Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
And the end of the day both sets of fans have a mutual hatred of the scousers. And nobody wants to see them anywhere near a prem title.
My hate for Liverpool is kind of wearing off due to Mo Salah and Mane. Two nice guys who I'm happy to see doing well (just never against us).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Kepa looked shaky against Cardiff on set pieces and a few times this week against Videoton. But he's growing in confidence.

Mourinho will be certain to exploit potential weaknesses in set pieces as well as really test our left side with someone pacy like Rashford. If Mata starts on the right, we can probably keep him quiet.

What has happened to Herrera? If he's not playing, Mourinho will probably have Fred man mark Hazard when he moves centrally.
Fred won't play against you, or at least he won't start.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Kepa looked shaky against Cardiff on set pieces and a few times this week against Videoton. But he's growing in confidence.

Mourinho will be certain to exploit potential weaknesses in set pieces as well as really test our left side with someone pacy like Rashford. If Mata starts on the right, we can probably keep him quiet.

What has happened to Herrera? If he's not playing, Mourinho will probably have Fred man mark Hazard when he moves centrally.
Your midfield is too dynamic and cute for our giants, our record at Stamford Bridge is shocking and I write this fixture off as L no matter how good or shit Chelsea are in the moment. Only hope we have got is Chelsea start slow and we make some plays on set-pieces but we ourselves start so slow that I can only ever see it heading one way.

Hazard is having a Salah esque season so far, scoring or creating every game but he by himself can't drag you to the summit ahead of City. This summer was a lost opportunity to bring in a proven striker, someone like Higuain would've been worth it even for 2 seasons. I don't trust Giroud or Morata to lead a line for a title winning side.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Kepa was fantastic today and was against Liverpool as well. Just hasn't really had much to do this season.

United after the break will be his biggest test as I'm sure Mou will have all of his giants like Fellaini standing right on Kepa every set piece.
Mate, do you watch us?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's a very good manager, but I don't think he's been that good and I don't think his system has been implemented as smoothly as results suggest.

A lot has and will continue to ride on Hazard in this phenomenal batch of form. Long season ahead of him.
No, I agree with all of the above, but I would have thought with some of the players he has and his style, the results would suffer. The fact they haven't, IMO, means he'll get them to the level he wants a bit quicker than expected. I'm very surprised with the success he's had with Luiz, his reading of the game seems to matured a bit - there's still plenty of time to revert to type on that one, though.

The proof will be come January or if, like you say, Hazard's form drops off at some point, whether they can find the goals somewhere else.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I have no interest in Chelsea and am seeking no validation so was just going to ignore the usual internet crap but the level of certainty with which you say things is staggering considering you don’t know me or who might have told me.

Here’s a shovel and carry on as its your perogative to be the classic internet fool that opposes everything because they think they know it all. Just because you can’t get your head around things doesn’t mean it can’t be possible.
I'm not accusing you of seeking validation and I don't oppose everything on the internet.

Sometimes people in high places do hear confidential information and they normally keep their mouths shut because of the damage it can do their own reputation. Anybody blabbing about such confidential matters in my view is not to be taken seriously. To make it clear I am not necessarily accusing you of spreading disinformation but your source or your source's source or anybody in that chain should not be spreading such sensitive information if it is in fact true. Such information can have a dramatic effect on a companies/clubs value. People in the know, know this and keep schtum.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I kinda like how no one was talking about them but they're up there and look like they'll be competing for the title. Mainly because the two everyone is talking about are fecking City and Liverpool.

Also that Sarri was never a name being mentioned when managers were talked about, but he's got them playing better football instantly. Just goes to show it's not always about the hype trains.

I don't respect Chelsea as a club, but is it weird that I don't hate them? Their fun to hate players have left and they're just quietly getting on with things.
Chelsea are a unique club, people talk about the lack of vision from us but I dont see any long term vision from Chelsea either. They just go from one style of manager to the another and they're still successful - it's bloody annoying

I do feel they're loosing Hazard away from bucking that trend though. Jose built an amazing spine during his first spell which served a lot of the subsequent managers well and then inherited/built another good side which then served Conte well

Trizy

I kinda like how no one was talking about them but they're up there and look like they'll be competing for the title. Mainly because the two everyone is talking about are fecking City and Liverpool.

Also that Sarri was never a name being mentioned when managers were talked about, but he's got them playing better football instantly. Just goes to show it's not always about the hype trains.

I don't respect Chelsea as a club, but is it weird that I don't hate them? Their fun to hate players have left and they're just quietly getting on with things.
He was this years Jurgen Klopp after he brought Napoli close to the league title and demolished some teams (incl. City) in the CL with some beautiful football. They couldn't defend too well, mind.

He was probably the number 1 target wanted to this forum along with Poch.

charlenefan

He was this years Jurgen Klopp after he brought Napoli close to the league title and demolished some teams (incl. City) in the CL with some beautiful football. They couldn't defend too well, mind.

To demolish a side you need to have actually beat them yet City beat them twice IIRC

Trizy

To demolish a side you need to have actually beat them yet City beat them twice IIRC
Correct, but look at the gulf in players quality. The game in Italy, Napoli looked way better than City. I know the final score is all that matters but not one team outside of Liverpool made City look poor last season.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea are a unique club, people talk about the lack of vision from us but I dont see any long term vision from Chelsea either. They just go from one style of manager to the another and they're still successful - it's bloody annoying
From what we understand there has always been a long term vision, but it's run up against the hard brick wall of reality multiple times. The theory has been (and because Roman never speaks publicly and the board hardly ever say anything, we can only go off rumours and transfer trends) that the first spell under Jose was just about establishing us as a top club, however after a few titles Roman wanted us to move to a prettier more Barca-like style and that hasn't changed since. Seen through that lens it kind of makes sense, the club repeatedly trying to bring in players like Mata, Oscar, Hazard, but then when results don't go our way bringing in more defensively tough managers who put us back up in title contention, but don't match the players long term playing style preference. It feels like now we might finally have a coach who can give Roman the kind of football he's apparently always wanted while also being able to compete for the title, and who might even keep the players happy too. Early days of course, but we'll see.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
They only conceded 29 goals in the league last year. Their defence was excellent.

charlenefan

From what we understand there has always been a long term vision, but it's run up against the hard brick wall of reality multiple times. The theory has been (and because Roman never speaks publicly and the board hardly ever say anything, we can only go off rumours and transfer trends) that the first spell under Jose was just about establishing us as a top club, however after a few titles Roman wanted us to move to a prettier more Barca-like style and that hasn't changed since. Seen through that lens it kind of makes sense, the club repeatedly trying to bring in players like Mata, Oscar, Hazard, but then when results don't go our way bringing in more defensively tough managers who put us back up in title contention, but don't match the players long term playing style preference. It feels like now we might finally have a coach who can give Roman the kind of football he's apparently always wanted while also being able to compete for the title, and who might even keep the players happy too. Early days of course, but we'll see.
If I were a Chelsea fan I would worry about Hazard, if he goes I'm not sure who you get to replace him

I'd also wonder (unlikely though it is), what happens if you dont get top 4 this season. Does Sarri get another season?

Needham

My hate for Liverpool is kind of wearing off due to Mo Salah and Mane. Two nice guys who I'm happy to see doing well (just never against us).
Milner is a nice guy. Is there some reason his niceness couldn't wear off your hate for them?

robbie81

Supports
Chelsea
If I were a Chelsea fan I would worry about Hazard, if he goes I'm not sure who you get to replace him

I'd also wonder (unlikely though it is), what happens if you dont get top 4 this season. Does Sarri get another season?
We need a winger anyway, hope we go for Brandt.

Last edited by a moderator:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ironically Chelsea playing the football now that Roman wants to see yet apparently he’s not allowed back in the country currently

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
We do worry about losing him, but we've had the joy of watching him for the last 6 years, so if he chose to leave most of us wouldn't hold it against him. It'd also result in a big payoff even with only 1 year remaining on his contract, so I'm sure we can bring in someone good. Paying out 70m to replace Courtois felt like a statement. Who we could get I don't know, but if you're willing to spend big enough you can usually get good players.

I think so. The way we've started I'd actually be really disappointed to miss out on top 4 now, but Sarri has already had a hugely positive effect on the club. If we missed out just because 2 of United/Arsenal/Spurs had a near flawless rest of the season, and we missed out by a few points, then I think they'd keep him. Seems wildly unlikely at the moment that we'll miss out on a CL spot though.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Not going to happen though is it, defence isn't good enough and too reliant on one player in attack
Weird how people (not just here, but everywhere in the media) keep mentioning our defense as the big reason we won't challenge for the title. I may have mentioned it myself as well. But honestly, all the top teams have defenses that can be got at. Everyone talks about how Liverpool have this amazing defense now but we easily created chances against them last week. City aren't a juggernaut at the back. Arsenal have been comedy at the back a few times this season. Spurs' defense looked comical in the CL a few days ago.

Our defense isn't any worse than the other big teams. We're susceptible to quality attacks like anyone else.

If we fall off this season it will likely be because we don't have a striker who will score 25-30 goals like everyone else in the big 6 does.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I've really enjoyed watching Chelsea's games this season. I'd they can reach the level that his Napoli team did, they will probably be the best team in England.

The spacing has improved already. The best coach in the world alongside Pep Guardiola.

I still can't believe the two best exponents of Johan Cruijff's philosphy are Spanish and Italian. Meanwhile we are still going on about "Dutch philosphy" that noone can even define...

charlenefan

Weird how people (not just here, but everywhere in the media) keep mentioning our defense as the big reason we won't challenge for the title. I may have mentioned it myself as well. But honestly, all the top teams have defenses that can be got at. Everyone talks about how Liverpool have this amazing defense now but we easily created chances against them last week. City aren't a juggernaut at the back. Arsenal have been comedy at the back a few times this season. Spurs' defense looked comical in the CL a few days ago.

Our defense isn't any worse than the other big teams. We're susceptible to quality attacks like anyone else.

If we fall off this season it will likely be because we don't have a striker who will score 25-30 goals like everyone else in the big 6 does.
I guess the difference between yours and the defences of City and Liverpool are theirs haven't looked quite as bad as yours did in the games against City, Arsenal and Liverpool (which while I thought you deserved to win they did create more chances than you iirc)

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I guess the difference between yours and the defences of City and Liverpool are theirs haven't looked quite as bad as yours did in the games against City, Arsenal and Liverpool (which while I thought you deserved to win they did create more chances than you iirc)
This is fair, but at the same time it's harsh to judge on two of Sarri's first three matches in charge. The defense has improved markedly recently, much of which I'd argue is due to the midfielders understanding the need to cover half spaces - against Arsenal the channels were always wide open and they ran riot. In addition, Sarri has consistently said that learning the defensive side of his style is much harder than learning the attacking phase of play, and that's been the case at Chelsea.

There is still a vulnerability to 2v1s against the fullbacks (especially Alonso since Hazard doesn't track back), but this in turn leaves huge space for Hazard to attack down the left. This was in evidence against Liverpool - although they were able to create when TAA overlapped, this left them vulnerable to balls to Hazard over the top.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
As the poster above me says, Pep and Klopp have been training their defenses for years now. It was always going to take a few months for us to completely change our shape and style. Not fair at all to judge us on the Comunnity Shield or the second match of the season when Sarri had been in the country for only a few weeks.

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
I've been impressed with the start Sarri has made. I fully expected this season to be a rebuilding one for Chelsea, but they really are "at the races" at the moment. I've been really impressed with their attacking intent. Would be interesting though to see if they can still attract/retain quality players if they don't make the CL for next season, given that would be two seasons out.

Last edited by a moderator:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
My only doubts are with them competing in the Europa League. English teams which compete in that in the past haven't challenged for the title, and Sarri isn't really one for rotation - though he did rotate more than I was expecting last game. If they continue to progress into the latter stages and Sarri starts to use the first team more I think it'll take its toll.

Think its a bit weird they're pandering to Cahill. He said he'd be leaving if he wasn't getting more game time and now he's been promoted to third choice defender on the bench ahead of Christensen and Ampadu. He'll still probably end up leaving while at the same time those two will have been pissed off a bit at being frozen out. Ampadu is still very young so will probably benefit from a loan move but Christensen will probably look to leave. Fat chance of that happening though with 3 years left on his contract next summer.
True yeah. Have they been in a position to compete for the league though, usually?

I'd never seen him mentioned. Then again, I wasn't paying that much attention to manager talk for a brief period.

el3mel

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ts-he-is-torn-between-chelsea-and-real-madrid

"I am really in the game, I am playing good football at the moment. Real Madrid is the best club in the world. I don't want to lie today.

"It is my dream since I was a kid. I was dreaming about this club. We will see. I don't want to talk about this every day. I don't have time but we will talk about my future soon. I think so."
Hazard flirts with Madrid a lot doesn't he. I feel like sometimes he's begging them to make a move for him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I've really enjoyed watching Chelsea's games this season. I'd they can reach the level that his Napoli team did, they will probably be the best team in England.

The spacing has improved already. The best coach in the world alongside Pep Guardiola.

I still can't believe the two best exponents of Johan Cruijff's philosphy are Spanish and Italian. Meanwhile we are still going on about "Dutch philosphy" that noone can even define...
What do you think about Tuchel and his PSG team, though? As an open follower of Guardiola he surely has to be mentioned alongside him and Sarri when it comes to Cruyff's school of thought.

I think the current developments are pretty interesting. Many possession-oriented teams are struggling currently, namely Spain, Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern. Villanova once said during Guardiola's spell at Barca that every single player on the pitch has strict instructions for his positioning on the pitch, even Messi but only up to the last playing third. From then on, they don't instruct players and trust their individual quality.

That seems to have changed. Possessio-oriented teams with that approach alone fail to create chances and rely far too heavily on their star players' brillance. Madrid worked their way around that by being extremely good at converting "half chances" from crosses but especially Barca and Spain declined drastically. To me it seems like the teams of Sarri, Guardiola and Tuchel distinguish themselves by having clear attacking patterns with studied runs and passes not only in the build up but also in the box in order to create chances. That seems to be the difference to earlier iterations of the style.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Tuchel, Sarri, Lopetegui,Roberto De Zerbi, Paulo Fonseca, Oscar Garcia, Erik Ten Hag... the list just grows wich is very nice surprise.. You could argue that Nagelsmann and even Antonio Conte use elements of the positional play in their game plan as well...

Last edited:

Major

Supports
chelsea
https://www.skysports.com/football/...ts-he-is-torn-between-chelsea-and-real-madrid

Hazard flirts with Madrid a lot doesn't he. I feel like sometimes he's begging them to make a move for him.
Or he's just keeping his options open as he's always done. He is always going to keep mentioning Madrid as it keeps Chelsea in their toes regarding the details of the new contract being offered. Each mention of Madrid after a goal puts a few more chips on the sheet. Each mention of contemplating signing a new deal also ensures that he keeps his bridges with the fans intact ( unlike Courtois) and has something to fall back on in case Madrid get cold feet.

He has always come across as a very intelligent guy and well in control of his life. I remember similar events in his move to Chelsea. People called it flirting with every big club but that's actually a very smart way of doing things keeping all options open whiles affording himself enough time to make a choice

Major

Supports
chelsea
Suddenly 15m for Barkley doesn't look so bad eh? Considering what's gone around for mid fielders of his ilk (50+ mil for Fred and Keita)

charlenefan

1 or 2 good games from Barkley and his name is being used to shit on players like Fred and Kieta who have only just come into the country

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
1 or 2 good games from Barkley and his name is being used to shit on players like Fred and Kieta who have only just come into the country
But those two came with much higher reputations and an even higher price tag. They should be playing week in week out. Instead they are being kept out the team by the likes of Felaini and Henderson.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal

I do feel they're loosing Hazard away from bucking that trend though. Jose built an amazing spine during his first spell which served a lot of the subsequent managers well and then inherited/built another good side which then served Conte well
I think they have a pretty unique scouting system where they sign loads of young players and sell them on for a profit. Many of the players they have signed have turned out to be top class talents and sold for big profits. Their net spend is like half of Utds over the last 5 years so they are no longer purely reliant on their owner to fund them.

Luckily agent Mourinho sold De Bruyne, Salah and Lukaku.

charlenefan

But those two came with much higher reputations and an even higher price tag. They should be playing week in week out. Instead they are being kept out the team by the likes of Felaini and Henderson.
Fred didn't come in with any kind of reputation? But regardless of that, 1 or 2 good games from Barkley and suggesting he's better than the likes of Keita is so short sighted it boarders on the juvenile