Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

MrPooni

Between that and this:

...he's clearly lost the dressing room. Naturally the press will focus on the imaginary feud between Jose and Pogba and let this stuff slide until his inevitable sacking.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Chelsea youth set up has not been the problem. The problem is they can't get into the first team given the demand for result. Christensen has been doing well this season, but more often than not Chelsea academy ain't getting enough chances.

Seeing club spend money on squad players while youth set up doing so well but given no chance is very gloomy from United fan's perspective
Opportunities for first team minutes is part of any youth set-up, so yes Chelsea does have youth team set-up problem.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Between that and this:

...he's clearly lost the dressing room. Naturally the press will focus on the imaginary feud between Jose and Pogba and let this stuff slide until his inevitable sacking.
He’s been sacked about 8 times and he’s lost the dressing room about 12 times this season, so I’m not quite sure you have it right yet.

Sanche7

Not all doom and gloom at the club. The U18s are in the FA youth cup semi final after beating Fulham 6-0 tonight.

If we win it this season it will be 5 in a row. That'll tie a record currently held by Manchester United in the 50s. Not bad company to be in!
Chelsea fans do love those stats don't they.
'We have the best academy, we have won youth fa cup a zillion times, we have 30 kids on loan'

But does any of that really matter unless you are actually bringing a few kids through to first team? You can brag all you want about your facilities and trophies but as Neville says Manchester United will always play the young ones

IIRC there was this super talented group that won the UEFA youth league or something.The team had Solanke, Izzy Brown, Lewis Baker, Munsonda, RLC and others.I remember my Chelsea supporting friend bragging about the insane amount of talent in that group.'We won't need to buy anyone' he said, even Mourinho said he expected many of them to be in the first team soon.
After that Chelsea has needed FBs, CMs Forwards, but no real effort was put into integrating those clearly talented youngsters
Even after two years, none of them have made any sort of impact on the first team and don't look like they will anytime soon.Another one was Jamaal Blackman, I recently read he was sent out on loan.

As a United fan, I get exited seeing our academy graduates play well or when they get promoted to first team.A young guy playing well excites me more than a galactico.And I'm proud that even in the hardest of times my club has still promoted many youth players and bought young players like Martial, Shaw, Depay, Bailly .

Genuinely do you care that the youth team is winning all these trophies when only very very few of those guys get promoted to first team.I remember a chelsea right back youth player and the excitement my friend had whenever he would talk about him.But despite having no proper cover at RB, he was loaned off last year.My friend was very disappointed as he was hoping to see that guy in action playing for Chelsea.So again, does it really matter if all they are items for sale so that the club can make some money.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I really don't think his philosophy is as bad as it was made to look over here.
I think things would have been a lot better for us if we had quicker attackers under him.
Don't think he'd win the league with Chelsea but would expect them to perform a lot better than we did under him.
LVG's philosophy in itself was decent. He was an improvement on Moyes as at least LVG knew what he wanted to do with the team.

The problem of course was that LVG:

1) wasn't able to get our current players to function under that plan
2) proved unable to purchase the right players to be able to make that change (despite strong backing from Woody)
3) once it was obvious his philosophy wasn't working, had no idea (or even intention) in trying other tactics to get success

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans do love those stats don't they.
'We have the best academy, we have won youth fa cup a zillion times, we have 30 kids on loan'

But does any of that really matter unless you are actually bringing a few kids through to first team? You can brag all you want about your facilities and trophies but as Neville says Manchester United will always play the young ones

IIRC there was this super talented group that won the UEFA youth league or something.The team had Solanke, Izzy Brown, Lewis Baker, Munsonda, RLC and others.I remember my Chelsea supporting friend bragging about the insane amount of talent in that group.'We won't need to buy anyone' he said, even Mourinho said he expected many of them to be in the first team soon.
After that Chelsea has needed FBs, CMs Forwards, but no real effort was put into integrating those clearly talented youngsters
Even after two years, none of them have made any sort of impact on the first team and don't look like they will anytime soon.Another one was Jamaal Blackman, I recently read he was sent out on loan.

As a United fan, I get exited seeing our academy graduates play well or when they get promoted to first team.A young guy playing well excites me more than a galactico.And I'm proud that even in the hardest of times my club has still promoted many youth players and bought young players like Martial, Shaw, Depay, Bailly .

Genuinely do you care that the youth team is winning all these trophies when only very very few of those guys get promoted to first team.I remember a chelsea right back youth player and the excitement my friend had whenever he would talk about him.But despite having no proper cover at RB, he was loaned off last year.My friend was very disappointed as he was hoping to see that guy in action playing for Chelsea.So again, does it really matter if all they are items for sale so that the club can make some money.
Youth team > successful loan(s) > welcome to the squad. No one has had successful loans except Bamford, Abraham, and Christensen. Bamford and Abraham both went from Championship to PL. Christensen was in the Bundesliga and I believe got European experience along with winning some individual awards.

With the way the club is going and spending being tightened, I do enjoy the academy’s success. Having watched all those players you named, I want them to succeed and feel a bit closer to someone like Christensen or Hudson-Odoi because I’ve watched them play in front of no one. Especially when my friends ask who they are and why they’re playing for Chelsea.

el3mel

Between that and this:

Oh, Hazard the hypocrite. I have always said that when some bring his quotes about Jose and Conte comparisons. He changes his words according the situation.

ti vu

Opportunities for first team minutes is part of any youth set-up, so yes Chelsea does have youth team set-up problem.
I don't follow. Let say your router is old and can't support newest tech. You have one of the fastest broadband speed, but in the end still suffer from lower internet speed. Would you blame the ISP? The IPS can't magically get you more speed.

Member 90887

Conte again:

Conte: "Club must show ambition, not me"

The Chelsea head coach has accepted a top-four finish is now the primary objective, but directed reporters elsewhere when quizzed on whether that will remain the top target in future years.

"I don't know," said Conte. "This is not a question for me, about the ambition.

"The club has to show the ambition, not the coach. The coach has to work every day very hard but the club has to show the ambition."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...b-ahead-of-facing-unstoppable-manchester-city

el3mel

He hasn't stopped attacking the board all season now. Don't think any other Chelsea manager went this far before.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Can't speak for Chelsea fans, but this is getting a bit too much. He can't blame the board for everything. Surely it doesn't take City's levels of spending to beat Bournemouth and Watford, and atleast keep Hazard on the pitch against us?
Right, because no other big clubs have had a run of bad results before. Criticize one of his subs when the player wasn’t doing anything. I think your bias is showing.

I love it. Whether he knows he’s done after the season or actually putting pressure on them to improve his team, he’s trying to set the tone for the summer regardless who’s manager.

vangagal

I think that his way to saying he's done in Chelsea. Not even Mourinho get away with those critics to Chelsea's board. He's good coach, but he demand support like Pep's City one, something Roman cant do these days.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I think he is trying to get himself sacked
Looks that way. Doubt RA will suddenly bow to his demands and hand him City/United money. Still no reason for Chelsea fans to be concerned, they've had a decade of unprecedented success thanks to an oligarch. If said oligarch wants to run the club more sustainably it's his prerogative. It's not like they've been completely short changed either.
Still can't believe they offloaded Oscar for circa 60 mill?

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
This is exactly why Maurizio Sarri is being seriously considered.

Sarri says he just "rolls with it".

He said, “A lot of hard work and enthusiasm of the fans remains. I'm satisfied with the attitude of the lads," the Coach said at a Press conference.

“We've working like we always have, with lots of rhythm. Friendlies give absolutely no answers at this stage as they're used to put minutes in the players' legs.

“The transfer market? Napoli isn't my club but (president Aurelio) De Laurentiis'. He's the one who makes decisions for the club, I just roll with it.

“I don't have any special requests, they'll give me a squad and I'll coach that squad."

He also said this previously:

He stated: “I don’t want to get involved. Sometimes players arrive who I don’t even know, and that’s fine, because I trust (director of sport Cristiano) Giuntoli.

“My job is to improve the players at my disposal. It’s not my job to ask for players worth €100m each, because that would be too easy. It’s not my job.”

Sounds ideal. I love Conte, but when he inevitably leaves at the end of the season we need to replace with someone who isn't going to moan about transfers because I doubt we are going to start spending as big for a while.

Last edited:

Peanut Butter

Right, because no other big clubs have had a run of bad results before. Criticize one of his subs when the player wasn’t doing anything. I think your bias is showing.

I love it. Whether he knows he’s done after the season or actually putting pressure on them to improve his team, he’s trying to set the tone for the summer regardless who’s manager.
Yeah, all rival fans are too. Conte's ramblings aren't going to change Roman's mind. He's bored throwing millions at you lot these days.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, all rival fans are too. Conte's ramblings aren't going to change Roman's mind. He's bored throwing millions at you lot these days.
At least Conte’s trying to change their minds. Someone has to confront them on all their awful purchases the last couple of years.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
For Conte, though, leaving without a Champions League spot would nonetheless be a defeat hard to swallow.

singabiru

Supports
Chelsea
This is exactly why Maurizio Sarri is being seriously considered.

Sarri says he just "rolls with it".

He said, “A lot of hard work and enthusiasm of the fans remains. I'm satisfied with the attitude of the lads," the Coach said at a Press conference.

“We've working like we always have, with lots of rhythm. Friendlies give absolutely no answers at this stage as they're used to put minutes in the players' legs.

“The transfer market? Napoli isn't my club but (president Aurelio) De Laurentiis'. He's the one who makes decisions for the club, I just roll with it.

“I don't have any special requests, they'll give me a squad and I'll coach that squad."

He also said this previously:

He stated: “I don’t want to get involved. Sometimes players arrive who I don’t even know, and that’s fine, because I trust (director of sport Cristiano) Giuntoli.

“My job is to improve the players at my disposal. It’s not my job to ask for players worth €100m each, because that would be too easy. It’s not my job.”

Sounds ideal. I love Conte, but when he inevitably leaves at the end of the season we need to replace with someone who isn't going to moan about transfers because I doubt we are going to start spending as big for a while.
Whoever assumes the Chelsea head coach role will moan regardless as Roman insists on trophies while bang average players are signed.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Whoever assumes the Chelsea head coach role will moan regardless as Roman insists on trophies while bang average players are signed.
In fairness Roman has generally got it right. 2 of the last 3 titles, 5 since 04/05, the CL, the EL, numerous cups. In fairness we should have won the CL in 05 and were a penalty away in 08.

Our squad is decent. Good enough for top 4 and CL quater finals anyway. Morata and Baka may not make it in England but are quality and will show it for other European teams again in future, if not us.

singabiru

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness Roman has generally got it right. 2 of the last 3 titles, 5 since 04/05, the CL, the EL, numerous cups. In fairness we should have won the CL in 05 and were a penalty away in 08.

Our squad is decent. Good enough for top 4 and CL quater finals anyway. Morata and Baka may not make it in England but are quality and will show it for other European teams again in future, if not us.
The clamp down on transfer spending became significant after 2015 hence we can ignore the club’s achievements prior to that year.

Mourinho won the title in 2015 because the club bought smartly and brought in top class first team players. Conte won the title due to his ability as a coach despite being poorly backed by Roman. Let’s not forget the likes of Hector, Miazga and the infamous Djilobdoji were bought before Conte was hired by Roman. The club’s propensity to look for cheap and shite players are not the designs of any head coach despite what some idiots claim by insisting that Conte is the reason that Bakayoko and Drinkwater were signed.

Roman needs to adjust his expectations immediately by being patient with top quality coaches like Conte and not by insisting on trophies and titles which is the trigger point that has caused Conte to raise player transfer concerns more than once.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
The clamp down on transfer spending became significant after 2015 hence we can ignore the club’s achievements prior to that year.

Mourinho won the title in 2015 because the club bought smartly and brought in top class first team players. Conte won the title due to his ability as a coach despite being poorly backed by Roman. Let’s not forget the likes of Hector, Miazga and the infamous Djilobdoji were bought before Conte was hired by Roman. The club’s propensity to look for cheap and shite players are not the designs of any head coach despite what some idiots claim by insisting that Conte is the reason that Bakayoko and Drinkwater were signed.

Roman needs to adjust his expectations immediately by being patient with top quality coaches like Conte and not by insisting on trophies and titles which is the trigger point that has caused Conte to raise player transfer concerns more than once.
What is this nonsense? Do you really believe this shit? He is a poor man's Mourinho, a freaking crybaby that's what he is, the one player that left Chelsea in January cause he was considered shit he is doing wonders now at Dortmund, not anyone's fault he can't utilise and control his players, he got tactically outclassed and ripped apart by Jose last week and he will get demolished Barca in a few days, and then he can say goodbye, for Chelsea's sake of course.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

As much as it disgust me to say, roman method of chopping anyone he deems not performing is bearing fruits.

Compared to giving manager Faith and time like arsenal.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
What is this nonsense? Do you really believe this shit? He is a poor man's Mourinho, a freaking crybaby that's what he is, the one player that left Chelsea in January cause he was considered shit he is doing wonders now at Dortmund, not anyone's fault he can't utilise and control his players, he got tactically outclassed and ripped apart by Jose last week and he will get demolished Barca in a few days, and then he can say goodbye, for Chelsea's sake of course.
Tactially outclassed and ripped apart :houllier: what game were you watching? Btw I dare you to show me anything of Michy that warrants him getting playing time except for the minutes he was already getting against the likes of Norwich.

POF

Chelsea's transfer business is bizarre. After Jose won the league in his second season of his second spell they looked set for an era of absolute dominance.

Then came an utter shit show in the transfer market. Wheels come off, manager leaves. On to the next coach, spend some money, win the title, fail to invest for the following season, rinse and repeat.

It just seems like they would be better to invest while they are champions to cement that position rather than failing to back a successful coach to the extent that his position is untenable the season after they won the league.

singabiru

Supports
Chelsea
The only shite here is the stuff you wrote above. Ripped apart by Mourinho? A poor man's Mourinho? Go and watch proper footy before running your mouth off here.

Denis' cuff

The only shite here is the stuff you wrote above. Ripped apart by Mourinho? A poor man's Mourinho? Go and watch proper footy before running your mouth off here.

...said a Chav$ki fan on a United forum. Suggest you take your own advice.

Jose was your most successful manager in your almost barren history and even trophies won without him are largely due to the foundations he laid.

singabiru

Supports
Chelsea
...said a Chav$ki fan on a United forum. Suggest you take your own advice.

Jose was your most successful manager in your almost barren history and even trophies won without him are largely due to the foundations he laid.
Suggest you read your own postings before going off tangent. Chavski? Got a sore point with them? When did I run down Mourinho’s achievements with Chelsea? He always have my respect.

Pagh Wraith

What a bizarre post. Chelsea were the better side in both the Barcelona and Man United games.

AshRK

What a bizarre post. Chelsea were the better side in both the Barcelona and Man United games.
Chelsea were the better side in first half against us but second we absolutely the better side. SO yes we did not batter them and neither were they the better side.

Kapardin

Chelsea were the better side in first half against us but second we absolutely the better side. SO yes we did not batter them and neither were they the better side.
I think last season at OT we were tactically superior. This season's game, it was almost evens with the more opportunistic team winning. It is unfair to say either Chelsea or ourselves were tactically or personnel-wise superior to the other.

First half, they had the edge. We were better in the second as you say.