g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Champions league vs Premier League success. Which One Would You Prefer? | Poll added

PL or CL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'd say a PL win with no CL is better than the reverse. You have to question the credentials of a CL winning team who were nowhere in their domestic league (fine achievement though it is).

The answer of course is to win both in the same season :devil::devil:

RobinHood

Right now? Premier League. Over the course of 38 gruelling games still the best indicator as to where the club is at.

Obviously the Champions League has more prestige attached to it and over the coming years I'd love for us to overhaul Liverpool's tally. But as some posters have hinted here not every winner of the Champions League is necessarily the best team in Europe.

Of course the aim is to be competitive in both in the near future and I hope when next we win the Champions League we'll be deserving winners (To be fair I guess this term is a misnomer as any team that wins should be counted as being deserving... :rolleyes:)

Adebesi

The thing about the CL is you get the CL Final, so there is a sense of occasion, a game, often against very glamorous opposition, that you can plan for and get excited about. Obviously when you mathematically win the league, be that on the last day of the season or before, you still get the joy but its far more of a slow burner, the odds of you winning it go up and down for weeks as you get closer to the end, by the time you actually win it has often been well signposted for quite some time, so that on the last day of the season you know you need a draw at home to ensure you win, or you might win anyway even if you lose depending on what someone else does, or something like that. I think that means there is less of a sense of occasion around winning the league. Its just one game, one evening, but those CL finals (even the ones we lost) were magical and for me are why I might sometimes consider voting for the CL.

But the PL is a bigger achievement, given the number of games. There is less luck involved.

Schneckerl

winning CL is harder and more prestigious
in addition utd is #1 with league titles among English clubs, not EC/CL though...

A lot of teams which are now remembered among the greatest ever bombed the league although won the EC/CL

can't think of a reverse scenario

how many league titles did real win in the seasons they won the EC/CL? it's a shocking low number - nobody cares years later

Last edited:

Redlyn

CL for me. I feel PL is easier to win (don't ask Liverpool though) and we just need to keep recruiting right for it to come together. We are already looking closer this season.

Funny thing is I think I'd be more excited overall with a PL win but I think CL just elevates the club more and it's such rare trophy for us so I'd take that.

If we go another 2 seasons maybe I'd be more desperate for the PL but for now the PL is still fresh enough for me to crave the CL more.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Either, because let's be honest we'd be lucky to get one of them, tough trophies to win. Slight preference for the league but not enough to vote one way or the other.

Redlyn

I'd say a PL win with no CL is better than the reverse. You have to question the credentials of a CL winning team who were nowhere in their domestic league (fine achievement though it is).

The answer of course is to win both in the same season :devil::devil:
We wouldn't be nowhere though. Yes "first is first and second is nowhere" but armed with a CL a respectable second is no shame for where we are coming from. It wouldn't devalue our CL win one bit imo.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I don't think all this stuff about proving you're the best over 38 games vs. fluky cup win really matters in the long run. In 20 years time nobody will care about that, but we'll have another CL in the cabinet.

Dion

I've seen this team win 13 league titles, only 2 European Cups. It's not even close, give me another CL win please.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We wouldn't be nowhere though. Yes "first is first and second is nowhere" but armed with a CL a respectable second is no shame for where we are coming from. It wouldn't devalue our CL win one bit imo.
Agree CL and second place in your league is brilliant, and for what it's worth CL and 17th would be pretty fecking good too. But while a PL winner falling short in a cup tournament against the world's best teams (and fellow domestic champions in most cases) is entirely reasonable there's something a little off for me about a team who bests those teams but can't compete domestically.

The two examples from the PL of CL winners who didn't win the league fell well short domestically, and while I'm genuinely not trying to shit on their achievement I can't tell you the difference in prestige I see in CL+PL vs CL only. The key component for me is winning your domestic league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Premier league. The Champions league has a lot of glory attached to it and yes going by pure trophy count, that's the one we need to add to given we've only won 3 in the clubs history. But the 38 game league campaign is the first and foremost prime indicator of quality, and you have to be the best in your country first. The champions league is the next step to take thereafter.

Also I have to say that winning the CL whilst not being the best in your own country does devalue is too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Did anyone call Chelsea the best team in Europe, in 2012?
Agree. First, show that you're the best team in your league at least. A champions league whilst doing that makes you true champions of Europe (yes I know that doesn't mean anything in the 'books').

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Agree CL and second place in your league is brilliant, and for what it's worth CL and 17th would be pretty fecking good too. But while a PL winner falling short in a cup tournament against the world's best teams (and fellow domestic champions in most cases) is entirely reasonable there's something a little off for me about a team who bests those teams but can't compete domestically.
Agree with this.

I can't choose either. I like both. CL is more prestigious in a sense and I love how tense it can get. But there's a lot of competition in the PL now and I want us to prove we're back up there.

flappyjay

We call ourselves the biggest club in the world and we trail a lot of clubs in terms ucl wins . Liverpool 5, Milan 7, Barca 5, Ajax 4 Bayern 5 and Madrid 12. This is not acceptable

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
If the Champions League meant we played well against the top guns in the world, then I'd consider it this year since I have a hard time seeing how we'd do against the absolute top club that is Madrid for example.
But if we could get a good run against a such top teams without winning it, I'd be more happy with the PL victory.

Basically, I want to see us do well against the best teams out there to see how far off we are to them, doesn't mean we have to win, but I want to see us play well against them either through fast-paced counters or other ways. After that any win is a good thing in my eyes, hell i'll be happy with a cup this year despite not rating cups high at all, as long as we also get 3rd or higher in the league, i'd probably be ok with even 4th as I've already seen us progress from last year playing-wise.
But from next year on, I'll "need" to see us challenge for the league if it doesn't happen this year.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
We've never won the Champions League without winning the league as well, so I don't know how this feels...

...but I reckon it'd feel a bit weird winning JUST the UCL, like something was missing - like you can't quite call yourself the best team in Europe cos you didn't win your domestic league.

Any Chelsea/Liverpool fans care to enlighten us?

Trizy

There just isn't the same romance in winning the CL while not winning your domestic league in the same season.

League should always be priority.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I do miss the PL more, to be honest. For all its prestige the CL is still a cup tournament. The League is The League.

Plus, the CL will likely be won by some foreign club that doesn't concern us. The PL will go to City, if we don't take it.

siw2007

Champions League for me. Premier League is amazing to win and maybe if we had more CL wins I would reconsider but for me the Champions League is our holy grail. I was too young to remember our success in 1999, but winning the cup in 2008 was the best night of my life as a United supporter, I think it has been the only time I have been in tears of happiness winning a match.

2cents

Scout
We've never won the Champions League without winning the league as well, so I don't know how this feels...

...but I reckon it'd feel a bit weird winning JUST the UCL, like something was missing - like you can't quite call yourself the best team in Europe cos you didn't win your domestic league.

Any Chelsea/Liverpool fans care to enlighten us?
Two of Real's last three CL wins have been achieved without winning La Liga. Do they or anyone else care?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
PL

While the UCL would be nice it'll only strengthen the case that we've become a cup side

Gasolin

We need to re-win the PL and kill the idea that we could become a Liverpool #2. So EPL for me.

Baby Groot

There just isn't the same romance in winning the CL while not winning your domestic league in the same season.

League should always be priority.
This, but I would like to ad, if you are wining a CL without winning your own league, it should be bare minimum to have won PL year before. I don't think it did liverpool world of good fluking that CL win in 2005. Not having won EFL/PL since 1990.

Something like this should club honor list read
1967 - English Football Champions
1968 - European Champions.

2cents

Scout
This, but I would like to ad, if you are wining a CL without winning your own league, it should be bare minimum to have won PL year before. I don't think it did liverpool world of good fluking that CL win in 2005. Not having won EFL/PL since 1990.

Something like this should club honor list read
1967 - English Football Champions
1968 - European Champions.
We didn't win the league in 98.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Good question actually, does make you think.

Champions League for me. Not even sure why I think and feel that, but I certainly do. (Where is the final being played btw...???)

I think it's taking place in Kiev

Minimalist

I always find it remarkable that anyone would prioritise the CL over the PL. I understand how special it is but it’s still not as important as being the best in your own league and country.

For me the CL needs to follow the PL.

Inter Yer Nan

I'd usually say the league. That's my bread and butter but I think measuring in the intangibles this season I'd probably say Champions league. Back in 2006/2007 we had a similar situation it had been 7 years without a CL and only 3 years without a league, whereas now it's 9 years without a CL and 4 without a league. I wanted the league first and the champions league was a bonus, then the next season I prioritized the CL.

Winning the Champions league might be even sweeter now because City are desperately trying to win that and if we win we've beat them to it and put the Pep messiah talk on hold and Jose moves ahead of him. Also where I live I really can't stick so many bandwagon Barca and Real fans and considering those are 3 of the favorite's plus PSG and their outrageous spending it would feel sweet to come out on top of that and stick a big fat middle finger up to everyone. Also, you just know if we won that then the League will become an obsession for Jose and the lads and we'll go on to win it the next season. Also, being at 4 and with a hungry Jose the scouse will be bricking it since the only thing they have is the 5-3 thing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It should always be the champions league really. Of course it's great to win the PL but I feel like a part of SAF always saying the PL was his main priority was because we were never outright favourites for the CL. Winning the champions league, deservedly, means you're the best team in the world. An upset to win it is another matter but it'd still be my main hope because of how rare it's been for us over the years. We should be between 7-10 titles, not 3.

iKnowNothing

CL for me. It's something you win after beating some of the best teams in Europe. You do get lucky sometime with the groups/knock-outs but there's a certain exclusivity to be competing in the CL which edges it over the league for me.

PoTMS

UCL for me. I don’t know, I find the most prestigious cup competition more rewarding than a league title even though it’s arguably easier to win due to its knockout nature. Plus the fact that I’ve watched us win the Premier League 8 times and the UCL only once makes me crave the latter more.

Emrethis

Premier league. Just ask yourself, was it worse losing the title to city in 11/12, or was it worse losing the CL final to Barcelona in 10/11?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Premier League but then I'm a Liverpool fan so the answer is obvious.

I've seen us win everything else.

Eli Zee

Champions league.. that would mean we beat teams like Real Madrid, Bayern, PSG, etc..

The league is always nice but winning the CL is better in my book

Red Star One

CL no brainer. I'd probably take Champions League over two PL titles as long as I'm guaranteed at least one of those is won by a team other than City/Liverpool :lol: