Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Kapardin

Their form is only slightly better than Arsenal's. Which is shocking considering they don't have the excuse of having Wenger as their manager.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Chelsea with 4 losses in the last 5 in the PL? How'd they manage that :eek:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
No CL will be a disaster for Chelsea with Eden "I'm signing for the Champions League winner" Hazard and Thibaut Courtois yet to sign a new contract.

Richrip

The stick mourinho (justified by the way) gets when he sets Utd up so negatively..... not sure the ABU media will pull Conte up on it in quite the same manner!

AshRK

So chelsea fans will still find a way to put all the blame on the board and protect Conte. Conte''s body language since December has been pathetic. Theor squad is good enough to be in top 4 but thanks to Conte and his unprofessional attitude chelsea are here.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The stick mourinho (justified by the way) gets when he sets Utd up so negatively..... not sure the ABU media will pull Conte up on it in quite the same manner!
Martin Tyler and Gary Neville were both extremely critical of Chelsea over this. A bit much I'd say.

London Blue

Supports
Chelsea FC
Dreadful performance - in 45 years of supporting Chelsea that was one of the most gutless games I've ever seen us play.

Two strikers sat scratching their butts on the bench for almost 90 minutes and we bring them on with the match almost over, finally we start getting into the City box and then surprise, surprise... times up.

Comedy genius Mr Conte.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea and Arsenal might go through a Liverpool type rough patch over the next few years, their board just doesn't seem willing to spend big money anymore. No CL will hurt them big time, especially if Hazard and Courtois leave then their team is bang average except for Willian.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Can they keep players like Kante and Hazard without CL?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Chelsea and Arsenal might go through a Liverpool type rough patch over the next few years, their board just doesn't seem willing to spend big money anymore. No CL will hurt them big time, especially if Hazard and Courtois leave then their team is bang average except for Willian.
No one is going to go through that, no matter how much you wish. Chelsea have come back from worse, and Arsenal have won 3 FA cups in this period. Liverpool's trophy drought is something special :)

Yes, 'attracting players with CL football' is vastly overstated by Arsenal fans because it helps them cope with their 'top 4 trophy' mentality. Top teams can attract most top players without CL football because they have £££. Arsenal have done it this season, United have done it multiple times.

Bojan11

Chelsea spent over £150m in the past year.

Arsenal spent over £100m on strikers in the past 6 months.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea spent over £150m in the past year.

Arsenal spent over £100m on strikers in the past 6 months.
Didn't they also get like stupid money for Ramirez and Oscar etc and didn't reinvest it? That well has dried up now though I think. Don't forget they have to finance a £1bn stadium too

Robbie Boy

Moses really is atrocious. He shit himself every time he was in possession. How he wasn't upgraded in the summer is absolutely beyond me.

Richrip

Martin Tyler and Gary Neville were both extremely critical of Chelsea over this. A bit much I'd say.

Probably my bias towards Utd but Conte he seems to get a free ride form the media..... he was great lad my year and comfortably won the league but he offe sets Chelsea up with 3 at the back 2 wingbacks then Kante bakayoko (predominantly destroyers) in the middle..... fabregas just front and then relies on hazard and morata to nick a goal.

No way am I justifying mourinhos style but this is on par with any anti football Utd have churned.

Robbie Boy

The same Kante that gave up CL football to sign for Chelsea?
Yeah no worries about Kante who's form has suffered badly this season. It's Hazard that'll be off despite what the salty Chelsea fans will tell you.

criticalanalysis

I thought Chelsea were 'decent' today all things considered. Set up in a decent way and mainly contained City's chances but let themselves down with some poor decision making and individual errors.

Conte deserves all the criticism as much as he has aimed at the Chelsea board imo. They won the league last year, sold two of their best players and then brought in a few new additions without upgrading anything else. That is a sideways step at best; every other top team has built upon and reinvested, which means they're 'behind' in quality before the season has even started.

That doesn't excuse being 'worse' than Spurs and Liverpool but it's probably frustrating from managing the Champions to changing mentality and merely competing for top 4.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
For Abramovic's perspective, if Chelsea are dropped from the Champions League by Barcelona, he might as well put on a feel good temporary manager that might give them still a chance to reach 4th in the Premiership.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
How so? The bemusement over Chelsea's inability to do anything going forward was deserved
Well Neville didn't talk about anything else for the last 30 minutes! He was either just saying literally nothing or talking about Chelsea's negativity.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think Roman/Conte were hoping one or both CL irregulars, Spurs and Liverpool, would not make it to top four thus keeping Chelsea afloat in Europe. There must be all sorts of panic going on behind the scenes now that the penny has dropped.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard has two years left and Kante I think has 3. The most likely to leave would be Courtois tbh. I don't see us letting go of Hazard. We could let him run down his contract and by that point he would be nearly 30. He's our best player, not a chance we let him walk easily unless he absolutely wants to go. I think he would have to hand in a transfer request for Roman to allow him to leave. Anything can happen, but he's said many times he's happy at Chelsea and his family are settled in England. Anything can happen though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Surprised to hear Chelsea fans calling for his head.
He won the league last year.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Don't I've ever seen a team looks so good than so bad, then so good then so bad over 4 seasons. It's like they are amazing when they want to be and then just decide "we're taking a season off" once they win the league.

Blind

Hazard was one of the most isolated players I've seen all season, really bleak performance.