Champions League Semi Finals (30th April - 8th May)

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
Same shite, different years. There were doomsdayers here last year saying the same for the Madrid game, that their legs were gone and Liverpool’s press would trample over them in a comfortable victory. Truth be told, bar a frenetic opening ten minutes, Liverpool rarely saw the ball. Modric ran the show and Madrid’s use of the ball rendered Liverpool’s press mute...

...I was confident last May that Madrid’s quality would overcome any bum-rush tactic Klopp would conjure up and I have the same confidence Barcelona will do the same. If they can stop Liverpool scoring at the Nou Camp (easier said than done, mind, but not outside the realms of possibility considering we do it to Liverpool at Old Trafford routinely), they’ll qualify as I can’t see Liverpool keeping a clean sheet at Anfield if they need to score in the home leg. Barcelona will exploit the gaps they leave expertly. This is a side who think nothing of going to red-hot atmospheres like the Bernabeu and Atletico’s new place and dominating games with plenty of goals scored to boot, and people here are worried about the ‘Anfield factor’? Give me strength.
IMO Madrid were rubbish in that final bar Bales overhead kick. Karius gifting two goals and Salah being taken out early by Ramos ended that game as a contest. Take Messi out and watch Barca crumble (net advocating that as a tactic, pointing out rhe effect of losing your star man). Ronaldo marked out of that game as well, did absolutly nothing.

I think this Barca side are soft and ripe for the taking. They are not used to being pressed, and the defence and midfield is nowhere near peak Guardiola. You managed to get at them and were let down by poor finishing, and you're not even a pressing team.

Anything is possible when you have Messi, but I think Barca will suffer against pressing teams in general, and we are one of the best at that.

RedSuko

Supports
Barcelona
Now do the "that doesnt tell the whole story" thing with your team - how often you didn't look great and still won games this season
Look no farther behind, their match yesterday against Porto is a vivid example of this. Quite funny a Pool fan would USE the "doesn't tell the whole story" narrative given the numerous luck they've had this season.

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
That Son is one hell of a player. Glad he's suspended for the first game :)

This Tottenham team can't be underestimated. Really enjoyed yesterday match.

I think it will be a close game and could go either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Regarding the Barcelona vs Liverpool semi final, feel free to jump on the Blaugrana bandwagon. Even you too @Cal? ;)

Ixion

Hopefully Barca v Ajax in the final, I think that's what it will be too. Would be great to see Ajax win it.

Vadim

Barca are the favourites. Their football will hamper Liverpool for sure.
Where did you get this from? Barca looked average to me in both legs against us and rely on the magician.

Liverpool have power and pace everywhere up-front and a damn good defence and GK.

Some serious underrating of Liverpool in here.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Now do the "that doesnt tell the whole story" thing with your team - how often you didn't look great and still won games this season
Where did I ever argue otherwise? Both teams have done it, hence, it will be a close affair like I called from the beginning.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The 2nd leg being at Anfield is an advantage for Liverpool. Reckon Barcelona need a 2 goal lead after the 1st leg preferably with no away goals conceded.

Schneckerl

Where did I ever argue otherwise? Both teams have done it, hence, it will be a close affair like I called from the beginning.
Sorry, I agree with that. I've seen some posts declaring how Liverpool will progress comfortably which is too much.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Sorry, I agree with that. I've seen some posts declaring how Liverpool will progress comfortably which is too much.
Wouldn't mind them to be true but I can't see it unfortunately, Barcelona is too good to be ripped to pieces and we hardly do that anymore, even to far lesser teams.

Ixion

Suarez is bound to score at Anfield. If Barca restrict Liverpool to only getting 1 goal at the Nou Camp I would fancy them in the second leg.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Unlike us, Pool will rip apart Barca's crap defence. Barca's only hope is Messi pulling something out of his arse but I think he will be pocketed by VVD and their workhorse midfield.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Ajax vs Liverpool final I reckon.

Spurs injuries will catch up with them and Liverpool (if they can deal with Messi) have more than enough with that front 3 to open up Barca if they go at them.

Obviously pulling for Ajax to win the whole thing.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Where did you get this from? Barca looked average to me in both legs against us and rely on the magician.

Liverpool have power and pace everywhere up-front and a damn good defence and GK.

Some serious underrating of Liverpool in here.
:lol: It's the other way round. Some act as if Liverpool are some all conquering force like United were under SAF. They are not an elite footballing team, they are just efficient with long balls to their forwards to get goals and the defence to keep a clean sheet.

When a team can play on the ground they give Liverpool trouble, because their midfield is way below par. Napoli, PSG and City did it, and that is nothing compared to what Barca can do at the Camp Nou.

The big thing going for Liverpool is that they are in good form, Barca have much better players overall but have been hit and miss.

Havak

Pokemon master
It would be poetic justice is Ajax beat Liverpool in the final.

Klopp: "We were playing Sevilla, they were playing Ajax."

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

That'll certainly get thrown back in his face if it happens.

Hoof the ball

"Barca won't be able to handle Liverpool's pressing"

Barca are the team most likeliest to handle Liverpool's intense pressing. It's in their DNA. In fact, not only is Sergi Roberto, Pique, Lenglet, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, Arthur, Messi, etc, the best press-resistant side in the world, but they've got the best ball-playing goal-keeper in the world, bar none. Even if Liverpool press high vs. Barca, Ter Stegen can pick out a diagonal ball to the half-way line with absolute ease. It's just naive to speculate that Barca won't be able to handle them.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
"Barca won't be able to handle Liverpool's pressing"

Barca are the team most likeliest to handle Liverpool's intense pressing. It's in their DNA. In fact, not only is Sergi Roberto, Pique, Lenglet, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, Arthur, Messi, etc, the best press-resistant side in the world, but they've got the best ball-playing goal-keeper in the world, bar none. Even if Liverpool press high vs. Barca, Ter Stegen can pick out a diagonal ball to the half-way line with absolute ease. It's just naive to speculate that Barca won't be able to handle them.
Liverpool will not press against Barcelona at the Camp Nou, they will park the bus and hope just like that have done at every good team in the CL away from home.

izec

Ajax vs Liverpool final for me.

Both close, but i think Liverpool at home second leg will give them the edge. Spurs missing key players first game at home is also worrying for them. Ajax should look to win away and have a comfortable second game, they have the quality

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool will not press against Barcelona at the Camp Nou, they will park the bus and hope just like that have done at every good team in the CL away from home.
Yes that's exactly what we did in Bayern.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thanks. I can see Ajax getting an away goal or two in London.
Yep, I can see a score draw in London for sure. The question then becomes I guess (if that does happen), with Son back and hopefully a few central midfielders, can we win/get a higher score draw in Amsterdam? I really hope so....

LewisWins

Supports
Derby
Same shite, different years. There were doomsdayers here last year saying the same for the Madrid game, that their legs were gone and Liverpool’s press would trample over them in a comfortable victory. Truth be told, bar a frenetic opening ten minutes, Liverpool rarely saw the ball. Modric ran the show and Madrid’s use of the ball rendered Liverpool’s press mute. Barcelona’s midfield (and team in general) are even better at keeping the ball and ensure you chase shadows.

Can Wijnaldum, Milner and Henderson really compete with Busquets, Rakitic and Arthur? Can that Liverpool defence curtail Messi, Suarez and Dembele? (Don’t worry about Coutinho, he won’t start - even if I agree with your assertion that he’d be prone to stage fright v his own club, Suarez less so given his mental resilience and don’t-give-a-feck attitude on the field.)

Of course Liverpool have the potential to shred Barcelona in the transitions if Barcelona cough the ball up in dangerous areas but Valverde and his players will know that’s Liverpool only major forte. They’ll be well wise to this and will suitably prepare. How do you prepare for Messi if you are Liverpool, however? Double-team him? He’ll just find the player in the better position. Go 1v1 and hope Robertson is up to the task? Robertson has been very shaky defensively this season and it would be a huge gamble by Klopp. Have no plan for Messi and trust your system? Pah! Messi will run amok in the freedom he’s afforded.

I was confident last May that Madrid’s quality would overcome any bum-rush tactic Klopp would conjure up and I have the same confidence Barcelona will do the same. If they can stop Liverpool scoring at the Nou Camp (easier said than done, mind, but not outside the realms of possibility considering we do it to Liverpool at Old Trafford routinely), they’ll qualify as I can’t see Liverpool keeping a clean sheet at Anfield if they need to score in the home leg. Barcelona will exploit the gaps they leave expertly. This is a side who think nothing of going to red-hot atmospheres like the Bernabeu and Atletico’s new place and dominating games with plenty of goals scored to boot, and people here are worried about the ‘Anfield factor’? Give me strength.
You are giving us an idealistc vision of Barcelona painting them as an infallible team guaranteed of winning no matter what, well many points suggest they are not:

This year in all 50 games played, they conceded 43 goals, with 12 draws and 4 losses , very good stats but hardly an unbeatable winning machine as painted by you, they lost 4 times ( to the likes of betis with a full strenght barcelona team) and drew a big chunk of games ( all competitions included) as well.

In the champions league group stage they drew at home againt Tottenam, you can argue that it was the last game and they had nothing to play for but still they leaked three goals over two games against them scoring 5.

In the knockout stage they were far from convincing in both away games againt Lyon and united , drawing nil nil against the former and winning against united with a deflected own goal , United gave them more than a good game, the fans were left feeling they ve could won the first tie.

We all want a Barcelona win but the tie wont be as easy as we may think , I say it is 55/45 for them.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
:lol::lol::lol: Bayern. They aren't a good team anymore, need a massive rebuild. Bayern are bad enough that I'd fancy us against them.
You just called us "not an elite football side", a team likely to get around 95 points in the league and is in the CL semis for the second time in a row. You're calling Bayern a bad side even though they're still top of the Bundesliga. And worst of all, you think United would stand a chance against them.

Okay then.

Roffa

Supports
Feyenoord
Barca never really has problems with English teams, so I feel like a final between Barca and Ajax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool are 100% getting into the final. The first leg showed how ropy Barca are and we fecking handed them at least two of their goals in the second leg. They'll be found out against Liverpool.

Man, this fecking season...
I couldn't believe how you let Barca win. I had you down to score the two goals with their leaky and largely unprotected defence and go through but then De Gea did that. If Utd could play that tie again I would still give Utd the slight edge to go through.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You just called us "not an elite football side", a team likely to get around 95 points in the league and is in the CL semis for the second time in a row. You're calling Bayern a bad side even though they're still top of the Bundesliga. And worst of all, you think United would stand a chance against them.

Okay then.
Bundesliga is a joke of a league now, German teams have been shown up over and over. And no, points totals do not make you an elite team, there's a multitude of factors. The way in which you get the points, quality of your players and trophies won to name a few.

Liverpool will have to upgrade their midfield and win a few trophies to be considered elite. They are close to doing that this season, but there is a clamour to call any team doing well at the moment as some unstoppable force.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Bundesliga is a joke of a league now, German teams have been shown up over and over. And no, points totals do not make you an elite team, there's a multitude of factors. The way in which you get the points, quality of your players and trophies won to name a few.

Liverpool will have to upgrade their midfield and win a few trophies to be considered elite. They are close to doing that this season, but there is a clamour to call any team doing well at the moment as some unstoppable force.
By your definition, there are literally no elite teams in the world this season. I just disagree with your definition as I'd say there are always 10 or so elite teams.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
By your definition, there are literally no elite teams in the world this season. I just disagree with your definition as I'd say there are always 10 or so elite teams.
Barcelona are obviously an elite team by my definition. They are filled to the brim with technically good players, that dominate games regularly and they have Messi. They won the double last season and many of these players have won trophies galore.

If you were to make a combined 11 between the two teams, Liverpool would only get 2 players confidently (Van Dijk and Mane). Ter Stegen, Alba, Pique, Busquets, Rakitic, Messi, Suarez all won the treble in 2015 and are still doing the business right now, they would all walk into your team. Coutinho is warming the bench ffs, your 1st team player is a bench warmer for them.

Roffa

Supports
Feyenoord

Yeh you are so right about the German competition. All the promising players with a German nationality will get picked up by Bayern munich anyway. Its just a joke that dortmund got slaughtered at the Alleanz arena earlier.

And also if indeed Liverpool makes their midfield stronger, they will be unstoppable for the coming years.

Roffa

Supports
Feyenoord
Barcelona are obviously an elite team by my definition. They are filled to the brim with technically good players, that dominate games regularly and they have Messi. They won the double last season and many of these players have won trophies galore.

If you were to make a combined 11 between the two teams, Liverpool would only get 2 players confidently (Van Dijk and Mane). Ter Stegen, Alba, Pique, Busquets, Rakitic, Messi, Suarez all won the treble in 2015 and are still doing the business right now, they would all walk into your team. Coutinho is warming the bench ffs, your 1st team player is a bench warmer for them.
I think Liverpool has a better team than Barca, only difference is Messi. Without Messi it will become the Real Madrid of this season.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool

I think most people would agree that this Ajax team is much better than the one from 2016.

haram

Liverpool are going to knock Barcelona out. Getting myself ready for it.