Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Looks like Bakayoko beats Matic on all counts and that's against better teams as well. I have to say that stats aren't everything and Baka has lost possession a few too many times. He is young and hopefully will learn to adapt to the speed and intensity of the premier league. Reminds me a bit of Patrick Viera.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like Bakayoko beats Matic on all counts and that's against better teams as well. I have to say that stats aren't everything and Baka has lost possession a few too many times. He is young and hopefully will learn to adapt to the speed and intensity of the premier league. Reminds me a bit of Patrick Viera.
Have to remember that stats rarely paint the full picture. Metrics such as tackles, interceptions, etcetera, are often heavily reliant on the way the teams set up, and players of equal skill in similar positions can as a result have very different statistics. What's more important is how they fulfil their role in the team, and on that account I don't think neither Man Utd fans nor Chelsea fans will feel disappointed. If I've understood correctly Matic has regained some of his old form in this slightly deeper midfield role, while Bakayoko has been this very dynamic central midfielder we were hoping for, driving through the opponent's midfield.

Very much agree with you on Bakayoko losing possession a bit too much. It hasn't been uncommon that when he has received a horizontal pass from Alonso, the midfielder or forward on his blind side has been able to close the distance without him noticing and intercept the ball, sometimes leading to our defense being run at. A relatively simple fix would be to tell him to always throw a quick glance over his shoulder to be aware of what's going on behind him (a strong trait of Mikel, which was one of the reason he rarely lost possession). He has received many plaudits and deservedly so, but can definitely improve as well, which I'm looking forward to.

Reactions: Varun

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You missed out Herrera. Beats them all. Also too early to use per 90 mins stats. Bakayoko didn't play regularly to use them properly.

Also you missed out passes which is very important for a midfielder.

Mike09

Bakayoko seems to play different roles when I watched the game against Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, Atl Madrid. Against Spurs & Arsenal he seems to play as a box to box. Against Leicester, I can't exactly remember but I think he played as a holding midfielder. Against Atl Madrid he seems to play as ball winning midfielder or holding midfielder next to Fabregas who seems to drop deeper as well while Kante was given more freedom to roam as a box to box.

I thought Conte was spot on with 352 against Atl Madrid. Atl Madrid likes to play counter against big team so I'm not surprised Chelsea took control of the midfield. And Chelsea 3 man midfield with two wing back nullify the Atl Madrid midfield & wide players. Hazard was class as well in that game. But Atl Madrid was unfortunate not to get the 2nd goal before the half time. Hazard was unfortunate to hit the post so there is a bit of luck there for Atl Madrid but Saul missed a shitters which should have been 95% a goal IMO.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Have to remember that stats rarely paint the full picture. Metrics such as tackles, interceptions, etcetera, are often heavily reliant on the way the teams set up, and players of equal skill in similar positions can as a result have very different statistics. What's more important is how they fulfil their role in the team, and on that account I don't think neither Man Utd fans nor Chelsea fans will feel disappointed. If I've understood correctly Matic has regained some of his old form in this slightly deeper midfield role, while Bakayoko has been this very dynamic central midfielder we were hoping for, driving through the opponent's midfield.

Very much agree with you on Bakayoko losing possession a bit too much. It hasn't been uncommon that when he has received a horizontal pass from Alonso, the midfielder or forward on his blind side has been able to close the distance without him noticing and intercept the ball, sometimes leading to our defense being run at. A relatively simple fix would be to tell him to always throw a quick glance over his shoulder to be aware of what's going on behind him (a strong trait of Mikel, which was one of the reason he rarely lost possession). He has received many plaudits and deservedly so, but can definitely improve as well, which I'm looking forward to.
Completely agree. My point in posting it was more just to people who wrote him off completely and said we were idiots and had downgraded, well considering he's 22 (I Think) and you can see he is still adapting to the league and learning. Yet at what should be his learning period he is still performing as well if not better than Matic.

Just justifies Conte's decision really and shows you Bakas talent that at the moment we are more than happy with him, yet you can see he is going to develop a lot.

Also physically what a beast!

AshfordLad

Completely agree. My point in posting it was more just to people who wrote him off completely and said we were idiots and had downgraded, well considering he's 22 (I Think) and you can see he is still adapting to the league and learning. Yet at what should be his learning period he is still performing as well if not better than Matic.

Just justifies Conte's decision really and shows you Bakas talent that at the moment we are more than happy with him, yet you can see he is going to develop a lot.

Also physically what a beast!
Have never seen such a versatile CM in a Chelsea shirt since Essien. While I still think we should have purchased a more readymade player, I love how the board are shaping up a young squad with such versatile players.

RLC and Baka can be the new Essien and Ballack.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Have never seen such a versatile CM in a Chelsea shirt since Essien. While I still think we should have purchased a more readymade player, I love how the board are shaping up a young squad with such versatile players.

RLC and Baka can be the new Essien and Ballack.
I still can't believe there was (and still are) rumors of Barkley signing when RLC is far better than him :nono:

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
I still can't believe there was (and still are) rumors of Barkley signing when RLC is far better than him :nono:
Rumours? He was having a fecking medical with you and ran away :lol:

AshfordLad

Yes I don't see the need to sign Barkley either. Though I still think he is a good player but Lewis Baker is very similar to Barkley and two years younger. Much rather have Baker in the squad rather than him.

gibers

Chelsea have the best team for me in the league. Bakoyoko is better than Matic both positionally and technically, he's better up the pitch. Morata fits Conte's tactics like a glove and Hazard is the closest player to Lionel Messi we have in the EPL. They are just so compact and they are incredible on the counter. I think they are favourites for the match against City and the title.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Chelsea have the best team for me in the league. Bakoyoko is better than Matic both positionally and technically, he's better up the pitch. Morata fits Conte's tactics like a glove and Hazard is the closest player to Lionel Messi we have in the EPL. They are just so compact and they are incredible on the counter. I think they are favourites for the match against City and the title.
The grass is always greener on the other side

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The Spanish media are the queens of over reaction and that is saying something when I'm judging them against the English media. It was a commanding performance but nothing near the best performance of an English team.

Didn't the dippers maul Real Madrid 5-0 some time in the last 10 years. Also, I think the best away performance by an English team in Europe is Arsenal's 5-1 win at San Siro hands down.
If you have to go back 15 years for an example, then it really was an especial performance.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Chelsea's defensive masterclass at the Nao Camp should be up there.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Also, I think the best away performance by an English team in Europe is Arsenal's 5-1 win at San Siro hands down.
Inter were a complete irrelevance at that point. It was a great result but slightly overrated based on the name of the opposition.

Raw

Midweek games are going to impact them greatly. I wonder how they'll cope without Morata, Batshuayi really doesn't look good enough to start games.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Costa and Matic's departures will not be offset or improved upon by Morata and Bakayoko's arrivals. Huge gamble by Conte and it looks like it won't pay off for him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Well well well.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This was already a hilariously stupid post with the Bakayoko 'better than Matic positionally and technically' soundbite. But the timing is just delicious.

I wouldn't judge a team on one game because Chelsea are a very good side by my estimation, but your assessment of Bakayoko is preposterous. He's not even in the same league as Matic positionally, or technically. He has other qualities, but those are not the defining ones.

Plus, Hazard has perennially been a big game bottler, who is a great dribbler but has an appalling goal output for someone of his talent. How in earth that makes him the PL Messi, is beyond me.

Have a word with yourself.

Irrational.

For a so-called world class player, Hazard sure likes to choke on the big stage. Absolutely anonymous today. Lacked courage to take his man on or take the game by the scruff of the neck.

KdB > Hazard. Works infinitely harder on the pitch, too.

Robbie Boy

They were lucky as feck against Spurs who should have easily beaten them and they weren't up to much against Arsenal either. I don't think they're all that.

salford_

They were lucky as feck against Spurs who should have easily beaten them and they weren't up to much against Arsenal either. I don't think they're all that.
of course theyre a good side. they lost neither of those games and came away with 4pts. They have just battered atletico too. Today they came up against a better side on the night. it happens.

Same happened to liverpool, they looked decent until playing city and got dismantled due to being with 10 men. dont mean theyre suddenly shit though

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Why not start Moses? Azpi at CB is a good passing outlet.
Everything about their set up was wrong.

City looked most vulnerable down their left, so reducing their threat from that side was ridiculous. Much better of Azpi at RCB and Moses or Zappacosta wide right.

Plus the midfield was at sixes and sevens. Half the time Kante was chasing into that inside left channel, when he should have been in the center aggressively closing down KDB and Silva. Bakayoko was just nonsense, and Fabregas often was the deepest midfielder, hence the inability to link attacks. He also did have the legs or positional sense to track KBD for the goal. Which, although a great strike, was just a simple fecking one-two ffs, with all three midfielders in no-man's land.

Horrible set up today.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ordinary. Thin squad too. Theyll be fecked in the new year.

Robbie Boy

of course theyre a good side. they lost neither of those games and came away with 4pts. They have just battered atletico too. Today they came up against a better side on the night. it happens.

Same happened to liverpool, they looked decent until playing city and got dismantled due to being with 10 men. dont mean theyre suddenly shit though
Errrrrr..... of course they're good. I said I don't think they're "all that" and I'll stick to that opinion. They're good, but they have plenty of frailties.

salford_

Errrrrr..... of course they're good. I said I don't think they're "all that" and I'll stick to that opinion. They're good, but they have plenty of frailties.
name me a team without them. Theyll be top 3, behind city and utd i suspect

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Very poor today I thought.

Morata will be a huge loss if he's out for a while
Surely looked more of a precautionary one. Seemed to walk off ok enough.
Would be surprised if he's not playing their next game, although if he isn't, with Hazard nowhere near his top form, they're not looking that good at all

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Battered them 2-1 with a 94th min winner?