Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
We play Newcastle(a), Bournemouth(h), Cardiff(h), West ham (a) until the 29th of September which we host Liverpool.

Really all 4 should be winnable, but we've historically struggled at Newcastle's ground, and West Ham away is always a battle. Last win at Newcastle was 2011, and they gave us a 3-0 drubbing last season :lol:.

Win all 4 and we'll be in a really good place before facing Liverpool.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
There were some very good signs that the players are taking Sarri's new way seriously and are buying into the system. The passing at times was very quick and Arsenal were caught ball watching. Was pleased Morata scored. It wasn't an easy chance and he had to fashion it himself in the end. He used his strength against Mustafi and sent Cech the wrong way. It doesn't make him the finished article but it will certainly help him to recover confidence.

Clearly the defense wasn't picking up late arrivals on the edge of the box but Arsenal didn't make us pay. I was at the match and my initial thoughts were that the two howlers were caused by Chelsea defenders marking the space and not the Arsenal attackers. Were they zonal or just out of shape? Whatever it was Sarri must put a stop to that.

Overall I thought the score was fair and that Hazard made the difference when he came on. While he only had limited time I thought Kovacic looked really interesting. His movement and control with the ball was very impressive and he looked to be making intelligent decisions. On this short performance I would put him ahead of Barclay, who incidentally, had a decent game.

Before the season started I didn't think we had a chance of top 4 but with a bit more organisation at the back, a midfield clicking with Kante, Jorghino and Kovacic and Hazard linking up with a newly invigorated Morata we have a chance.

COYB!

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Was really impressed by us at the weekend.

Sarri's interview explained yesterday he feels we are getting a lot better on the ball but the work off the ball needs improving (pressing).

When our gameplan come together Arsenal could not deal with us, bit of a spacing issue between the midfield and defense still though but still if you look back to last year when we played Arsenal 4 times I think maybe? We never caused them that much trouble and always looked stumped for ideas against them so really happy with the win.

Second half was much better, dominated and controlled the game.

Kovacic is going to be some player for us, the chemistry between him and Hazard was instantly good.

blueblood85

Supports
Chelsea
This season I’ll be happy if we mount a challenge and of course finish in top four. Also want us to go all out in the europa league just in case the top 4 doesn’t work out.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Am I the only one that wants us to sell RLC? He’s not going to be given the playing time he needs to develop into the midtable player he’s going to be. Should’ve sold him while his reputation was as high as it was this summer.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Am I the only one that wants us to sell RLC? He’s not going to be given the playing time he needs to develop into the midtable player he’s going to be. Should’ve sold him while his reputation was as high as it was this summer.
I know what you mean but that ship has sailed and we can only cash in if he goes to the continent. I'd be surprised if he wanted that. Sarri is reported as saying that Drinkwater is surplus so we need some back up in midfield. We do not want Kante, Kovacic and Jorge playing every game. I know there is Fabregas and Barclay but Rubens completes the second midfield.

With Europa and the cups we will need to rotate.

I don't think we'd get much for him anyway.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Looking back on some clips and GIF's from the game against Arsenal, our passing was actually impressive.

There's so many clips of us retaining the ball in tight areas with good passing and also drawing out players and exploiting the spaces, think once we have our full team back we could really smash some of the smaller teams at home.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Looking back on some clips and GIF's from the game against Arsenal, our passing was actually impressive.

There's so many clips of us retaining the ball in tight areas with good passing and also drawing out players and exploiting the spaces, think once we have our full team back we could really smash some of the smaller teams at home.
I watched the whole game again last night and while Arsenal did have some outstanding chances that they managed to turn into howlers they did not have a great proportion of the game. Apart from a very hot 10-15 minutes in the first half Chelsea basically out passed and out ran Arsenal.

There are some good signs with the quick passing and I think the players are capable of playing this element of "Sarribal". Where I think we may struggle towards the end of the season is maintaining the high press. Pedro was chasing down their defense and goalkeeper on his own like a greyhound in the final minutes of the game. Where he gets that stamina from I don't know but he had already been down for cramp a few minutes earlier so perhaps he is superhuman. Will all the players be able, or dare I say willing, to chase like this for an entire season. We ill need to rotate and use the whole squad.

I don't remember Conte using the whole squad. He seemed to play the same players most of the time. I think we have an abundance of talent in the midfield with Fabregas, RLC and Barclay all capable of being in the team but in fact they probably won't. Kante, Jorghino and Kovacic will probably be first pick. I have a certain amount of sympathy for RLC and Barclay because they deserve a chance of first team football. Barclay played his best game for Chelsea on Saturday and impressed me to the point that I thought he could improve the team with his energy, commitment and skill. He was impressive and deserves to play. There was though, a problem for him later in the game and its name was Kovacic. I think he played 20 minutes and in that time he left me feeling very excited. I also went to the game and watched him closely. He is real quality. His confidence and skill on the ball is mesmerising. He looks like a real all-round midfielder with a physique built to chase down. Should fit in nicely.

The front line will have to chase down as well and Moratas fitness should hold up but I suspect he will continue to get hauled off for Giroud on 70 mins. This leaves Hazard, Willian and Pedro. I can't see Hazard pressing as hard as Willian and Pedro. He has done it in patches in the past but you wouldn't say it a large part of his game. His skills lie elsewhere and if he plays on the left I suspect Kovacic will have to cover him.

I'm not convinced by our defense. I have concernes about David Luiz and frankly, Christensen. Our style of play makes attack our best form of defense but the better teams will find a way through and both of the aforementioned have a mistake in them. Maybe I'm being harsh on Christensen but David Luiz gave the ball away a bit too much on Saturday. I like Rudiger. He is solid and very quick. He is still improving and for our best centre half.

Chelsea can do well this season if they keep the faith in the manager's new ways. Hopefully they can keep improving and make top 4.

COYB!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Was really impressed by us at the weekend.

Sarri's interview explained yesterday he feels we are getting a lot better on the ball but the work off the ball needs improving (pressing).

When our gameplan come together Arsenal could not deal with us, bit of a spacing issue between the midfield and defense still though but still if you look back to last year when we played Arsenal 4 times I think maybe? We never caused them that much trouble and always looked stumped for ideas against them so really happy with the win.

Second half was much better, dominated and controlled the game.

Kovacic is going to be some player for us, the chemistry between him and Hazard was instantly good.
Still early days. You will not get that much space while playing smaller teams.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Still early days. You will not get that much space while playing smaller teams.
Sarri's team's and style don't generally struggle to break down teams and scoring isn't usually the problem so I am not too worried about that.

Definitely early days but we can only judge on what we've seen so far.

Newcastle will show us a bit more this weekend as we have really struggled at St James Park, a win at a bogey ground would be great

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
We had more passes than City in first two games with same opponents. Amazing!
Pep struggled in first season but I don't think Sarri will.
We had a lot of problems to score against low table teams last season with Conte but now when we face Bournemouth and Cardiff in fourth and fifth round I expect us to score 4 in each game.
I'm excited for every game like a baby and I think this is our best team in last 10 years!

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Against Arsenal the mad 15 minutes i call it was all done to the defense dropping too deep and the midfield going too deep as well.

Kante and jorginho dropped into the defensive line making it 6 at the back and both pedro willian and barkley didn't drop to protect the edge of the 18 and the center of the 18.

Sarri like's his team to have no more than 15m between defense and attack at times we gave up so much space you could play a 5 a side in it.

What should have happened is that when our attackers and midfield went to press our defense should have moved up the line to ensure that the space would no longer exsist but instead they stayed.

With the cutbacks its very easy to fix when we go to defend and our back 4 drops deep our midfield is to protect the 18 to 12 yard area and pick up opposition midfield players while our cb attend to the strikers.

If Jorgi kante and barkley were both picking up Auba,Miki and Iwobi like they should have been doing Pedro and Willian dropping back to also help with the covering and marking we wouldn't have given up those chances.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Willian dropped today, not surprising after the last game. Wondering if we're trying to sell, after the rumours of us offering him to Madrid? Kovacic starting too, hope we'll still find minutes for Barkley to develop this season. Game should be interesting against a seasoned counter attacker like Benitez.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They dominated in every match this year. All that talk about liverpool but chelsea looks very good for me. And sarri is there only 2 months.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They dominated in every match this year. All that talk about liverpool but chelsea looks very good for me. And sarri is there only 2 months.
Their defense is going to come bite them in the ass sooner than later. The fullbacks are fine but Rudiger and Luiz are both highly suspect.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Morata/Giroud up top will cost them a title shot unless Hazard suddenly develops into a 25+ goal a season player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They've looked good so far but lacked penetration today. Essentially the heart of the defence (Luiz) and the heart of the attack (Morata) are the two positions that will probably hold them back from winning the league. Luiz can be replace over the course of the season but I don't see who is going to step up in attack as a 30 goal striker.

Tarrou

They played some really nice stuff but they are so reliant on Hazard to create. Think they need Morata or someone else to step up big time if they stand any chance of challenging.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Pep secretly masturbated to that Chelsea performance.
:lol:

Sarri will be delighted then. Don't think we can win the league with so much change. Will be entertaining though and good chance for a cup.

James Peril

They played some really nice stuff but they are so reliant on Hazard to create. Think they need Morata or someone else to step up big time if they stand any chance of challenging.
Yeah they are a bit like us, both struggling with stationary strikers with little output compared to Aguero, Kane, Salah etc. They have Hazard, we have Sanchez on paper - as well as Pogba creating stuff. Their wings are covered better than us though, so I guess that’s where they are a bit stronger. Very solid team Chelsea, although struggling to create much today

AshRK

So far Chelsea have looked more impressive than liverpool but ofcourse media darlings would want you to believe otherwise.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Their defense is going to come bite them in the ass sooner than later. The fullbacks are fine but Rudiger and Luiz are both highly suspect.
Rüdiger is a beast and is certainly not suspect. He's our best CB when you combine all aspects.

Luiz on the other hand is indeed a liability. After what was a clear foul on Giroud, Luiz switched off and was at fault for their goal today. He's excellent on the ball when we're in possession but sketchy defensively.

Overall, our football is night and day compared to Conte. Only a few weeks under Sarri and we've completely dominated possession and the run of play in each game so far. Players aren't even fully gelled yet which is exciting.

I'm most excited about the midfield trio. All 3 were excellent today. Jorginho is a diamond of a midfielder.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
We lacked penetration today as Newcastle closed the passing lanes really well, the channels were also clogged with 3 center backs marking Morata or cleaning up any through balls. I’m happy with the scrappy win regardless, Newcastle away is always tough.

Bournemouth next week will be fun, a lot more open but more dangerous with all the pace they play with. If I was Sarri, I’d drop Luiz for that one and start Christensen.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Can't believe I was looking forward to a team of Barkley, Drinkwater and Giroud and get Jorgino, Kovacic and Kante. Sarri has got them playing the right way, just a matter of seeing how their high press does against the top six.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
We lacked penetration today as Newcastle closed the passing lanes really well, the channels were also clogged with 3 center backs marking Morata or cleaning up any through balls. I’m happy with the scrappy win regardless, Newcastle away is always tough.

Bournemouth next week will be fun, a lot more open but more dangerous with all the pace they play with. If I was Sarri, I’d drop Luiz for that one and start Christensen.
It's the speed of our play that will lead to more penetration and clear chances. It was a bit too slow today and allowed Newcastle to get into their (double decker) shape. Should get better with more games.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Luiz getting blamed but that goal is on the ref, understandable imo. Alonso looks over his shoulder at the ref, makes no attempt to close down the cross, Luiz loses concentration as well no doubt expecting a foul.. with VAR it's 100% ruled out.

Rafa knows how to get a team to defend. City only beat them narrowly last year.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Eden needs more time to get used to the system, the way we're playing now he absolutely has to be moving the ball quicker and not slowing down our attacking movement. It says everything that needs to be said about him though, that even though he's still not nearly up to speed he still walks away with MOM. When his game starts properly clicking with the rest of the team, its going to be a sight to behold.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Rüdiger is a beast and is certainly not suspect. He's our best CB when you combine all aspects.

Luiz on the other hand is indeed a liability. After what was a clear foul on Giroud, Luiz switched off and was at fault for their goal today. He's excellent on the ball when we're in possession but sketchy defensively.

Overall, our football is night and day compared to Conte. Only a few weeks under Sarri and we've completely dominated possession and the run of play in each game so far. Players aren't even fully gelled yet which is exciting.

I'm most excited about the midfield trio. All 3 were excellent today. Jorginho is a diamond of a midfielder.
The first season under Conte was much better, there was far more control and the attack was more explosive. You've had a cream puff schedule so far and Newcastle away was the first moderately tough game, so I wouldn't make any long-term proclamations yet.

Neo_Mufc

If Chelsea can get Morata scoring. I'd put them up as title contenders.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
The first season under Conte was much better, there was far more control and the attack was more explosive. You've had a cream puff schedule so far and Newcastle away was the first moderately tough game, so I wouldn't make any long-term proclamations yet.
Completely wrong on literally everything you've said there, but okay. Wouldn't call Arsenal cream puff and Newcastle has been a bogey side of ours for years.

Only long term proclamation I'll make is that we'll be a significantly better football playing side than we have been.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Huddersfield was a fairly gentle first game, but playing Arsenal in week two was hardly an easy fixture.