Champions league vs Premier League success. Which One Would You Prefer? | Poll added

PL or CL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baby Groot

CL, even Leicester can win the PL :wenger:

Winning the CL at the moment would be massive, winning the PL is great too and I hope united do, but imagine United beating Real in the CL final this year..:eek:
Nottingham Forrest has two CL win. :wenger:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Two of Real's last three CL wins have been achieved without winning La Liga. Do they or anyone else care?
Yes. Well not really but winning the champions whilst being second best in the league does not make you Europe's best IMO. Over a 38 game league season you can your second best and inferior to someone else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Could not give less of a toss about “impact throughout the world”.
Sadly a lot of people do. I agree with you thought. Winning the champions league is shallower when you've proven to be 2nd/3rd best or worse over 38 games and 10 months.

Needham

Prem. Shut City down and hurt Guardiola while highlighting the failure of his Qatari hypocrisy. Also, winning the CL would obviously be down to Jose tacticking it to the final rather than us being the best side, which we are millions of light years off being. At least with the Premier League, we could make a better argument (helped by a City drop in form and beating them twice).

deafepl

Manchester United have dominated EPL for a long time and have won more trophies than all 19 top club combined. I think it is our turn to dominate the champions league which we are supposed to do it as United side 2007/8 was the greatest side ever Manchester United had and dominated the Champions League, reached final three times in just 4 years and could've progressed to the semi-final in 2009/10 if they were more careful. At United, ageing is a problem that is also beginning to take its toll. Paul Scholes is gone, Ryan Giggs is no longer capable of leaving his mark in the toughest games, while Rio Ferdinand is a shadow of his former self, if Sir Alex decided to overhaul the United's squad and rebuild new squad for the future, after defeated by Barcelona and were outplayed. we would be stronger than before ever and will easily challenge Barcelona in 2011 and continue domination in Europe

Champions League is more valuable to Manchester United, as well as other EPL's top 4 clubs because they all know if they can dominate the champions league, they'd attract many fans, they'd get more money in TV international rights and commercial sales. Atletico Madrid have doubled their revenue and attracted more fans, they had 1m likes on Facebook 4 years ago, less popular than Tottenham 4m, now they have almost 14m likes, which is more 5 million likes than Tottenham. I think we should target champions league and intends to show the world we are the best club...

Reactions: Invictus

ti vu

Prem. Shut City down and hurt Guardiola while highlighting the failure of his Qatari hypocrisy. Also, winning the CL would obviously be down to Jose tacticking it to the final rather than us being the best side, which we are millions of light years off being. At least with the Premier League, we could make a better argument (helped by a City drop in form and beating them twice).
But if City picked the CL option though, Qatari would rub it in everyone's face. As other already pointed out, while luck can help winning CL, it does not happen that much, and there are plenty of Cinderellas to co Pete for this luck. Overall, winning the league is still easier in a long run, as you have more control. Flat track bullying inferior teams while getting result from teams in same bracket of quality, would be sufficient to put you in challenging position. For one team who get lucky in CL at one time, many teams keep getting tough luck year after year.

Bestietom

I would go for the Premier League this season. It is a tough question but I think this season the Premiership is what I would like to win.

Treble

Imagine that the other trophy is going to be won by a rival (Liverpool/City). Would this change your vote?

Think Liverpool are desperate to with the PL and City the CL.

jackofalltrades

This season the CL to close the gap on Liverpool & make them sweat - come back when you've got 5 etc. Next season PL.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
Winning the CL makes you the best club in the world. Winning the PL makes you the best club in England. Seems like an easy decision to me.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
Imagine that the other trophy is going to be won by a rival (Liverpool/City). Would this change your vote?

Think Liverpool are desperate to with the PL and City the CL.
Not that I would ever want them to win anything, but it would be relatively funny if they finally won the league and were then immediately overshadowed by us winning the CL.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
By that logic Liverpool are the greatest English team.
First of all I said the CL, not the European cup. They are different beasts. Second of all, when they were winning, they were one of the best teams in the world. But be pedantic about it, if it makes you feel your point is more valid.

edgar allan

First of all I said the CL, not the European cup. They are different beasts. Second of all, when they were winning, they were one of the best teams in the world. But be pedantic about it, if it makes you feel your point is more valid.
If I wanted to be pedantic I would have pointed out that winning the CL makes you the best team in Europe and not the world, but I don't so I won't.

juggernaut1986

The prestige of winning the CL surpasses any other trophy. I bet most fans remember our CL matches from 1999 and 2008. Take the Barca match from 2008 for example. It is treated as one of our most memorable matches in the last 10, maybe 20 years. The match was special because of the stage and the tournament not because it was a great game of Football. A few weeks before the match we had another tense and crucial match against Arsenal in the League (Hargreaves scored the winner). It was a classic too but not the same as the Barca match. CL wins are magical and their memories tend to last for generations.

ZAGREB RED

CL over the PL. It's one to be cherished a bit more, very special, being the best team in Europe is more prestigious than winning the domestic title. Obviously, both in the same season is truly magical.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Surprised so many people said the CL to be honest. We haven’t won the league in ages and that used to be the clubs bread and butter. To people saying we are 2 CL’s down on Liverpool, the PL is harder to win. Well maybe not the last few years because of how good Barca, Real and Bayern are but you have to be on form for most of the 38 games in the PL to win it. The CL you have to be on form for 9 or 10.

podurban2

Surprised so many people said the CL to be honest. We haven’t won the league in ages and that used to be the clubs bread and butter. To people saying we are 2 CL’s down on Liverpool, the PL is harder to win. Well maybe not the last few years because of how good Barca, Real and Bayern are but you have to be on form for most of the 38 games in the PL to win it. The CL you have to be on form for 9 or 10.
For most players and managers winning the CL is where it’s at. Why would it be strange for fans to think the same? For the general public (neutrals etc) the CL is far more prestigious than winning the League. A CL win would do wonders for United’s commercial value and enable the club to cherry pick any player in Europe. Times have changed.

Manny

Grammar Police
PL.

CL feels somewhat hollow if you've not been doing the business domestically.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
For most players and managers winning the CL is where it’s at. Why would it be strange for fans to think the same? For the general public (neutrals etc) the CL is far more prestigious than winning the League. A CL win would do wonders for United’s commercial value and enable the club to cherry pick any player in Europe. Times have changed.
Well not for most fans but for United I think it is. Not to sound arrogant but the PL belongs to us, we have won it more than all the others combined. It has been a long time since we have won it, and we need it back.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
PL.

CL feels somewhat hollow if you've not been doing the business domestically.
Why would winning the Champions League without winning the league take anything away from it? Would Inter's CL title be less impressive hadn't Roma fecked it up against Sampdoria in 2010? It's a good achievement to to both in a year but it certainly doesn't make winning the CL hollow if you don't win the league along with it. The Champions League is the biggest and most prestigious trophy in club football by far.

Old Ma Crow

Winning the PL over the likes of City and Liverpool would be sweet. But for me, winning the CL knowing how much City want to win it, as well as closing the gap on Liverpool's "5", would be so much sweeter.

Reactions: Theonas

podurban2

Well not for most fans but for United I think it is. Not to sound arrogant but the PL belongs to us, we have won it more than all the others combined. It has been a long time since we have won it, and we need it back.
I know it is, it’s just that these days winning the CL is how you create a brand. If United won the it we would be able to get world class players from all over Europe and from there go on to win the league. That’s at least how I view it. Winning the PL won’t get us the best players from Europe. Just look at PSG, winning Ligue 1 means feck all.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This proofing yourself over 38 games is harder than cl is abit baffling.

If you're a good team winning the league is easier than winning cl.

You have 38 games and it allows rooms for off days, and quality of the squad / depth will reflect better over 38 games compared to cl knockout where all you need is one big decision going against you, having your off days, injury or suspension ruining that one game anda you're out.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I know it is, it’s just that these days winning the CL is how you create a brand. If United won the it we would be able to get world class players from all over Europe and from there go on to win the league. That’s at least how I view it. Winning the PL won’t get us the best players from Europe. Just look at PSG, winning Ligue 1 means feck all.
So we couldn’t get the best players? If we offered enough money we could sign anyone. We aren’t Liverpool who would need to win the CL to promote their brand more. We have the biggest brand in world football.

podurban2

So we couldn’t get the best players? If we offered enough money we could sign anyone. We aren’t Liverpool who would need to win the CL to promote their brand more. We have the biggest brand in world football.
I don’t see us getting the best players, nor players desperate to join us. When was the most recent one bar Pogba?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I don’t see us getting the best players, nor players desperate to join us. When was the most recent one bar Pogba?
When was the last time we bought a top ten player in the world? We have never done that even when we won the CL in 99 and 08. Bar Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo and players who are contracted to go to new clubs such as Mbappe and Keita, we could probably buy anyone. We would have got Griezmann if it wasn’t for the Athletico transfer ban.

podurban2

When was the last time we bought a top ten player in the world? We have never done that even when we won the CL in 99 and 08. Bar Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo and players who are contracted to go to new clubs such as Mbappe and Keita, we could probably buy anyone. We would have got Griezmann if it wasn’t for the Athletico transfer ban.
As I said, “these days,” not ‘99 or ‘08, the CL is what players seem to value the most. Recently we have been overlooked by the top players from my experience.

Theonas

Scout
Why would winning the Champions League without winning the league take anything away from it? Would Inter's CL title be less impressive hadn't Roma fecked it up against Sampdoria in 2010? It's a good achievement to to both in a year but it certainly doesn't make winning the CL hollow if you don't win the league along with it. The Champions League is the biggest and most prestigious trophy in club football by far.
I don't think it makes hollow personally but I don't think you can be considered the best in Europe if you don't. I think however that this is different from country to country. Milan under Berlusconi for example certainly disagreed and so did/do Real to a lesser extent. English football I think is a bit more insular in that respect, it is more tribal which is great fun and it also means there is more prestige placed on winning the domestic league. I think this has been even more the case lately with Juventus, PSG and Bayern dominating their leagues and the PL having 6 clubs that can theoretically compete for it. For me personally, there is something very sweet about winning the league over Liverpool and City. However, our CL record is really poor for a club our size and I feel we desperately need a couple more to make it more respectable so for the time being, I'd probably take the CL.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
We’re already sitting on the Premier League perch. We need to focus on knocking Liverpool off their European perch.

Manny

Grammar Police
I said 'somewhat hollow'.

Winning the CL is great but its hard to call yourselves the best team in Europe when another team finishes above you in the league. Look at Chelsea a few seasons back. Weak sides can win cup competitions if they switch their focus to it.

And then considering the situation United are in, a PL is a better foundation to build future success on than a cup competition. It shows your players have shown up week in and week out over the course of a season, and not just for CL games.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ultimately has to be CL, it's no brainer. But right now, we should aim for Premier league success first.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I was too young to enjoy 99' but after numerous Premier League wins, I haven't had much more joy in football than after that night in Moscow. My best football memory was that Champions League win.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I was too young to enjoy 99' but after numerous Premier League wins, I haven't had much more joy in football than after that night in Moscow. My best football memory was that Champions League win.
Wouldn't have felt the same without the corresponding league title. And also, feck Portsmouth.