Charlie Savage

Bojan Djordjic

Even Greenwood was an unknown...great at youth level but he was playing against kids his own age. The others were doing it regularly against grown men.

Within weeks of making his United debut at 16...Norman Whiteside was going to the World Cup.

Giggs was destroying seasoned professionals in the reserves every week whilst Nicky Butt was bossing midfield before Keane arrived.

Fletcher just made the whole game look easy...he could read a game better than most I've seen.

Morrison could do anything and everything. In terms of pure skill...the best I've ever seen.
As a matter of interest, is there anyone coming through even at younger age groups that you see with that kind of potential?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's really tidy on the ball but I don't think his actual passing is that great. It's not bad either but a lot of the passes are slightly misplaced or over/under hit. He just looks composed when he does them.

He has plenty of time to improve on that and definitely one to keep an eye on and who might get the odd chance here and there, but anyone thinking he'll be playing regularly in our first team midfield next season I think is kidding themselves. He's miles away from being ready for that. If he's considered ready for first team football he'll more likely go on loan.

We've had plenty of young players who can look tidy on the ball and pick a pass. There's a whole lot more than that to playing in a PL midfield. If we wanted to give a youngster who has quality on the ball and a range of passing a try, Garner would be head of the queue.

That's not saying I haven't been impressed with Savage but we need a bit of realism. People talking as if he should replace Mctominay now I assume don't understand the concept of pre season against Melbourne not being the same as a 100mph Premier league game where you get found out with every mistake and buried into the ground if you aren't up to it physically.

No idea if he is good enough or not but this is exactly what we should be doing with Elanga while his stock is high. He won't make it at United in my view but I'm sure we could get 20m for him now.
That's a nothing amount for a club who let £50m players run their contracts down and leave for free.

Not to mention if we sold Elanga we'd have absolutely no back up for either Rashford or Sancho, and after last season it's debatable who out of Rashford and Elanga would even be the back up.

Beaucoup

I appreciate all the above, but this is one persons opinion, to many in and around the academy, Greenwood was about as nailed on to succeed as you can get.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
surprised not to see Greenwood in your list, but perhaps he’s been scrubbed from memory :wenger:
Agreed, took me about 15 minutes of watching Greenwood to know he was a really special player. Pretty much knew he was gonna be a first teamer after the first game I saw of him at 16.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
As a matter of interest, is there anyone coming through even at younger age groups that you see with that kind of potential?
Not that I've seen, there are some fantastic young players coming through but someone like Greenwood only comes along once every 20 years. There might be someone younger than 16 who's a Greenwood-level talent but we won't know much about them until they hit the U18s.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed, took me about 15 minutes of watching Greenwood to know he was a really special player. Pretty much knew he was gonna be a first teamer after the first game I saw of him at 16.
same here, seeing the results roll in every week and checking to see if greenwood had scored again - yep you guessed it.

It’s makes what’s happened sting just that bit extra. I feel like we had a glimpse of his talent and it’s all been snatched away. What a waste.

CarbonStoolBites

I appreciate all the above, but this is one persons opinion, to many in and around the academy, Greenwood was about as nailed on to succeed as you can get.
Yep, Greenwood was special for sure. His speed, dribbling, finishing, and how ridiculously comfortable he was on the ball in super tight areas in the box surrounded by defenders ala Aguero, Suarez and RVP, that is rare to find, so rare.

People forget how young he was when he was banging them in the Premier League.
Practically unheard of for an 18 year old forward to perform like that in the Premier League, off the top of my head only Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and Wayne Rooney managed that.

Comfortably the best player the academy produced since David Beckham and Paul Scholes.
He was a generational talent, 100m+ player potentially.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I've watched youth football for over 40 years and there are only five players who absolute certs to make it. Some were too small (Scholes), some weren't fast (Hughes), some weren't as technical (Neville), some had injury problems (Brown)...you just don't know what will happen.

So fans need to cut the youngsters some slack, be patient, get behind them and see what happens.
I think a lot like to be keyboard coaches and make strong 'expert' pronouncements about youth players when there are so many factors involved.

khoazany

My intel? Just from his dad, mate.

He says he always had to meet targets and was borderline every two years about being kept on. This is probably more due to the standards United have at this level in order to keep these lads on, there’s no point in doing so if they aren’t going to make it in some capacity.

Glad we have people like yourself though that actually watch the reserves and have informed opinions on the lads because there’s a lot of people eager to dismiss these young lads because they’re not complete at this tender age. It’s amazing how fast a young player can go from being average to amazing, all it takes is the right environment.
I did watch him a bit at a younger age (12-16) and whilst I do like his left peg and he does look comfortable spraying passes around comments like this doesn't surprise me as he does not exactly stand out compared to his peers in his positions like A.Hughes (who didn't sign the scholarship) and Pleavin. When he moves to the U18s we signed Hannibal plus Svidersky whom we already signed before that who made him and Iqbal moved down the pecking order further but he has made impressive progess during his second year when he's being played regularly.

crossy1686

career ending
I did watch him a bit at a younger age (12-16) and whilst I do like his left peg and he does look comfortable spraying passes around comments like this doesn't surprise me as he does not exactly stand out compared to his peers in his positions like A.Hughes (who didn't sign the scholarship) and Pleavin. When he moves to the U18s we signed Hannibal plus Svidersky whom we already signed before that who made him and Iqbal moved down the pecking order further but he has made impressive progess during his second year when he's being played regularly.
Part of United's philosophy is having better players raises the bar for everyone. It's a great sign that he and Iqbal were able to raise their game in order to get back into contention again. Great mindset.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Thats what is so interesting about youth football, we all see different things which forms our views.

It’s one of the reasons I say ‘trust the coaches’…I’ve been wrong about more players than I’ve been right over the years so now I tend not to make predictions.

The coaches get right most of the time and I can’t think of too many players who we let go of when we should have kept them.

Back on point, all Charlie can do is give his best, continue to develop and then we will see…

Avid fan

I'm going straight out and say this lad is going to make it on here.

Yeah I've been burnt before (Gomes, Chong, Pearson). But with Savage I just see how good a midfielder he is.

His positioning is top class as is his reading of the game, there was this moment that stood out: Telles raced out to intercept a pass played towards the left side channel and Savage immediately covers for him.

He plays with such calmness and assuredness that belies his young age and experience that I don't feel with Garner.

If he can improve the weight of his of passes which imo is the only weakness in his game then we have a hell of a player on our hands

Elcabron

He's really tidy on the ball but I don't think his actual passing is that great. It's not bad either but a lot of the passes are slightly misplaced or over/under hit. He just looks composed when he does them.

He has plenty of time to improve on that and definitely one to keep an eye on and who might get the odd chance here and there, but anyone thinking he'll be playing regularly in our first team midfield next season I think is kidding themselves. He's miles away from being ready for that. If he's considered ready for first team football he'll more likely go on loan.

We've had plenty of young players who can look tidy on the ball and pick a pass. There's a whole lot more than that to playing in a PL midfield. If we wanted to give a youngster who has quality on the ball and a range of passing a try, Garner would be head of the queue.

That's not saying I haven't been impressed with Savage but we need a bit of realism. People talking as if he should replace Mctominay now I assume don't understand the concept of pre season against Melbourne not being the same as a 100mph Premier league game where you get found out with every mistake and buried into the ground if you aren't up to it physically.

That's a nothing amount for a club who let £50m players run their contracts down and leave for free.

Not to mention if we sold Elanga we'd have absolutely no back up for either Rashford or Sancho, and after last season it's debatable who out of Rashford and Elanga would even be the back up.
Well if we sold the other not good enough squad members for similar money, we would be able to buy some decent back up.

Take your point re last season and how atrocious Rashford was, Elanga however wasn't a whole lot better. Maybe he would fetch more than 20m, he is a full Swedish international now.

Hopefully the days of allowing players to run their contracts down are behind us..... hopefully.

OpenIntrovert

This might be premature, but I think Savage will have a stronger chance to be in the first team than the rest. Players like him are capable of following instructions and executing them according to the manager's wish. Savage's technical skills are not that bad for his age with room for improvement, so all in all he will be someone who will make the grade.

OpenIntrovert

On the slight off-topic of youth players making the grade, I would say these are the key factors besides possessing talent for their playing positions.

1) Attitude (very important)
2) Discipline
3) Intelligence/Maturity level in making decisions off and on the ball

All the players who make the grade certainly possess the above with point number 3 not always true in some of the cases. People get surprised with Scott McTominay but if you look at his attitude and discipline, he is a player capable of following instructions with strong self-motivation. It is very rare to see players make the grade just based on talent alone.

Red Royal

Even Greenwood was an unknown...great at youth level but he was playing against kids his own age. The others were doing it regularly against grown men.

Within weeks of making his United debut at 16...Norman Whiteside was going to the World Cup.

Giggs was destroying seasoned professionals in the reserves every week whilst Nicky Butt was bossing midfield before Keane arrived.

Fletcher just made the whole game look easy...he could read a game better than most I've seen.

Morrison could do anything and everything. In terms of pure skill...the best I've ever seen.
Great post. From that list only Morrison disappointed... and that due to his own attitude over anything else.

It should be a reminder that we have seen so many e.g. Macheda, Wilson, Januzaj, Blackett, McNair... who looked like that they could at least break into regular first team football. Chances are most won't... I have high hopes for Iqbal but a long way to go yet and needs patience!

In Rainbows

This might be premature, but I think Savage will have a stronger chance to be in the first team than the rest. Players like him are capable of following instructions and executing them according to the manager's wish. Savage's technical skills are not that bad for his age with room for improvement, so all in all he will be someone who will make the grade.
Technical skills largely don't improve much at this age. What improves is confidence (to showcase the technical skill you already have shown at youth levels), and sharpness in terms of decision making (speed of play decisions, and general decision making).

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Wouldnt you put Greenwood in the list ?
Clearly others thought he was a cert as they have said…but I wasn’t sure as he was only playing against youth players against which he excelled.

He never really played against adults so I always wondered about his physicality. He jumped straight to the first team and there were no problems for him.

I was wrong at the time.

But that’s the thing, no fan is a perfect predictor of young talent.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Charlie Savage linked to Reading in a permanent move.
Would be good for him and for us. Sadly, I don't think he quite has what it takes to be a United 1st team player.
It seems like we're taking a different direction with academy players, i.e., allow them to move to another team early on if they won't make it here, which am happy to see.
I agree, League One would be a good challenge for Savage. He's a decent hard-working player who will hopefully have a good career in the lower EFL leagues.

Bojan Djordjic

Does anyone know if we got a fee for him?

Seemed like a good lad and gave it his all despite probably not being as talented as some contemporaries. Gave us a touching moment listening to his Dad get emotional on his debut. Wish him the best and hope to see him do well with another club.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Seemed like a good lad and gave it his all despite probably not being as talented as some contemporaries. Gave us a touching moment listening to his Dad get emotional on his debut. Wish him the best and hope to see him do well with another club.
If we did it's probably a low six-figure fee. We put more emphasis in the buyback/first refusal and sell-on %.

kundalini

Reading didn't pay a fee for any player last season or the season before, despite being in the Championship at the time, they are now in League One. Last season League One teams paid a fee for 12 players according to Transfermarkt, so the vast majority of arrivals are loans and free transfers. Charlie Savage started 13 matches last season for the worst team in the division, so doesn't strike me as the type of player you'd buy at this stage of his career.

Charlie has signed a 4 years deal at Reading so it is possible that the sell-on % will come into play.

Last edited: