Champions League Quarter Finals | Chelsea vs Real (Tue) | Bayern vs City (Wed)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rashford's injured, who knows when and how he'll return. The last time we met City outside of Old Trafford, we conceded six and there's also the 7-0 at Anfield and shipping three at Arsenal. They have a better defence, they are better at retaining the ball, they have more pace, technical ability, a deadly striker... They'd be overwhelming favourites.
Pretty sure they were heavy favourites against us in 2021 too. Pretty sure we were overwhelming favourites in the cup final vs Leicester also in 2021. I understand they’re the better team. I was just struck by you saying you have no chance.

Siorac

Pretty sure they were heavy favourites against us in 2021 too. Pretty sure we were overwhelming favourites in the cup final vs Leicester also in 2021. I understand they’re the better team. I was just struck by you saying you have no chance.
I guess there's always the chance of Pep fielding a starting line-up as surprisingly, ahem, unorthodox as he did in the '21 CL final... but if they pick a normal team, without major injuries, they'll win.

And why are you so surprised? You yourself said that you might prefer losing to Real Madrid instead of suffering an inevitable drubbing at the hands of City!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I guess there's always the chance of Pep fielding a starting line-up as surprisingly, ahem, unorthodox as he did in the '21 CL final... but if they pick a normal team, without major injuries, they'll win.

And why are you so surprised? You yourself said that you might prefer losing to Real Madrid instead of suffering an inevitable drubbing at the hands of City!
Seriously? We are having a much better season than Chelsea and have a much better manager than them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Well we’re 11th in the table and getting beat by pretty much every team we face. We’re having the worst season in like 30 years and we’re essentially managerless. Trust me I felt differently about the prospect of facing City in 2021 when we were 3rd in the league and we had Tuchel. It was also very tongue in cheek. I don’t actually want to lose to Real Madrid tonight.

Siorac

Seriously? We are having a much better season than Chelsea and have a much better manager than them.
To be honest, I kind of forgot that they are being managed by Frank fecking Lampard of all people right now so yeah. That makes it tough, to say the least.

Having a poor season doesn't matter that much in a cup tie, actual player quality is more important and there's not much between us and Chelsea on that front.

mu4c_20le

To be honest, I kind of forgot that they are being managed by Frank fecking Lampard of all people right now so yeah. That makes it tough, to say the least.
Coming into this thread cold and reading this out of context akes it look like you're bigging them up against Madrid

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I am not expecting much, but to look like a team that is not in disarray would be nice.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I am not expecting much, but to look like a team that is not in disarray would be nice.
I don’t know if I would be that pessimistic. Chelsea have quietly become the most successful PL team in the tournament in the last 15 years. A couple more wins this in the CL will see you as the fellow European giants.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t know if I would be that pessimistic. Chelsea have quietly become the most successful PL team in the tournament in the last 15 years. A couple more wins this in the CL will see you as the fellow European giants.
It is more a statemen of the form and turmoil the squad is at right now. If we could have a half decent build up and mostly some good finishing, I would be less pessimistic. We struggled with Wolves a couple of days ago. We have no finishing quality at all right now.

I do think we have players that can built into a quality team, but I doubt it is happening in the next few weeks to end the season.

MoskvaRed

I don’t share the pessimism about facing City as, while they are outstanding, we are a good side too these days. If we do make the Europa League final, though, we will be at a significant disadvantage, with the FA Cup final just 3 days later. City meanwhile would get a week off.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
This takes all the pressure off Super Frank. If we get beat, all the attention will be on Boehly’s statement.

Son

Saying that City would start a final as overwhelming favorite (same against all teams on the planet today bar Madrid… and just for heritage and the usual Pep’s overthinking) does not mean that on the day Utd could not well win 3-0… it just says that anything going as usual, City win many more times than not.
I believe City learnt last season after let’s be honest getting fluke beaten by Madrid. Odds on I reckon they could demolish Real on current form.

I don’t see how Real hang with them apart from City missing chances. Lightning would have to strike twice which it rarely ever does.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Milan vs Real Madrid final for vintage fans from everywhere!

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The hell we're not talking about a rapist here, wtf. Very flawed man?!?!
He was a great defender in his prime but the sheer amount of red cards. For that reason, he isn’t even comparable to modern greats, in my opinion. Which is a shame but you don’t want your captain to get 20 red cards or whatever ridiculous number he has. The recognized greats never let their team down to that degree.

For reference, he has received the 3rd most career reds ever. Keeping company with all time greats Felipe melo, guy Medel and rafa Márquez.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Today is the day of the redemption of Don Federico Santiago Valverde Dipetta, watch out!

ti vu

Does he even know what Real Madrid is? I have a suspicion that because PL is the top league now, he thinks any teams from other league suck out of ignorance. Chelsea top their group and beat Dortmund last round while struggling in PL and in domestic cups all along. Don't think he's football smart enough to do genuine mind game.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was a great defender in his prime but the sheer amount of red cards. For that reason, he isn’t even comparable to modern greats, in my opinion. Which is a shame but you don’t want your captain to get 20 red cards or whatever ridiculous number he has. The recognized greats never let their team down to that degree.

For reference, he has received the 3rd most career reds ever. Keeping company with all time greats Felipe melo, guy Medel and rafa Márquez.
I mean, every single one of his peers recognizes him as a great of the game, as do former players, coaches and pundits...he very much is widely recognized as an all time great. Modern greats generally considered him the best in the world, most of the best strikers of the era consider him the best defender they faced, etc...

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Which DM option so Madrid have other than Tchoumeni? Valverde doesn't play there right?
No, Valverde plays on the right, but with frequent helps and covers.
Camavinga(today left back) could play there, and Tchouameni as you say.
It looks like he wants to repeat the Clásico team, with Rodrygo starting.