Champions League group stage draw

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Isn't this based on the past 5 years? How is real in pot 2?

Ramos

If they used the "old system" for pot 1 only Zenit and Chelsea would be swapped for Real and Atletico. So really not that much difference.

Ban

Hopefully Dinamo gets one attractive opponent but in the same time a group in which we can be at least 3rd.

leet

Hopefully Dinamo gets one attractive opponent but in the same time a group in which we can be at least 3rd.
Need to dodge Atalanta and perhaps Leipzig to have decent chances. But when you think about it, Zvezda would be the best opponent from 4th pot (football wise, everything else that match brings won't be cool), they didn't really look great through qualifiers, Dinamo is way better team. Pot 1 and 2 look terrifying, Zenit and Benfica would be the best options, but that will hardly happen.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If they used the "old system" for pot 1 only Zenit and Chelsea would be swapped for Real and Atletico. So really not that much difference.
Last year this system created the abomination: Lok Moscow, Porto, Schalke, Galatasaray where the pot 1 seed actually finished last with 3 points.

It means you have one group that's pot 2 + pot 3 + pot 3 + pot 4, while another group is pot 1 + pot 1 + pot 3 + pot 4. Which then snowballs into having a pot 1 team as group second and a pot 2/3 team as group winner in the ro16. Meaning you can get something like Juventus + Real in the same group leading to Liverpool vs Real in the ro16, meanwhile on the other end you get a group like Zenit, Benfica, Olympiacos, Galatasaray, producing Benfica as the group winners, who then give someone else a "free" ride to the QF.

It's a complete mockery of the seeding system.

neilv93

Zenit are Pot 1 and Real Madrid are Pot 2... sounds like sensible logic
It's because pot one is full of the domestic champions of the top seven league and the EL winners (assuming the CL winners come from one of the top seven leagues). I'm undecided as to whether I think it's a better structure or not... on the one hand, I think a legitimate case could be made that every pot two team is better/bigger than Zenit but on the other hand, you've gotta reward league champions in some capacity otherwise what's the point?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It's because pot one is full of the domestic champions of the top seven league and the EL winners (assuming the CL winners come from one of the top seven leagues). I'm undecided as to whether I think it's a better structure or not... on the one hand, I think a legitimate case could be made that every pot two team is better/bigger than Zenit but on the other hand, you've gotta reward league champions in some capacity otherwise what's the point?
I fully understand the process, I just find it flawed that winning the Russian league is akin to winning the PL etc..

Ban

Need to dodge Atalanta and perhaps Leipzig to have decent chances. But when you think about it, Zvezda would be the best opponent from 4th pot (football wise, everything else that match brings won't be cool), they didn't really look great through qualifiers, Dinamo is way better team. Pot 1 and 2 look terrifying, Zenit and Benfica would be the best options, but that will hardly happen.
That clash would bring so so much of the pitch stuff with it, not to mention the feeling if we lose.
Last times we played them was 29 years ago and there were huge riots at Maksimir stadium.. Football wise it would be good but then again they beat Liverpool at home last year and wouldn't be a push over, on the contrary.

Ramos

Last year this system created the abomination: Lok Moscow, Porto, Schalke, Galatasaray where the pot 1 seed actually finished last with 3 points.

It means you have one group that's pot 2 + pot 3 + pot 3 + pot 4, while another group is pot 1 + pot 1 + pot 3 + pot 4. Which then snowballs into having a pot 1 team as group second and a pot 2/3 team as group winner in the ro16. Meaning you can get something like Juventus + Real in the same group leading to Liverpool vs Real in the ro16, meanwhile on the other end you get a group like Zenit, Benfica, Olympiacos, Galatasaray, producing Benfica as the group winners, who then give someone else a "free" ride to the QF.

It's a complete mockery of the seeding system.
True. I just meant this year it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Really depends on who Zenit draw from pot 2.

Russian sides seem to benefit most of this. They have a relatively high country coefficient because of many decent performing teams (Zenit, CSKA, Lokomotiv, Krasnodar, Spartak) but not really one that stands out. No top 15-20 club (since Zenit declined). This way they get a free pot 1 side every time.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Hoping for Dortmund, Brugge and a team from pot 4.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why is Zenit in pot 1 and Real who won like 19 out of the last 20 cl's in pot 2?

edit: so I found this amazing website; Google and it told me that the Champions of the 6th highest ranking leagues are pot 1 as well as the winners of last years tournaments.

Weird that they decide to put stock in the word Champion when it suits them.

Ramos

Why is Zenit in pot 1 and Real who won like 19 out of the last 20 cl's in pot 2?

edit: so I found this amazing website; Google and it told me that the Champions of the 6th highest ranking leagues are pot 1 as well as the winners of last years tournaments.

Weird that they decide to put stock in the word Champion when it suits them.
It's been like that for a while now though.

PSV got into pot 1 this way in the 15-16 edition, remember? United were actually in their group. :(

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Russia league looks likely to lose the 6th spot to Portugal. Because of the way the points are divided up it looks like those two could swap that 6th and 7th position quite regularly for a while. I don't think there are any other leagues that close to them for now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fecking hell I forgot how depressing it was not to be involved in this draw

neilv93

I fully understand the process, I just find it flawed that winning the Russian league is akin to winning the PL etc..
Oh, my bad. Well yeah I agree, it's dumb to consider Russian league champions as a higher seed than second in La Liga or third in the PL etc. Like I said before, I think all eight in pot two could make a legit case for being bigger/better than Zenit.

However, I think UEFA have done it to avoid the 'lesser' leagues becoming disillusioned and the CL becoming an in-effect super league. Being champion of your domestic league has to count for something, after all...

As, probably, ridiculous as it sounds, I'd have the CL winners pot one seed one, EL winners pot one seed two and then the remaining 30 divied up by UEFA co-efficient/ranking. Makes no sense to me the Ufa (insert random Russian club) could win their league and get pot one yet record CL winners Real Madrid are pot two simply because they finished second/third in arguably the best domestic league. It makes no difference to the group draw for a Zenit anyway because for every Barcelona, Liverpool or Bayern they avoid there's a Real Madrid, Tottenham or Dortmund they can draw instead.

AaronRedDevil

It's like winning the PL is the same as winning the Irish league. And if that's the case why isn't there any Irish teams in the CL.....would really handy tbh ha. Barcelona vs cork. Epic match.

R'hllor

That clash would bring so so much of the pitch stuff with it, not to mention the feeling if we lose.
Last times we played them was 29 years ago and there were huge riots at Maksimir stadium.. Football wise it would be good but then again they beat Liverpool at home last year and wouldn't be a push over, on the contrary.
It could turn into shit show really fast. You would probably have some cnuts trying to score some points on the back of it, not to mention baiting lunatics on both sides.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
feck outta here with this bullshit

How is it flawed that an actual league champion is placed above a team that didn't win shit last season?

This is what happens when you let non-champions into the CL, now they think they're special because they play in England or Spain. You were just let in to make up the numbers

Ban

It could turn into shit show really fast. You would probably have some cnuts trying to score some points on the back of it, not to mention baiting lunatics on both sides.
Yup. I think UEFA would maybe ban away fans but it would be horrible even without that. Not to mention media creaming themselves over the prospect. Articles would write themselves.

Bwuk

Liverpool
Atletico
Inter Milan
Galatasary

Please.

R'hllor

Didnt you neighbors let you know? :D
They went to watch it down town, their friends place, guess closer to get out after if they go through. Thank God for that, otherwise i would have to listen stories about Marin and some feck from Las Palmas.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
We could just kill the seeding and mix them all up for a nice 32 team random draw. :drool:

It would be great for CL.

And particularly and more importantly, me.

Ban

They went to watch it down town, their friends place, guess closer to get out after if they go through. Thank God for that, otherwise i would have to listen stories about Marin and some feck from Las Palmas.
:lol:

What was that celebrations with helmets and on a military vehicle about?

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
https://draw.inker.one/#/cl/gs

There is this CL draw simulator you can play with (press some random buttons to simulate a random draw). I got an easy group for Chelsea and pretty much the death group for Liverpool.

Liverpool
Real Madrid
Inter Milan
Crvena Zvezda

R'hllor

What was that celebrations with helmets and on a military vehicle about?
I dont have a clue, dont watch any domestic news like nothing. So you made me google it. WTF is that tank and why they are on it, i get the trubaci thing, oh look some of players celebrated with Jami, i thought that whore died. Well Ban thank you for this.

Ban

I dont have a clue, dont watch any domestic news like nothing. So you made me google it. WTF is that tank and why they are on it, i get the trubaci thing, oh look some of players celebrated with Jami, i thought that whore died. Well Ban thank you for this.
Sorry, I know what you mean, some things are better not to know about.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Time for Flo and Zidane to work their magic

Zenith, Dinamo Zagreb and Genk :drool::drool::drool:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Can't believe people still have the energy to try to jinx Liverpool after last year. I just won't pay attention to the UCL and hope for the best.