Champions League Final 2019 | Spurs v Liverpool (1st June)

Paul_Scholes18

If your house was at stake and you had to name one, just one, team that was likely to make the CL final 2020 who would it be? No ifs and buts. Just name one team today. Honestly, remembering what's at stake.
Sadly Liverpool again. Klopp has proven to be a very good manager over two legs and Liverpool seem to be mentally stronger in champions league possibly due to having a great history. The squad is also young with plenty of players that can get better. Milner in midfield might need to be replaced, but they got a lot of options in that area already with Keita potentially improving and maybe even Ox getting back. Injuries to Salah and Mane is the big weakness Liverpool have, but if only one of them is out then I think they can manage it and they knocked out Barca without Salah and Firmino this year.

Man City mentally struggle a lot more in europe. Also Aguero might be on the decline and it could hurt them in europe even if he is good enough in the league. With other old players like David Silva/Fernandinho they might need some fresh legs into the midfield. Also no Kompany is a loss in terms of his leadership too. Pep is a brilliant manager though, but his ideas does better in the league when you should try to win every game the same. Playing on results has never been what Pep does best.

I would not trust Barcelona mentally away from home anymore after the last two years. Would not rule them out and if they got a better manager they will be fighting for it. Messis fitness will not improve even if he will still dominate the weaker teams and that might hurt them in europe.

Think Real with Hazard and some other new players might win it. Zidane is the king of europe so they might be my second bet. Still they have a lot of hard work to do. Struggle to see them beating Barca in the league so Europe might end up being the focus.

Juventus got a good chance too, but Ronaldo might not be as good as he was. I don't see them improving a lot next season.

Wayne's World

Unfortunately Liverpool have this tomorrow night.....just can't see how Spurs can win it and I have thought of every scenario in my head...:(

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I would go for Real. They just have a fricking knack. And now Zidane is back.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No I didn't know. If he's already joined why mention him. By bringing him into the conversation you made him an if.

So you vote for a bottling CL team (I guess you have experience in that field :)) and VorZakone so far votes for a team that has never reached a final in their history despite the 1bn spent. I'm enjoying this, erm, WUM. :cool::nervous:

Because I was clearly saying that De Ligt on top of that would boost them to being favourites. I assumed that somebody on a football forum would be aware of one of the biggest transfers thus far this summer, my bad.

Barca have had a difficult few years in the competition but yeah, I think adding two of the biggest talents in world football in key positions would be a real boost for them. I rate them both very highly and think they would fix many of Barca's current deficiencies.

As for us having experience in bottling .. you're a Liverpool supporter.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Unfortunately Liverpool have this tomorrow night.....just can't see how Spurs can win it and I have thought of every scenario in my head...:(
Jurgen Klopp's record of getting teams to finals is excellent, but his success rate in them is less than impressive.

German Cup final - Borussia Dortmund 5-2 Bayern Munich

Champions League final - Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Bayern Munich

German Cup final - Borussia Dortmund 0-2 Bayern Munich

German Cup final - Borussia Dortmund 1-3 Wolfsburg

League Cup final - Liverpool 1-1 Man City (Man City win 3-1 on pens)

Europa League final - Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla

Champions League final - Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool

That frankly appaling record has to count for something.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Jurgen Klopp's record of getting teams to finals is excellent, but his success rate in them is less than impressive.

Some fairly decent opposition for the most part. Wolfsburg looks like the most disappointing result.

Either way something has to give. Either Pochettino finally wins something, or Klopp breaks his final hoodoo.

UncleBob

Glad I won't have internet access for the next few days.

Reckon Liverpool will roll over Tottenham.

Shark

@NotShark
What about Kane scoring a hatrick in the first 20 minutes. Think of that one? Did you? :p

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Given both clubs recent history when the trophy's are on the line i genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we have a record penalty shootout due to the players constantly missing, with the winner finally coming due to Lloris or Alisson fumbling the easiest save they could ever make.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Pochettino press conference (a selection of quotes):

"We are so ready, tomorrow it is about being ready to run, to compete, to enjoy."

"Tomorrow is to show togetherness. Tomorrow will show football is a collective sport, the energy even from the players who do not play in the dressing room will be decisive."

"We must play with freedom - when you play as a child with freedom, not think one billion people are watching you."

"The most important is to set a standard and use as an example for the future when you arrive at an important game like a final."

"There were fine lines against Man City, against Ajax, we're not the best in the world because we won those games nor would we be the worst in the world if we'd lost. It comes down to fine lines and our team became very robust from the start of this season. We have shown if you believe, if you work hard, you can succeed."

"We are so ready ..." is my favourite :)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Please Spurs, please, you must win. We cannot bear the poetry and the scouse twats holding up six fingers especially those who can do that on one hand

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
I was rooting for Ajax during the semi-final just for the fact that I'd have been more confident of winning against Ajax but with Spurs, it is too difficult to predict. I really hope the 1st time finalist gets jitters so we can get an easy win. :)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

"We are so ready, tomorrow it is about being ready to run, to compete, to enjoy."

"Tomorrow is to show togetherness. Tomorrow will show football is a collective sport, the energy even from the players who do not play in the dressing room will be decisive."

"We must play with freedom - when you play as a child with freedom, not think one billion people are watching you."

"The most important is to set a standard and use as an example for the future when you arrive at an important game like a final."

"There were fine lines against Man City, against Ajax, we're not the best in the world because we won those games nor would we be the worst in the world if we'd lost. It comes down to fine lines and our team became very robust from the start of this season. We have shown if you believe, if you work hard, you can succeed."

I hope you're on a one way ticket to India on Sunday morning.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I swear, if the Spurs players skip out of the tunnel holding hands and singing Kum Ba Ya, I will be displeased.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Some fairly decent opposition for the most part. Wolfsburg looks like the most disappointing result.

Either way something has to give. Either Pochettino finally wins something, or Klopp breaks his final hoodoo.
It's going to be quite the spectacle if the previous games in the tournament are anything to go by.

I'm also expecting Liverpool to lose 8-0 but I'd happily settle for a measly 7. I'm not a greedy man.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
We're in the champions league final.  :drool::cool:

Still hasn't sunk in. Each time feels like the first time. Klopp is a master of shooting and missing in these finals but as long as he keeps shooting one those shots will trickle in.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

That year Wolfsburg was really good. With De Bruyne carrying them heavily. And that was before the huge VW scandal, they were spending some serious money into players.

They even beat Guardiolas Bayern earlier that season by 3 or 4 goals if i remember correctly, while Dortmund had a disappointing season.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I swear, if the Spurs players skip out of the tunnel holding hands and singing Kum Ba Ya, I will be displeased.
You won't be displeased, but thanks to pressure from Pochettino the traditional pre-match team photograph before the Champions League final will feature the entire squads of the two sides for the first time and not just the starting lineups.

SharpshooterTom

Stating the obvious here but its important Spurs don't get overawed by the occasion thinking "OMG I'm playing in a Champions League this is amazing!" because this is unusual territory for Spurs as a club and they could lose their intensity if they show too much respect to Liverpool and to the occasion, I know its hard to resist but it wont help them if they spend their time being completely star struck in a CL final.

If they treat it just as any other match wanting to get at Liverpool and make the match as hard and miserable as possible for them. If Liverpool play to their very best then it may be too much for Spurs ultimately of course but I do think you guys have got a really good chance here. (and obviously as a United fan I'm rooting for you)

They're going to have to play like they did against Ajax in the 2nd half or against Man City in the first half of the Etihad, non of this timid stuff. If Liverpool are nervous or are feeling the pressure to win a trophy this year Spurs can exploit that.

Reactions: nimic

Inter Yer Nan

:lol: Salah has dived more this season alone than Kane has his entire career.

Kane dives, not a fan of it but it does happen. With Salah it's every few weeks though.

And I don't expect rival fans to find Kane likeable. The point is it's really not hard to hate Salah because he's a bit of a cheat, and was a massive whiny baby to boot after the Ramos incident.
Yeah, Kane takes a tumble quite often but Salah is always throwing himself to the floor and is a whiny little prick. No comparison to their level of cheating. Salah is in Neymar's neighborhood and Mane ain't far off either.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
By the way, in case anyone didn't know you can watch the match for free on BT Sport 2 HD and 4K UHD ... from 6pm onwards.

SharpshooterTom

Liverpool to win it. Shouldn't be close. This is not a jinx.
They barely won the encounter at Anfield. If Sissoko had his shooting boots on they would have lost.

Liverpool going in massive favourites doesn't help them I don't think. They're under enormous pressure to win a trophy this year given the football they've played, much more so than Spurs are. If they go trophyless they will be devastated.

Spurs are under pressure to win a trophy but nobody in their right mind was expecting it to be the CL. Its a free hit really.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Liverpool to win it. Shouldn't be close. This is not a jinx.
Shouldn't be close?

We knocked out City over two legs. 11 vs 11 Liverpool really aren't THAT much better than us to the point where we should be losing badly.

I expect to lose but I doubt it'll be easy for Liverpool, and if it is I will be very disappointed.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Shouldn't be close?

We knocked out City over two legs. 11 vs 11 Liverpool really aren't THAT much better than us to the point where we should be losing badly.

I expect to lose but I doubt it'll be easy for Liverpool, and if it is I will be very disappointed.
I don't mean that it will be a blowout, should have clarified that. I mean that if you flip a coin ten times, Liverpool wins like 7 or 8 times.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't mean that it will be a blowout, should have clarified that. I mean that if you flip a coin ten times, Liverpool wins like 7 or 8 times.
Fair. I'd say 7 times out of 10 is about right, there's clearly a gap there but on neutral ground with everybody fit I definitely don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

If we play like we did at Anfield, we have a fantastic chance. Different kind of game/atmosphere obviously, but we've put in some fantastic performances on the European stage this season.

Dante

Average bang

The bottling-est manager versus the bottling-est club.

I think it'll be a high scoring game with both teams trying desperately to throw it away.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
We’ve won 4, drew 4 and lost one against Spurs since Klopp took over. But barring the day Lovren has his brain fart at Wembley all the games have been very tight. The points difference this season isn’t a true reflection of the difference between the teams - it’s much closer. Spurs had a lot to deal with this season and they did fantastic just to get top 4 again never mind getting to the CL final.

We’re favourites but not by the margin I’ve heard some people say. I expect a really tough game. Hopefully we come out on top but no chance it will be easy. We never do “easy” wins in finals (haven’t even managed a win in a while!). The last time we won in normal time was the 2003 LC final.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Liverpool's defence should give them plenty of confidence and I reckon offensively they'll target Trippier if he starts...Mane will have fun against him

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fair. I'd say 7 times out of 10 is about right, there's clearly a gap there but on neutral ground with everybody fit I definitely don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

If we play like we did at Anfield, we have a fantastic chance. Different kind of game/atmosphere obviously, but we've put in some fantastic performances on the European stage this season.
IMO it's closer than 7/10, it's finals and neutral venue. Almost everyone is fit and every team had proper rest to prepare for the finals. Apart from that it's always tough to play against Spurs for any team because of their work rate and physicality. Also both games in the league was very close and 1 or 2 moments changed the game.

Anyways good luck for the finals

Loublaze

ATLien
Hope Spurs win this. I'll be watching the game at Atlanta United's Mercedez Benz stadium before Atlanta play. Atlanta's club president Darren Eales will be in attendance. He was a former executive director at Spurs so we'll all be rooting for them of course.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Think Van Dijk will be the difference maker for Liverpool.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
As they said on the radio, and I had not thought, tomorrow will be very hot in Madrid.
I guess it will influence the game being maybe a thick and slow match. They will have to measure well the efforts.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
This might be the first time I'm going into a final since the 80s not worrying about a single player we pick for the first XI.

Usually you know 100% Djimi Traore, or Skrtel, or Lovren, or Moreno fecking Moreno, or Karius will do something. And invariably they do. This time we might still have a feck up but God knows who it will be, if anyone.