Champions League Round of 16 first leg (second week) 23/02 24/02

Zoo

Kiev were poor and they just City play but credit where it's due, 3 away goals is very good going.

prarek

He's played all over the pitch. For Valencia he was mostly played as left-back. Before that he used to be a left winger for Depor.
I'd say he's found his best position as either deep-lying playmaker or left interior for PSV and Mexico.
Well he'd be very useful for Valencia right now in that position for sure. I mean in midfield.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
What the feck is wrong with Hargreaves?

PSV gain creditable draw with 10 men against one of Europes top sides.

"What does this say about Man Utd?"

"Well, it just proves even more taht they should have had an easier time in their games against them."

Maybe he thinks we played Atletico in the groups....

Untied

"Well, it just proves even more taht they should have had an easier time in their games against them."

It's almost like he hates us…

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Surely he didn't say that?? How bitter can he get

Eila

Well he'd be very useful for Valencia right now in that position for sure. I mean in midfield.
I don't think Nuno rated him, even though he was voted best player in Eredivisie last season.
Gary never got close to managing him. Wonder if he'd have tried him.

RustyS

Shouldn't they be talking about the teams that played tonight? Someone has an unhealthy obsession. ..

prarek

I don't think Nuno rated him, even though he was voted best player in Eredivisie last season.
Gary never got close to managing him. Wonder if he'd have tried him.
Don't know. I think he would have used him as a winger or a fullback. But after hearing about how he's doing id have loved to see him in the midfield alongside Parejo.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Kompany makes such a difference, great performance from him and he makes the whole defence up their level. Very happy with that, would have taken a draw before kick-off. Pellegrini vindicated in resting players v Chelsea as well, although I still maintain he had no choice really.

Hojoon

Atletico's main threat after Griezmann is basically a set-piece. Simeone deserves a lot of credit for making their defense the stingiest in Europe, but he has to take some blame on the other side of the pitch this season. Jackson, Vietto, and Correa have all failed to settle in while the likes of Koke and Oliver have either barely played or been below par.

prarek

People forget how young this Atletico team is especially the attack. Young players are rarely consistent. They can do well for 3 months and then go missing for another 3. Atletico are not doing too bad. They were top of La Liga just a few weeks ago and are going through a rough patch. Koke has been bland this week but guess who was MOTM last week against Eibar? He's having a good seson so far. Oliver had a great start to the season and started every game. Then he fade out and Carrasco stepped up. Now Carrasco is injured and Oliver is getting his chance again. Vietto was sharing game time with Jackson and now he will get more. Griezmann is have a little rough patch of his own. They did well yesterday but their attack was blunt. Rarely do Atletico have more possession in an away game like yesterday. Created more chances too. PSV are in good form and Atletico are the first team to prevent them from scoring in their own ground this season. PSV went a man down in the 70th min but the story of the game was the same before that.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I agree with most of what you say. At the same time I am slightly disappointed, that they struggle to play a more "expansive" brand of football against smaller sides. Their tactics and way to play is great, but they are now one of the best teams in the world and they have a very talented squat; most teams are perfectly happy to contain them and they struggle to adapt. Last season they simply didn´t have the players to play differently but with Koke, Oliver, Griezmann, Vietto, Correa, Carrasco (+Saul, Thomas), they have one of the most talented attacks in the world.
In my opinion they have two problems.
The first one is, that their forwards are too isolated up front.
Costa was a brilliant 1-man-army, but his replacements can´t play in a similar way. Vietto is technically very talented, but he doesn´t have the strength to win those 2v1 situations against CBs. He needs to be able to roam around and link up with other players, but he can´t do that when only Griezmann and Carrasco are really willing to go forward.
The second issue, that their central midfield is not creative enough. That is really holding them back. I´d expect Koke to do a lot better but he struggles to control games. He has moments of brilliance and is great at set-pieces, bu overall he is uninvolved too often. Oliver is simply used in the wrong position. Often Filipe Luis is their most influential player, when it comes to build-up and breaking down teams, that sit deep. That is crazy considering that he is a full-back. It is partly down to Simeone´s 442, where Koke/Oliver usually starts out wide; still Koke is one of the senior players now and I´d expect him to do better.