Champions League Final: Liverpool v Real Madrid | Hala Madrid!

Who do you think will win the Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pascell

That doesn't exist.

The rule is that the attacking player must be behind at least 2 opponents. Doesn't matter keeper or not. Usually you look at the last defender because the keeper is near the goal.
Ah I see, saw someone mention it was because he's behind the 'keeper. Thanks for clearing that up.

It should be one player, not two I'm not sure why its two.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm not really sure any of that makes sense. Fabinho deliberately goes for a tackle and the ball comes off him. Even if you ignore that then Kounate deliberately makes a tackle just before that as well.

RomfordRed75

So the last 3 touches were Liverpool players and it ends up with Benzema and its disallowed

ExoduS

I hope everyone agrees that Real Madrid doesn't deserve to be up a goal. They got dominated.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
What I’m extremely suspicious of, is that no other team would get such a blatantly wrong decision in their favor against Real Madrid of all teams. That just doesn’t add up for me and points to something other than VAR being poor.
These officials bent. In a Liverpool game. Again.
Liverpool can never again say they don’t get decisions
Exactly!

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
The annoying part about this is Peter Walton. He’s wrong.

He’s saying Fabinho’s touch was not deliberate which leaves it open to interpretation and corruption.

In what planet is a slide tackle tackle not a deliberate act unless you’re on ice or a wet pitch?

RedDevilQuebecois

The help they've had this season is unlike anything I've ever seen before.
A really far cry from all of those years when English clubs were consistently properly fecked by referees in Europe when Spanish opposition was in front.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Put Camavinga in and Kroos out, you need to have some energy in that midfield.

And that's a feckin goal, you know it by the amount of time it get them to call it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Is Philip Walton on crack?

If the ball is played into the goalscorer's path by an opposition player, it's onside whether it was accidental or otherwise. The rule has always been that way, right?

Lukinho

What the hell is this rule even. What player will play the ball deliberately to the opponent. This doesnt make sense

cyberman

Unless they take it as a pass forward
But the pass wasn’t meant for Benzema hence the crazy deflections. I still can’t believe this, a defender slides in , wins the ball and it’s not deliberate.
The whole things is a mess. The worst part isn’t Fabinho but the Liverpool player who gets in the first deflection, there’s no argument he isn’t trying to play the ball most of all.

Edwards6

It just sounds like UEFA haven’t organised the event that well to be fair.
Can't really blame UEFA for
That deliberately played rule should be scrapped. Who the feck came up with that rule? It's as if the rule makers wanted to make the offside rule as complicated as possible.
It's bullshit, why is Fabinho sliding if he's not deliberately trying to play the ball

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The intent of the rule as it applies here is that if a ball played by the attacking team deflects off a defender and then goes to another attacking player who was in an offside position when the attacking player played the ball, then it’s offside. But that’s not what happened here. The ball was played by a Liverpool player, not a Real player. No offside and the goal should have stood.
Exactly this. The argument would be that Valverde is the only phase of play that matters. But it's clearly the wrong interpretation of ANOTHER ambiguous rule, so will be fixed in the offseason.

Football laws need desperately simplification, no one understands anymore.

DickDastardly

Let me say it again for all the blind folk on the caf.

Valverde touches the ball, ergo its a block, not a pass.

Ergo, not a goal.

The rule is fine.

Its all you blind folk that's the problem.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If the ball hit the player accidentally then yeah it is not deliberate then going for a tackle ? Trying to win the ball, it's about a deliberate as it gets

Rajma

Apparently by the rules it’s the correct decision. Got away with one there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don’t make me laugh the moment it bounces off Konate into Fabinho it stops being an offisde. Konate plays that to Fabinho who fails to control the ball how can this be an offisde???

Dan_F

The intent of the rule as it applies here is that if a ball played by the attacking team deflects off a defender and then goes to another attacking player who was in an offside position when the attacking player played the ball, then it’s offside. But that’s not what happened here. The ball was played by a Liverpool player, not a Real player. No offside and the goal should have stood.
Correct. The way people are interpreting deliberate is hilarious. Obviously no defender deliberately plays the ball to an attacker.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The ref didn't give it, VAR did.

You're offside if there are not two players between you and the goal (those 2 players don't have to include the goalkeeper);

The decision is that when Valverde touched the ball, it hit Fabinho and went to Benzema who was offside.

The only debate is whether Fabinho deliberately gave the ball to Benzema, if involuntary then Benzema's offside.

But Liverpool are lucky.
In a more understandable example, if a midfielder plays a slide rule pass through to a striker in an offside position and the keeper rushes out and fumbles it leaving the striker to score I’m assuming most on here would call it as offside even though the striker himself did not receive the ball from the player who passed it because it touched an opposing player in the interim.