Champions League R16 return fixtures

Devil may care

Juve slaughtered Dortmund, their defense was rock solid, their midfield overpowered and outworked Klopps, and Tevez was lethal up top. Not for the first time this season I was impressed with Pereyra, he looks like another shrewd bit of business by Juve.

They have a genuine shot at winning the whole thing this year IMO.

R'hllor

Not really. Kolarov had a decent spell at the end of 13/14 season where he was kinda first choice LB for us, but even then Clichy got picked for the trickier games like away to Liverpool to deal with Sterling. He's never been our undisputed first choice LB and has always just been an average defender with an immense cross, and still is.
Think Kolarov is way better wing back then classic LB,you should try to sell him back to Serie A team,more chance for 3-5-2 to be used there.

NoPace

Pellegrini is a weird manager, his squad needs some quality in the defense and midfield and he goes to buy Bony in the winter break :wenger:
It was weird they didn't sell one of Dzeko or Jovetic and use to cash to buy a left back or a central midfielder, or couple it with a Navas or Fernando sell and subsequent upgrade for their spots.

Basically, their problem is always the same. Aguero-Silva-Toure need to complimented with other stars (who fit a front 6), their left backs are crap and Kompany makes mistakes but seemingly can't be upgraded, really.

They had the right sort of idea with the Fernandinho and Mangala signings, but they haven't come off yet, particularly the latter. If they'd spent that 35 million on Ricardo Rodriguez, for example, that's a much stronger team.

NoPace

Juve slaughtered Dortmund, their defense was rock solid, their midfield overpowered and outworked Klopps, and Tevez was lethal up top. Not for the first time this season I was impressed with Pereyra, he looks like another shrewd bit of business by Juve.

They have a genuine shot at winning the whole thing this year IMO.
Pereyra played quite well, yeah. Better than when I'd seen him before.

Marchisio had a strong game, too. Shame we missed out on him if/when he was available. Marchisio-Carrick-Herrera would be a tough but mobile and not uncreative (though not perfect there) 3.

Juve can't bring back Pirlo to start the CL. Off the bench, an intriguing option to change a game, though.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Can see City having a problem in the summer.

Aguero is at an age where he really needs to think if he'll ever get a good shot at winning the CL at City, and looking at their previous years attempts they don't look any closer.

Toure is also at an age where he is on massive money and seems to be declining. I can't remember the last time he put in one of those performances that destroy teams.

Without those two their team suddenly becomes very ordinary. The fact they spent that money on Bony doesn't bode well. He is a good player, but no way is he in the bracket of a Silva, Toure, Aguero, Kompany type of signing. Their squad is aging, they're on massive money and look like they're really struggling in some games this year.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Barca vs Manchester City
Pellegrini should kiss his goalkeeper tonight....if the result would have been like a 4-0 then many people would scream for his sacking.

Dortmund vs Juventus

That was really a great performance from Juventus. Hopefully they're having fit all players for the QF.

Tevez had a stormer as well, it seems.
His goal for us against FC Porto in the CL quarter-final 2008-2009 ==>> Then 25 games without a european goal for us, Manchester City and Juventus ==>> Now 7 goals in his last 9 games

Bojan11

Why are people blaming Pellegrini for the signings? He doesn't sign the players.

Their last 3 windows have been shocking. They basically done what we did under Fergies last few years and improve the squad. But not improve the starting 11.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Barca vs Manchester City
Pellegrini should kiss his goalkeeper tonight....if the result would have been like a 4-0 then many people would scream for his sacking.

Dortmund vs Juventus

That was really a great performance from Juventus. Hopefully they're having fit all players for the QF.

His goal for us against FC Porto in the CL quarter-final 2008-2009 ==>> Then 25 games without a european goal for us, Manchester City and Juventus ==>> Now 7 goals in his last 9 games
Fecking Carlitos :mad:

Nedved

Pereyra played quite well, yeah. Better than when I'd seen him before.

Marchisio had a strong game, too. Shame we missed out on him if/when he was available. Marchisio-Carrick-Herrera would be a tough but mobile and not uncreative (though not perfect there) 3.

Juve can't bring back Pirlo to start the CL. Off the bench, an intriguing option to change a game, though.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think Barca have adopted their style a bit since Guardiola has left - seems more direct to me. Also having a traditional world class No 9 in Suarez makes their game more dangerous.
Would love to see them against Bayern in the final given the form of these 2 teams atm.

Big respect to Juve. If they do not draw Barca or Bayern they could make it into the last 4.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Out of the 15 Spanish victories, I wonder how many were not Real Madrid or Barca.
2008-09: Arsenal 3-0 Villarreal, Barcelona 1-1 Chelsea, Barcelona 2-0 Man Utd
2009-10: Barcelona 6-3 Arsenal, Atletico 2-2p Liverpool, Atletico 2-1 Fulham
2010-11: Barcelona 4-3 Arsenal, Barcelona 3-1 Man Utd
2011-12: Barcelona 2-3 Chelsea, Athletic 5-3 Man Utd, Valencia 2-0 Stoke
2012-13: Real Madrid 3-2 Man Utd,
2013-14: Barcelona 4-1 Man City, Atletico 3-1 Chelsea
2014-15: Barcelona 3-1 Man City

7 by Barcelona but just one caused by Real Madrid (Atletico have 4).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Problem with January window is the players you want are not Always available.
Yes indeed but I still think there are some players worth buying and who are of decent quality. Bony is a good player but he wasn't really needed at City.

It's not that long ago they bought Fernandinho. I realise he's not been very good this season though
He's been better than Toure without a doubt but that doesn't mean much.

It was weird they didn't sell one of Dzeko or Jovetic and use to cash to buy a left back or a central midfielder, or couple it with a Navas or Fernando sell and subsequent upgrade for their spots.

Basically, their problem is always the same. Aguero-Silva-Toure need to complimented with other stars (who fit a front 6), their left backs are crap and Kompany makes mistakes but seemingly can't be upgraded, really.

They had the right sort of idea with the Fernandinho and Mangala signings, but they haven't come off yet, particularly the latter. If they'd spent that 35 million on Ricardo Rodriguez, for example, that's a much stronger team.
I think you meant Fernando who they signed for too much money, just like Mangala. For these sums involved, you have to be sure your player is a top class confirmed talent.
Because he is not meant to be the fix to all their problems but another part of the overall team they are trying to build? Plus he was available and the players the want at other positions weren't yet? Just a guess
Possibly yes but why buy a player who isn't going to improve you one bit ? Better to buy no one than to buy someone for the sake of it.

Raul Madrid

2008-09: Arsenal 3-0 Villarreal, Barcelona 1-1 Chelsea, Barcelona 2-0 Man Utd
2009-10: Barcelona 6-3 Arsenal, Atletico 2-2p Liverpool, Atletico 2-1 Fulham
2010-11: Barcelona 4-3 Arsenal, Barcelona 3-1 Man Utd
2011-12: Barcelona 2-3 Chelsea, Athletic 5-3 Man Utd, Valencia 2-0 Stoke
2012-13: Real Madrid 3-2 Man Utd,
2013-14: Barcelona 4-1 Man City, Atletico 3-1 Chelsea
2014-15: Barcelona 3-1 Man City

7 by Barcelona but just one caused by Real Madrid (Atletico have 4).
Madrid beat Spurs in 2011.

Sarni

I think you meant Fernando who they signed for too much money, just like Mangala. For these sums involved, you have to be sure your player is a top class confirmed talent.
Fernando cost £12m. For that amount it's always a punt, sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. Fernando was a known player and they knew what he was capable of.

Sarni

My mistake then. Mangala and Bony are absurd signings though.
Fernandinho cost £33m I think and I don't think he was value for money. Bony and Mangala vastly overpriced too.