Champions League Quarter Finals | Chelsea vs Real (Tue) | Bayern vs City (Wed)

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Was I the only one that felt Bernardo Silvas yellow card was lenient?

He dived in with studs up the back of a players calf and it barely got discussed.
No, i thought the same. It was deliberate and he had no intention to play the ball, either. You rarely see the referees give them, though, in the centre of the park. But, had it gone to on-field VAR check, the referee would definitely have had a decision to make.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
For what it is Worth the tie is far from over. Bayern has the ability to put the pressure on early and score two or three quick goals.

Our main advantage this year is how good we utilise the for centre-backs without it taking away from our attack. Ake and Akanji is a very different proposition for a opposing winger to be up against for a full 90 minutes compared to a Zinchenko or Cancelo caught in transition. That added to Dias, Stones and Rodri we are so physical and good at defending our box ulike anything I have ever seen under Pep

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Not that it really mattered because Upamecano would have found a way no matter what but the ref was a bit shit. The just mentioned Bernardo foul was borderline red, the two clear fouls before corners for city of which one led to the third goal and the other one to a decent chance for city were horrible calls.

Care_de_Bobo

apparently Arsenal winning the league is by far the worst option for some fans because City's success doesn't count or something something :rolleyes:
It does just feel hollow though. I had the same feeling when we were getting beat by Newcastle last week, they are technically competing with us but it feels totally artificial. When you pump enough money into a project then the success that follows is inevitable, kinda sucks the fun out of the game.

I watched City beat Bayern and felt nothing. I was just thinking about how much better it would be if all of City's top players were spread around other top European teams like they should be and how much better the competition would be. City, PSG and Chelsea are really killing the game. I honestly wouldn't even feel that excited if United made the final of the CL next season and ended up facing one of those clubs.

City might win the treble, but it'll never match United's with 7 homegrown lads in the squad, beating Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle en route to the FA Cup and winning the league on the last day at a time when it was genuinely competitive from top to bottom. It's just sad that nothing like that will happen again. Football has gone from the working man's game to a plaything for the super rich and a cash cow for a few opportunistic leeches.

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
Inter play many games, cup, liga, cl, this win were great, repeat el triplets - go catenaccio on the competitors

The Purley King

Bayern are a decent team you could see it in their patterns of play.
Lacked the intensity in key moments.
City can do that to anyone and I don’t think they even played particularly well tonight.
clear gulf in class in my opinion……… regrettably

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Think City will win it after that. Only hope is that Napoli can beat them in a one off game with Pep out Pepping himself in the final.

Andre Kagawa

It's probably been answered already, but why did Citeh fans boo Cancelo? Isn't he still a City player?

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
It's probably been answered already, but why did Citeh fans boo Cancelo? Isn't he still a City player?
Not sure I agree that he should be booed, but he has been running his mouth a bit lately where he could easily have said nothing at all. If you take into account that his toxic personality has already been called out at Bayern I think the City fans tried to hammer it home that he is the issue. Seemed pretty half-arsed booing though from through the TV-screen

croadyman

I know it’s defeatist but I can’t shake this feeling that rather get knocked out by Madrid than get battered City in the semis :nervous:
Don't worry many of our fans feel the same in FA Cup. Not particularly appealing being battered by City at Wembley. This is a very different team to the one we beat in January.

AndyMUFC

Feel like we have to go through this hoping they don't win the Treble malarkey every season. They were having a poor season by their standards up until a few weeks ago, but they're finding form at the right time.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Don't worry many of our fans feel the same in FA Cup. Not particularly appealing being battered by City at Wembley. This is a very different team to the one we beat in January.
If I was in United’s position with the season you’re having, there’s no chance I’d be feeling pessimistic about United’s chances against City. Yeah they’re in red hot form but you’re having a strong enough season yourselves not to cower in their presence.

Eddy_JukeZ

Bayern were in the game until Upamecano's horror show. They completely capitulated after that.

Tie's over unless they score very early at the Allianz.

Heinzesight

For what it is Worth the tie is far from over. Bayern has the ability to put the pressure on early and score two or three quick goals.
It’s over. Reverse jinxing whilst three nil up and cruising to a semi - you’re better than that.
Did I just reverse jinx the reverse jinx?

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
It’s over. Reverse jinxing whilst three nil up and cruising to a semi - you’re better than that.
Did I just reverse jinx the reverse jinx?
After living through Bernabeu last year, I'm not confident before the whistle blows

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Don't think the coach change mattered much for this one, City just have much more attacking quality than this Bayern-side.

caid

Theres a gap in quality between City and everyone else. Your really need a great performance from every player on the pitch to stand a chance against them. You cant carry anyone. Or else your left hoping for them to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, which they're quite good at but cant last forever. I think you'd need a pretty flawless performance to even take advantage of it at this point.
Current set up is an interesting one

colombianmancunian

If I was in United’s position with the season you’re having, there’s no chance I’d be feeling pessimistic about United’s chances against City. Yeah they’re in red hot form but you’re having a strong enough season yourselves not to cower in their presence.
Some people like to be negative for the sake of it. With our team at full strength I like our chances on a one off against any team except maybe Real Madrid.

Bayern let me down, I want to see the b.ald f.raud packing off form the CL. I guess I have to bet on Madrid to do it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great result. Keep wanting City to win the treble lads. There’s a gulf between them and the rest of the teams in the CL now as well (with the biggies having regressed). As long as they play at their solid level they’ll be favourites in every game and really should win it. feck

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That defending was horrific, only watched the highlights be wow Bayern were all over the place at the back. Imagine leaving Haaland of all people completely unmarked for the 3rd.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Until that Upamecano gaffe that caused the second goal I thought both teams were fairly evenly matched. Both teams created chances and could have scored, wouldn't count the Gundogan chance as one as it would have most likely been ruled out for a blatant foul on Sommer. Sane missed some really good opportunities to score or play his teammate in, ofcourse. Feels ridiculous to say but Choupo Moting is arguably one of their most important players now, Bayern completely lacked any focal point in attack without a striker (Mane has just not worked as one this season).

After that second goal Bayern just shut down mentally and got away with just conceding 3 goals. As I said, they're always due a defensive implosion. Upamecano is a the French Lucio, talented but utterly brainless at times and needs a manager to discipline him.

No chance Bayern get anything from a second leg other than a bit of respectability.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

That defending was horrific, only watched the highlights be wow Bayern were all over the place at the back. Imagine leaving Haaland of all people completely unmarked for the 3rd.
It’s not really surprising. Bayern shot themselves in the foot with the managerial appointments / changes and not having replaced Lewandowski either. They were always going to struggle against a settled and superior City team.

amolbhatia50k

Don't think the coach change mattered much for this one, City just have much more attacking quality than this Bayern-side.
While the quality difference is huge having a let down of a coach first and then a new manager in can’t help. Having a better manager - let’s say Tuchel for two years in charge - would obviously help them.

York

Upamecano with one of the worst CB performances I've ever seen, and that's coming from a United fan.

mark.ward82

are you for real???? There won’t be a person in that Man Utd dressing room that won’t fancy playing city in a final at Wembley if we both get there. They have lots of vulnerabilities in their side and we can cause them problems all game.
Look at the lineups last night are you surprised Bayern lost? I recognise city are a decent side but if you are scared to face them then stick to watching eastenders. With the way they over complicate playing out from the back you always have a chance particularly with our pace against their back line. Do you think Casemiro is sat shuddering at the thought of spending 90 mins playing them after the career he has had ?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What a performance:

RopersReturn

Great game but not the same quality or intensity as the Wrexham vs Notts County match yesterday. One swallow doesn't make a Sommer.