Champions League R16 return fixtures

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
George Hamilton and Ronnie Whelan on RTÉ 2. Liked Whelan as a player, as a commentary team, cringe-worthy.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Harts obviously motm for City but jeez that was some dire finishing from barca tonight. Too many straight at the keeper and taking too long.

Trizy

Joe Hart was the only difference between 1-0 and 10-1, but Neymar and Suarez were shite tonight too so made it easier for him.

Hojoon

Messi and Hart the best players on the pitch by a mile. Neymar and Suárez should have had hat-tricks.

Zoo

Hart was good but the finishing from Barca was sloppy and lazy, like they just lost interest in the second half.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
So we are relying on This Everton team to avoid complete and utter european annihilation for England?

Great.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Looks like it is on us next year to make some progress in the CL :smirk:.

It is a waste that the PL keeps sending City and Arsenal. Neither ever has a chance of getting past the quarters, let alone winning...
The PL doesn't ''send'' us to the CL, we finish in the top 4. You should try it.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Incredible that I'm disappointed City didn't get something out of that game given how uneven it was. We really should have punished them for not taking their chances. A much better performance than the previous ones v Barca, but there's only so much you can do when you are playing a superior side with Messi enjoying himself.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Pellegrini is a weird manager, his squad needs some quality in the defense and midfield and he goes to buy Bony in the winter break :wenger:
for what was it? 30 million? FFP will feck them up, they are on the way not up.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Hart was brilliant but 3 or 4 o the chances were hit right at him. Neymar's last two he hit straight at him

Raul Madrid

Incredible performance by Hart, he was excellent. A one-man wall keeping his team in the game in a contest that should have been over long ago. Man of the Match.

Count Orduck

Aguero was gash tonight. I'm probably misremembering, but has he ever turned it on in a big game? I can't really remember an important game for either City or Argentina where he made the difference. I know he scored against Bayern earlier in the season, but they were down to ten and masters of their own downfall - he didn't make the difference himself.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
for what was it? 30 million? FFP will feck them up, they are on the way not up.
A pointless transfer, a very stupid decision.

Aguero was gash tonight. I'm probably misremembering, but has he ever turned it on in a big game? I can't really remember an important game for either City or Argentina where he made the difference. I know he scored against Bayern earlier in the season, but they were down to ten and masters of their own downfall - he didn't make the difference himself.
In the group stages against Bayern.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me

Theonas

Scout
I appreciate that we need to have a ball-playing defender to help us build from the back and, also appreciate that ex-midfielders in defence/composed defenders have been de rigeur for a few years now but it's only any use if they're not called upon to do much defensive work - ie if they've got players like Iniesta and Xaxi ahead of them.

If he played for us he wouldn't get to live a Pique-like existence of acting as an extra, deep midfielder who rarely has to do any donkey work - he'd need to actually defend, which I don't think seems to be his forte. That's my concern.
Yea I agree perfectly with this. The thing is though the aim is to not have to do much defensive work. To defend through controlling the game and tempo. Barcelona and Bayern don't have to do much defending. Of course that has to do a lot with the quality of players they have but it also has to do with how they built their teams and the amazing tactical and positional understanding they have. The players make the system work perfectly but the system in place also is tailor made for their players. That is why it's a long process and very rarely actually comes off. But I think that's what Van Gaal aims to do. My concern on the other hand is the nature of the PL where it's too rushed and physical that it's much harder to develop a coherent style of playing.

Sam

Incredible performance by Hart, he was excellent. A one-man wall keeping his team in the game in a contest that should have been over long ago. Man of the Match.
You lot should buy him. Best keeper in the PL.

Honestly! :angel:

Classical Mechanic

WOW, Dortmund got totally dicked on their own patch! I wonder if that is the last of we see of them at the highest level for a while.

I thought that City did OK actually. Aguero really bottled that penalty. Suarez and Neymar were poor in front of goal but coming off his line to face down one on ones is Joe Harts strong suit. You have to give him some credit in that regard, like him or loath him.

Adebesi

Incredible that I'm disappointed City didn't get something out of that game given how uneven it was. We really should have punished them for not taking their chances. A much better performance than the previous ones v Barca, but there's only so much you can do when you are playing a superior side with Messi enjoying himself.
Yep. Been there.

Blackwidow

Yea I agree perfectly with this. The thing is though the aim is to not have to do much defensive work. To defend through controlling the game and tempo. Barcelona and Bayern don't have to do much defending. Of course that has to do a lot with the quality of players they have but it also has to do with how they built their teams and the amazing tactical and positional understanding they have. The players make the system work perfectly but the system in place also is tailor made for their players. That is why it's a long process and very rarely actually comes off. But I think that's what Van Gaal aims to do. My concern on the other hand is the nature of the PL where it's too rushed and physical that it's much harder to develop a coherent style of playing.
Defense just starts in the moments the ball gets lost and the striker or offensive midfielders are as responsible as the defender is. In the same way the defender with his passing is responsible for the offense, too.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
:lol:

Nope, the player who scored a game winning hat-trick did not make the difference.

ChaddyP

Pellegrini is a weird manager, his squad needs some quality in the defense and midfield and he goes to buy Bony in the winter break :wenger:

to be honest i don't think Pellegrini has much say on the comings and goings of the squad. City have a Spanish style organizational structure. Not a British type

Count Orduck

Yeh, QPR isn't a big game, not in the sense I mean it. It was a great goal, and I'm not denying its magnitude nor his obvious talent, but banging one in against the team seventeenth in the league might be a moment history remembers forever, but it's not what I'm talking about.

But you know this, and are just being facetious to score humour points. Carry on.