantaged or advantaged by it.
Then don't have it in the rules. We cannot choose which rules should be applied or not. It would have been a petty decision but if one rule doesn't matter, none of them do.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
No one would be cool. They'll blame the defender for an idiotic action. Brain fades happen in a game and sometimes you get punished. The refs shouldn't just hand out do overs because they felt sorry for a player making a dumb error.
I dunno, we'd have some United fans in here using super slow-mo shots and still images to suggest the ball intentionally moved towards the defender's hands as he was bending down only to ties his laces.

FeelingDangerous

Supports
Arsenal
It would be an incredibly jobsworth decision to give the penalty.

Even removing my Arsenal bias, I would never expect nor want a decision like that to be given at any level of profession football.

Its a nothing event which had no impact on the game. No-one sought to gain an advantage. And no-one was inadvertently disadvantaged.

You have it half a dozen times a game when players throw the ball between each other for throw ins.

If this happened to your club and a penalty was given against you, you're lying if you're claiming you'd think it was anything other than ridiculous over-officiating.

Play on.

bosnian_red

Then don't have it in the rules. We cannot choose which rules should be applied or not. It would have been a petty decision but if one rule doesn't matter, none of them do.
It's a competitive sport, not a fecking court room where you're nitpicking over every detail. Gabriel picked up the ball to take the goal kick, that's all it was.

es-muellert

Supports
Bayern München
If the rules don’t cover this, the ref should stick to the rules that do. And those quite clearly say it’s a penalty.
Even as a Bayern Fan, I have to say it would feel weird to get this pen and I'm okay with the decision.

Reminds me of the situation with Argentina at the world cup. I don't remember against whom but a sub player stepped with a food on the ground, miles away from the game action, so technically they were twelve players on the field for a second and some people called for Argentina to be disqualified.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's in the spirit of the game not to blow for a penalty. Ridiculous from the Bayern board to complain about it :lol:
Would love to see the reaction of this board when the same happened in Liverpool match at Old Trafford and no penalty given with that BS explanation.
VVD picks up the ball with both hands after the keeper passed it to him.

Semigoodlookin

It's a competitive sport, not a fecking court room where you're nitpicking over every detail. Gabriel picked up the ball to take the goal kick, that's all it was.
Then don't have the rule. It's not hard to understand. If the rule is there then surely it is to be applied, otherwise what is the point in having it? And no need to descend into meaningless hyperbole either as no one is equating applying rules to a courtroom part from yourself. Although, refereeing decisions go to committees that go over this stuff in fine detail, often including statements from parties involved. I didn't even know what the Bayern players were moaning about during the match, so clearly any penalty there is stupid. I get it, but then the rule shouldn't exist.

Mike Smalling

That's pretty blatant, how the heck did VAR not catch that??
Does VAR take sound into account? Perhaps they didn't check if they thought that the referee hadn't blown yet. It's clearly audible on the live feed, of course, just wondering if the VAR refs have it available.

Arsenal got away with one there.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Then don't have the rule. It's not hard to understand. If the rule is there then surely it is to be applied, otherwise what is the point in having it? And no need to descend into meaningless hyperbole either as no one is equating applying rules to a courtroom part from yourself. Although, refereeing decisions go to committees that go over this stuff in fine detail, often including statements from parties involved. I didn't even know what the Bayern players were moaning about during the match, so clearly any penalty there is stupid. I get it, but then the rule shouldn't exist.
The rule is handball. It's not the ref thinking the goalie took a goal kick when in fact he was giving it to Gabriel to take a goal kick. Nobody cares who takes it. Does he have to pick it up with his hand to pass it to Gabriel? Is that a rule?

Use common sense, far too often is it lacking these days.

antk

cos he didn't hear the whistle? Kid's mistake. oh wait those were men back then.
You realize this was an highly controversial decision, generally considered wrong by most, that has also nothing to do with the current situation?

Velvet Revolver

You realize this was an highly controversial decision, generally considered wrong by most, that has also nothing to do with the current situation?
You realize you are going a different tangent right? Am saying kicking a ball on valid excuse was considered red but handling a ball cos it's a kid's mistake in a quarter final. not controversial?

Abizzz

Wasn't RVP once sent off in a crucial game for kicking a ball after a whistle was blown?
He was already swinging his leg when that whistle was blown. I was so mad that I can't even remember if he was already wearing our shirt :lol:, but have a feeling it was in a arse-barca game.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He was already swinging his leg when that whistle was blown. I was so mad that I can't even remember if he was already wearing our shirt :lol:, but have a feeling it was in a arse-barca game.
If he was wearing a United shirt at the time, the incident would get more mentions than Nani's red card and Holjund penalty combined.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
It‘s also not the entire picture. He was very eager to defend yesterday and help out Davies systematically and relentlessly. Same as Sané on the other side - both are complementing each other quite well. Sané progressing the ball forward and Gnabry with off the ball runs cutting in and good end product. Problem with both (and all the others): they seemingly can‘t donthat on a regular basis. No idea if it‘s just a motivational matter after winning x league titles with no real competition (until now) + Gnabry‘s quite often out injured nowadays.
Gnabry does that regularly scores. This season he has been injured and has scored 3 goals which is more than all our other wingers. Sane scored last in October/November

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Isn't there a rule that refs have specific authority to make decisions on something contrary to the rules if it's in the "spirit of the game" or something?
Basically why you can't sign a 2.2m guy and have him head back and fourth with the keeper to waste time ( as famously @fontaine suggested once on here) because the ref could step in even though there are technically no rules being broken.
Here it's kind of the opposite way so I see why a penalty wasn't given.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Sometimes the rules are not catching the spirit of the game. I don't think it's confusing to admire a ref for bending the rules to stick with how it should be. Giving a pen for a misunderstanding in a situation where there is no danger for a goal chance can be such a case.
So a defender intending to pass back to the keeper, keeper miss it and ball enter net. Should the goal be given for that common kid error?

antk

Isn't there a rule that refs have specific authority to make decisions on something contrary to the rules if it's in the "spirit of the game" or something?
Basically why you can't sign a 2.2m guy and have him head back and fourth with the keeper to waste time ( as famously @fontaine suggested once on here) because the ref could step in even though there are technically no rules being broken.
Here it's kind of the opposite way so I see why a penalty wasn't given.
Unsportsmanlike behavior is a cautionable offence in IFAB's rules. Your back-and-forth example would fall under this.

antk

People talking as if Gabriel had a sudden burst of madness and took the ball in his hands while it very clearly was in play are really being disingenuous.

The game is built on the prerequisite that the ref can appropriately communicate with the players through his movements, his whistle and his words. Players are not FIFA characters magically synced to the game state, where a whistle can't be misinterpreted because they're logically coded as deterministic.

This is a moment where the game state boundaries are generally a bit blurry in every game, and Gabriel misinterpreted what the ref intended them to be. Play with robots if you want those kind of inconsequential movements to be sanctioned.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
The ref had a good game overall and got pretty much all the big decision correct (except the Harry Kane elbow being a red card which should've been picked up by VAR). Giving a penalty for this would've been extremely stupid and its good to see some refs actually applying common sense. This would be worst than than Van Persie red card at the Camp Now where there was less than 1 second between offside whistle and him kicking the ball

Bayern making so much noise makes them seem desperate. We pretty much handed them 2 goals. Tuchel should focus on getting his team to actually play better football.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ref has authority to decide when the ball is in play, to be sure. So the ref "decided" the ball wasn't in play after his whistle, in this instance

It's not a mistake, if you want to get anal-retentive-technical

Lyricist

Bayern manager and fans being shameless, why don't your team go out and win the game against Arsenal as they've done many times before instead of begging for unsportsmanlike penalties on a technicality.
Not really Bayern's fault the situation took place in the first place, so it's not like Bayern were unsportsmanlike in the game.
Arsenal on the other hand had 2 people diving/cheating to create penalties out of thin air and trick the referee. That's what I call unsportsmanlike conduct. But it's the norm nowadays, so it's ok.