"Champions of England..."

theimperialinn

Paddy's gonna trip you up, Paddy's gonna mow you d
Nice one Billy, we pioneered English clubs into Europe, we were the first English club to win the European Cup, that is the nature of the club. The dippers go on about 5 european cups but they have NEVER won this competion in any form, it is a great opportunity for us to get 2, given the way world club football is improving, this could be a serious notch for us.
Some perspective please

Was just listening to the Guardian Weekly extra podcast and they didn't refer to the competition one bit. Just says it all for the media in this country.
Which shows how pointless competition is this is

MUFCgal

We should do, if we win it will the 2nd time we will be world champions. As Gill says, in years to come this competition could be huge. It goes down in history against your name. The dippers have never won it...
I agree. This is a chance for us to be World Champions for the 2nd time. If we do it, then in one calender year we've been English Champions, European Champions & World Champions.....that's some fecking going IMO :D

To a lot of folk (including United fans), they don't see the point of this competition and don't see why we should have to play in it. Sorry but this is our prize for winning the Champions League, if people don't like it then tough. I agree with Fergie's comments about how he wishes we'll play in the World Club Championship for the next five years....because then that means we've won several European Cups. Personally I can't wait for the match tomorrow and I hope with all my heart we'll be coming back home as World Champions. A Liverpool guy I know was winding me up one day, all that 5 times bullshit they like to ramble on about. I just replied that Liverpools achievements only include domestic and European titles whilst United's not only include domestic & European, but also World titles......he didn't have much to say after that :D

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Let's test the value of this illustrious competition.

Who here woudl care if it was scrapped? Would such plans fill you with emotion? Would you care a damn at all?

Could victory on Sunday either save a manager's job or or be hld up in osolation as a successful season?

What was it founded upon and where did the driving force behind it come from? Football politicking, ego, cash? The clubs themselves, the supporters?

How many except for the very richest supporters can make ti to support their teams in these games? Does the competition tour the world visiting each continent to give them an opportunity to do so or is it handed out to the highest bidder, where there is a large enough pot of gold and perks for the high ups?

There maybe a need for such a tournament one day in the future but that time is not upon us.

From a selfish United PoV it is to put it simply, disuptive. Whether we get a bounce from the break or not we still have to find room and balance the squad to suit a further game in hand in the new year.

theimperialinn

Paddy's gonna trip you up, Paddy's gonna mow you d
Let's test the value of this illustrious competition.

Who here woudl care if it was scrapped? Would such plans fill you with emotion? Would you care a damn at a;;?

Could victory on Sunday either save a manager's job or or be hld up in osolation as a successful season?

What was it founded upon and where did the driving force behind it come from? Football politicking, ego, cash? The clubs themselves, the supporters?

How many except for the very richest supporters can make ti to support their teams in these games? Does the competition tour the world visiting each continent to give them an opportunity to do so or is it handed out to the highest bidder, where there is a large enough pot of gold and perks for the high ups?

There maybe a need for such a tournament one day in the future but that time is not upon us.

From a selfish United PoV it is to put it simply, disuptive. Whether we get a bounce from the break or not we still have to find room and balance the squad to suit a further game in hand in the new year.
I agree 100% with you mate.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The team selection, noises coming out from some of the players, the way players celebrated the goals all point towards a glorified pre-season competition. That's the feeling I had about the game on Thursday.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The team selection, noises coming out from some of the players, the way players celebrated the goals all point towards a glorified pre-season competition. That's the feeling I had about the game on Thursday.
Let's see if the above issues are any different tomorrow. I've a funny feeling the will be. All of them.

Spoony

The People's President
It's always been an exhibition type game. And we've already one it once. Originally it was called the World Club Championship, I think it used to be two legged affair, but I can only recall a one off game in Tokyo. Remember watching LFC get beat by Independiente in 85(?), which prompted me to look out for their results, well for a couple of seasons, at least. This is just an extension of that one off game. And if we're honest the champions of SA and Europe should decide it, I don't see the point of having clubs from Oceania, Africa and Asia involved.

BahamaRed

Legend
It's always been an exhibition type game. And we've already one it once. Originally it was called the World Club Championship, I think it used to be two legged affair, but I can only recall a one off game in Tokyo. Remember watching LFC get beat by Independiente in 85(?), which prompted me to look out for their results, well for a couple of seasons, at least. This is just an extension of that one off game. And if we're honest the champions of SA and Europe should decide it, I don't see the point of having clubs from Oceania, Africa and Asia involved.
To be true World Champions then all the teams in the World need to have a chance to compete. Right now we're champions of England and Champions of Europe. Tomorrow we'll be champions of the World. Has a good ring to it.
Can't understand the xenophobic resistance from some of you. Talk about being spoiled!

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Well it didn't help that the English never actually won it until 1999. And immediately after that there was the really drawn out Club World Cup which forced us to give the FA Cup a miss. That was a joke. A lot of people can't tell the difference between that competition and the one we're playing in right now.

VP

Should the World Cup just be played by countries from South America and Europe?

And Italian. And Spanish.

In fact the only nationality who feel the need to constantly play it down are the English.

Funny that.
Yep. Didn't England avoid playing in the first 2 World Cups as well?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Can't understand the xenophobic resistance from some of you. Talk about being spoiled!
All due respect but that's a cheap and lazy response to those who have objections to the tournament.

And i'd like to see you back it up if that's possible.

Is that all that advocates for this compeititon can offer, insults?

And Italian. And Spanish.

In fact the only nationality who feel the need to constantly play it down are the English.

Funny that.
Oh how we all remember that national inquest in the Spanish media when Barcelona didn't win, it dminated everything didn't it?

An underlying dislike of England coming through there? Do you suppose that Welsh and Scottish based supporters of this club hold it in some supremely high regard by default?

RK

I don't see how the tournament could be a bad thing, at least at this time. Chance to become Champions of the World.

BahamaRed

Legend
All due respect but that's a cheap and lazy response to those who have objections to the tournament.

And i'd like to see you back it up if that's possible.

Is that all that advocates for this compeititon can offer, insults?
With all due respect I've outlined earlier and in other threads what my feelings are about this competition.
Seeing all you top reds talking like there's only England and Europe in the World is quite comical.
This tournament is now set up to involve all the FIFA regions and out of it will come a true World Champion. (The fact that they fkd up with Adelaide is irrelevant). It is a natural progression from the Champions' Leagues and I applaud FIFA for at last getting some things right. Admittedly the timing could be better although I'd rather be playing this while we're in form than at the start of the season when we're still finding our legs.
The players are really fired up for it (except for Giggsy and Scholesy who have "been there done that"). I'm really up for it. Many folks here on my island who don't normally watch United games are up for it.

The opportunity to become official WORLD CHAMPIONS is here. And some of our supporters couldn't care less.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pogue Mahone

Oh how we all rememebr that national inquest in the Spanish media when Barcelona didn't win, it dminated everything didn't it?

An underlying dislike of the England coming through there? Do you suppose that Welsh and Scottish based supporters of this club hold it in some supremely high regard by default?
Eh?

Absolutely no fecking idea what you're going on about here.

You trying to say this competition isn't a big deal in Spain? (because it is)

And what the feck has my (alleged, by you) dislike of England got to do with wanting MUFC to be world champions? :confused:

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
Advantages far outweigh the disadvantages for me.

I'm looking forward to the final tomorrow and enjoyed the last game a lot.

Fact is we have to play in this tournament so I can't see what all the fuss is all about, I wonder if fans had this attitude 50-odd years ago when we pioneered English participation in the European Cup. Bit different I suppose because we had home legs but I doubt there was the same negativity shown by some here. We are in Japan because we are European champions, we are Europe's only representatives, we are taking on the South American champions for the title 'best team in the world', if we win it we come back with an extra 5 million in the kitty and world champions.
Hope we are in it next year aswell.

BahamaRed

Legend
Our Bobby........

"After lifting the Premier League and Champions League trophies earlier in the year, Charlton is looking to end 2008 off in perfect style by watching United collect the Club World Cup as well.
"The importance of this game is not lost on our players," he said.
"You don't want to come back with your tail between your legs.
"The Champions League is said to be the best, because it is the highest quality players in the heart of club football.
"But even if you win it can you really call yourself the best - because you have not beaten the best team from other continents, particularly South America?
"Usually you think of Argentina and Brazil. This time it is Ecuador.
"People have told me that football in Ecuador is on a big high, so I have no doubt it is going to be quite difficult.
"But if we win this, I think we can definitely say we are the best in the world."

I'm wiv ya Bobby

dave2528

I don't see how the tournament could be a bad thing, at least at this time. Chance to become Champions of the World.
What happens if Ronaldo breaks an ankle and half the team come down with bird flu or get sushi poisoning?

Ok, I'm just being argumentative for the saki of it but...let me ask this. Is the glory of winning this highly prestigious and historically steeped event worth the disruption in schedule, travel hours/jet leg, and Murphy's Law flaunting risk of injury or illness (see Demitar Berbato/also see Wayne Rooney in Africa)?

Please don't let Fifa's marketing and use of the word "World" trick you into believing that this competition has any real merit, glory, or esteem that come from winning major tournaments. It also doesn't mean that during THIS particular tournament that we had to beat any competition that even closely resembles the best teams in the world.

This is a dog and pony show meant to flaunt the fact we won the Champions League. We show up for a weekend, take a few pictures, and then stomp some blatantly inferior (but respectful) clubs into the pitch like the Harlem Globetrotters v. the Washington Generals.

I'm just surprised that Rooney didn't come on the pitch with a trick ball attached to his foot with a tether to dupe out the defenders, or that Curly Neal and Meadowlark Lemon weren't spotted tossing buckets of confetti and water into some poor bastards face on the bench.

BahamaRed

Legend
What happens if Ronaldo breaks an ankle and half the team come down with bird flu or get sushi poisoning?

Ok, I'm just being argumentative for the saki of it but...let me ask this. Is the glory of winning this highly prestigious and historically steeped event worth the disruption in schedule, travel hours/jet leg, and Murphy's Law flaunting risk of injury or illness (see Demitar Berbato/also see Wayne Rooney in Africa)?

Please don't let Fifa's marketing and use of the word "World" trick you into believing that this competition has any real merit, glory, or esteem that come from winning major tournaments. It also doesn't mean that during THIS particular tournament that we had to beat any competition that even closely resembles the best teams in the world.

This is a dog and pony show meant to flaunt the fact we won the Champions League. We show up for a weekend, take a few pictures, and then stomp some blatantly inferior (but respectful) clubs into the pitch like the Harlem Globetrotters v. the Washington Generals.

I'm just surprised that Rooney didn't come on the pitch with a trick ball attached to his foot with a tether to dupe out the defenders, or that Curly Neal and Meadowlark Lemon weren't spotted tossing buckets of confetti and water into some poor bastards face on the bench.
The xenophobia in England is truly outstanding. A marvel to observe.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
With all due respect I've outlined earlier and in other threads what my feelings are about this competition.
Seeing all you top reds talking like there's only England and Europe in the World is quite comical.
This tournament is now set up to involve all the FIFA regions and out of it will come a true World Champion. The fact that they fkd up with Adelaide is irrelevant. It is a natural progression from the Champions Leagues and I applaud FIFA for at last getting some things right. Admittedly the timing could be better although I'd rather be playing this while we're in form than at the start of the season when we're still finding our legs.
The players are really fired up for it (except for Giggsy and Scholesy who have "been there done that"). I'm really up for it. Many folks here who don't normally watch United games are up for it.

The opportunity to become official WORLD CHAMPIONS is here. And some of our supporters couldn't care less.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
On the contrary, i would say that some of us who do not hold up this tournament as this beacon of greatness in world football see better than you how exclusive it actually is.

It is so global and involving of the all the FIFA regions that it has only ever visited one.

And as for what you could outline, iwas rather thiniking of your accusations that those who have objections are xenophobic and spoilt, whch as i said before was cheap and lazy.

The nub of this is, there are people here whow ould want such a compeititon done in the best interests of the game and properly, and then there are others who are more focused on claiming [somewhat hollow] tags and titles.

Eh?

Absolutely no fecking idea what you're going on about here.

You trying to say this competition isn't a big deal in Spain? (because it is)

And what the feck has my (alleged, by you) dislike of England got to do with wanting MUFC to be world champions? :confused:
Amazing how you came by an idea so quickly.

I'm saying that your sweeping generaliations of how people view this compeititon are a bit of a stretch as things stand, and simply one claim against another to suit your PoV. And i would like to see a few links to articles displaying this mass interest and then terrible disappointment at Barcelona's failure?

And as for your possible anti-England/theEnglish sntiment, was merely a curious sidenote i thought all things considered. And should we take it that there is none?

BahamaRed

Legend
On the contrary, i would say that some of us who do not hold up this tournament as this beacon of greatness in world football see better than you how exclusive it actually is.
What the fk does that all mean? Of course the tournament is Exclusive. You have to be a Champions League winner on your continent to get in it. (ignore Adelaide, as I said earlier that was a mistake on FIFA's part)

It is so global and involving of the all the FIFA regions that it has only ever visited one.
Moves to Abu Dhabi next year. Was in Brazil some years back. It will start to move around. It's only logical.
And as for what you could outline, iwas rather thiniking of your accusations that those who have objections are xenophobic and spoilt, whch as i said before was cheap and lazy.
You need to see how you look from the outside (of England, that is). 'Xenophobic' and 'spoilt' seem to fit to a tee. Sorry.

The nub of this is, there are people here whow ould want such a compeititon done in the best interests of the game and properly, and then there are others who are more focused on claiming [somewhat hollow] tags and titles.
I really think the nub of this is that there are United supporters that can't see beyond their own little 'world'.

dave2528

The xenophobia in England is truly outstanding. A marvel to observe.
And I'll be watching and enjoying it too, just on a different level.

I find it rather odd that you throw the word xenophobia into this. My refusal to not put as much worth into this competition has nothing to do with social or racial or personal elitism, and everything to do with the fact that you cannot convince me that this is some "major" competition worthy of the same reverence as winning the EPL or the Champions League or the FA Cup.

And notice I said Champions League because it rules out xenophobia when I put worth into that accomplishment. Not all clubs in that event are English.

I put no worth in this as, we literally show up for two games and we're the champions of the world?!?

The weight and worth of this tournament should be judged by the weight and worth of the talent we play, and the work we put into winning it.

The ONLY reason the European teams agreed to this whole thing is that they get a bye straight into the semifinals! That's something to rest your laurels on?

It's tantamount to going and beating up the next door neighbors 10 year old and then calling yourself Champion of the Neighborhood.

dave2528

The weight and worth of this tournament should be judged by the weight and worth of the talent we play, and the work we put into winning it.
And by that I mean if you want this tournament to mean anything then set it up to mean something. Make THIS competition worthy of the respect.

None of this "we earned this Club World Cup because we won Europe."

For this tournament to have any value you need to divorce the Champions League and this, which in it's current format it does not.

BahamaRed

Legend
And I'll be watching and enjoying it too, just on a different level.

I find it rather odd that you throw the word xenophobia into this. My refusal to not put as much worth into this competition has nothing to do with social or racial or personal elitism, and everything to do with the fact that you cannot convince me that this is some "major" competition worthy of the same reverence as winning the EPL or the Champions League or the FA Cup.

And notice I said Champions League because it rules out xenophobia when I put worth into that accomplishment. Not all clubs in that event are English.

I put no worth in this as, we literally show up for two games and we're the champions of the world?!?

The ONLY reason the European teams agreed to this whole thing is that they get a bye straight into the semifinals! That's something to rest your laurels on?

It's tantamount to going and beating up the next door neighbors 10 year old and then calling yourself Champion of the Neighborhood.
God, the ignorance here is outstanding. The top teams from each FIFA region have come together to find the best in the world. FIFA understand that Europe and S America are a cut above the rest at this stage and have arranged the setup accordingly. Oceana, Asia, CONCACAF and Africa all have a chance if they're good enough. If not it boils down to Europe and S America once more, which is how it should be. But in a fair way.
Are we good enough to be the best in the world? Officially.
We're about to find out.

Oh and you must have thought long and hard to come up with this....
It's tantamount to going and beating up the next door neighbors 10 year old and then calling yourself Champion of the Neighborhood

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
What the fk does that all mean? Of course the tournament is Exclusive. You have to be a Champions League winner on your continent to get in it. (ignore Adelaide, as I said earlier that was a mistake on FIFA's part)
I should clarify, not in regards to the origin of the participating clubs but what the tournament is based upon and its motives as it continues.

Moves to Abu Dhabi next year. Was in Brazil some years back. It will start to move around. It's only logical.
It is moving to the UAE for two years and then returning to Japan again until at least 2012. FIFA's desire to bring the finals to untouched fans and new places clearly evident, no financial motivations being considered whatsoever, eh?

You need to see how you look from the outside (of England, that is). 'Xenophobic' and 'spoilt' seem to fit to a tee. Sorry.
If you'd said selfish as far as the club's hopes went in the league or the CL that would be fair enough. If you could prove to me that what i base my disapproval of the compeition on is wholly unfounded i would have no choice to hold my hands up.

As it is, you have done neither. In fact all you have done is throw around slurs that you can't possibly justify.

I really think the nub of this is that there are United supporters that can't see beyond their own little 'world'.
Your world where you only give a crap about claiming Fifa's shabby honour and sod how it came about and the apparent principles of the tournament, is a worse place to be IMO.

BahamaRed

Legend
Your world where you only give a crap about claiming Fifa's shabby honour and sod how it came about and the apparent principles of the tournament, is a worse place to be IMO.
My United world goes back 60 years. Seen it all. And this development of the World Club cup is to me, an exciting new development of the game.
Living out of England now and seeing how the rest of the world relates to this has given me a greater feeling of how important this title is for us on a World scale.
The players are now up for it as an important addition to their CV and Fergie and United really seem up for it in a global domination sense.
Are you against this because we may lose it and then we can say what a worthless competition it is? We can then stick to our belief that because we are European Champions we are also by default, world champions and no silly FIFA tournament can take that from us.........?
I want United to be WORLD CHAMPIONS. Officially.

dave2528

God, the ignorance here is outstanding. The top teams from each FIFA region have come together to find the best in the world. FIFA understand that Europe and S America are a cut above the rest at this stage and have arranged the setup accordingly. Oceana, Asia, CONCACAF and Africa all have a chance if they're good enough. If not it boils down to Europe and S America once more, which is how it should be. But in a fair way.
Are we good enough to be the best in the world? Officially.
We're about to find out.

Oh and you must have thought long and hard to come up with this....

Yes, because I was taking personal stabs at you. :rolleyes:

Never mind because obviously I can't explain myself without having insults thrown my way.

Pogue Mahone

Amazing how you came by an idea so quickly.

I'm saying that your sweeping generaliations of how people view this compeititon are a bit of a stretch as things stand, and simply one claim against another to suit your PoV. And i would like to see a few links to articles displaying this mass interest and then terrible disappointment at Barcelona's failure?

And as for your possible anti-England/theEnglish sntiment, was merely a curious sidenote i thought all things considered. And should we take it that there is none?
Nope. Still don't know what point you're trying to make. Something about Barca not making a big deal about a tournament they failed to win. Well gee, you don't say.

The rest is pretty much all fluff.

I think you need to concentrate a bit more on actually communicating your point and a bit less on pointless verbiage.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The players are now up for it as an important addition to their CV and Fergie and United really seem up for it in a global domination sense.
Are you against this because we may lose it and then we can say what a worthless competition it is? We can then stick to our belief that because we are European Champions we are also by default, world champions and no silly FIFA tournament can take that from us.........?
I want United to be WORLD CHAMPIONS. Officially.
Are you not up with footballers' media training these days, it takes a fair bit or something rather important for them not o go through the motions and put out the answers people are looking for.

And you're wrong, as disappointing as the faults that this tournament has are, i do not want us to lose tomorrow. I'll be watching most likely, i just simply won't be as keen about as you, not by a long way it appears. ;)

Nope. Still don't know what point you're trying to make. Something about Barca not making a big deal about a tournament they failed to win. Well gee, you don't say.

The rest is pretty much all fluff.

I think you need to concentrate a bit more on actually communicating your point and a bit less on pointless verbiage.
Are you totally incapabe of answering a question in this thread? For it sure seems like it.

BahamaRed

Legend
Are you not up with footballers' media training these days, it takes a fair bit or something rather important for them not o go through the motions and put out the answers people are looking for.
No idea what this means.

And you're wrong, as disappointing as the faults that this tour i do not want us to lose tomorrow. I'll be watching most likely, i just simply won't be as keen about as you, not by a long way it apnament has are, pears. ;)
Good on ya!

Watching United become the World Champions. What an honour!

dave2528

Close the door on your way out, please.
I didn't say that you convinced me of anything mind you.

Just that it's rather boring when you repeat the same response ad nauseam (xenophobia, official) while not convincing me of the legitimacy of this competition as it is currently set up.

I agree with the fact that the idea or notion to have a world club tournament is not only appealing, but long overdue. I personally WANT to see this happen.

I can feel that way and still not feel like this particular tournament is up to my own personal standards in order to be called a major event...YET.

I could care less that Fifa slaps their sticker to the box and what moniker they grant it. Until the time comes where the format and competition involved warrants the respect and recognition, I'll not see it that way.

I officially hope that this can evolve into something grand and deserving however.

I'll most definitely be watching and having a good time and hoping that this doesn't affect our performance for the other competitions we are currently involved in.

BahamaRed

Legend
I didn't say that you convinced me of anything mind you.

Just that it's rather boring when you repeat the same response ad nauseam (xenophobia, official) while not convincing me of the legitimacy of this competition as it is currently set up.

I agree with the fact that the idea or notion to have a world club tournament is not only appealing, but long overdue. I personally WANT to see this happen.

I can feel that way and still not feel like this particular tournament is up to my own personal standards in order to be called a major event...YET.

I could care less that Fifa slaps their sticker to the box and what moniker they grant it. Until the time comes where the format and competition involved warrants the respect and recognition, I'll not see it that way.

I officially hope that this can evolve into something grand and deserving however.

I'll most definitely be watching and having a good time and hoping that this doesn't affect our performance for the other competitions we are currently involved in.
Good stuff. Can't see anything there to object at. Guess the only difference is that I think FIFA have finally set this tournament up in the correct fashion (apart from the Adelaide farce)