Champions League Round of 16 (14th Feb - 15th Mar)

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Why do they count the D outside the box for encroachment but fouls in the D outside the area aren't a penalty?

Siorac

It’s a simple rule. Players from both teams entered the box before the ball was kicked - the penalty has to be repeated whatever the outcome of the shot
That's not how the rule works at all. The outcome of the penalty is actually an important factor.

Edit: no, sorry, I misunderstood your post.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If a keeper gets booked once for time wasting, there is absolutely no chance he will ever get booked a 2nd time for it which means he will keep on doing it

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Knew Dortmund would turn up tonight and just get done. Serial losers.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nah. My money will be on Chelsea 100%. They are crushing Brugges but that team is terrible. Scott Parker is an awful manager.
Fair enough - but for me Benfica look a far more cohesive team and they don't have the finishing issues that Chelsea do

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The BVB guy (Ozcan?) who clearanced the ball was inside the semicircle so ref's decision is 100% correct.
Yea didn't realize that the semicircle counts as a restricted area for pens, then it was the correct decision. Harsh, but by the rules.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There’s been an avalanche of stupid penalties given since VAR was introduced. That doesn’t help your case.
My point is that pre-VAR there were far more innocuous penalties given where no one would blink an eye.

If his arm had been there when the ball was kicked I'd agree that it's not a penalty - but it's plainly evident that his arm was lower by his side at first so it therefore moves towards the ball and away from his body. Therefore penalty.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I get why they got rid of the away goal rule as it isn’t much more difficult for an away team in Europe now, but it has made these ties less interesting.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fair enough - but for me Benfica look a far more cohesive team and they don't have the finishing issues that Chelsea do
Benfica has a better manager but in individual terms Chelsea's team is too much to handle. Doubt Benfica's defense could handle it specially the full backs which are Benfica's main weakness. Chelsea is also more used to this type of high pressure games (play in the Prem and perform better in the latter stages of the CL).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Benfica has a better manager but in individual terms Chelsea's team is too much to handle. Doubt Benfica's defense could handle it specially the full backs which are Benfica's main weakness. Chelsea is also more used to this type of high pressure games (play in the Prem and perform better in the latter stages of the CL).
Benfica did well vs PSG, they shouldn't be scared of Chelsea

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
True - now that Potter has finally realised that the squad is designed for a 3-4-3 the wide areas could be a problem.

Reynoldo

I get why they got rid of the away goal rule as it isn’t much more difficult for an away team in Europe now, but it has made these ties less interesting.
Yeah I think so too or maybe we just have the away goals rule ingrained in us after all these years

Boavista

Dortmund not really doing too much anymore. They didn't even play that badly tonight, just really toothless. Clearly missing some attackers, and as good as Hallers hold up and link up play is he's rarely in the box when a dangerous attack could develop.