Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Djemba-Djemba

Surely looked more of a precautionary one. Seemed to walk off ok enough.
Would be surprised if he's not playing their next game, although if he isn't, with Hazard nowhere near his top form, they're not looking that good at all
Pogba walked off against Basel and yet look at how long he's rumoured to be out for.

Maybe it was just to be careful, but yeah they'll be a much weaker side without him.

Bojan11

They miss Costa in the big games. He usually bagged a goal.

Plus without Moses they have no pace down the right.

salford_

You seem to have a bit of thing for them and Kante, it's odd. I don't know if they'll get top 3, to be honest. I haven't been overly impressed.
you're just coming out with tripe, based on one game. You clearly hate them but steady on a bit.

Its not having a thing for them, its thinking rationally and not overreacting

ti vu

There ain't that many big games. Chelsea would still be able to do well in other matches to get back in the mix. It's September. I think people are going OTT after this performance. A season is long and Chelsea had every chance to improve over the course of it. Remember Hazard just only came back and yet to be in top form. They probably won't find it as easy as last season though.

Robbie Boy

city have just battered Chelsea 1-0 then if thats your point

they did to atletico what city did tonight
City did batter them yes. City had 14 shots to Chelsea's 4 and 62% possession. Chelsea had 15 shots to Atleticos 11 and 51% possession. Big difference.

Robbie Boy

you're just coming out with tripe, based on one game. You clearly hate them but steady on a bit.

Its not having a thing for them, its thinking rationally and not overreacting
Nah you took umbrage with me saying I don't think they're "all that" and I remember you in the Kante thread last season lauding him at every opportunity. Yeah I'll happily admit I detest them. They're good, far from great and had it far too easy last season with us and City in transition.

Robbie Boy

There ain't that many big games. Chelsea would still be able to do well in other matches to get back in the mix. It's September. I think people are going OTT after this performance. A season is long and Chelsea had every chance to improve over the course of it. Remember Hazard just only came back and yet to be in top form. They probably won't find it as easy as last season though.
Hardly a mental reaction. Did you see the reaction on here when we drew to Stoke!

salford_

Nah you took umbrage with me saying I don't think they're "all that" and I remember you in the Kante thread last season lauding him at every opportunity. Yeah I'll happily admit I detest them. They're good, far from great and had it far too easy last season with us and City in transition.
because Kante, as with leicester, is very good. Everyone knows he is limited but at what he does, not many better. Its that simple. If id asked you when he was at leicester would you sign him youd have snapped my hand off. And dont say you wouldnt. He was also excellent last year and has been this, he is far from "shit" or whatever.

Last season was also Conte's first season, as Pep's and Jose's here. They were all in transition but yah ok

FromTheBench

Chelsea players don't want it enough this year in the PL. The intensity was missing today, even when they were chasing and their players were smiling towards the end too much as if losing one was acceptable and not a life and death thing.

Plus they haven't really improved their team.

Think they will end up concentrating on the CL.

FromTheBench

To me it seems again a case of their players losing that extra motivation after winning the PL. happened in Mourinho's 3rd season as well. Though it isn't that bad but that extra fight doesn't seem there.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Chelsea players don't want it enough this year in the PL. The intensity was missing today, even when they were chasing and their players were smiling towards the end too much as if losing one was acceptable and not a life and death thing.

Plus they haven't really improved their team.

Think they will end up concentrating on the CL.
If they don't watch out they might see one of Arsenal/Liverpool overtaking them in the league. I think Spurs (because of their defence and Kane), City and United are nailed for top 4.

Robbie Boy

because Kante, as with leicester, is very good. Everyone knows he is limited but at what he does, not many better. Its that simple. If id asked you when he was at leicester would you sign him youd have snapped my hand off. And dont say you wouldnt. He was also excellent last year and has been this, he is far from "shit" or whatever.

Last season was also Conte's first season, as Pep's and Jose's here. They were all in transition but yah ok
No I wouldn't have taken Kante, he's not my style of footballer. He was great for Leicester but so was Wes Morgan.

Aye it clicked for Conte when he changed formation and he was rather fortunate to stumble upon it as they were struggling. Pep and Mourinho found it more difficult. But eh the evidence is clear that both Pep and Mourinho have massively improved their teams from last season. If you don't think Chelsea had it far too easy then I'm baffled. Actually City were ahead of them in the league when the two met early last season, KDB missed a sitter and Chelsea went on to win the game. They were so lucky that day and I feel it was a huge moment for both clubs and how their seasons went.

Let's also pretend that both us and City didn't have a hectic European schedule last season whereas Chelsea had none. As I said, if you don't believe Chelsea had far too much of an easy run at the title last season, then I'm lost for words.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If they don't watch out they might see one of Arsenal/Liverpool overtaking them in the league. I think Spurs (because of their defence and Kane), City and United are nailed for top 4.
I can not see Arsenal or Liverpool finishing ahead of Chelsea.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pogba walked off against Basel and yet look at how long he's rumoured to be out for.

Maybe it was just to be careful, but yeah they'll be a much weaker side without him.
Yeah good point.
I suppose one bad sign was that he knew immediately he needed to go off, and didn't even bother with the theatrics/time wasting laying down business.
Will be interesting. While you don't want a player to be injured, it's good to see Chelsea aren't having the near perfect conditions they had last year with lack of games, rivals messing up, and being able to field their top boys most weeks.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a big blow losing today, but we shouldn't go overboard. It'd be unthinkable to see them drop out of the top 4 altogether.

Robbie Boy

It's a big blow losing today, but we shouldn't go overboard. It'd be unthinkable to see them drop out of the top 4 altogether.
Aye don't think there's a hope they'll drop out of the top four. They're good but I don't think they're that good. I would go with them finishing third.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Amazing how in the space of 24 hours we've gone from 'looking like champions' to 'will they hold on to the top 4'.. :lol:

ti vu

To me it seems again a case of their players losing that extra motivation after winning the PL. happened in Mourinho's 3rd season as well. Though it isn't that bad but that extra fight doesn't seem there.
I won't say I disagree, but I think it's difficult to pin point a single reason. Playing in Europe can tax too. Players missing through injury and suspension here and there preventing them to gel consistently as a team can also be a problem. The change in dynamism with new players...

My point is Chelsea is still a strong team that can change over the course of the season for good and for bad. One big games ain't telling the story of the season. Same thing goes to City and us.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You're not a fan of Kante then? I'm surprised you've not mentioned it before.
:lol: Bravo.

Some of his posts.... I'm sure he needs to wipe the froth from the corners of his mouth between visits to the keyboard.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Amazing how in the space of 24 hours we've gone from 'looking like champions' to 'will they hold on to the top 4'.. :lol:
It's rather rare for top teams to lose twice at home this early in the season and even Arsenal were the better team at Stamford Bridge.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's the classic knee jerkery that you get on forums.

I'd be a little worried if I was a Chelsea fan though, as although many predicted that it'd be a much harder season with the Manchester clubs revitalised, having Europe to contend with, and unlikely that you'd be able to select your best team as often as last year, I think many Chelsea fans were blaze about that.

If Morata is out for any sort of time it's a big blow. Your own manager clearly doesn't fancy your other striker, bringing Willian on instead and putting Hazard up front instead. And Hazard himself is only just back, so not on top form.

Early days still though.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I know Batshuayi isn't great but surely he should've been subbed in for Morata? I thought Chelsea started well but that Morata injury took the game away from them. Kante's positioning was also weird, he was playing ahead of Fabregas.

SirAF

Ageist
The thing I’d hold onto if I were a Chelsea fan (ugh) is that they have navigated a few difficult matches by now.

Djemba-Djemba

I know Batshuayi isn't great but surely he should've been subbed in for Morata? I thought Chelsea started well but that Morata injury took the game away from them. Kante's positioning was also weird, he was playing ahead of Fabregas.
Did Conte buy Batshuayi?

He doesn't seem to rate him much

Bojan11

The thing I’d hold onto if I were a Chelsea fan (ugh) is that they have navigated a few difficult matches by now.
Yeah and they were in a far worse position last season. They were getting embarrassed by Arsenal and Liverpool.

They still key title contenders and one result doesn't change that.

Robbie Boy

You're not a fan of Kante then? I'm surprised you've not mentioned it before.
He's a good player, just an overrated one, it happens. I've thought plenty of United players have been overrated down the years. He's not my cup of tea but he's obviously talented and on his day, he's very effective.

ti vu

As others pointed out: Bats is not that great at leading the line. Someone like Morata playing the whole game would be restricted with time on ball, let alone Bats whose best ability is restricted in final third.

It's Kante's position/role to do so. It was Matic who covered the defensive line. It's strange that Cesc was used in this role though. Drinkwater may not be top class, but for this role, he might have fared better.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Really should have pushed harder for Llorente.

Didn't Conte coach him at Juve? You would think would have been a draw.
I agree with that for sure. Everything seemed to point to the transfer going though. Managed him before, player happy to sit on the bench, fits the role required.

Maybe Spurs' bench looked a lot comfier than ours.

ti vu

Really should have pushed harder for Llorente.

Didn't Conte coach him at Juve? You would think would have been a draw.
It ends up in circle with the point that Chelsea head coach doesn't have full power in transfer policy. Chelsea showed interest, but not sure how strong the board pushed for Llorente.

I agree with that for sure. Everything seemed to point to the transfer going though. Managed him before, player happy to sit on the bench, fits the role required.

Maybe Spurs' bench looked a lot comfier than ours.
Sure will. Their new stadium would let him watch NFL live from the bench unlike your new stadium...

On serious note, Tottenham more likely gives him more chance given he is a completely different profile of player than they have. They would call upon him whenever their game A game didn't go smoothly. At Chelsea, you can't predict when Morata gets injured. Morata has sufficient amount of same attributes as Llorente, thus Llorente would be more restricted with game time. Chelsea would try to use different profile of player if they need an impact sub. Llorente would need to feed on Morata's resting games.

Last edited: