Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What do you lads think of Thiago Silva on a free transfer on a short term contract? It could alleviate some of the pressure of having to pay big money for a CB until next summer.

In the meantime we get a 36 year old who brings experience and leadership to the back 4.
How has he done this season ? Does he still start for PSG?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Much more apt fee than the ones quoted.

Chelsea have been brilliant in this window in how swiftly they are getting business done. Fair play.
I said on previous page or 2 that i think we'd end the window with Ziyech, Havertz (if it happens of course), Werner, a cb (looks like thiago silva) and a LB... with a gk too depending on Kepa and no one was having it. Think they underestimated just how much backing Lampard would have this window.

amolbhatia50k

I said on previous page or 2 that i think we'd end the window with Ziyech, Havertz (if it happens of course), Werner, a cb (looks like thiago silva) and a LB... with a gk too depending on Kepa and no one was having it. Think they underestimated just how much backing Lampard would have this window.
Hats off to Abrahamovic. He's really made up for the transfer ban, and then some. You guys must be excited about next season.

amolbhatia50k

Chillwell a much better attacker though which is more important to a ‘big’ team.
Fair enough. But I have faith in AwB given he's arguably the best one on one defender I've seen , and is young enough to improve his attacking game, given he has good control and pace.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Fair enough. But I have faith in AwB given he's arguably the best one on one defender I've seen , and is young enough to improve his attacking game, given he has good control and pace.
I’d love for you to be right and he can certainly improve but attacking ability is a natural skill. He just isn’t that instinctive on the ball and looks awkward.

amolbhatia50k

I’d love for you to be right and he can certainly improve but attacking ability is a natural skill. He just isn’t that instinctive on the ball and looks awkward.
You're possibly right. But then again, if we get in a quality attacking LB don't think anyone will mind having a fullback whose that good defensively , especially if he develops his attacking game to a 'decent' level (he showed signs of it - see his assists Vs chelsea) and we have a proper RW infront of him.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
You're possibly right. But then again, if we get in a quality attacking LB don't think anyone will mind having a fullback whose that good defensively , especially if he develops his attacking game to a 'decent' level (he showed signs of it - see his assists Vs chelsea) and we have a proper RW infront of him.
This is true. I think not having Shaw killed Rashford in the last few games and with someone even better that could be really productive down that side. AWB is a monster defensively but ultimately we’ll need more from him so hopefully he can develop in the next year or two.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They should really be mounting a serious title challenge and nothing less if they get Havertz too considering the amount of money they will have spent. Even with just Chillwell added on you'd expect a title challenge now.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They should really be mounting a serious title challenge and nothing less if they get Havertz too considering the amount of money they will have spent. Even with just Chillwell added on you'd expect a title challenge now.
Even with all the signings, an instant title challenge might be a bit much given how far off we where last season.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Hearing talk that chilwell deal all but done and 45 mil ?
Good price tbf was expecting them say 80 odd again

Delano

Crazy how they finished level on points with us and have bought 3 new starting players, with Havertz, Thiago Silva and a new GK to potentially move into the first team. It'll depend on how they all settle; but right now, they are easily the 3rd best squad in the league on paper.

If we stand still, we will move backwards.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Even with all the signings, an instant title challenge might be a bit much given how far off we where last season.
If you add them two to Ziyech and Werner then stuttering to 3rd or 4th won't cut it this year. The season is going to be packed so I wouldn't expect another year where someone reaches close to 100 points. I think it's going to be an 85ish type season to win the title which is a reach since you finished on 66 but 80 points should be the target for you and United.

duffer

Scout
If you add them two to Ziyech and Werner then stuttering to 3rd or 4th won't cut it this year. The season is going to be packed so I wouldn't expect another year where someone reaches close to 100 points. I think it's going to be an 85ish type season to win the title which is a reach since you finished on 66 but 80 points should be the target for you and United.
I'd agree with that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This is true. I think not having Shaw killed Rashford in the last few games and with someone even better that could be really productive down that side. AWB is a monster defensively but ultimately we’ll need more from him so hopefully he can develop in the next year or two.
I don't think he'll ever have the attacking game for what's required at the very top (PL and CL contenders).

I can see United going for Lamptey within two years if he carries on his current growth at BHA.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Biggest signing will be a keeper. Kepa was statistically historically shit.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Banega always seems up for these big games. Quality player, just not the mentality to perform consistently.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How has he done this season ? Does he still start for PSG?
He's clearly past his peak but he still plays every big game for PSG - in addition in the CL they have played generally a very high line and he's not looked out of place there. Not world class aerially but in terms of penalty box defending on the floor he's still elite.

Obviously he can't play week in week out, but he may bring a lot to the rest of our CBs from a leadership perspective. It gets overlooked at times, but can be key - there's no way Terry becomes the player he did without learning from Marcel Desailly, as an example.

Womp

idiot
Bit envious of their window so far, has to be said. Considering Sancho is looking dead in the water, we could have done with Havertz or Ziyech. Chilwell wouldn't be my choice, but I do think we also need a LB.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea are done good job in transfer window so far especially if chilwell rumour is true then kudos to marina for getting him lot cheaper than suggested initially.

By any standard it is a great transfer window if no one is added further into squad assuming havertz also done deal.

Flip side of this good window will be Lampard now have to deliver big trophies within two seasons. Especially with the talents he have in his squad.

Hopefully roman will give him enough time to create cohesive attacking team capable of delivering the trophy, which he always craved for.

izec

What a window. Werner, Ziyech and Havertz are top players. Chilwell will improve their LB position and Thiago Silva while old, still looks decent in the latter stages of the CL. He never relied on a lot of pace, but intelligence and positioning, which he still has. He will add some expereince and leadership to the young backline for a year or two. Only a good GK needed and they can start the season. They will have the best summer window of all clubs.

amolbhatia50k

What a window. Werner, Ziyech and Havertz are top players. Chilwell will improve their LB position and Thiago Silva while old, still looks decent in the latter stages of the CL. He will add some expereince and leadership to the young backline for a year or two. Only a good GK needed and they can start the season. They will have the best summer window of all clubs.
As things stand , by a country mile. Thing is, we shouldn't be considering City and Liverpool who operate on a different altogether. You can make the case for City needing to strengthen their defence but they're still a quality team regardless. So it's United and Chelsea among the big boys who all eyes should be on (arsenal have not been contenders for 15 years), and Chelsea have had a smashing window so far while United have been smashing their heads on the Sancho negotiation table.

Just like when Livepool and City raced past us when Jose joined, same could happen with Chelsea here. The majority of the window is still there for us to make additions to elevate us the way Chelsea have (on paper), but if we don't we really run the risk of watching another of the big boys leaving us in the dust.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
So Chelsea have signed 3 players and are probably gonna sign another 2 while we’re still trying to sign our first player, absolute joke! We can’t negotiate for more then 1 player at a time which is annoying, the longer we spend going after Sancho the less time we have to sign other players that we need!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think he'll ever have the attacking game for what's required at the very top (PL and CL contenders).

I can see United going for Lamptey within two years if he carries on his current growth at BHA.
His attacking stats are as good as Chilwell, in few stats he is better and in few he isn't.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
So Chelsea have signed 3 players and are probably gonna sign another 2 while we’re still trying to sign our first player, absolute joke! We can’t negotiate for more then 1 player at a time which is annoying, the longer we spend going after Sancho the less time we have to sign other players that we need!
Well Ed has only really been good at getting sponsorships right? On the football side he is utterly dreadful and hasn’t helped you guys in the slightest. I’m sure with a better negotiator you would have paid less money for every deal he was involved in.

I’m actually really happy that Marina, Cech and Lampard seem to all be on the same page, the dynamic appears to be flourishing. Roman is Roman, still the best owner in the league.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Really exciting team Chelsea are building right now!

Third best squad in the league on paper.

With the additions they have made they are only 2 or 3 big signings away In the coming windows from truly competing.

murali_red

What a window. Werner, Ziyech and Havertz are top players. Chilwell will improve their LB position and Thiago Silva while old, still looks decent in the latter stages of the CL. He never relied on a lot of pace, but intelligence and positioning, which he still has. He will add some expereince and leadership to the young backline for a year or two. Only a good GK needed and they can start the season. They will have the best summer window of all clubs.
Yes, they have also made good money when they didn't want Costa and for Morata. Amazing how they can get great money out of sales and swift they are with transfers. We could learn a thing or two. They have some failures like Kepa but they are always able to rebuild a squad to challenge every few years, which is not the case with us inspite of splashing so much.

::sonny::

With all this players signed and big money spent, would be a shame if they don't win the league

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Really exciting team Chelsea are building right now!

Third best squad in the league on paper.

With the additions they have made they are only 2 or 3 big signings away In the coming windows from truly competing.
Best squad is a reach

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
With all this player signed and big money spent, would be a shame if they don't win the league
Next season might be a bit of a stretch, but it really depends on whether Liverpool drop off. If they or City hit 95+ points, then we we'll likely finish well of the pace. I'd be satisfied with a season in which we finish with 80+ points. Whether that's enough to challenge depends on the pace set by the top 2.

The season after though, with the new players settled and possibly further additions next sumner, we should be aiming to win it all.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
What sort of deal is Thiago Silva going to be given? On a one year deal he'd be a good signing. Anyhing longer than that wouldn't be that great, especially given the comments over Willian's deal.

duffer

Scout
What sort of deal is Thiago Silva going to be given? On a one year deal he'd be a good signing. Anyhing longer than that wouldn't be that great, especially given the comments over Willian's deal.
Silva is not coming to Chelsea, it's all agent led nonsense to get him a bigger contract somewhere else.