Chelsea
Well, If we made combined XI I think it'll be something like :

De Gea
Valencia - Luiz - Bailly - Alonso
Kante - Matic
Pogba
Pedro - Lukaku - Hazard​

Can we disagree on any choice here ?
Azpilicueta needs to be in there somewhere, 100%. Probably over Valencia, or maybe Alonso.

el3mel

I don't think one can assess it like that. If Chelsea put out their strongest XI and we did our, I think Chelsea's would be slightly stronger on paper.
"Slightly" that's the word I wanted to see. There's not much thing in their main line up that makes them much stronger than us. City have the strongest lineup in the league that's for sure, but all the rest are arguable.

el3mel

Azpilicueta needs to be in there somewhere, 100%. Probably over Valencia, or maybe Alonso.
But he's not playing much as a RB, mostly a right CB in a 3 defenders formation. Their right wingback is mostly Moses and Valencia is better than him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
But he's not playing much as a RB, mostly a right CB in a 3 defenders formation. Their right wingback is mostly Moses and Valencia is better than him.
No offense but I feel very comfortable in saying that Azpilicueta is a better RB than Valencia. If you feel otherwise then no worries; he's DEFINITELY a better left back than [Irrelevant point].

el3mel

No offense but I feel very comfortable in saying that Azpilicueta is a better RB than Valencia. If you feel otherwise then no worries; he's DEFINITELY a better left back than [Irrelevant point].
We're not disagreeing. Azpi is definitely a better RB than Valencia. My point is he's not playing as a RB much at Chelsea anymore so I counted him as a defender. I chose Valencia over Moses since he's mostly the right wingback at Chelsea these days, not over Azpi.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
We're not disagreeing. Azpi is definitely a better RB than Valencia. My point is he's not playing as a RB much at Chelsea anymore so I counted him as a defender. I chose Valencia over Moses since he's mostly the right wingback at Chelsea these days, not over Azpi.
Gotcha. Suppose it's a case of compiling a starting XI between two sides playing very different formations!

Unrelated, but my god Valencia would be a magnificent RWB...:drool:

el3mel

Gotcha. Suppose it's a case of compiling a starting XI between two sides playing very different formations!

Unrelated, but my god Valencia would be a magnificent RWB...:drool:
You should give a run to Zappacosta. I think he can do everything Moses can do and maybe more.

yfoFC

At least he's admitting that the PL is tougher than other leagues unlike a certain bald genius who mostly denies that fact even as this league is the first time he has gone trophyless in his career

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
At least he's admitting that the PL is tougher than other leagues unlike a certain bald genius who mostly denies that fact even as this league is the first time he has gone trophyless in his career
Serie A is finally interesting this season :D. Those comments are funny from Conte.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't understand how Conte hasn't gotten way more stick in the media for having such incredibly negative tactics in a home game.

He played most of it without a striker for feck sake.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Well, If we made combined XI I think it'll be something like :

De Gea
Valencia - Luiz - Bailly - Alonso
Kante - Matic
Pogba
Pedro - Lukaku - Hazard​

Can we disagree on any choice here ?

De Gea
Azpi Luiz Christensen
Valencia Kante Pogba Shaw
Martial Morata Hazard

Put in Shaw over Alonso as I feel a fully fit, motivated Shaw could be ridiculously good at LWB. Martial, Hazard and Morata in 3 man interchanging attack would be amazing

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
De Gea
Azpi Luiz Christensen
Valencia Kante Pogba Shaw
Martial Morata Hazard

Put in Shaw over Alonso as I feel a fully fit, motivated Shaw could be ridiculously good at LWB. Martial, Hazard and Morata in 3 man interchanging attack would be amazing
Shaw? Now its obvious youre trying too hard to fit in a United forum as a Chelsea fan :lol:

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Why on earth did Chelsea agree to Matic's move? Crazy.
Conte was replacing him as a starter and Matic wanted to play every week, so it was reported either Roman sanctioned the sale like he did of Cech, or they wanted to cash in because Matic wouldn't extend. He looked like shit for 2 years, 40m looked like a robbery.

Conte was replacing him as a starter and Matic wanted to play every week, so it was reported either Roman sanctioned the sale like he did of Cech, or they wanted to cash in because Matic wouldn't extend. He looked like shit for 2 years, 40m looked like a robbery.
Top quality player who does his job quietly but very effectively. One of those players whose importance you really appreciate when he isn't around. He's slotted into the United side like a duck to water. Superb signing.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Top quality player who does his job quietly but very effectively. One of those players whose importance you really appreciate when he isn't around. He's slotted into the United side like a duck to water. Superb signing.
Like I said, he was bad for 2 years. We haven't missed him because he wasn't playing near the level he is for United.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Shaw? Now its obvious youre trying too hard to fit in a United forum as a Chelsea fan :lol:
Nah, I've always been a fan of his since his Southampton days, was gutted when Utd bought him. I know he's been poor since joining Utd but I feel if he was fully fit and had the right mindset he could be a very good player. Right now, Alonso is the much better player but i feel Shaw has that potential to be better

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Like I said, he was bad for 2 years. We haven't missed him because he wasn't playing near the level he is for United.
would it be fair to say he hasn't been seriously tested yet considering United have only played 7 teams who are all currently no higher than 12th in the league

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
would it be fair to say he hasn't been seriously tested yet considering United have only played 7 teams who are all currently no higher than 12th in the league
He didn't look out of place against the best midfield in the world.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Saturday was a poor performance against admittedly the best team in the league, City were a level above us and essentially did to us what we did mid week to Liverpool. Long old season but they will take some stopping.

We have a good run of 5-6 fixtures that are all winnable while the other top 6 play each other so we just need to get ourselves sorted and go on a run.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Why on earth did Chelsea agree to Matic's move? Crazy.
Roman has generally always been close to team affairs, he's obviously built up personal relationships with the players. He borrowed his yacht to the likes of Lampard and Terry :lol:

While it's great that there's that close knit relationship with the players problems arise when players want to move on and stay in London or the country, like Matic and Cech. Most other teams would have been ruthless and refused to allow them to join our rivals but we were happy to give in to their demands

I guess a plus is that we rarely lose our top players due to this close knit relationship. The likes of Lampard, Terry, Drogba all spurned other teams advances to stay with us while Eden Hazard is in his 6th season with us, I honestly expected him to go to Madrid after a couple of years when we first bought him

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
We'll see how things pan out, but I have my doubts about Chelsea this season. How do you see it?
As long as Hazard stays healthy, we're easily finishing in the top 3. We just had one bad result (City) after playing 7 games in 21 days. I can pin that result and the other so-so result (Arsenal) on Conte a bit for his team selection and formation. However, all in all we seemed to have coped with September's fixture congestion well and only looked tired against City. That's gonna happen on a Saturday match when you outwork the best 'hard working' team there is in Spain on a Wednesday night.

Conte figured out who should be playing and who shouldn't be last year and quickly got rid of them (Ivanovic, Mikel, Oscar, Terry). As long as he does the same thing this year (Willian, Moses, Cahill, Fabregas but just in a reduced role) there won't be the potential collapse the media was yearning for. I'm a bit scarred from the FA Cup final. No one looked motivated to do the double so as a bit of self preservation, I'm going to pretend like those competitions don't exist. We ran through the small teams last year - that's how you win the title. That's how you get to 93 points with a squad with players like Victor Moses and Gary Cahill.

Conte is a great manager and I'm not worried about our league form in the least bit despite me not liking a lot of players in the squad.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
There were a few Benfica supporters who went onto a Chelsea forum stating our purchase of him was odd because his form had dipped so badly. Then he started playing for us, looked like the best CM in the league by far, breaking up play all over the pitch. Could history be repeating itself? Who knows. But United fans are having a hard time understanding how bad he was for how long because of how he's playing now. "Oh his work was going unnoticed, he made the team click doing the dirty work and silently was still just as good, was being overlooked by the new shiny toy Kante" all things I've read. It's just not that simple.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
As long as Hazard stays healthy, we're easily finishing in the top 3. We just had one bad result (City) after playing 7 games in 21 days. I can pin that result and the other so-so result (Arsenal) on Conte a bit for his team selection and formation. However, all in all we seemed to have coped with September's fixture congestion well and only looked tired against City. That's gonna happen on a Saturday match when you outwork the best 'hard working' team there is in Spain on a Wednesday night.

Conte figured out who should be playing and who shouldn't be last year and quickly got rid of them (Ivanovic, Mikel, Oscar, Terry). As long as he does the same thing this year (Willian, Moses, Cahill, Fabregas but just in a reduced role) there won't be the potential collapse the media was yearning for. I'm a bit scarred from the FA Cup final. No one looked motivated to do the double so as a bit of self preservation, I'm going to pretend like those competitions don't exist. We ran through the small teams last year - that's how you win the title. That's how you get to 93 points with a squad with players like Victor Moses and Gary Cahill.

Conte is a great manager and I'm not worried about our league form in the least bit despite me not liking a lot of players in the squad.
A level headed Chelsea fan not in hysteria, your a dying breed.

I agree with this tbh don't see much difference at all between us and United really, City look that extra step up and for them to not win it it would really be there own self destruction not something I can see the other teams doing to stop them. Should even itself out after the next few months as our fixtures are a lot easier,

el3mel

MRI scan proved Morata had a grade 2 Hamstring injury. He may be out for 6-8 weeks.

AshfordLad

Top 4 might become a struggle at this rate. Clearly, heads need to roll from those who exposed the team to this level of risk.

The transfer window was well and truly a clusterfeck. How can the board be so engrossed in their long term plan that the immediate needs are forgotten.

A Coach as good as Conte deserves a team that will give him atleast a fighting chance of success. Wont blame him if he walks at some point during this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Every dynasty has to end, I'm hoping it's juve's turn this season and Conte's comments are funny... but true :wenger:
I'm just afraid Napoli's lack of depth might cause them a problem if Mertens (for instance) gets injured or lowers his level. Otherwise they've been a joy to watch since last season :drool:
Juventus has won the Serie A way too much in the last few years, time for a change.

ti vu

I'm just afraid Napoli's lack of depth might cause them a problem if Mertens (for instance) gets injured or lowers his level. Otherwise they've been a joy to watch since last season :drool:
Juventus has won the Serie A way too much in the last few years, time for a change.
They never know how many would be taken away down the year, so don't blame them for being greedy :wenger:

Feck Juve though. Ruin players (and former) with muscle injuries... Pogba now Morata.

ti vu

I don't get this ?
Allegri training method caused plenty of muscle injuries. Both Morata and Pogba were there with Allegri at Juventus. Just wanna take a dig at Juve since I am bored with international break.