Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
They're away at Stoke tomorrow, and that's a tough test, as we found out.
Yep, will be a tough one. 3 Points would be a great result, looking at our fixture list if we keep close to the top by November we then have a really nice run. Compared to most other top teams our start has been a lot more difficult.

AshfordLad

Stoke have their backline shot to shit for the game tomorrow. Should field the most attacking line-up possible.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We were unlucky against stoke. With 5 at the back and hazard back, you should easily win it tomorrow. 3-0 to Chelsea

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We were unlucky against stoke. With 5 at the back and hazard back, you should easily win it tomorrow. 3-0 to Chelsea
We weren't unlucky, we conceded due to defensive errors. But their overall play was good, too, and they came knocking more than once. It won't be 'easy', certainly. Especially since Chelsea have wing backs instead of defensive full backs whom Shaqiri and co can run at.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We weren't unlucky, we conceded due to defensive errors. But their overall play was good, too, and they came knocking more than once. It won't be 'easy', certainly. Especially since Chelsea have wing backs instead of defensive full backs whom Shaqiri and co can run at.
How often does Jones slips like that to miss that header? And it was a foul on Pogba which lead to the corner where they scored ? Also how many clear cut chances they had except for these two ?

We should have won it, period

LoneStar

They will win tomorrow. We drew at Stoke because of two individual mistakes, not because Stoke were any good. I believe Hazard is the best player in the PL. Huge boost for them.

Have to admit, Morata has hit the ground running. I did not expect that. Having said that, he was shite in the Arsenal game though.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
How often does Jones slips like that to miss that header? And it was a foul on Pogba which lead to the corner where they scored ? Also how many clear cut chances they had except for these two ?

We should have won it, period
How many times do the exact same defensive errors happen? These things are mistakes.

As for the foul, lots of fouls aren't given in football, does every goal coming from one classify as unlucky?

And you forgot the Jese point blank shot at DDG, which no one except him would have saved. Should they call it unlucky, too?

But yes, we should have won that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They're away at Stoke tomorrow, and that's a tough test, as we found out.
Stoke will only have 1 fit CB though-Zouma is ineligible, and Cameron, Wimmer, and Shawcross are all out with injuries. Butland may come through with a blinder, mind, but the fixture looks significantly easier now than it did a couple weeks ago.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They will win tomorrow. We drew at Stoke because of two individual mistakes, not because Stoke were any good. I believe Hazard is the best player in the PL. Huge boost for them.

Have to admit, Morata has hit the ground running. I did not expect that. Having said that, he was shite in the Arsenal game though.
Don't think Morata was the problem at all; Pedro and Willian were far worse. Willian in particular was atrocious with his decision-making.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Stoke will only have 1 fit CB though-Zouma is ineligible, and Cameron, Wimmer, and Shawcross are all out with injuries. Butland may come through with a blinder, mind, but the fixture looks significantly easier now than it did a couple weeks ago.

Damn, didn't know that. You're gonna score loads.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
We step up another few levels when hazard plays so really excited now for our football.

Side note to Christiansen who looks better and better every week, outstanding on the ball.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Didn't even need to get out second gear to put Stoke aside.
Looking ominous.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Once Bakayoko and Kante gain a better understanding we will be formidable. Bakayoko has started really well but like I said at the beginning with Morata you still feel there is so much more to come from him and that he's getting used to the league and adjusting.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
It's early days but these injuries and suspensions are helping Conte rotate the squad without ill will from the players who are missing out. When Drinkwater comes back from injury, I wouldn't mind a 3-5-1-1 being the formation he chooses against the smaller sides like Stoke. It gives us a really strong foundation and would let Fabregas and Hazard do their thing.

How good are Azpilicueta and Morata?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Looking ominous.
Helped with the players who weren't able to play for various reasons. Zouma's been one of Stoke's best players, and there was no Shawcross, Cameron or Wimmer at the back either. Chelsea would still have won but don't think the result would have been as emphatic.

Zouma loan has worked great from Chelsea's point of view. Stoke's took points off United and Arsenal so far.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Once Bakayoko and Kante gain a better understanding we will be formidable. Bakayoko has started really well but like I said at the beginning with Morata you still feel there is so much more to come from him and that he's getting used to the league and adjusting.
I agree. I'm really interested to see how this French pairing will operate at their best. I feel like if we buy another winger to go with Hazard and Morata, we'd be in the same bracket as City in terms of goals.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Helped with the players who weren't able to play for various reasons. Zouma's been one of Stoke's best players, and there was no Shawcross, Cameron or Wimmer at the back either. Chelsea would still have won but don't think the result would have been as emphatic.

Zouma loan has worked great from Chelsea's point of view. Stoke's took points off United and Arsenal so far.
I agree and the early goal killed Stoke's morale.
But they took full advantage.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Been really impressed with Christensen so far, such a classy CB. He's basically everything people hoped Stones would be...

Also hope we move to the 3-5-2. On form Cesc is too good to leave out and is easily one of the best passers in football, only issue with him is that he doesn't function well in a 2 man midfield, with Kante and Bakayoko next to him in a 3 it would allow him to purely focus on his passing game and we wouldn't get overrun in midfield and then you'd have Hazard in a completely free role behind Morata

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Been really impressed with Christensen so far, such a classy CB. He's basically everything people hoped Stones would be...

Also hope we move to the 3-5-2. On form Cesc is too good to leave out and is easily one of the best passers in football, only issue with him is that he doesn't function well in a 2 man midfield, with Kante and Bakayoko next to him in a 3 it would allow him to purely focus on his passing game and we wouldn't get overrun in midfield and then you'd have Hazard in a completely free role behind Morata
Good comparison with Stones, I agree.

I don't think Cesc is ideal against the big six even in a midfield three, Alonso is always likely to be a weakness against a pacey wide back which means he will need help from the midfield leaving Cesc and another to likely face off against two strong midfielders,. That's how I see it.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
It's early days but these injuries and suspensions are helping Conte rotate the squad without ill will from the players who are missing out. When Drinkwater comes back from injury, I wouldn't mind a 3-5-1-1 being the formation he chooses against the smaller sides like Stoke. It gives us a really strong foundation and would let Fabregas and Hazard do their thing.
It is kind of a logical formation, as it will make good use of Fabregas' passing abilities while at the same time protecting the midfield. What remains to be seen for me is how good it works for Hazard. I suppose he might be more influential in a 3-4-3 with more offensive linkup options (which also allows him to drop deeper in transition) than behind a lone striker in a 3-5-2, where I expect it to be easier to isolate him.

Bojan11

Yeah they also had Glen Johnson as one of the centre backs. He's not even a good right back.

AshfordLad

How good are Azpilicueta and Morata?
Really don't think anyone in the club will give two fecks if Cahill or Luiz moaned about being on bench too much. Doubt they have got anywhere else to go anyway.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
The David Luiz and Cahill suspensions haven't had any effect on the defences performance yet and I expect Luiz to play against Athletico. He could even start in midfield and rest Bakayoko thus freeing up Bakayoko for the City game. While Bakayoko is good running through the midfield he has been caught in possession a few too many times and will have to be aware the PL is quicker than Ligue 1.
The squad rotation is far greater than last season so far and the only area where there is a lack of depth is up front. Batshuayi is OK against the lesser teams but Athletico and City could be a step too far. In the meantime Chelsea will have to play Morata and hope he doesn't get injured.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea

Good comparison with Stones, I agree.

I don't think Cesc is ideal against the big six even in a midfield three, Alonso is always likely to be a weakness against a pacey wide back which means he will need help from the midfield leaving Cesc and another to likely face off against two strong midfielders,. That's how I see it.
Agreed but if Rudiger plays in the defence instead of Cahill it covers the pace aspect a bit down the left. I do think in big games we should be looking to play 3-5-2 definitely to have more control. It suits Hazard & Fabregas more which realistically is all you can ask for.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
The David Luiz and Cahill suspensions haven't had any effect on the defences performance yet and I expect Luiz to play against Athletico. He could even start in midfield and rest Bakayoko thus freeing up Bakayoko for the City game. While Bakayoko is good running through the midfield he has been caught in possession a few too many times and will have to be aware the PL is quicker than Ligue 1.
The squad rotation is far greater than last season so far and the only area where there is a lack of depth is up front. Batshuayi is OK against the lesser teams but Athletico and City could be a step too far. In the meantime Chelsea will have to play Morata and hope he doesn't get injured.
I do recall that match where we played Hazard upfront with Pedro and Willian behind and won. This was when Costa was having one of his funny moments.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I do recall that match where we played Hazard upfront with Pedro and Willian behind and won. This was when Costa was having one of his funny moments.
Certainly Morata is our only big game option which is fine, Hazard and Batshuayi as our two options up top is more than enough back up.

TheReligion

Abusive
Looking ominous.
Think that's a bit misleading. Wasn't the whole of Stokes regular back 4 missing?

Chelsea are certainly getting some confidence back though and I expect them to be top four.

AshfordLad

Athleti were caged for almost the entire game, one could have though they were playing against Real Madrid away.

Not only a fantastic three points on their own but also added pressure on Athleti to beat Roma in their next game. Feck yeah.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's weird to say it like that but I'm kinda happy they won because Atletico Madrid is a shit team as far as I'm concerned, they have many good/great players but the football they play is disgusting to watch.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Athleti were caged for almost the entire game, one could have though they were playing against Real Madrid away.

Not only a fantastic three points on their own but also added pressure on Athleti to beat Roma in their next game. Feck yeah.
That's how they play in almost every game.

Still, Chelsea did well to come away with 3 points. Atletico are well capable of doing the same to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, so the group dynamic will be interesting going forward.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
That was Real Madrid level dominance from Chelsea on Atletico going by the Hungarian reporters.

Could have easily been 5 goals for Chelsea with some better luck. Hazard from the highlights was a monster :eek:

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
That's how they play in almost every game.

Still, Chelsea did well to come away with 3 points. Atletico are well capable of doing the same to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, so the group dynamic will be interesting going forward.
It was a brilliant away performance against a very tough team.

We should've put it to bed early before allowing Atletico to come out, but we got the points in the end. Im ecstatic after that, really excited about this season

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
Great result for us, not many teams go to Atletico and get a win. We also outplayed them for large parts of the game

7th goal for Morata now, always been a huge fan of Costa but we aren't missing him one bit right now

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Huge performance really. Shouldn't be understated what we did tonight.

Hazard and morata will be absolutely outstanding as a partnership this year too.

So happy for michy!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Brilliant CL big game debut for Conte's Chelsea. They could even compensate for the goal Luiz gave away.

Hazard & Morata were great - Morata really is a beast. Kante & Bakayoko were very good too, both on and against the ball. Fabregas didn't have his best day, imo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Atletico’s demise continuing?

I’m glad Chelsea won, need them at their best to knock off City at the weekend

AshfordLad

Gerrard comparing Chelsea to Liverpool in their ability to retain superstar players. Idiot.

Might as well compare his PL trophies with Lampard's. :lol: