Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How early did Chelsea sign Forssell? Again he played a bit but more known for the loans. Trying to remember if he was before/after Carlton Cole.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Thomas Lemar would have been a great signing for Chelsea I think, seems a lot of Chelsea fans aren't that keen on Willian and he seems to have suitors, probably could ship him out to United or Barcelona and have got Lemar for the same money - plus he might be one of the few with the potential to replace Hazard in a couple of years and only cost Atletico about £55m I think.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
How early did Chelsea sign Forssell? Again he played a bit but more known for the loans. Trying to remember if he was before/after Carlton Cole.
He was 17 or 18 I think but had already played first team footy elsewhere. Shame about his injuries, he should've had a better career than he did.

I remember thinking he was going to be our star striker but I also thought the same about Neil Shipperly and about 20 others since then!

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He was 17 or 18 I think but had already played first team footy elsewhere. Shame about his injuries, he should've had a better career than he did.

I remember thinking he was going to be our star striker but I also thought the same about Neil Shipperly and about 20 others since then!
If it’s any consolation, Forsell had a brilliant career in my Championship Manager team. :drool:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Jorginho is a pretty good and crucial signing.

Big problem for Chelsea last season is Fabregas-Kante didn't gel as midfield combination. Conte had it right the previous year when his regular combo was Matic-Kante and Cesc would come in for the parked bus teams home and away.

He dosen't have the legs anymore to play in a midfield two.

It's always difficult to predict Chelsea. Some seasons they've looked in a terrible state and then challenged and even won the league...start of 2016. Other seasons they've looked pretty perfect at the start and then imploded htting winter...2008, 2010 and 2015.

Last season their transfer strategy was very odd, I could understand Conte's frustrations.
This, Cesc still has an eye for a pass but I feel he would need to be part of a midfield 3 with players around him that could pick up his defensive slack.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Jorginho will be an absolute beast after the performance this morning even if it was pre-season..absolute pass master, no other way to describe him gosh. The man basically holds all the serie a passing records. The thought of him and Kante next to each other is just cheating. City and Pep nearly ruined another season had they signed him, we basically saved the league :lol:

I don't understand why we're keeping Willian. Strange after he disrespected Conte with that shameful Instagram move. Guy should have been sold after that.

I'd love to see us push for Pulisic, if not him then either Brandt or Bailey would be nice too. I'm unsure about Lemar, Monaco would demand 100m+.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Jorginho will be an absolute beast after the performance this morning even if it was pre-season..absolute pass master, no other way to describe him gosh. The man basically holds all the serie a passing records. The thought of him and Kante next to each other is just cheating. City and Pep nearly ruined another season had they signed him, we basically saved the league :lol:

I don't understand why we're keeping Willian. Strange after he disrespected Conte with that shameful Instagram move. Guy should have been sold after that.

I'd love to see us push for Pulisic, if not him then either Brandt or Bailey would be nice too. I'm unsure about Lemar, Monaco would demand 100m+.
Sounds like the kind of player we need.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Lemar was sold to Atletico for about 50 million at the start of the transfer window

trafford1980

Martial & Higuain for Hazard & Willian would be a very decent offset. They really couldn't have hoped for much better considering they don't have Champions League football.

With Jorginho and likely Golovin replacing some dead wood, I'd argue that even with Courtois, Hazard and Willian gone, Chelsea will have improved an under-performing squad.

A midfield three of Jorginho/Kante/Cesc behind Pedro/Higuain/Martial looks good. They can also call on the likes of Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, a fit Barkley, Golovin and Giroud.

Very impressed with their kids last night.

I'm more worried about them getting their sh#t together than any serious challenge from Spurs or Arsenal.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Still personally think we need Golovin & Rugani.

Areola would be a good replacement for Courtoius who I would rather see us ship out now than on a free.

Would promote a few of the youth players and sell the following;

Zappacosta
Cahill
Drinkwater

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Zappacosta
Cahill
Drinkwater
I've never really taken Zappacosta that seriously, but give the guy his due he was outstanding in that Perth game. Obviously its Perth and a pre-season friendly etc etc, but it does suggest he might be a good cover option if he can adapt to Sarri's system so easily.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
I've never really taken Zappacosta that seriously, but give the guy his due he was outstanding in that Perth game. Obviously its Perth and a pre-season friendly etc etc, but it does suggest he might be a good cover option if he can adapt to Sarri's system so easily.
Agreed. He seems a better fit than Moses when four at the back is used. Let's see if he can keep it up against higher calibre opposition in a couple of days. If he looks decent against Inter I would be relatively calm going into the season with Azpilicueta and Zappacosta as RB options.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Still personally think we need Golovin & Rugani.

Areola would be a good replacement for Courtoius who I would rather see us ship out now than on a free.

Zappacosta
Cahill
Drinkwater
I don't think we're even after Golovin anymore. Rumor just died after it seemed certain at one point. With Barkley now fully fit I'm not sure we need him, tbh. Ross looked fantastic yesterday against admittedly poor opposition.

At this point it's not looking likely we'll sign anyone else other than an eventual Courtois replacement. :rolleyes:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Great to see Luiz back in the team and being his usual effervescent self: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44925235

I think we hugely missed his distribution from deep areas last season. Christensen is a good prospect but lacks experience and that showed as he made mistakes in big games. Playing in the middle of the back 3 suited his style perfectly. Be interested to see if Sari fits him in to the 4 3 3.

Having watched the Perth highlights can't wait to see us against Inter. I think we're going to be very entertaining to watch this season, hopefully in for trophies as well.

Wondering if anyone knows about Pierre Ekwah?

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I agree, just don't see how we go into the season with 3 options at RB, Azpi will start and either Moses or Zappacosta as cover, but one of those is going to have little to no gametime.

I don't think we're even after Golovin anymore. Rumor just died after it seemed certain at one point. With Barkley now fully fit I'm not sure we need him, tbh. Ross looked fantastic yesterday against admittedly poor opposition.

At this point it's not looking likely we'll sign anyone else other than an eventual Courtois replacement. :rolleyes:
What do you think on the Higuain/Morata situation?

I personally still think we need Golovin, think he provides an option at RW and CAM and is class. Dependant on Loftus cheek really, as we only have 3 slots in the middle;

Fabregas
Barkley
Jorghino*
Kante*
Baka
Loftus Cheek

Our midfield options are more than good enough and I would like to see them all stay.

If Willian does go then Golovin or Bailey should come in. If he's going united we would have to incorporate Martial into the deal.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I agree, just don't see how we go into the season with 3 options at RB, Azpi will start and either Moses or Zappacosta as cover, but one of those is going to have little to no gametime.

What do you think on the Higuain/Morata situation?

I personally still think we need Golovin, think he provides an option at RW and CAM and is class. Dependant on Loftus cheek really, as we only have 3 slots in the middle;

Fabregas
Barkley
Jorghino*
Kante*
Baka
Loftus Cheek

Our midfield options are more than good enough and I would like to see them all stay.

If Willian does go then Golovin or Bailey should come in. If he's going united we would have to incorporate Martial into the deal.
We 100% need another forward. Going into the season with Morata and Giroud again would be suicidal. I'd take Higuain only because there really isn't anyone else available.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
We 100% need another forward. Going into the season with Morata and Giroud again would be suicidal. I'd take Higuain only because there really isn't anyone else available.
Batshuayi too, I agree not many options available.

I ideally would like to see Morata stay rather than be replaced by Higuain because otherwise it puts a lot of pressure on Batshuayi to come good as our only young striker.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Batshuayi too, I agree not many options available.

I ideally would like to see Morata stay rather than be replaced by Higuain because otherwise it puts a lot of pressure on Batshuayi to come good as our only young striker.
I would legit rather keep Tammy in the squad than Bats. Bats is a danger around 10 or less yards from goal but other than is a abysmal player, horrendous first touch and zero tactical intelligence outside of the box. Even when Morata is playing dogshit he atleast has a bit of the latter (a lot of his missed sitters that have made him the butt of people's jokes have come from clever movement to get in the position to miss in the first place).

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I would legit rather keep Tammy in the squad than Bats. Bats is a danger around 10 or less yards from goal but other than is a abysmal player, horrendous first touch and zero tactical intelligence outside of the box. Even when Morata is playing dogshit he atleast has a bit of the latter (a lot of his missed sitters that have made him the butt of people's jokes have come from clever movement to get in the position to miss in the first place).
I don't think Hig will be coming, just don't see it happening.

I think our options will be Morata, Giroud and either Bats/Tammy tbh, which I am fine with. Next year if Morata does not perform he would have to go and we spend big on another striker. But obviously we are hoping he has a good season.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
With Jorghino providing the service it may be that Morata can get his shooting boots on. Saw a few of last nights highlights and Morata still seemed to be struggling and went to ground too easily on one occasion. I don't know what it is with him. He seems to go down like a sack of potoatoes at the slightest touch. He's a big old lump but doesn't use his strength. I think it's a mentality thing. He's great in the air but he needs to add a bit of muscle to his general play.

Jorghino looks great!

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think Hig will be coming, just don't see it happening.

I think our options will be Morata, Giroud and either Bats/Tammy tbh, which I am fine with. Next year if Morata does not perform he would have to go and we spend big on another striker. But obviously we are hoping he has a good season.
Morata picked up several injuries last season. Imagine if he does so again this season and we've only got Giroud to really depend on. I just cannot see Giroud being effective Ina high tempo, high pressing Sarri team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Great to see Luiz back in the team and being his usual effervescent self: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44925235

I think we hugely missed his distribution from deep areas last season. Christensen is a good prospect but lacks experience and that showed as he made mistakes in big games. Playing in the middle of the back 3 suited his style perfectly. Be interested to see if Sari fits him in to the 4 3 3.

Having watched the Perth highlights can't wait to see us against Inter. I think we're going to be very entertaining to watch this season, hopefully in for trophies as well.

Wondering if anyone knows about Pierre Ekwah?
Luiz will struggle much more in a back 4, 3-5-2 is good system to hide his defensive limitations.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I don't think we can play David Luiz in a back 4 against the top teams. But he'd be a huge weapon against smaller teams where we dominate the ball and the attacking opportunities are rare for the opponent.

Only CB we have that can play those penetrating passes.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Simon Johnson saying we face competition from Roma for Leon Bailey.

Does anyone reckon our board have the balls to actually move for him? Would be one of our best bits of business if we could manage to offload Willian to United and replace him with Bailey.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Simon Johnson saying we face competition from Roma for Leon Bailey.

Does anyone reckon our board have the balls to actually move for him? Would be one of our best bits of business if we could manage to offload Willian to United and replace him with Bailey.
I haven’t been super excited about a signing since summer 2014 so I feel like no. Him or Pulisic would be amazing.

I’m not really interested in who we’re linked with right now. I hope Golovin chooses Monaco and Higuain prefers Milan over Chelsea. I don’t really want Rugani unless Sarri wants him to play next to Christensen and we offload one of Luiz/Cahill. It seems silly to me to spend £45m on a CB when we have the depth we do and our club is trying to keep the books as even as possible.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I haven’t been super excited about a signing since summer 2014 so I feel like no. Him or Pulisic would be amazing.

I’m not really interested in who we’re linked with right now. I hope Golovin chooses Monaco and Higuain prefers Milan over Chelsea. I don’t really want Rugani unless Sarri wants him to play next to Christensen and we offload one of Luiz/Cahill. It seems silly to me to spend £45m on a CB when we have the depth we do and our club is trying to keep the books as even as possible.
I still really want Golovin but I tend to agree on Higuain.

I just think without the necessary changes we will stagnate, if we don't get any other business done it kind of feels like the same sense of pessimism going into next season. Hopefully we make 2 more good signings and Tibo see's out his final year with us.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea

I just think without the necessary changes we will stagnate, if we don't get any other business done it kind of feels like the same sense of pessimism going into next season. Hopefully we make 2 more good signings and Tibo see's out his final year with us.
Why do you want Golovin? What does he provide that Barkley/RLC/Fabregas can’t?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea

It's being reported that Tibo is having a medical in madrid. Gutted if he goes. Try for Pickford I recon.

If I had to pick my best 2 wish for signings they would be Higuan and Koulibaly. Higuaín because I'm still not impressed with Morata. He looked poor against Perth Glory. Koulibaly because we need to tighten up at the back. Christensen didn't live up to his full potential last season, Cahill is on the wane as is Luiz and if we are to play 4 at the back we need dave at RB.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Pressing + stamina. Golovin is a ferocious presser and can continue to do so throughout a match, unlike the other 3.
Why do you want Golovin? What does he provide that Barkley/RLC/Fabregas can’t?
He has serious pace and stamina, creative on the ball.

He is essentially a mixture of the better elements of the players just mentioned, he could also fill in on either wings or the CAM role so covers 3 slots.

If those players were performing in the middle of the park then don't see a reason why Golovin couldn't play either side of the striker with Hazard also.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm really unsure about Golovin. Where would he play given that Barkley/RLC might be a better option next to Kante and George.
I honestly think we can forget about seeing RLC in a Chelsea shirt this season.

Especially as everyone is linking us with another midfielder. I'd still be very surprised if we signed anyone else there.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm really unsure about Golovin. Where would he play given that Barkley/RLC might be a better option next to Kante and George.
Well, the key word there is "might". For me, Golovin's defensive workrate is likely to make him the better option of those three.

However, if this article is to be believed and Chelsea have a chance at landing Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, he's the best option of all. Probably isn't a better player for that spot in Europe outside of Pogba:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-latest-willian-hazard-courtois-a8462871.html

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Well, the key word there is "might". For me, Golovin's defensive workrate is likely to make him the better option of those three.

However, if this article is to be believed and Chelsea have a chance at landing Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, he's the best option of all. Probably isn't a better player for that spot in Europe outside of Pogba:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-latest-willian-hazard-courtois-a8462871.html

Its a nothing article, it mentions this wont happen unless Hazard goes, which he isn't. Its more an article that were interested and one of the front runners for future windows (if he decides to leave).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Its a nothing article, it mentions this wont happen unless Hazard goes, which he isn't. Its more an article that were interested and one of the front runners for future windows (if he decides to leave).
Oh, 100% agree. Just happy to see Chelsea linked at all despite it being tenuous since he's exactly the sort of player that should be pursued.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Oh, 100% agree. Just happy to see Chelsea linked at all despite it being tenuous since he's exactly the sort of player that should be pursued.
Of course I completely agree, if Hazard was too go next summer its a good option to explore, even if they are different positions.

I really like the look of our squad and feel we've done extremely well getting jorghino and that a lot of our players will benefit from our new style of play.

We have strong players unused from last year also that should play role's this year, Barkley, Hudson Odoi & RLC.

We shouldn't be blinded by not thinking we need further investment though, Golovin would be a great addition which is what we need for CM, RW/LW. Not only that but with a few of our players being older or nearing the end of our contracts it gives us a year to see his talent and if he can potentially replace any of these players next summer.

Ultimately I still think we need 2 more signings, and the keeper situation to be sorted. Don't mind if Tibo is going but we need a solid replacement, would like to see us go for Pickford or Butland.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Of course I completely agree, if Hazard was too go next summer its a good option to explore, even if they are different positions.

I really like the look of our squad and feel we've done extremely well getting jorghino and that a lot of our players will benefit from our new style of play.

We have strong players unused from last year also that should play role's this year, Barkley, Hudson Odoi & RLC.

We shouldn't be blinded by not thinking we need further investment though, Golovin would be a great addition which is what we need for CM, RW/LW. Not only that but with a few of our players being older or nearing the end of our contracts it gives us a year to see his talent and if he can potentially replace any of these players next summer.

Ultimately I still think we need 2 more signings, and the keeper situation to be sorted. Don't mind if Tibo is going but we need a solid replacement, would like to see us go for Pickford or Butland.
Certainly agree more investment is needed. I'd prefer Donnarumma though over other available keepers - I know he had a middling 17/18 season but much of that may have been due to his contract situation. He's also more likely to come cheap than Pickford at least IMO.