Champions League Round of 16 fixtures

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Actually this game reminded me a lot of the CL final last year, maybe Bayern is developing some sort of CL trauma. :P
Well, it's the first time in years that we really fecked up and went through anyway. So it's actually a good sign in my book, but I tend to be optimistic. Can't get worse than last year.

redevil2

I'm a Bayern fan, I don't judge them on one game ;).
So as a Bayern fan, you want the world to stop calling Bayern the best team in Europe?! How objective but you're not that proud of your team having progressed it seems?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm a Bayern fan, I don't judge them on one game ;).
Sorry although I quoted you, I wasn't aiming at you solely, I just read a bunch of comments saying Bayern are fakes, not so good blah blah blah. I have watched nearly all of Bayern's games this year and this seems more like a one off than being exposed

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
People going on about Arsenal's 8 year barren run of no trophies, they seriously need to shut the feck up. Mathematically, they can still win the league. All hope is not lost!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
So as a Bayern fan, you want the world to stop calling Bayern the best team in Europe?! How objective but you're not that proud of your team having progressed it seems?
???

Why should I be proud after that game? I'm quite happy we progressed.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
You cant base your judgements on one game. I'm sure it's difficult coming into a game knowing that you don't need to win to go through. Barca lost to Milan 2-0, didnt mean that they suddenly became any worse, just had a bad game, look how they turned it around... Plus Bayern were missing Schweiny and Boateng
And Ribery too so, they had lost a great deal of experience there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Classic "heroic failure".

Clearly Bayern have some kind of massive complacency issue. Winning the finals against us and Chelsea, and tonight being 3 quick fire examples off the cuff.

they'll have to sharpen up next round...but then perhaps they won't have such a coast in the 1st leg next time!

FCBayern

... plus they had a 3:1 lead from London, plus actually were the better team, ...

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Sorry although I quoted you, I wasn't aiming at you solely, I just read a bunch of comments saying Bayern are fakes, not so good blah blah blah. I have watched nearly all of Bayern's games this year and this seems more like a one off than being exposed
Yeah, it clearly was a one off. Missing several key players, a lack of concentration. Everyone in germany was already talking about the quarter finals. We'll see a different team in the next game.

alastair

ignorant
Best away display for a long time from us in Europe. Koscielny and Jenkinson were absolutely world class tonight.

The less said about an official who was scared we'd win the better.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Best away display for a long time from us in Europe. Koscielny and Jenkinson were absolutely world class tonight.

The less said about an official who was scared we'd win the better.
Jenks' improvement has been nothing short of brilliant. That recovery tackle on Robben summed him up for me these days, our best player along with Kos.

Blackwidow

Yeah, it clearly was a one off. Missing several key players, a lack of concentration. Everyone in germany was already talking about the quarter finals. We'll see a different team in the next game.
Something like this. It does not help that they are so clear of in the Bundesliga.

Maybe it was good to have this match. They have lost concentration recently, some percents here and there - after a lot of matches without goal against. And it was the first match since a year that they did not score.

A little Wake-Up call...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Well, it's the first time in years that we really fecked up and went through anyway. So it's actually a good sign in my book, but I tend to be optimistic. Can't get worse than last year.
You need to slap your captain. They went into this game with the wrong attitude. He basically said to the press before the game that there's no way that Arsenal will score 3.

It's not unusual for Bayern. I don't think there's another team in this age that wins as many CL ties on away goals or goes into ET as often.

Cevno

Bayern basically won because of Arsenal's dodgy defence.

alastair

ignorant
Jenks' improvement has been nothing short of brilliant. That recovery tackle on Robben summed him up for me these days, our best player along with Kos.
You're right - I was completely wrong on him, saying that he wasn't ever going to be good enough for the club. Less than £1m for him looks like an absolute steal.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
You underestimated Malaga, I pointed out they were a better team than you gave them credit for. ;)
Málaga was excellent last night, Pellegrini deserves some credit for the confidence and attitude his players carried to the pitch yesterday. Porto deserved nothing from that game.

But Porto is still a much better team than them. Or rather, we have a much stronger and capable first-XI. That's the problem, aside from that we have no bench, are burnt-out in March, and a couple of injuries or off-form first XI players is enough to makes us look completely different. The first leg game was as one-sided as this one, but on our favour. Home/away factor doesn't explain all this, we are clearly much worse now than one month ago.

We have been great so far, and were great in the group stages. We're just not good enough now. Terribly planned season. Jackson Martinez has started every important match this season and there's no reliable alternative to him, so he plays 90 minutes every match. Moutinho, the same, and he clearly was still injured yesterday hence why he left at half time. James has been crap since he returned from injury as well.

We had 3 players with a yellow card before the 30 minute mark, and all of them were fair bookings. It was clear Defour was going to be sent off, totally unprepared from a mental point of view.

Terribly disappointed, Malaga fully deserved to go through, but it was still an upset, and an alarm bell for a better preparation of next season. We can't have 12 or 13 reliable players, 16-18 is the minimum for a team with aspirations such as ours.

I'm sceptic about the league as well. Same story, we have a stronger first-XI than Benfica, on peak form, but they have a lot more reliable attacking options in their squad, and have had better rotation so far. Hopefully focusing only on the league from now on will offset this disadvantage partly.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Thought Málaga deserverd it, tbh but could've been a different result had Toulalan also been sent off. Rizzoli is not a competent referee for this competition

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
He seemed very strict, perhaps exaggeratedly so, but we should have adapted to that style quickly and fouled less and less aggressively. We can't assume every dangerous counter will lead to a goal.

misterredmist

Well played to the Bummers - good defensive display and a great win - shame that when they actually got their second they never looked like getting a 3rd so was not that dramatic..... fair play to them though

Bayern had a bit of a go but Arsenal defended as well as I've seen them all season...