Champions League Draw | Juve - Utd - Valencia - Young Boys

Canagel

No idea, I bet 99% of the negative twats on here haven't even watched Valencia for few seasons now. It's just few posters continuing the streamline of negativity in every thread. If we were to crash out somehow, these same posters will be further sticking the boot in Mourinho.

If United can't get out of the group ahead of Valencia then what is the point of being excited for a CL place finish? It is a tricky group but we should be getting through.
They finished 15 points ahead of Sevilla last season. I've also watched them play Barcelona and Real Madrid and give them a real run for their money. Of course with the way we are playing people have reason not to be 100% confident.

stu_1992

Tough group, but the games against Juventus will be exciting. Haven't played a proper European giant since Moyes' year. Will be tough to get through, could be looking at second place at best. Worse if we continue our current form. :nervous: This draw has brought back some much needed excitement to this season.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Lucky for us we have an excellent record against Juve (dell Alpi , 2001(?), 4-0, best United away performance I've ever seen,oozing swag that day), different eras of course but I'm confident there. Hopefully Valencia flatter to deceive.

Minimalist

When did valencia get this good all of a sudden? It can't be considered anything but a massive disappointment to not qualify ahead of them.
More that they’re clearly better than Sevilla who we couldn’t beat last time out.

kerryman

Based on current form I think we will struggle to get out of this group. Happy to be proved wrong though.

ReddyMcRedface

On a plane for the home game against Juve :(

Any of the other games would've been fine to miss, having it on the Wednesday night would've been fine - severely jet-lagged but fine - but no, the fixtures just had to fall the worst possible way. Anyone want a single?

Ban

No idea, I bet 99% of the negative twats on here haven't even watched Valencia for few seasons now. It's just few posters continuing the streamline of negativity in every thread. If we were to crash out somehow, these same posters will be further sticking the boot in Mourinho.

If United can't get out of the group ahead of Valencia then what is the point of being excited for a CL place finish? It is a tricky group but we should be getting through.
This.

klsv

The absolute joke that this thread has turned into :lol:

Juve will walk over us, Valencia is better than Sevilla was last year when they played us, and since that's how football works, we'll lose to them by at least two goals. Finally, Young Boys will smash us at Wankfield but thanks to Martial's hat-trick against them in the first match we go to Europa League just to be beaten by Dudelange. Mourinho sacked, Poch and Zidane as caretakers until Martial is old enough to take over the club. Think I'll log out until we win three matches in a row, might make this place a bit less anxiety inducing, fecking unbearable right now.

MUFC OK

There is absolutely no way we will beat Valancia away from home. Our record on the road to Spanish teams is nothing short of atrocious, even dating back to when we had a world class team.

Prediction
Juve (h) 1pt
Juve (a) 0pts
Valencia (h) 3pts
Valencia (a) 0pts
Young Boys (h) 3pts
Young Boys (a) 3pts

With Young 'Whipping' Boys in the group, one of us and Valencia will go out with 9+pts so the head to heads are crucial. I think the EL beckons for us to be honest. Hate facing Spanish sides and Juve have Ronaldo...

EDIT: Away to Valencia last game of the group, I predict we go into that needing to win to progress, see Basel (2012), Wolfsburg (2016)..

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Valencia are struggling this season so far, Juve are definitely beatable, actually am pleased with this group, we can definitely finish top.

Zlatattack

I'm glad we got a tough group, at least we'll see some decent games. I don't want to watch my team play Basel, Anderlecht and L-Moscow.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Valencia are good, really good, but if you fail to get out of that group it would be a massive failure. You're far more talented than Valencia

GeorgieBoy

Fixture order has panned out alright for us here. We play the two toughest teams at home in the first half of games. Should hopefully get us off to a decent enough start.

RedNed77

The absolute joke that this thread has turned into :lol:

Juve will walk over us, Valencia is better than Sevilla was last year when they played us, and since that's how football works, we'll lose to them by at least two goals. Finally, Young Boys will smash us at Wankfield but thanks to Martial's hat-trick against them in the first match we go to Europa League just to be beaten by Dudelange. Mourinho sacked, Poch and Zidane as caretakers until Martial is old enough to take over the club. Think I'll log out until we win three matches in a row, might make this place a bit less anxiety inducing, fecking unbearable right now.
:lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I thought the "Young Boys" was a wind up, I thought it was Arsenal. Yes I forgot if Arsene is no longer the manager.

That is one team I'm most looking forward to. Juve and Valencia are so boring.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've got a Liverpool acquaintance on Facebook who was giving it how he wants Madrid or Barca and all these tough teams. Sickening how cocky they get.

Grande

Valencia are good, really good, but if you fail to get out of that group it would be a massive failure. You're far more talented than Valencia
Not many seem to believe this atm. I’m not sure about this draw. It’s one of four ‘groups of death’ imo, really skewed draw. Tbh I think the only ones that have pedigree now to consider it a big failure (never mind ‘massive’) to go out to Valencia atm are Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca and Juve. And maybe PsG, based on how hard and how many times they’ve tried now. We beat Celta by one goal two years ago, lost by two to Sevilla last year. Beating Valencia will take a good showing.

Juve 85% chance to go through
Man Utd 55%
Valencia 55%
Young Boys 5%

How’s that for math?

Devil may care

With how erratic we are it's tough to call, on papaer Juve should win the group while us and Valencia fight it out for the 2nd spot.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Spurs, Liverpool and United have been knocked out of the group stages too recently to assume getting out of the group is a mere formality. Would not surprise me if at least one does not make it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Burnley (A)
Watford (A)
Young Boys (A)
Wolves (H)
Derby (H)
West Ham (A)
Valencia (H)
Newcastle (H)
Chelsea (A)
Juventus (H)
Everton (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Juventus (A)
City (A)
Palace (H)
Young Boys (H)
Southampton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Fulham (H)
Valencia (A)
Liverpool (A)
Cardiff (A)

Chelsea away followed by Juventus home
Juventus away followed by City away
Valencia away followed by Liverpool away

Ouch. Think we need to win our first two games because we've got a tricky run of fixtures.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Burnley (A)
Watford (A)
Young Boys (A)
Wolves (H)
Derby (H)
West Ham (A)
Valencia (H)
Newcastle (H)
Chelsea (A)
Juventus (H)
Everton (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Juventus (A)
City (A)
Palace (H)
Young Boys (H)
Southampton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Fulham (H)
Valencia (A)
Liverpool (A)
Cardiff (A)

Chelsea away followed by Juventus home
Juventus away followed by City away
Valencia away followed by Liverpool away

Ouch. Think we need to win our first two games because we've got a tricky run of fixtures.
I think you'll be ok with some of those but Watford away will be tricky. I think you need to win on Sunday (which I think you will) otherwise you risk falling behind the leaders.

MoskvaRed

Given the leakiness of our defence, I don’t think any fixture is a given, certainly not against the 4th best team in Spain.

MoskvaRed

I thought the "Young Boys" was a wind up, I thought it was Arsenal. Yes I forgot if Arsene is no longer the manager.

That is one team I'm most looking forward to. Juve and Valencia are so boring.
You must have heard the jokes before? They play at the Wankdorf stadium. Cue puns about not keeping clean sheets etc.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They said the same thing about Sevilla.

We are also far more talented than Brighton.
And how was going out to sevilla not a massive failure exactly? Is anyone defending your loss at brighton? Valencia start arsenal legend gabriel paulista at CB ffs

Kapardin

And how was going out to sevilla not a massive failure exactly? Is anyone defending your loss at brighton? Valencia start arsenal legend gabriel paulista at CB ffs
It was a massive failure. That was my point. Nobody can say it's a given we are going to beat Valencia.

Craig Ward

Not getting your point.

We should beat Valencia cos they have a poor CB?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was a massive failure. That was my point. Nobody can say it's a given we are going to beat Valencia.
Not getting your point.

We should beat Valencia cos they have a poor CB?
My point is that going out in that group would be a massive failure, amd that you should not expect to go out. Doesn't mean you won't, but it would be inexcusable

humdinger

Proper group that. Quality opposition but we have a fighting chance. I am actually glad it’s a bit tough as we tend to be better against good teams and complacent against the smaller ones.

Kag

Bloody brilliant group. Must be the best looking one we've been involved in for well over a decade? My abiding memory of recent CL campaigns have been shitfests against middling sides from Germany and Portugal.

Juventus and Valencia are exciting draws and no matter how shit things are I'm buzzing for these games.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We finally meet an old lady and Rooney is in Washington.:(

alsabi

Just seen our confirmed fixtures - so they've changed kick-off times in the CL from 7:45 to 8pm (UK time), then?

Lordyfw

Supports
AFC Ajax
Just seen our confirmed fixtures - so they've changed kick-off times in the CL from 7:45 to 8pm (UK time), then?
There are 2 kick-off times from this season onwards. One at 17:55 and the other at 20:00 (UK times, 18:55 and 21:00 Amsterdam/Paris timezone).
That 15 minutes difference is to ensure there is some time between the matches for delays and commercials.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Over the moon with the draw personally. Juventus are one of my favourite sides for us to play, great memories of games against them as a kid.

Valencia should be interesting enough and make it so there is something riding on every game. Expect us to draw both games with them though and it to come down to goal difference.