Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Why has Roman withdrawn funds for the club?
We are in the process of building a new stadium, this is going to cost us a shed load of money. The plan since the beginning of Romans takeover was us to be become a self sufficient club

While we won't be blowing everyone out of the water in terms of spending we are still capable of spending large sums of money. We've spent over 350 million in the last two seasons on new players
The problem is a lot of that money has been spent on crap and we've barely improved our first 11. Out of that money spent Kante is probably the only player that you could consider elite

Also in those last two seasons we've struggled to buy our first choice targets and ended up with 4th and 5th choice targets, we've ended up panic buying and not signing players until the last hours of the transfer window. We've loaned out or sold promising young players and spent big money on average players like Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Barkley and Zappacosta to replace them

The main problem at Chelsea right now isn't Roman tightening the purse strings and it isn't Conte. The main problem is the transfer committee. 250 million spent and we haven't even improved our first 11.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Sure seems to have been a rethink of the transfer food chain recently at Chelsea, might as well try for Willian in the summer whilst they're in this frame of mind, could throw in Mata to help them justify it.
Seems unlikely, but in this crazy world of eccentric batshit owners, you just might have something there. May suit someone to have a healthy bank balance at the club.

Eire Red United

Surely they just have to look over at Arsenal and see what happens when you consistently buy poor quality players year after year.
Wouldn’t say they’re poor, they’re more just ok, or “that’ll do” (Liverpool level) rather than good to excellent (us/City)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
LVG would be really a good appointment for chelsea. Unlike us, they have the foundations he need. 3 brilliant ball playing CBs, 2 players who is very much into his philosophy, a worldclass player who can turn things on his own and a striker who can play with his 'back to goal'. Ofcourse not mentioning the young talents out there .

Still remember the day when McNair started and me thinking who the heck is he. :drool:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Because we were utterly pathetic in the first half not because Chelsea were good whatsoever.
Thats neither here nor there, if Lukaku's goal was a goal to pull it back to 3-1 instead of a leveller you could have had no complaints whatsoever.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
The problem with this though, is that a lot of Chelsea fans were justifying the sale of Matic to United with the signing of Baka. Many fans and people in the media were portraying Baka as the ready-made replacement for Matic, and some even said it would be an upgrade. Now 6 months on and he's being called out as a weak link and you're suggesting he may need a loan/sale like Matic did to be ready. If that was the case, then why not keep Matic for another 2 years when it's clear he's right at his peak? Although I'm pretty sure that Conte didn't sanction the sale of Matic.

It just seems to me looking from the outside that Chelsea are happy to auction off their players and replace them with whoever is available in the market?
Conte didn’t sanction it, Roman did. He granted his wish to leave, much like Cech to Arsenal and Mata to United.

singabiru

Supports
Chelsea
I love that people keep saying Roman hasn't tightened the purse because we've spent X amount and that's it. We're only spending because we're selling and it's been like that for almost 4 seasons now.
Roman most certainly has held back on spending - hes not putting in extra pennies as all transfers are largely self-funded by the sale of players.

This summer will be a crunch time for the club as it has run out of youngsters to sell and only the likes of Hazard, Willian and Courtouis are bankable assets.

With the club likely to miss out on the Champions League, I can see Hazard being sold and a sub-standard player replacing him. The incoming new coach doesn't matter as whoever takes the job will have a hell of a task and won't last past 6 months anyway. There's nobody out there who can do a better job than Conte with the players he has and working with an austere budget.

Reactions: Fortitude

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Roman most certainly has held back on spending - hes not putting in extra pennies as all transfers are largely self-funded by the sale of players.

This summer will be a crunch time for the club as it has run out of youngsters to sell and only the likes of Hazard, Willian and Courtouis are bankable assets.

With the club likely to miss out on the Champions League, I can see Hazard being sold and a sub-standard player replacing him. The incoming new coach doesn't matter as whoever takes the job will have a hell of a task and won't last past 6 months anyway. There's nobody out there who can do a better job than Conte with the players he has and working with an austere budget.
And the Arsenalifcation/Liverpoolification will be complete. Can’t wait!

Robbie Boy

Thats neither here nor there, if Lukaku's goal was a goal to pull it back to 3-1 instead of a leveller you could have had no complaints whatsoever.
:lol:

Righteo. If you're using that first half as a barometer to say you's looked impressive then I'm lost for words. Make no mistake, we were pathetic in that first half and were there for the taking. You's made an absolute mess of it, especially with Morata leading the line.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

Righteo. If you're using that first half as a barometer to say you's looked impressive then I'm lost for words. Make no mistake, we were pathetic in that first half and were there for the taking. You's made an absolute mess of it, especially with Morata leading the line.
We weren't anywhere near our best but still could, should and if it weren't for Victor Moses possibly would have be 3 up.

I'm not going to claim we deserved anything because I'd sound like you lot after every home draw you had last season, you took your chances we didn't so you deserved the points, however the equaliser came at the best possible time for you and it changed the whole context of a match that upto that point we had total control over.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We weren't anywhere near our best but still could, should and if it weren't for Victor Moses possibly would have be 3 up.

I'm not going to claim we deserved anything because I'd sound like you lot after every home draw you had last season, you took your chances we didn't so you deserved the points, however the equaliser came at the best possible time for you and it changed the whole context of a match that upto that point we had total control over.
No you absolutely wouldn't have been. You're hypothesizing that every attack of yours would've resulted in a goal, that's not the case. By that logic, Sanchez should've scored the first goal had he sorted the feet out. We can keep on adding the goals in the scoreline.

Robbie Boy

Extremely specious reasoning.

AshRK

Conte is getting a lot of free pass. Yes he might not have got his first choice player's but still have a PL winning squad. He should have stopped.moaning and whining. His moaning and whining has been a big reason for them going from 3rd to 5th. I hate when managers do that and act unprofessional. Conte is a top coach but he must take most of the blame if chelsea finish outside top 4.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Conte is getting a lot of free pass. Yes he might not have got his first choice player's but still have a PL winning squad. He should have stopped.moaning and whining. His moaning and whining has been a big reason for them going from 3rd to 5th. I hate when managers do that and act unprofessional. Conte is a top coach but he must take most of the blame if chelsea finish outside top 4.
I think he does have a valid axe to grind with Chelsea's board, did he get any of his first choice signings? I don't think he got one. A title winning squad that lost 2 big components and were not adequately replaced. They added plenty of bodies but none with outstanding quality to push the first 11 to up their game, at best they've gone sideways and that in this game is as good as going backwards. His way of dealing with it doesn't seem to be the best policy, he should've kept it behind closed doors. It has in part contributed to the poor form and might well cost them Champions League football next season.

Is he blameless in Chelsea's current plight? No but his reasoning is valid.

Kapardin

I think he does have a valid axe to grind with Chelsea's board, did he get any of his first choice signings? I don't think he got one. A title winning squad that lost 2 big components and were not adequately replaced. They added plenty of bodies but none with outstanding quality to push the first 11 to up their game, at best they've gone sideways and that in this game is as good as going backwards. His way of dealing with it doesn't seem to be the best policy, he should've kept it behind closed doors. It has in part contributed to the poor form and might well cost them Champions League football next season.

He wanted Lukaku, Bonucci, Sandro and possibly Sanchez. Fair play to him, Chelsea would be on another level with those signings.

But a manager has to make the best of it. Chelsea don't have the best squad in the league, but I'd say they can make 4th or 3rd with the right tactics. Likes of Drinkwater, Barkley, Morata or Giroud seem underwhelming names, but they are not completely unworkable. Conte's tactics are the problem, his subs are often too late and he doesn't seem to have that extra effect on the team, as a result of which they are in 5th at the moment. That can change of course.

AshRK

His complains are valid but still they have a solid squad. Yes they lost Costa but they have got morata who was doing fine at the start. Yes he lost matic, but he did buy bakayako and drinkwater. No one expected them to win the title again but similarly this squad is surely good enough to finish in top 4. If chelsea finish outside top 4 then most of the blame is with Conte. You don't always get what you want but that does not give you a right to keep on moaning in the middle of the season. His body language this season looks shit. One can clearly make.out he is no longer enthusiastic like he was last season. He is acting as if they lost Costa matic hazard and replaced with no one. The replacement they have got are good players and some of them are his own choice so why so much crying.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not all doom and gloom at the club. The U18s are in the FA youth cup semi final after beating Fulham 6-0 tonight.

If we win it this season it will be 5 in a row. That'll tie a record currently held by Manchester United in the 50s. Not bad company to be in!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Not all doom and gloom at the club. The U18s are in the FA youth cup semi final after beating Fulham 6-0 tonight.

If we win it this season it will be 5 in a row. That'll tie a record currently held by Manchester United in the 50s. Not bad company to be in!
Yes, but what about WigGate?

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea

Last season Willian, Pedro, Alonso, Moses and Fabregas were all playing at a higher level. He can’t be blamed for all of them for reverting to the level they were before last season, right? Could Conte’s training regimen with CL really have that much of an influence on the players? Conte has half the time to prepare for teams too. Very bizarre situation.

Completely different subject. I’m over Courtois and wouldn’t mind if he leaves in the summer.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

The youngsters with the serious potential are starting to show now. Musonda, Boga, RLC etc were great at youth level but have too many flaws to make it with us. Ampadu, Mount, CHO and Sterling while early days all look serious players.

ti vu

Chelsea youth set up has not been the problem. The problem is they can't get into the first team given the demand for result. Christensen has been doing well this season, but more often than not Chelsea academy ain't getting enough chances.

Seeing club spend money on squad players while youth set up doing so well but given no chance is very gloomy from United fan's perspective

Last edited:

Seij

It looks like Italy is eagerly waiting for Conte to be sacked so that they can hire him.

Canagel

This totally. Instead of getting on with things and focusing on remotivating his side after winning the league all he's done is moan and cry which created a negative environment from day 1. Like he is facing an uphill struggle to get those players performing to their usual level. His tactics in certain games have to be questioned too. Why doesn't he have a proper plan B when things aren't working? If Chelsea finish 5th it certainly isn't because they're the 5th best team. They have the players to be comfortably in the top 4.

Varun

Staff
It looks like Italy is eagerly waiting for Conte to be sacked so that they can hire him.
Conte comes across as someone who's happy to get sacked and take the pay off too tbf. Don't think the players are unaware either, doubt courtois would have criticised him so brazenly otherwise. Doesn't help that he himself seems to be angling for a move to Spain

AshRK

Is this true? If it is , then Conte surely is counting his days.

AshRK

This totally. Instead of getting on with things and focusing on remotivating his side after winning the league all he's done is moan and cry which created a negative environment from day 1. Like he is facing an uphill struggle to get those players performing to their usual level. His tactics in certain games have to be questioned too. Why doesn't he have a proper plan B when things aren't working? If Chelsea finish 5th it certainly isn't because they're the 5th best team. They have the players to be comfortably in the top 4.
Exactly. Fans can blame the board all they want but not finishing in top 4 is mostly on Conte.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Or Courtois is just being Courtois and talking every day so he can move back to Madrid.

el3mel

This guy wants to leave them so desperately and his quotes are starting to become toxic. If I were Conte I would bench him for the rest of the season.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Or Courtois is just being Courtois and talking every day so he can move back to Madrid.
Wondering if he's got something concrete on one of the Madrid teams wants him?

Marta Dominguez is there with his 2? Kids so not exactly surprising he wants to go back. Especially if they've got back together.

I'd take Navas or Oblak as a replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varun

Staff
Tbf, the way conte behaves at times, you get the feeling that he's waiting to be sacked. Players see that and it'll result in a loss of respect

Kapardin

Well, Courtois is only stating the obvious. I couldn't believe that sub myself with so much time on the clock. Then again, I suppose the Chelsea players know Conte is leaving soon and they don't mind talkimg about stuff like this.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Tbf, the way conte behaves at times, you get the feeling that he's waiting to be sacked. Players see that and it'll result in a loss of respect
Seems to me like he's begging for it at times with some of his comments.