Champions league vs Premier League success. Which One Would You Prefer? | Poll added

PL or CL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

podurban2

Got to be the best in your own country.

There is no luck about winning the league, the best team will win it. In the CL, however, there are so many factors once you enter the knock out stage: referees, form, injuries, mistakes, epic once in a lifetime goals from oppos etc.
Honestly I don’t buy into this logic. If it was true then the FedEx Cup would be more prestigious than winning the Masters or the British Open. Or the ATP over Wimbledon or such. From my experiences, most people see the CL as the greatest achievement in football, not the PL.

edgar allan

Leagues always trump a cup competition.
Strange things happen in cup competitions even the CL. Greece winning the Euros, Liverpool's last CL win when they were a joke of a team.
When Chelsea won the luck was hanging out of them also, were they the best team in Europe that year??

Of course I would love us to win both, but if it is a choice, certainly at the moment it is the PL. Maybe if we get back to winning ways in the PL then the priority to add another CL Title would become the greater prize.

ijc

At this moment in time, it's definitely the Premier League. We need to re-assert our dominance in England once more.

After that, the CL. It's the same as we were under Fergie during the 2006-2010 period when we lost two finals to Barcelona. We were so dominant in England that I really wanted us to win a CL or two but Barcelona happened to be at their peak at that time.

red_devil83

Champions League because the winners are the best team on the planet. Plus we should have more than 3. And also if we win CL it would overshadow Citeh's likely PL win

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
CL feels somewhat hollow if you've not been doing the business domestically.
Honest question: do United fans just say this because you've never won the CL without the PL?

Real Madrid since 1998 and AC Milan under Berlusconi did not give two flying fecks about whether or not they won the league. They still brag about the fact that they've won so many CL titles.

We (Barca) are like United in the sense that we've always won La Liga whenever we've won the CL.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Champions League because the winners are the best team on the planet. Plus we should have more than 3. And also if we win CL it would overshadow Citeh's likely PL win
There's no logic in that though. Do you really believe that Chelsea team were the best on the planet? Or Liverpool in 05?

Plenty of teams have won the CL in recent years without also winning their domestic leagues. I'd say the best team on the planet is the one who can win both, like Real last year, or Bayern in 2013.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
If the CL was really just the Champions of each country/league, playing for top spot, then there would be nothing to touch it in terms of prestige. However since it went to its current format, even with the group stage leg, preceding the knockout stage, its still really just a cup competition for the leading teams in Europe.
Winning the PL is still the pinnacle for me, especially when we then go on to win the CL.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
This season the league because it's been a while but overall I'd prefer the CL. It's the ultimate club title IMO.

Manny

Grammar Police
Honest question: do United fans just say this because you've never won the CL without the PL?

Real Madrid since 1998 and AC Milan under Berlusconi did not give two flying fecks about whether or not they won the league. They still brag about the fact that they've won so many CL titles.

We (Barca) are like United in the sense that we've always won La Liga whenever we've won the CL.
Its still a fantastic achievement to win it without the league. And actually, when AC Milan won it in 03, I still considered them the best team in Italy despite falling short in the league (perhaps because they beat Juve in the final).

But a double just means so much more as you have had to fight on all fronts each week, leaving far fewer question marks hanging over your head. No one can say Liverpool and Chelsea were the best sides in Europe when they won it in 05 and 12 whilst finishing 5th and 6th in the league.

And with regards to the poll, I think in United's current situation, a PL would be a better platform to try and build sustained success rather than a cup competition.

CamsUnited

Premier League every single time. League title over a cup win is a no brainer for me.
CL is still a cup competition where if you get a bit of luck you can win it, doesn't necessarily mean you're the best team in Europe.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Its still a fantastic achievement to win it without the league. And actually, when AC Milan won it in 03, I still considered them the best team in Italy despite falling short in the league (perhaps because they beat Juve in the final).

But a double just means so much more as you have had to fight on all fronts each week, leaving far fewer question marks hanging over your head. No one can say Liverpool and Chelsea were the best sides in Europe when they won it in 05 and 12 whilst finishing 5th and 6th in the league.

And with regards to the poll, I think in United's current situation, a PL would be a better platform to try and build sustained success rather than a cup competition.
Inter won the treble in 2010. Were they the best team in the world that season? If Roma hadn't fecked it up at home against Sampdoria they would have even finished behind them.

The Champions League is not about being the best in Europe, it's about being the champions of Europe. I can tell you Liverpool or Chelsea couldn't care less that they weren't the best team when they won it because last year I couldn't care less that we weren't the best team in Europe when we won the Euros.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Premier League every single time. League title over a cup win is a no brainer for me.
CL is still a cup competition where if you get a bit of luck you can win it, doesn't necessarily mean you're the best team in Europe.
Would you prefer winning your sunday league or the World Cup?

Manny

Grammar Police
Inter won the treble in 2010. Were they the best team in the world that season? If Roma hadn't fecked it up at home against Sampdoria they would have even finished behind them.

The Champions League is not about being the best in Europe, it's about being the champions of Europe. I can tell you Liverpool or Chelsea couldn't care less that they weren't the best team when they won it because last year I couldn't care less that we weren't the best team in Europe when we won the Euros.
You seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing, ignoring the rest of post. On Inter, the league is 38 games and Inter finished top. No ifs, not buts, Inter were top at the end of season, not Roma.

And winning the CL is exactly that, winning the CL. But winning the double is a greater accomplishment, period. I'm sure both Chelsea and Liverpool were happy to have won the CL, its a fantastic achievement, but they'll go down as CL winners rather that a great side.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
You seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing, ignoring the rest of post. On Inter, the league is 38 games and Inter finished top. No ifs, not buts, Inter were top at the end of season, not Roma.

And winning the CL is exactly that, winning the CL. But winning the double is a greater accomplishment, period. I'm sure both Chelsea and Liverpool were happy to have won the CL, its a fantastic achievement, but they'll go down as CL winners rather that a great side.
Of course winning the double is a greater achievement than winning just the Champions League. But if you told me a team would win one league and one CL in a two years period I wouldn't care if it was done in the same year or not.

My point about Inter was that winning both the league and Champions League doesn't make you the best team in Europe either.

red_devil83

There's no logic in that though. Do you really believe that Chelsea team were the best on the planet? Or Liverpool in 05?

Plenty of teams have won the CL in recent years without also winning their domestic leagues. I'd say the best team on the planet is the one who can win both, like Real last year, or Bayern in 2013.
Doesn't matter what anyone believes. It's who's got the trophy that counts.

Manny

Grammar Police
Of course winning the double is a greater achievement than winning just the Champions League. But if you told me a team would win one league and one CL in a two years period I wouldn't care if it was done in the same year or not.

My point about Inter was that winning both the league and Champions League doesn't make you the best team in Europe either.
It makes you far closer to the best team in Europe than winning the CL without the league.

CamsUnited

Would you prefer winning your sunday league or the World Cup?
What a daft comparison that is...
I would prefer to win my Sunday league over my Sunday cup!
There is no World league but if there was I'd prefer to win that over the World Cup!

Schneckerl

Premier league. Just ask yourself, was it worse losing the title to city in 11/12, or was it worse losing the CL final to Barcelona in 10/11?
Your example shows it's the CL easily.

Barca was the huge favorite and the game wasn't close. That's why you don't feel all that bad about losing.
If Utd actually would have won the final against that Barca team it would be talked about every single day for the rest of the CAF's history.

A league competition is less prone to luck/form and more likely proves which the 'better' team is, but winning the CL is more prestigues and a greater success.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
What a daft comparison that is...
I would prefer to win my Sunday league over my Sunday cup!
There is no World league but if there was I'd prefer to win that over the World Cup!
But the Premier League isn't a league for all european clubs.

My point is that how prestigious a competition is matters, not just how fair it is. The World Cup is about as unfair of a competition as it gets even more so than the Champions League and yet it's the ultimate competition in football that every player aspires to win above all others.

SirAF

Ageist
Honestly I don’t buy into this logic. If it was true then the FedEx Cup would be more prestigious than winning the Masters or the British Open. Or the ATP over Wimbledon or such. From my experiences, most people see the CL as the greatest achievement in football, not the PL.
I agree that th CL is a greater achievement, but I still maintain that the PL is more important -it’s our bread and butter.

Emrethis

Your example shows it's the CL easily.

Barca was the huge favorite and the game wasn't close. That's why you don't feel all that bad about losing.
If Utd actually would have won the final against that Barca team it would be talked about every single day for the rest of the CAF's history.

A league competition is less prone to luck/form and more likely proves which the 'better' team is, but winning the CL is more prestigues and a greater success.
CL for you. PL for me. It's all good. Matter of opinion. Glad my example could help you out.