Charlie Savage

Lynty

Good performance. Vision and position seems good.

Needs to improve weight of pas though. Too many balls played just behind receiver, or they had to wait for the ball to come instead of playing it into their path.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Imagine telling people 20 years ago that Savage and Zidane would play together.

You should have been sectioned.

Elcabron

He looks good. I think we need to find a way to put him on the shop window, so we can get 25-30m for him next season.
No idea if he is good enough or not but this is exactly what we should be doing with Elanga while his stock is high. He won't make it at United in my view but I'm sure we could get 20m for him now.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
No idea if he is good enough or not but this is exactly what we should be doing with Elanga while his stock is high. He won't make it at United in my view but I'm sure we could get 20m for him now.
So we don't know if he could be something really special...(basically he is still very raw and learning the adult game)...but let's sell him for £20m.

FFS

SAF is the GOAT

If he could establish himself as a player in the senior team maybe in a year time we won't need to buy a DM and he could our first choice on midfield instead of Scott who doesn't do anything.

Scholes on Charlie Savage vs Melbourne Victory :lol:

Last edited:

Mr PG

Elanga will never be good enough for us. I’ve been saying since last season that Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage are ahead of Hannibal and should have been in 1st team

Elcabron

So we don't know if he could be something really special...(basically he is still very raw and learning the adult game)...but let's sell him for £20m.

FFS
I was talking about Elanga. Savage I have no idea so more than happy to keep him for now. Elanga however will never be good enough, great kid apparently, great attitude and work ethic but you need more than that to make it at United.

Elcabron

Elanga will never be good enough for us. I’ve been saying since last season that Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage are ahead of Hannibal and should have been in 1st team
Really? That's interesting. I've never really seen either of those three play very much. Do you think they are both more talented than Hannibal or just more developed at this stage?

crossy1686

career ending
Every game for about 3-4 years now. I think the poster I quoted explained it pretty well.
I heard he was quite underwhelming in the reserves, to the point he was almost released. From what people have been saying about him in the last year however doesn’t seem to be accurate anymore.

Young lads develop differently, whether it’s maturity, physicality, mentality etc, it comes to everyone at a different age, and from what his dad said when he made his debut it seems like he has really matured and worked hard over the last two years to get himself in this position.

He might never make it at PL level, most don’t and there’s no shame in that but to write a kid off without taking into account their rapid development at this age is short sighted.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Depressing how much more he looks like a legitimate central midfielder than McTominay. The second half panned out like the first half should have. Because we finally had some central midfielders who can actually pass the ball. Not a big ask, right?!
Mctominay is one of the mysteries of modern-day Manchester United. A starting CM who can't pass is incredible at a club of United's stature.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Give him and Zidane time to grow a couple of more kilos and get used to a more physical environment and we’re talking.

Apart from their obvious talent the right mentality and determination is what separates those who make it all the way and not. I think Charlie has a good chance to reach PL level because his strengths is more about reading the game and good passes then being physically impressive.

RC89

Mctominay is one of the mysteries of modern-day Manchester United. A starting CM who can't pass is incredible at a club of United's stature.
You don't need to pass if you never make yourself available for one :smirk:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I only watched the game late last night but this guy was brilliant. What an exciting prospect. I said I was impressed after the first game in his positioning and how he finds space, but he went up a level and was looking reminiscent of Paul Scholes in the way he moved around the pitch and found his passes. I live how he gets the ball moving quickly too. I came into pre season looking forward to seeing Hannibal, who's non appearances are worrying me, but I'm enjoying watching Savage the most now.

Best player for me yesterday.

Wheato

Savage is quality, He controlled the game that second half. Always showing for and demanding the ball from defence, then moving it quickly no more that 2 touches and he has played a forward pass. His range of passing is also impressive, he isn't scared to play 40 yard diagonal balls over the top. And when we lost possession, he was the the first to win it back. The ball retention was one of the best I have seen in recent years.

Iqbal also looks like a decent player, but he is more of a creative type. He loves to take people on, play 1-2's around defenders, chip balls into the box. And like Savage, he always wants the ball, is always moving and showing for it.

I think we have really struck gold with these two, and throw Garner into the mix and you've got a succession plan for the next decade. Ten Hag will make them better.

Mickson

I heard he was quite underwhelming in the reserves, to the point he was almost released. From what people have been saying about him in the last year however doesn’t seem to be accurate anymore.

Young lads develop differently, whether it’s maturity, physicality, mentality etc, it comes to everyone at a different age, and from what his dad said when he made his debut it seems like he has really matured and worked hard over the last two years to get himself in this position.

He might never make it at PL level, most don’t and there’s no shame in that but to write a kid off without taking into account their rapid development at this age is short sighted.
It's not short-sighted, it's the realistic thing. Funny you say that when the odds are vastly against you. It's like saying that it's short-sighted that Nathan Bishop isn't going to end up our first tram goalkeeper; he's simply not good enough and you can quote me on this in a year or two.

crossy1686

career ending
It's not short-sighted, it's the realistic thing. Funny you say that when the odds are vastly against you. It's like saying that it's short-sighted that Nathan Bishop isn't going to end up our first tram goalkeeper; he's simply not good enough and you can quote me on this in a year or two.
Goalies are a different story, there’s only 20 that get to play first team football in the PL, and an additional 20 that get to sit on the bench. When you factor in that every youth team has at least 2 goalies a year, you can see the odds are clearly stacked.

However playing for a team like United at reserve level means you’re much more likely to end up playing first team football somewhere as United sign up and keep the best young players to sell at a profit when they’re ready for first team football if nothing else.

So I would say savage has an outside chance if he continues to develop as fast as he has done these last couple of seasons

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
The kid is just making his break through and some you, he won’t make it, sell him, ffs he’s on tour through merit and the manager sees something that a lot of you can’t!!

Mr. MUJAC

I'm not sure where you are getting your intel from as Savage was in the U/18's two years ago and only missed one game all season. There was no talk of him being released and he was one of our most consistent performers.

Last season was his first in the Reserves (U/23) and once again he was playing really well thus he was called into the first team squad on a number of occasions so he was hardly 'underwhelming'.

I agree different players mature differently and also 100%...he works incredibly hard in training. Although to be fair nearly all the players work hard otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Charlie has been been making steady progress in every season I've followed him since the U/14/U/15's.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not sure where you are getting your intel from as Savage was in the U/18's two years ago and only missed one game all season. There was no talk of him being released and he was one of our most consistent performers.

Last season was his first in the Reserves (U/23) and once again he was playing really well thus he was called into the first team squad on a number of occasions so he was hardly 'underwhelming'.

I agree different players mature differently and also 100%...he works incredibly hard in training. Although to be fair nearly all the players work hard otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Charlie has been been making steady progress in every season I've followed him since the U/14/U/15's.
My intel? Just from his dad, mate.

He says he always had to meet targets and was borderline every two years about being kept on. This is probably more due to the standards United have at this level in order to keep these lads on, there’s no point in doing so if they aren’t going to make it in some capacity.

Glad we have people like yourself though that actually watch the reserves and have informed opinions on the lads because there’s a lot of people eager to dismiss these young lads because they’re not complete at this tender age. It’s amazing how fast a young player can go from being average to amazing, all it takes is the right environment.

Blood Mage

The new pre-season Pirlo? Seriously though, I hope he makes it here. It would be a great story.

WirralRed

Really likes what I’ve saw from him, don’t know if it’s because who is dad is but never thought much of him. Never knew he had such a good passing range. Be I interesting to see if he can do it in competitive games.

GBBQ

I wonder if, like McT under Mourinho, being a no nonsense player who carries out the managers orders could see him getting a chance in the first team. I would think that he would do better with a loan and bulking up.

By the same token I wonder if McT could get back to his breakthrough season level of impact by being coached in a team with a definite tactical approach in place.

Mr. MUJAC

My intel? Just from his dad, mate.

He says he always had to meet targets and was borderline every two years about being kept on. This is probably more due to the standards United have at this level in order to keep these lads on, there’s no point in doing so if they aren’t going to make it in some capacity.

Glad we have people like yourself though that actually watch the reserves and have informed opinions on the lads because there’s a lot of people eager to dismiss these young lads because they’re not complete at this tender age. It’s amazing how fast a young player can go from being average to amazing, all it takes is the right environment.
Yeah...Robbie is talking about when he was 14 and the coaches were talking about giving him a scholarship or not.

The club looks at every player every two years as that's when decisions are made. The last two years has seen him make amazing progress.

If he keep progressing he has a chance. At this point all these players have the technique and the motivation. Luck, confidence and managing the pressure will now be the critical factors. If he starts to plateau which most players do, then he will need to find another opportunity elsewhere. He will certainly have a career in the game.

I've watched youth football for over 40 years and there are only five players who absolute certs to make it. Some were too small (Scholes), some weren't fast (Hughes), some weren't as technical (Neville), some had injury problems (Brown)...you just don't know what will happen.

So fans need to cut the youngsters some slack, be patient, get behind them and see what happens.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He looked good, he is always on the move to get on the ball and passed the ball quickly. His range of passing was good too and not afraid to get on the ball. Him and Zidane looked impressive in both games.

SAF is the GOAT

The 2 next things I would want to see from him are if he's press resistant and if he touches the ball too many times(after seeing Matic and Scott for years, I can't stand it no more)

3KDré

Yeah...Robbie is talking about when he was 14 and the coaches were talking about giving him a scholarship or not.

The club looks at every player every two years as that's when decisions are made. The last two years has seen him make amazing progress.

If he keep progressing he has a chance. At this point all these players have the technique and the motivation. Luck, confidence and managing the pressure will now be the critical factors. If he starts to plateau which most players do, then he will need to find another opportunity elsewhere. He will certainly have a career in the game.

I've watched youth football for over 40 years and there are only five players who absolute certs to make it. Some were too small (Scholes), some weren't fast (Hughes), some weren't as technical (Neville), some had injury problems (Brown)...you just don't know what will happen.

So fans need to cut the youngsters some slack, be patient, get behind them and see what happens.
Who were they?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Love this kid, seems to have the kind of fire in his heart and in his legs that is missing from many in our squad, also - good head on the shoulders. Would love to see him become a big midfield star for us. I think under EtH he can, and because of that - I don't want to see him going on a loan somewhere where he will be with bullshit coaches.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Norman Whiteside, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Darren Fletcher, Ravel Morrison. Mark Hughes was there or thereabouts.

Everyone else was a maybe.
surprised not to see Greenwood in your list, but perhaps he’s been scrubbed from memory :wenger:

Mr. MUJAC

surprised not to see Greenwood in your list, but perhaps he’s been scrubbed from memory :wenger:
Even Greenwood was an unknown...great at youth level but he was playing against kids his own age. The others were doing it regularly against grown men.

Within weeks of making his United debut at 16...Norman Whiteside was going to the World Cup.

Giggs was destroying seasoned professionals in the reserves every week whilst Nicky Butt was bossing midfield before Keane arrived.

Fletcher just made the whole game look easy...he could read a game better than most I've seen.

Morrison could do anything and everything. In terms of pure skill...the best I've ever seen.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Even Greenwood was an unknown...great at youth level but he was playing against kids his own age. The others were doing it regularly against grown men.

Within weeks of making his United debut at 16...Norman Whiteside was going to the World Cup.

Giggs was destroying seasoned professionals in the reserves every week whilst Nicky Butt was bossing midfield before Keane arrived.

Fletcher just made the whole game look easy...he could read a game better than most I've seen.

Morrison could do anything and everything. In terms of pure skill...the best I've ever seen.
No disagreement on your list at all!

The only one I've watched regularly was Morrison, but for me Greenwood had the very same aura. That Hattrick against Chelsea in the youth cup especially was so impressive.

Such a shame how it ended up, I really did think we had a world beater on our hands. Anyway...

Savage is doing all the right things, I think ETH will like him a lot.