Champions League Semi Finals (30th April - 8th May)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
True, but I'm just a bit sick of watching Lamela run in to players tbh. He's useful for his workrate and as an option, but I can't bring myself to be that devastated when he's out.

He had a good start to the season and then completely tailed off. Even minus the injuries he's a hugely frustrating and inconsistent player.
I think I've finally lost patience with Lamela this season but our bench in the 1st leg was Gazza, KWP, Davies, Skipp, Foyth, Dier and Sissoko.

Other than Sissoko....not exactly game changing or inspiring is it?

We'll have one of Moura or Llorente today and hopefully Lamela on the bench. Even if he runs around doing feck all, at least he'll be doing it better than Skipp or Foyth would be...

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
this is the end of pochettino at spurs. he's leaving. … man united may still go for him ...
1) No, he isn't leaving

2) If United "go for him" they'd be (a) undermining Ole right from the start; and (b) wasting their time: Pochettino has now publicly confirmed that he turned down Real Madrid last summer …. so he's hardly going to jump ship to join United playing in the Europa League.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If Barca appealed against the corner goal after it happened do you think it could have been reverted? I can’t remember if they did or not after it went in but I don’t think they did.
I think if there was any chance at all to appeal it, Barcelona would have done so rigorously. I was actually kind of surprised they didn't, but as another poster said, there's nothing wrong with taking a corner quickly.

It made me think of the corner Sneijder attempted in the 2010 final. He ever so slightly nudged the ball and pretended that someone else should take it. Unfortunately Spain saw through it and proceeded to collect the ball.

panEPOmodor

Supports
Inter
Am I the only one who thinks that Champion league has slowly regressed in the last 10/15 years, where a 3-0 lead in first leg is basically a 0-0 going into the 2nd leg?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It was hard for me to properly enjoy that because I was watching on a stream at work.*

I did slightly lose my cool when the third went in.

Unbelievable performance from the team. I thought Matip was incredible, easily better than Van Dijk and one of his best performances in a Liverpool shirt. My MOTM. Mane deserves a lot of credit for all of the running and battling he did as well.

Coutinho was dreadful. I didn't even know he was playing and it's kinda sad to see considering how much I enjoyed watching him play for us. He needs a fresh start. I thought Barca were cutting us apart at times in the first half but their heads dropped after Wijnaldum's brace. Seems like they were beaten after that.

Just a ridiculous night of football.

*Anyone in Canada use DAZN? I decided to go for the free trial to watch the CL semi's & the final and it's been good so far. They're getting the PL rights in Canada for next season as well.

Supports
Ajax
Ajax are the clear favourites. More injuries for us (again, ffs) and they have the advantage from the first leg. They're an excellent team all over as well.

The straws I'm clutching at currently:

-Sissoko is back!
-Son is back!
-It will arguably be the first time that Ajax are favourites in the competition so will be interesting to see how they cope with that
-One of the Dutch posters was suggesting that the Netherlands are collectively talking about how Ajax are going to fare in the final already and I saw one of their forums where some of the posters were talking about a 4-0 victory etc. In fairness, I don't blame them for their confidence but hopefully the players are the same :D
Ah the Dutch' arrogance, never fails to amaze :lol:
Yeah, nobody from any other country or club here was talking about already being in the next round and predicting “smash” games in the order of 3, 4-0 every damn day, not in the least City and Tottenham fans assessing the strength of their future opponents. :D

Juve was already proclaimed champions with an “easy route to the final” etc.

Should one really expect to browse a fan forum and not find arrogance, misplaced or over the top confidence and pride all over the place?

Hell, a Willem II fan already got a tattoo of the “cupwinner 2019” prior to playing Ajax...

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.omr...liezen-bekerfinale-Ik-heb-geen-greintje-spijt

And yeah he had it adapted and says he isn’t sorry he got a tattoo of the cup and date in the first place.

Just shoot me

Am I the only one who thinks that Champion league has slowly regressed in the last 10/15 years, where a 3-0 lead in first leg is basically a 0-0 going into the 2nd leg?
How is that a regression? It means boring teams can't get away with just 1 goal and parking the bus like Mourinho's Internazionale.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, nobody from any other country or club here was talking about already being in the next round and predicting “smash” games in the order of 3, 4-0 every damn day, not in the least City and Tottenham fans assessing the strength of their future opponents. :D

Juve was already proclaimed champions with an “easy route to the final” etc.

Should one really expect to browse a fan forum and not find arrogance, misplaced or over the top confidence and pride all over the place?

Hell, a Willem II fan already got a tattoo of the “cupwinner 2019” prior to playing Ajax...

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.omr...liezen-bekerfinale-Ik-heb-geen-greintje-spijt

And yeah he had it adapted and says he isn’t sorry he got a tattoo of the cup and date in the first place.
You're right, Ajax fans are not unique in that at all. Though having said that, as far as Spurs fans I've spoken to personally, very few expected us to go through vs City and the overwhelming majority gave Ajax the respect they deserved.

I just found it funny because there are some on here that like taking any opportunity to criticise the English/ fans of the PL teams for apparent arrogance when it is clearly a universal trait. :D

I'm obviously hoping some of that arrogance seeps down to the players but I'm sure it won't.

CognitiveNeuro

If Barca appealed against the corner goal after it happened do you think it could have been reverted? I can’t remember if they did or not after it went in but I don’t think they did.
If you mean after the goal went in, then yeah Suarez was appealing offside against Origi :lol:

Other than that, nothing was wrong with the corner. It was correctly given.

Supports
Ajax
You're right, Ajax fans are not unique in that at all. Though having said that, as far as Spurs fans I've spoken to personally, very few expected us to go through vs City and the overwhelming majority gave Ajax the respect they deserved.

I just found it funny because there are some on here that like taking any opportunity to criticise the English/ fans of the PL teams for apparent arrogance when it is clearly a universal trait. :D

I'm obviously hoping some of that arrogance seeps down to the players but I'm sure it won't.
Ajax players aren’t arrogant, they’re cocky because they know the attitude is justified by their 1337 skillz. ;)

:D

But yeah, most fans have given Ajax credit. Yet some like Squishy in particular have been proclaiming the end is nigh for Ajax at least five times I’m aware off, saying the next opponent will not just win but obliterate them, if not in the first, then the second leg. Each time finding excuses why this time is the True End of Times and why the previous proclaimed one “would have happened if not for unforeseen circumstance, opponent setbacks or other reasons why the opponent actually was being crap and it wasn’t down to Ajax even if they played good, because Ajax winning on own merit could otherwise never realistically happen”. (Worded to indicate tone and prejudiced frame of reference clinging, rather than exact phrasing).

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but Ajax fans are arrogant as feck. You lot justify this by saying "but we're simply the best and biggest club in the country", which proves the point nicely :) it's fair enough though after eliminating Juve and Real.

Who gives a feck though, the winner is always right.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
This from the first leg was far better defending than Van Dijk's against Spurs imo.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
It was hard for me to properly enjoy that because I was watching on a stream at work.*

I did slightly lose my cool when the third went in.

Unbelievable performance from the team. I thought Matip was incredible, easily better than Van Dijk and one of his best performances in a Liverpool shirt. My MOTM. Mane deserves a lot of credit for all of the running and battling he did as well.

Coutinho was dreadful. I didn't even know he was playing and it's kinda sad to see considering how much I enjoyed watching him play for us. He needs a fresh start. I thought Barca were cutting us apart at times in the first half but their heads dropped after Wijnaldum's brace. Seems like they were beaten after that.

Just a ridiculous night of football.

*Anyone in Canada use DAZN? I decided to go for the free trial to watch the CL semi's & the final and it's been good so far. They're getting the PL rights in Canada for next season as well.
I'm from Canada and use DAZN. It's quite good imo. It's dependent on your Internet connection, so as long as that is good, the quality will be fine. Typically, they leave full matches somewhere between 3 days to a week after the match has been played. What I like is that I can watch a match after it has been played without there being any spoilers as the score is not written. I watch a lot of Serie A, La Liga, and CL, so there are a lot of matches - they have the option of watching each match.

f_to_z

Do we still have a chance of Champions League qualification ?

If Liverpool wins the Champions League or Chelsea win the Europa League then 5th position in premier league will qualify...

Arsenal lose or draw last match and we win ours ?

Inter Yer Nan

If Liverpool wins the Champions League or Chelsea win the Europa League then 5th position in premier league will qualify...

No, it would just be the top 4. Extra places are only needed when a side outside of the top 4 wins a trophy.

f_to_z

No, it would just be the top 4. Extra places are only needed when a side outside of the top 4 wins a trophy.
I see, so its only if Arsenal are 5th in the league and win the Europa League then they would qualify and make it 5 from England.

Had my hopes up there for a second :rolleyes:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Spurs fans - any major injury concerns for today? Feck it - we are more worried about you now .

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool

The most asked question in football - how many teams qualify for the CL in various scenarios.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs fans - any major injury concerns for today? Feck it - we are more worried about you now .
Winks and Sánchez out. Kane obviously out... Though there are rumours he may be on the bench (doubt it).

Vertonghen is hopefully back.

Lamela and Aurier have both been injured for a while, though they've been training this week so not sure if they're gonna be in the squad or not.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Winks and Sánchez out. Kane obviously out... Though there are rumours he may be on the bench (doubt it).

Vertonghen is hopefully back.

Lamela and Aurier have both been injured for a while, though they've been training this week so not sure if they're gonna be in the squad or not.
Thanks , Kane would be back for final , if you make it?

Treble

To think that Liverpool almost didn't get out of their group.
Same with Spurs.

I want Spurs to progress as I think they can play against Liverpool. They could have beaten them at Anfield 5 weeks ago.

Ajax are terrific but their high-pressing style might play in Liverpool's hands.

Oyibo

So who has the best chance of beating Liverpool in the Final :

Ajax or Tottenham ?:confused:

veteranMortal

Supports
Liverpool
So who has the best chance of beating Liverpool in the Final :

Ajax or Tottenham ?:confused:
I've always felt that whoever goes through is the better team in Europe. They might be worse overall - us last season against City, or Spurs this season against City being the most prominent examples, but they are better suited to continuing in the Champion's League.

At this level, with teams of this calibre, a single game/two legged tie? An awful lot of it is mentality.

SATA

Hope Spurs somehow gets through to the final. Sorry Ajax i would love for you to win the thing but i think Spurs are better equipped to deal with the scouse now that they are in the final, plus Kane will be back by then as well. So come on Spurs

Bole Top

I believe Spurs will do it and will cheer for them. I have nothing against Ajax, just want to see Pochettino's good work awarded.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I've always felt that whoever goes through is the better team in Europe. They might be worse overall - us last season against City, or Spurs this season against City being the most prominent examples, but they are better suited to continuing in the Champion's League.

At this level, with teams of this calibre, a single game/two legged tie? An awful lot of it is mentality.
It's not. It's quality and form on the day which partly comes down to luck.

AshRK

Spurs v. Liverpool would be funny. The battle of Bottlers in finals, would be interesting if anything.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool
Not underestimating ajax, I'd really prefer facing them over spurs. we've already played spurs twice this season, won both (thanks to Lloris), don't really want to play them once more.

Ajax have a better team overall and they can cause us problems, but I'd take them over an English team every day of the week.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This from the first leg was far better defending than Van Dijk's against Spurs imo.

Said it in the TAA thread but Robertson was bloody magnificent defensively over the two legs. Acted stupidly with the Messi shove but aside from that he showed that it's not a weakness at all. It's great to see us have a world class player again! (Scotland).

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Are tweets not showing at the moment? I posted the line ups but can’t see the Tweets.