"Champions of England..."

Spoony

The People's President
Should the World Cup just be played by countries from South America and Europe?
It's not the WC, though is it. It's always been an exhibition game. SA champs versus European champs. Much like the Super Cup and Charity Shield.

It's a privilege to be a part of it, though. But It clearly didn't need expanding, as it could prove detrimental to our domestic campaign.

And Italian. And Spanish.

In fact the only nationality who feel the need to constantly play it down are the English.

Funny that.
Which is clearly bollocks. Italians and Spanish have never taken it seriously.

Spoony

The People's President
To be true World Champions then all the teams in the World need to have a chance to compete. Right now we're champions of England and Champions of Europe. Tomorrow we'll be champions of the World. Has a good ring to it.
Can't understand the xenophobic resistance from some of you. Talk about being spoiled!
It's never carried any weight, and that's the point that's being made. As I've mentioned above, the Super Cup carries as much weight. If we were being some what xenophobic then I'm sure we would've been saying the same about the European Cup. But I wonder why we don't. Maybe because it's a proper competition.

The fact of the matter is. Do you want to win this competition and add this trophy to the honours list of our club? For me the answer is a simple, yes. Its a title after all no matter how insignificant, and they all count in the end.

BahamaRed

Legend
The fact of the matter is. Do you want to win this competition and add this trophy to the honours list of our club? For me the answer is a simple, yes. Its a title after all no matter how insignificant, and they all count in the end.
Strangely enough this is the most significant title in the world. For a club.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Strangely enough this is the most significant title in the world. For a club.
It's not though.

It's just another nice title to have.

It's as important as winning the European Supercup is.

BahamaRed

Legend
It's not though.

It's just another nice title to have.

It's as important as winning the European Supercup is.
This is far more important than that.
Get used to it. This is FIFA's Club World Cup. It's official and will forever be so. To be the best in the world you have to win the one we're gonna win tonight.
To have gotten here you had to first win the CL.
It's the most significant trophy in the world because it's the only trophy that sorts out who is the best in the world that involves all the world.
FIFA has been trying to sort this out for years. A club tournament to find the best in the world.
This time they have everyone's agreement and a formula which I think is on the right lines with a bit of tweeking.
FIFA, being the ruling body of football in the World (Earth) they asre the only organization that can hold a "World" tournament and are the only organization that can declare a "World" champion. Both logically and legally.

So tonight we're going to be, officially, World Champions.

I hope

Brwned

No its not.
Get used to it. This is FIFA's Club World Cup. It's official and will forever be so. To be the best in the world you have to win the one we're gonna win tonight.
To have gotten here you had to first win the CL.
It's the most significant trophy in the world because it's the only trophy that sorts out who is the best in the world that involves all the world.
You don't have to be the best to win this Cup though, that's the thing. If Adelaide United had won three games in this tournament they would have been crowned Club World Cup champions, that wouldn't make them the best team in the world, would it?

It's like this is the Charity Shield and the Champions League is the Premier League.

Everyone already knows whoever won the league is the best team in England, the Charity shield doesn't prove anything in that case.

It means a hell of a lot more to say 'We're the Copa Libertadores winners' or 'We're Champions League winners' than it is to say 'We're Club World Cup winners'.

Especially as it only lasts two games for us, which devalues it a bit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You don't have to be the best to win this Cup though, that's the thing. If Adelaide United had won three games in this tournament they would have been crowned Club World Cup champions, that wouldn't make them the best team in the world, would it?

It's like this is the Charity Shield and the Champions League is the Premier League.

Everyone already knows whoever won the league is the best team in England, the Charity shield doesn't prove anything in that case.

It means a hell of a lot more to say 'We're the Copa Libertadores winners' or 'We're Champions League winners' than it is to say 'We're Club World Cup winners'.

Those first three paragraphs literally don't make any sense.

You do realise you have to win the Champion's League (or the equivalent in Asia, the Americas or Africa) to even be allowed to compete in this tournament.

How the feck is tomorrow's game even vaguely comparable to fecking Portsmouth competing for the Charity Shield? :confused:

BahamaRed

Legend
Those last two paragraphs don't make any sense.

Says who? Where I live it means a hell of a lot more to say we're World Champions
We had to qualify first for the Champions League by winning our own league. Then play 6 group games in the CL , then Home and Away from last 16 to final then Moscow......... to qualify to play these two games!.........to become World Champions

AND WORLD CHAMPIONS WE WILL BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!

Brwned

Those first three paragraphs literally don't make any sense.

You do realise you have to win the Champion's League (or the equivalent in Asia, the Americas or Africa) to even be allowed to compete in this tournament.

How the feck is tomorrow's game even vaguely comparable to fecking Portsmouth competing for the Charity Shield? :confused:
Because it's just an added bonus to winning a Cup competition.

Portsmouth won the FA Cup and then had to play in the Charity shield.

The Charity Shield is supposed to put the two best teams in England up against each other, that's always been the idea behind it, but it doesn't always work out that way.

It's the same case here, it's not the best teams in the world up against each other, it's just the winners of a cup competition. A prestigious cup competition in each case, but a cup competition nonetheless.

The simple fact is the Club World Cup isn't grouping the best teams in the world together, because Waitakere United aren't one of the best teams in the world.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
As the players are there, I'm looking forward to them winning it.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2057477.ece

WAYNE ROONEY is hell-bent on making Manchester United fans alter one of their chants.

At every game the Red Devils faithful let the opposition know they not only won the Premier League last season but the Champ-ions League too.

Now striker Rooney wants another line added on, with victory over Ecuador’s Liga de Quito in Sunday’s Club World Cup final in Yokohama.

Rooney said: “It is a great opportunity for us to become world champions.

“You don’t get many chances to win this tournament so we want to win it.

“Our fans sing “Champions of England, champions of Europe” and it would sound even better for them to add “Champions of the world” so we want to win it for them and ourselves.”

Rooney, 23, also believes victory over the South American champions on Sunday would give them the perfect platform for a spectacular second half to their season.

He said: “It would send out a powerful message if we were to win it. We’re in quite a strong position in the league and if we go back as champions of the world it would be a big boost for us.

“It’s never been in my mind about winning the world championship. When I joined United the targets were the obvious ones like the Premier League and Champions League.

“But the chance to play in this really excited me. Not many players get this opportunity.”

Rooney came on late in Thursday’s semi-final but still scored twice in a 5-3 win over Japan’s Gamba Osaka.

United won the competition under its old guise as the InterContinental Cup in 1999.

Goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar could also call himself a club world champion after winning with Ajax in 1995.

Dutchman Van der Sar said: “It was great because I never became a world champion with the national team.

“It was a big thing for Ajax and 100,000 people welcomed us back for a big celebration in Amsterdam.
:devil: - bet they had the double decker bus through the town stuff as well

“That shows how important it was over there.

“You come all this way and miss out on some Premier League action so you might as well do all you can to win it.”

Left-back Patrice Evra added: “It could be only once in your life you have the opportunity to achieve something like this.

“We must play this game like the Champions League final.”

Brwned

Those last two paragraphs don't make any sense.

Says who? Where I live it means a hell of a lot more to say we're World Champions

We had to qualify first for the Champions League by winning our own league. Then play 6 group games in the CL , then Home and Away from last 16 to final then Moscow......... to qualify to play these two games!.........to become World Champions
:smirk:

Is that right? I'd be willing to bet that the majority of fans in Europe and in South America would place their respective continental cup competitions above this Club World Cup.

We had to do that to qualify for it, but the competition as a whole is devalued because of the length of it, IMO.

Im lovin the debate guys, keep it up. :yawn:

I will say that FIFA hosts this tournament and grants the winner the official title of the 'World Champions'. Thats more than good enough for me.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Is that right? I'd be willing to bet that the majority of fans in Europe and in South America would place their respective continental cup competitions above this Club World Cup.
Actually that's not true at all least according to Tim Vickery. For the South Americans its their one and only chance to pit themselves against the darn Europeans who steal all their best players and bring home some glory.

kietotheworld

The 2008 CL Final a waste of time then? You don't have to be the best team in Europe to be the European Champions, does that make the competition worthless?

Impossible to judge that really isn't it? For a Euro/SA team to win the CWC it is necessary to have won the Continental Cup Competition.

BahamaRed

Legend
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and, to make matters worse, wrong.

Because it's just an added bonus to winning a Cup competition.
No its not. Its the tournament to find the World Champion Club team. And that's Official!

Portsmouth won the FA Cup and then had to play in the Charity shield.
The charity shield ia and always has been a fun game to start the season. Meaningless if we lose or even if we win. Of no local, National or International significance. Outside of England I doubt a single soul even knows it exists.

The Charity Shield is supposed to put the two best teams in England up against each other, that's always been the idea behind it, but it doesn't always work out that way.
Since when were the FA Cup winners considered the second best team in England

It's the same case here, it's not the best teams in the world up against each other, it's just the winners of a cup competition. A prestigious cup competition in each case, but a cup competition nonetheless.
How wrong can you be. You had to win your FIFA region's Champions League to get into this tournament. Like the European Cup used to be. Are you saying that just because we won the European CL that we're not the best in Europe? How strange. The Adelaide/Waikaerikarere bit was puzzling though I must say, even to those in the know, but I'm ignoring all that because the setup has allowed for shit happening in the early rounds. Two of the last four have to be Europe and S America and this accepted by all the other regions. Everyone else has to fight for that semi final place. Pretty logical to me. The whole World has the opportunity to win it.
That's why the trophy is the most significant in the world. It is the world trophy after all.
I intend to put a banner up in my store............to be continued

The simple fact is the Club World Cup isn't grouping the best teams in the world together, because Waitakere United aren't one of the best teams in the world.
see above

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Im lovin the debate guys, keep it up. :yawn:

I will say that FIFA hosts this tournament and grants the winner the official title of the 'World Champions'. Thats more than good enough for me.
I does seem that every thread that has anything to do with this tournament has turned into the same argument - this one is just supposed to be about changing the chant!

anyway while Im here, i just wanted to say that I am looking forward to us winning the the most important club tournament in the World :p
(I am also slightly worried that it is not going to be as easy as everyone thinks)

Brwned

The 2008 CL Final a waste of time then? You don't have to be the best team in Europe to be the European Champions, does that make the competition worthless?

Impossible to judge that really isn't it? For a Euro/SA team to win the CWC it is necessary to have won the Continental Cup Competition.
The CL final is part of the Cl, so that's irrelevant.

Well yeah, maybe. But you have to win the League or FA Cup to be able to win the community shield, and everyone values the community shield below the other two.

Which is why I thought the comparison made a fair point.

Clearly not though.

:(

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

We had to do that to qualify for it, but the competition as a whole is devalued because of the length of it, IMO.
I know what you mean and I can see it changing a lot in the next few years. A mini tournament, played in the summers when there aren't WCs/Euros with the top clubs might work - but it'll all come down to financing. Big enough to attract TV without becoming a burden or a mess? Not easy, but I bet someone will take a crack at it.

Brwned

It's not that clear cut though Bahama.

I don't think there is a right or wrong in this case, I think it's very subjective and depends on how you want to look at it.

Being Club World Champions means a lot less to anyone I know than being Champions League winners does.

BahamaRed

Legend
It's not that clear cut though Bahama.

I don't think there is a right or wrong in this case, I think it's very subjective and depends on how you want to look at it.

Being Club World Champions means a lot less to anyone I know than being Champions League winners does.
But its not a subjective argument.

It's Official. FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP. If we win we will be World Champions......just hours away an all. You better believe that if we win it we will be calling ourselves World Champions right through 2009. You'll see it every day somewhere.

If I was a boxer, or a cyclist, or a swimmer, or a .....etc etc and I had won my National, then European, then World titles do you think I'd be walking around calling myself European Champion?

Brwned

We'll be World Champions, but it won't make us the best team in the world.

Because Waitakere United were just three wins away from doing the same, it doesn't make them one of the best teams in the world. It just makes them the best team in their continent and then the winner of a 3 game cup competition.

Being World Champions doesn't mean half as much to most in comparison to being European Champions.

Brwned

Of course not, we're the best team in the world whether we win it or not.

But Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of the World, willing to accept challengers from anywhere in the solar system - it's a nice hat-trick.
Definitely, it's nice to hear and it's a nice title to have.

But I'm not going to talk it up to be something I don't think it is. It's a nice tournament to be in but I wouldn't care in the slightest if we lost tomorrow because the title just isn't very important to me.

RK

To be fair, even if you forget the "prestige" of the tournament, it's still a decent break for us considering we're not really in form.

Could properly kick-start our season. Worth a go.

Oh yea, and we could become World Champions.

BahamaRed

Legend
We'll be World Champions, but it won't make us the best team in the world.
Of course it will. That's what its all about. Football. On the field. All arguments settled. Whoever scores the most wins!!! All the contenders are ready! Winner takes all. I love this game.

Because Waitakere United were just three wins away from doing the same, it doesn't make them one of the best teams in the world. It just makes them the best team in their continent and then the winner of a 3 game cup competition.
And if they had have won all their games who could deny them their title. That's what sport is all about.

Being World Champions doesn't mean half as much to most in comparison to being European Champions.
It will do if we become World Champions though. After all we would have official bragging rights. No arguments.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Some of you lot (seems like quite a few actually) have the exact mentality that the FA had all those years ago regarding playing in European competition.

Thanks God Sir Matt wasn't that small minded then.

Because its new and some of the teams aren't that great. And because maybe you only play one decent match (although Osaka didn't lay down and die did they) it isn't worth winning.

I'd say that reminds me of the old European Cup.

Its funny how every single one of you will hold Sir Matt on a pedestal for doing what he did and yet sit there and judge this tournament as nothing.

Brwned

Of course it will. That's what its all about. Football. On the field. All arguments settled. Whoever scores the most wins!!! All the contenders are ready! Winner takes all. I love this game.

And if they had have won all their games who could deny them their title. That's what sport is all about.

It will do if we become World Champions though. After all we would have official bragging rights. No arguments.
You're arguing the same point over and over here again Bahama, at least try to make a different point because I might well admit you're right if you do make a point I can agree with.

Being Club World Cup champions doesn't give us any more reason to brag than being European Champions.

Fecking muppet.

BahamaRed

Legend
You're arguing the same point over and over here again Bahama, at least try to make a different point because I might well admit you're right if you do make a point I can agree with.

Being Club World Cup champions doesn't give us any more reason to brag than being European Champions.

Fecking muppet.
The king, to be sure. That's official too.

Brwned

The king, to be sure. That's official too.
Have to say I disagree.

You have the ego to be the king but there are bigger muppets than you these days Bahama.

You've lost your title as king.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We're there now, kick offs in 10 hours. May as well just go win this damn competition and quit squabbling.

Big Mouth

Does the title of World Club Champions make you the best club side in the world.

Of course not.

In 2005 LFC were the best team in Europe but not the best team in England, as an example.

It's a bollocks tournament that would be nice to win but carries no kudos with 90% of the football fans worldwide.

Burak1878

Does the title of World Club Champions make you the best club side in the world.

Of course not.

In 2005 LFC were the best team in Europe but not the best team in England, as an example.

It's a bollocks tournament that would be nice to win but carries no kudos with 90% of the football fans worldwide.
You are wrong if you think it is bolloks just becuase that winning this title after only two victories. You have to win the PL or finish at top 4 to go the CL. Then you have to win the CL. So you must get dozens of victories.

Spoony

The People's President
because the European Cup WAS something and denial of that was just English 50s insularity. This is nothing but fanny.
People seem to forget that the World Club Championship has been around for nearly 50 years and it's never taken off, whereas the EC and WC quite rightfully did. That said, I enjoyed winning it today. Our second one, overall.

We are the champions, of. . .the world.

Bearded but no genius

Of course not.

You could theoretically argue the same for the CL not deciding the 'best team in Europe' as anything can happen in knockout football.

Yet it is our Holy Grail and is rightfully accepted as THE biggest trophy in club football.

How is this a "nothing" tournament given the sides that clubs have all been putting out since the format change in the last half decade?

Obviously it is nothing at all like Moscow, but the idea it is "nothing" is silly.

This is the winners of each confederation's CL against each other for the closest you can get to a Champion Of Earth.

I'm glad the managers and players take it more seriously than some fans have.