Champions League Quarter Finals (5th - 13th Apr)

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
What did you think of the ref in the Atletico-City match?

It was Daniel Siebert, a quite young and on an international level quite inexperienced ref.

I thought he did really, really well considering this very difficult game.
He wasn't buying any acting, let the game flow if he could and handled the difficult situations and the overtime well.

He is one of my favorite refs in the Bundesliga because you never have the feeling that he wants to act tough and show off (looking at you Brych, Zwayer and Ittrich) and just let the game flow as good as possible.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
That was after they went down to ten men. Between minutes 45 and 90 they suffocated you, even before the shithousery started. That’s all that people will talk about now but they should’ve scored a couple. I’ve never seen City pinned back like that under Pep apart from at Anfield.
But didn't create a single clear cut occasion though.
The only clear cut occasion Atletico created was the last occasion of the game, but even by as at that time the game should have been over had Gundogan scored the occasion he had just before.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Weren't Atletico already in trouble with their fans behaviour? Didn't watch the game, but if those scenes are anything to go by, Savic was lucky to not see red and that turd who spat at people in the tunnel needs a nice long ban.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Literally most the top voted post on reddit is,

Savic grabs Grealish's hair

Footage of Vrsaljko spitting on Man City Players

Savic headbutting Sterling

Llorente pushes Ake to Ederson and smiles

:lol:

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Simeone's Atletico is often revolting and always boring. Glad their dark arts have backfired today. Unable to produce a goal in 180 minutes. Antifootball.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why are people happy with a City win?

Also, surprised at City lost control of this game.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Why are people happy with a City win?

Also, surprised at City lost control of this game.
It's not that surprising IMO, though very unusual to see it happen for such a long period in the game. They were obviously very tired after such an intense game against Liverpool on Sunday evening, and then had to travel to Spain. And then KDB and Walker got injured against Atletico.

They'll lose on Saturday against Liverpool IMO, due to the same reasons.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not that surprising IMO, though very unusual to see it happen for such a long period in the game. They were obviously very tired after such an intense game against Liverpool on Sunday evening, and then had to travel to Spain. And then KDB and Walker got injured against Atletico.

They'll lose on Saturday against Liverpool IMO, due to the same reasons.
That's probably the league in jeopardy for them then.

Real Name

Best part is it all started when Atletico players were mad at City's time wasting. Talk about tasting your own medicine.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

It was Daniel Siebert, a quite young and on an international level quite inexperienced ref.

He wasn't buying any acting, let the game flow if he could and handled the difficult situations and the overtime well.

He is one of my favorite refs in the Bundesliga because you never have the feeling that he wants to act tough and show off (looking at you Brych, Zwayer and Ittrich) and just let the game flow as good as possible.
Shite imo, was too lenient in the first half and wasn't giving yellows early enough. He let the bullshit fouls go on too long, didn't punish playacting and diving properly so let it descend into proper madness.

Would have probably went to shit either way tbh but I wouldn't say I was impressed with him.

MalaysianRed7

Savic could have chinned Grealish, no, could have chinned Bruno when we played them and I’d still have supported Atletico in this tie. How are you a United fan if you supported City last night? Mind-boggling.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

That's probably the league in jeopardy for them then.
I remember people saying that when KDB was out a few seasons ago for a few months. They won every single game he missed and the title.

They have one of the easiest run ins in the whole league.

They could lose against Liverpool at the weekend though. The Scouse played a League Cup team against Benfica so will be fully rested.

NoPace

I remember people saying that when KDB was out a few seasons ago for a few months. They won every single game he missed and the title.

They have one of the easiest run ins in the whole league.

They could lose against Liverpool at the weekend though. The Scouse played a League Cup team against Benfica so will be fully rested.
I'd be tempted if I was Pep to play more of a 4-2-4 if KDB is out, or go back to 3 at the back. Gundogan has looked kinda ineffectual to me lately and the Silva-Rodri pivot was nice against Liverpool. Or throw Grealish or Foden in as the 3rd man, but he doesn't seem to trust them there.

NoPace

Maybe to low level epl teams some guys might be worth getting but it’s an old squad with many has bins.

In midfield Joao Mario is the standout guy and nobody wants him.

Everton has been a major flop.

Darwin is the main attraction, behind him I like Goncalo Ramos as a project player.

That’s really it really
Weigl looked alright, certainly better than what we put out at the #6 position. Maybe a replacement for Rice if he leaves, too.

He was terrible. Letting the game flow works as long as the players behave, but it's a bad idea with Atlético involved. His leniency from the off led to drama in the end and he simply let players hound him in groups constantly without repercussions. He then started chucking yellow cards like candy late in the game – that's not a consistent line at all. He (and his team) also failed to send off Savić for a headbutt.

The Dane

Savic could have chinned Grealish, no, could have chinned Bruno when we played them and I’d still have supported Atletico in this tie. How are you a United fan if you supported City last night? Mind-boggling.
Because City is the only team who can stop Liverpool from winning a quadruple

RoyH1

There’s a certain Karin Benzema who has some expertise in football. I think he can do it to and without us resorting to supporting our oil doped neighbours

MalaysianRed7

Or the club with the best player in the world, a genuinely legendary midfielder, one of the best goalkeepers in the world and historically, 6 more CL wins than the 2nd highest team on the list.

In fact, even Villarreal can do it. They’ve already knocked Bayern and Juventus out, and are very solid defensively. Anything can happen.

Also, City have Liverpool in the FA Cup semi final anyway. Hope they win that one and the title, but never the CL. Keep them on zero forever.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Aggregate xG for the QF via Fbref:
Villarreal 2 - Bayern 2.6
Real Madrid 2.7 - Chelsea 3
Manchester City 1.8 - Atletico Madrid 1.1
Liverpool 5.6 - Benfica 2.3

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
That was after they went down to ten men. Between minutes 45 and 90 they suffocated you, even before the shithousery started. That’s all that people will talk about now but they should’ve scored a couple. I’ve never seen City pinned back like that under Pep apart from at Anfield.
We definitely lost our usual shape I agree with that, but we defended well and Ederson didn't really have too much to do. You also have to take into account how targeted out players were, Walker and Kev already having to leave the pitch and Foden playing like he was drunk after their animal centre-back went through his neck. And the shithpusery didn't start at the end, it started from kick-off at the Etihad.

One of the worst refereeing performances I have seen in a long time. If he had cracked down on the thuggish behavior earlier on, the kind of behavior everyone on the planet would have predicted, the farce at the end would not have happened

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid were lucky to play the second game at home. With their resistance and that final boost from the Bernabéu they managed to win the tie.
In the case of PSG, 15 fantastic minutes in what seemed like a boarding.
City's problem is that with ball control they can slow down the pace of the game so much, preventing us from reaching those crazy moments even without playing a game as good as Chelsea. The feeling that 60 or 70 minutes have passed and we have played what they have decided.
In this case I am more pessimistic, although I usually am, and I think we should try to get a good result in England

Fts 74

This is a utd forum right?

I dislike Athletico as much as anyone else but to see Utd fans on here actually happy City beat them and potentially could equal our treble I find mind boggling.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid were lucky to play the second game at home. With their resistance and that final boost from the Bernabéu they managed to win the tie.
In the case of PSG, 15 fantastic minutes in what seemed like a boarding.
City's problem is that with ball control they can slow down the pace of the game so much, preventing us from reaching those crazy moments even without playing a game as good as Chelsea. The feeling that 60 or 70 minutes have passed and we have played what they have decided.
In this case I am more pessimistic, although I usually am, and I think we should try to get a good result in England
No Cancelo and possibly no Walker for the first leg gives me renewed hope. Guardiola will try some fresh idiocy to contain Vinicius and we'll beat them 4-1, then it's about not having another meltdown in the second leg :D

Just a pity the pateticos couldn't complete the job and get a few more suspended

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Aggregate xG for the QF via Fbref:
Real Madrid 2.7 - Chelsea 3
Interesting this, I was under the impression the difference had been bigger by reading some tweets that were posted here.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Interesting this, I was under the impression the difference had been bigger by reading some tweets that were posted here.
Different models. Fbref uses the statsbomb model, which is the most advanced and likely best/most reliable

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Or the club with the best player in the world, a genuinely legendary midfielder, one of the best goalkeepers in the world and historically, 6 more CL wins than the 2nd highest team on the list.

In fact, even Villarreal can do it. They’ve already knocked Bayern and Juventus out, and are very solid defensively. Anything can happen.

Also, City have Liverpool in the FA Cup semi final anyway. Hope they win that one and the title, but never the CL. Keep them on zero forever.
It's a matter of probabilities tbh. You'd want Liverpool to face the toughest opponents on paper as much as possible

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
No Cancelo and possibly no Walker for the first leg gives me renewed hope. Guardiola will try some fresh idiocy to contain Vinicius and we'll beat them 4-1, then it's about not having another meltdown in the second leg :D

Just a pity the pateticos couldn't complete the job and get a few more suspended
Isn't De Bruyne injured too?

joi_division

Supports
AS Roma
I liked last nights game. That's how they all should end. Nothing makes me more sick than seeing two teams do battle only to stop and hug and laugh as soon as the final whistle blows.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Atletico Madrid were pushed to "madness" because of Manchester City's time-wasting tactics, according to Koke, who insisted he was "proud" of his team's performance in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final. Koke defended his team-mates in a post-match interview, insisting they were unfairly provoked by City throughout the 90 minutes. The Spanish midfielder also claimed that if the shoe was on the other foot, Atletico would have been slammed for using underhand tactics to slow the match down. “The match takes you to that madness when you see that you have chances and they drop to the ground and waste time," Koke said.

The level of irony here is too much... Mentally broken by a midget from Stockport.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He'll be at a different club next season. Benfica will cash in on him and find a different gem from SA for £100k.
To be fair Darwin came from Almeria in the Spanish second division - cost them €22m I believe.

That said, that's definitely the Benfica model!