Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I agree the priority is a lone CF. Stick Werner on the left and rotate with Pulisic. His pace completely destroys teams but we can’t wait forever and a day for his finishing touch to return.

We won’t sign a CB. We will extend Thiago’s contract for another season and look at the options next year. Stats don’t lie, our back 3 and GK are perfectly fine.

I highly doubt we will get a DM. Likeliest change to CM positions is Billy out on loan to Palace or similar quality team and Gallagher come in to take his place. One of Lofty and Barkley will be sold/loaned.

In my honest opinion I see us signing wingbacks. James being our only RWB and despite CHO doing well there I don’t think he sees that as a long term Moses deal. I’ll be surprised if Alonso and or Emerson aren’t f’d off in this next window. Both are too inconsistent.
The links to Hakimi make a lot of sense if you ask me. Can play either wingback role and would offer an intriguing attacking option that doesn't necessarily sacrifice all defensive structure (as using the likes of CHO & Pulisic often do). Still think we need another CM option - I'd prefer to send Gilmour on loan to get minutes and bring someone in Tuchel trusts to have 2 genuine options at both positions. Tchouameni would be an intriguing option to offer an additional physical dimension to the midfield.
A good physical dm before a wingback

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No. Not good enough. And we need a physical presence in there.
We got all action kante - not big
The passer jorji- not big
And the driver kova - not big
Feel like Ampadu has been hugely victimised by the dysfunction at Sheffield United. Think I'd agree that he's probably not ready for a place at Chelsea next year but it's a real pity as I think he could have kicked on further this season.

Agreed about the need for a physical presence in our midfield - personally I hope the Tchouameni links are concrete. Also, Bakayoko is coming back - perhaps this is just my nature as a Bakayoko apologist but I feel like we could do worse for a 4th choice central midfielder?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Remember Ampadu being the central CB for Leipzig vs Spurs away and he was outstanding. He just needs a chance.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Ffs the nerves set in the second the whistle went in that game
I've been bricking it for a while now. It's such a huge game, it makes it worse to me that we were the better side and should have had a bit of a cushion.

I somehow think it sets us up for a cruel exit

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Will Werner replicate Lewandowski's 2013 performance today with 4 goals? :D

Sylar

If Chelsea get to the final, imagine after the season he has had, if Werner scores the FA cup and CL winning goals in the two games.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If Chelsea get to the final, imagine after the season he has had, if Werner scores the FA cup and CL winning goals in the two games.
Torres won a corner. Hopefully Werner can do a bit more :)

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
With all the negative karma that fecker has built up this season I'm expecting a double hattrick.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Completely outplayed Madrid. Great CL campaign.

Sylar

Chelsea more often than not get it right with regards to sacking managers

They sacked Jose and Avram Grant took them to a finalworks. They sacked AVB and DiMatteo won them the trophy. Now Lampard gone and tuchel got them to the top4 and finals

Mad strategy that works. Heck wasn't Hiddink a minute or two away from a CL final too?

Shark

@NotShark

Mad strategy that works. Heck wasn't Hiddink a minute or two away from a CL final too?
It's not really a mad strategy though, in many cases It's just common sense. Romanticism when it comes to managers can be dangerous and lead to years of wasted potential. Obviously there are managers that have earned more time than others but if it's not working more time isn't going to magically fix things.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

They sacked Jose and Avram Grant took them to a finalworks. They sacked AVB and DiMatteo won them the trophy. Now Lampard gone and tuchel got them to the top4 and finals

Hiddink was interim manager in for Scolari in the 08-09 Ovrebo semi - but he was always a short term appointment.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
That was easy for them.

Controlled approach while still creating chances.

They killed that tie off but were still positive.

Their athleticism is frightening - like our 2007 team with Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha.

Bwuk

Mason Mount is brilliant. Would love a player like him at United to break through.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
I expect a lot from Havertz and Werner next season.

It is not like Werner isn't PL level. He clearly is but unfortunately his conversion rate has been horrible. But good news is that he creates a lot and is involved in so many plays.His numbers at Leipzig and for Germany show that he is a great scorer. He is missing a lot of the easy chances, which is not about PL being stronger than Bundesliga , it is about confidence and more a mental thing.

He needs to consistent score in some games in a row to gain that confidence which is needed to dominate.

With his pace , technique and link up game he can be a top PL player.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I expect a lot from Havertz and Werner next season.

It is not like Werner isn't PL level. He clearly is but unfortunately his conversion rate has been horrible. But good news is that he creates a lot and is involved in so many plays.His numbers at Leipzig and for Germany show that he is a great scorer. He is missing a lot of the easy chances, which is not about PL being stronger than Bundesliga , it is about confidence and more a mental thing.

He needs to consistent score in some games in a row to gain that confidence which is needed to dominate.

With his pace , technique and link up game he can be a top PL player.
I think he needs a striker in front of him to take the pressure off.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
One thing I thought was funny was when I watched the highlights of this game and thought that the producers has sped up our counter attacks because they look to rapid to be real.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oh, have you won the Champions League? (Disclaimer Chelsea finished finished 4th last season). Still 90 at least minutes to go.
We'd be buzzing if we're in a CL final too. Heck I'd rather be 6th and in the final than 4th and not.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's amazing that if they win, they'll have 2 CL and we'll only have 3.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh, have you won the Champions League? (Disclaimer Chelsea finished finished 4th last season). Still 90 at least minutes to go.
I haven't cracked open the champagne bottle mate. I'm just happy. I think I'm allowed to enjoy my team reaching the CL final for the first time in nearly a decade.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's amazing that if they win, they'll have 2 CL and we'll only have 3.
Maddening honestly. This popped into my head earlier.

Literally the 2nd worst final possible as a United fan.

All our history and great teams, but they'd just be 1 behind in CL titles won if they beat City.

el3mel

Maddening honestly. This popped into my head earlier.

Literally the 2nd worst final possible as a United fan.

All our history and great teams, but they'd just be 1 behind in CL titles won if they beat City.
Our 3 CLs win record is way, way too low. We should have had at least one more.