Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
IncrdIncre situation. They seem to thrive in chaos. I can't imagine Conte would be the one taking preseason training.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Wouldn't Conte have been sacked already if he were going to be sacked?

To be honest if would rather Chelsea bounce back than Manchester City have another season being rimmed by the media.

SomeRandomPerson

I haven't really been following this, but why is it taking so long to get the Sarri deal over the line? He's not even contracted with Napoli anymore? I mean Chelsea haven't even announced Conte's departure yet, so I'm not sure what they are playing at here. Is the issue just related to Conte's pay-off?

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
I haven't really been following this, but why is it taking so long to get the Sarri deal over the line? He's not even contracted with Napoli anymore? I mean Chelsea haven't even announced Conte's departure yet, so I'm not sure what they are playing at here. Is the issue just related to Conte's pay-off?
The problem is that Sarri is still contracted with Napoli. So there’s 2 possible scenarios. 1 is that Roman wants the managerial changes on the 18-19 books, not 17-18. This doesn’t make sense to me as we’re going to have £50-70m less in revenue without CL but they’re businessmen and it’s their job to know. #2 is Roman and ADL playing chicken over Sarri’s release clause, which I’d have to believe Roman is winning bc once Ancelotti shows up to training, the legal grounds for still having Sarri under contract has to be gone, I think. I’m expecting something to happen today or tomorrow.

There’s nothing like wasting almost 2/3 of the transfer window during a World Cup year though!

SomeRandomPerson

The problem is that Sarri is still contracted with Napoli. So there’s 2 possible scenarios. 1 is that Roman wants the managerial changes on the 18-19 books, not 17-18. This doesn’t make sense to me as we’re going to have £50-70m less in revenue without CL but they’re businessmen and it’s their job to know. #2 is Roman and ADL playing chicken over Sarri’s release clause, which I’d have to believe Roman is winning bc once Ancelotti shows up to training, the legal grounds for still having Sarri under contract has to be gone, I think. I’m expecting something to happen today or tomorrow.

There’s nothing like wasting almost 2/3 of the transfer window during a World Cup year though!
Hmmm, thanks. I thought Ancelotti's appointment meant they'd released Sarri but I guess not. Seems like such an obvious money-grab on Napoli's part trying to get Chelsea to pay up for Sarri's contract having already appointed his successor. For what it's worth, I sincerely hope Sarri to Chelsea doesn't happen. He got Napoli's record points total this season (91 points) and took the title to the wire with Juventus which he had no right to do given the difference in the quality of the squads. Add to that the fact that everyone who watches Serie A seems to adore Napoli's style of play, and he'd have Hazard/Kante/Willian/Pedro at Chelsea, I can imagine him getting you up there with Pep's City. I can only hope Jose pulls up his socks for next season.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
There’s a chance Willian, Luiz, Morata, Zappacosta, Courtois, Drinkwater and Zouma are all sold, not including some of the loan army. That’s at least £200m. Just to go on and then buy Maguire, Vardy and Pickford.

Jacko21

Chelsea players due back in training on Monday...

Surely Sarri will be in place before the weekend? It'd be such a ridiculous situation for Conte otherwise.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Chelsea players due back in training on Monday...

Surely Sarri will be in place before the weekend? It'd be such a ridiculous situation for Conte otherwise.

Really bizzare situation. They're having a row over pre-season with Coach they're actively trying to replace. :houllier:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's an odd one. Let's not forget Chelsea are playing community shield on August 5th so starting even earlier than 18 other teams. Surely their non-WC players are back in training by now so suprise Conte isn't suppose to be back until Monday if he's still in charge.

Thing with Chelsea is they make plenty of odd decisions but still win cups and the odd league title now and again.

They still have a spine of very good/solid players for premier league: Courtois, Azpi, Cahill, Kante, Hazard, Willian, Giroud. That could be breaking up though. Courtois and Hazard being linked to Real Madrid and also Willian could also leave.

That will be a problem as their transfer record in recent times has been dire. Last 18 months I think they've spent 150m on Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley and Emerson.

Then you come to the jury is out players: David Luiz, Rudiger and Morata. Morata did fine first half of the season before completely disappearing from goalscoring scene in second half of the year.

Lots of work for Sarri to crack on with whenever he turns up (probably in early August). Interested if he can bring his methods across particularly with a lack of English.

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
If/when Ronaldo moves to Juve, surely Real will be looking at Hazard?
Hazard connection to Real was Zidane. Same people say Real didn't want to buy him Eden is reason why he left. Anyway, different type of players. Real needs to replace Ronaldo and his 50 goals every season with goalscorer which Eden isn't. They already have Isco who is similar to Hazard.

About Chelsea, I don't know what's happening now but I expect Sarri by Monday. Apparently, transfer budget is 60m NET. 35m Rugani and 25m Golovin are basically done deals.
With Courtois, Kalas, Piazon money we'll buy Alisson. Willian out, Bailey or Pulisic in. Similar prices. Or we trade with you Martial for Willian. I prefer Bailey. We won't go with our transfer policy for Iguain for sure and I wouldn't trade him for any of our three strikers. RLC is coming home and we will probably try to find another midfielder. There's some rumors about Kovacic. Drinkwater, Luiz, maybe Kenedy, Michy and a couple of players on loan will leave. I don't see place in team for either Moses or Pedro. So a lot more money for reinvestment. Fabregas? I'll rather go for James or Fekir but Sarri prefers 4-3-3 not 4-2-3-1. But i'm very excited about offensive football next season. It'll benefit players like Eden massively! He never played in 6 years in Chelsea under attacking manager. I'm optimistic.

Alisson
Azpilicueta - Rudiger - Rugani - Emerson
Kante - Kovacic - Golovin
Bailey - Morata - Hazard

Bench: Caballero, Alonso, Cahill, Christensen, Zappacosta, RLC, Bakayoko, Barkley(Fabregas?), Pedro(Moses?), CHO, Giroud, Michy?
City watch out!

Reactions: Carolina Red

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard connection to Real was Zidane. Same people say Real didn't want to buy him Eden is reason why he left. Anyway, different type of players. Real needs to replace Ronaldo and his 50 goals every season with goalscorer which Eden isn't. They already have Isco who is similar to Hazard.

About Chelsea, I don't know what's happening now but I expect Sarri by Monday. Apparently, transfer budget is 60m NET. 35m Rugani and 25m Golovin are basically done deals.
With Courtois, Kalas, Piazon money we'll buy Alisson. Willian out, Bailey or Pulisic in. Similar prices. Or we trade with you Martial for Willian. I prefer Bailey. We won't go with our transfer policy for Iguain for sure and I wouldn't trade him for any of our three strikers. RLC is coming home and we will probably try to find another midfielder. There's some rumors about Kovacic. Drinkwater, Luiz, maybe Kenedy, Michy and a couple of players on loan will leave. I don't see place in team for either Moses or Pedro. So a lot more money for reinvestment. Fabregas? I'll rather go for James or Fekir but Sarri prefers 4-3-3 not 4-2-3-1. But i'm very excited about offensive football next season. It'll benefit players like Eden massively! He never played in 6 years in Chelsea under attacking manager. I'm optimistic.

Alisson
Azpilicueta - Rudiger - Rugani - Emerson
Kante - Kovacic - Golovin
Bailey - Morata - Hazard

Bench: Caballero, Alonso, Cahill, Christensen, Zappacosta, RLC, Bakayoko, Barkley(Fabregas?), Pedro(Moses?), CHO, Giroud, Michy?
City watch out!
Interesting if we do go 4 3 3 like that.

Morata needs support as it's difficult in England for him.

Would like to see Christensen get plenty of minutes but not a starter in big games. If we do play 4 at the back Luiz could be used in midfield against better sides as we did against City a few years ago.

Roman needs to sort the manager out. He's always come through for us before. Presumably he's in Russia atm to watch the game tomorrow.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Conte is back for pre-season training and will probably continue. He's a good manager but lacks the support from the board, unless Chelsea are going to pull of some good deals I can only see them struggling once again for top 4 and they have to play Europa League so they can't give a 100% in the PL.

Cloud7

With the way Chelsea always seem to swing from total chaos to success and then back again so rapidly, I wouldn’t put it past them winning the league next season :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So Conte is staying?
He'll probably be sacked in next week or something, Chelsea probably gambling with World cup as most of their squad won't be back until early August after holidays.

Have to say Chelsea are probably a bit fournate with what's happening as there's hardly been any press scrutiny on them in last few weeks for what's happening.

If England had been knocked out early it's an obvious big story to cover.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
They have been rancid since the 16/17 season. Replaced key players with more expensive replacements who don't fit their style/what they needed in particular positions (Bakayoko for Matic, Morata for Costa) or wasted money on overpriced players as replacements for younger, more talented players they already had on their books (Barkley & Drinkwater for RLC & Chalobah).

Can't tie up their top players who are arguably looking to jump ship (Courtois, Hazard) and are replacing a proven manager with a more unproven one, but for some reason can't seem to get that over the line despite the fact that Napoli themselves have already replaced Sarri with Ancelotti.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
They have been rancid since the 16/17 season. Replaced key players with more expensive replacements who don't fit their style/what they needed in particular positions (Bakayoko for Matic, Morata for Costa) or wasted money on overpriced players as replacements for younger, more talented players they already had on their books (Barkley & Drinkwater for RLC & Chalobah).

Can't tie up their top players who are arguably looking to jump ship (Courtois, Hazard) and are replacing a proven manager with a more unproven one, but for some reason can't seem to get that over the line despite the fact that Napoli themselves have already replaced Sarri with Ancelotti.
So one season?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
The boss is back :D

Morpheus 7

Chelsea have so much to do it's scary, makes me feel great about United's transfer window. What is going on with them, it's a right old mess.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Thank god the World Cup is happening and England’s in the semis otherwise we’d be the mainstream laughing stock of the country.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Conte is back for pre-season training and will probably continue. He's a good manager but lacks the support from the board, unless Chelsea are going to pull of some good deals I can only see them struggling once again for top 4 and they have to play Europa League so they can't give a 100% in the PL.
Maybe they'll go with the old two manager model from back in the day. That needs to make a comeback.

Livermore-Clemence at Spurs went well. Even taking in a 3rd wheel with El Tel as Chief Exec. Roman would give that a nudge I reckon.

The Curbishley-Gritt double player-manager was super special at Charlton.

And who can forget the Houllier-Evans dream team.

Nothing at Chelsea surprises me. They'll probably win the league.

Vilev

Thank god the World Cup is happening and England’s in the semis otherwise we’d be the mainstream laughing stock of the country.
I think everybody made peace with Chelsea manager swapping antics long, long time ago. It's not like it's any different from what it was before.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Even if they get sarri eventually this summer, this season is gonna be a bit of a bust for them IMO. Drastically different system and will take a while to implement. If Hazard leaves for Madrid too to replace Ronaldo then itd be brilliant, though sad for the league at the same time because he is obviously world class.